• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's......@ Redskins.....

Chicoman

Reaction score
What a great start to the season! Nice to see the offense almost play at a different level than last season and they've got three new guys in Rogers, Coates & James. It just seemed to me like this game the Steelers were able to finish drives with TD's when in years past they would end up kicking more FG's and having the drives stall in the red zone. Bring on the Bungles this week.....

Game Balls:
Ben Roethlisberger - First QB to have three receivers with 500 catches....Miller, Ward & Brown. I also think he passed Dan Fouts in passing yards tonight and Joe Montana in TD passes.....really need to enjoy every snap from Ben from here on out. He's a lock for the HoFame someday
DeAngelo Williams - Ageless wonder 143 yds 2 TD's
Eli Rogers - Welcome to the NFL kid....congrats on your first TD catch you'll never forget it.
Antonio Brown - Another day at the office 8 rec 128 yds, 2 TD's.
Jessie James - He's trying to fill huge shoes from the retirement of Heath Miller. Tonight he did a great job 5 rec for 31 yds plus some key blocks to spring Williams on a few runs
David Johnson - He wasn't involved in the passing game but he blasted Kerrigan on one running play that left an impression on me. I'm sure Kerrigan is still feeling it
Ryan Shazier - Dude was all over the field tonight....I hope his injury is not too serious
Steelers O-line - Damn these guys really opened up some holes for D Will
Cam Heyward - Wont' show in the stats but this guy was drawing double and triple teams all night

Game Goats:
Ross Cockrell - I'm ready to say I'm done with this kid. Bring on Artie Burns because Cockrell looked really bad tonight on several plays

FU's:
FU to all Bungles fans! We're coming for ya! WE DEY!!!
FU to the mother of the Skins punter who burned a Terrible Towel on Twitter before the game!

Last edited:
Cockrell never looked as if he knew what was going on. I had my doubts on Cates but made two really good catches at critical times. Roger gets some more play time could be a keeper, loved how he would go down and not get more than he needed keeping any turnovers out of the question. James for really first start, held up strong. as nice to see many names that had a very nice night on both sides of ball.

tonight cockrell reminded me a bit of Cortez Allen, and that scared me A Lot

Great game and performance both sides of the ball. With that said,..Timmons was awful. Missed tackles, wiffs, and over running left and right.

Great game and performance both sides of the ball. With that said,..Timmons was awful. Missed tackles, wiffs, and over running left and right.

And still led the team in tackles...

a big FU goes to the official that flagged AB for......twerking?!! Good grief...No Fun League for sure!!

I have to agree. They normally allow the guys to do a little dance or something. AB had just starting twerking or humping the air, whatever you call it, and the ref immediately through the flag. It wasn't excessive and he didn't use a prop. If they are throwing flags immediately on something like that, they damn well better start throwing flags for players jumping into the stands.

a big FU goes to the official that flagged AB for......twerking?!! Good grief...No Fun League for sure!!

he needs to do a salsa instead Cruz was not flagged and never has been...or could be ref just thought it was a terrible twerk and is setting himself up for a job as a judge on DWS

Kudos to the offense for not looking like it was game 1. A unit that saw very little live action in the preseason seemed very prepared, especially the OL as they communicated well with the blocking schemes opening holes, keeping Ben clean and not committing those pesky presnap "non focus" penalties (the team from Washington certainly looked more like it was game 1).

After a slow start with the tackling the D played well,in crucial situations they won the down (aside from a couple early 3rd and longs we gave up).

Good start on the road with a solid victory, now let's build on it...HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!

Davis got a lot of playing time. Seemed to be in position a lot, he will learn to wrap up better at this level with time. Be nice to see Gilbert get up to speed. Gay just can't cover a speed guy without the 10 yard cushion. Coates also had a few nice blocks especially on DWill's TD

Davis got a lot of playing time. Seemed to be in position a lot, he will learn to wrap up better at this level with time. Be nice to see Gilbert get up to speed. Gay just can't cover a speed guy without the 10 yard cushion. Coates also had a few nice blocks especially on DWill's TD

I saw Davis' after plays, but couldn't keep up with when he was on the field and/or where he was.

Glad to see the oline in your list. I hold them accountable for allowing all those great things that happened last night.

Game balls

Offense: Ben, Williams, AB, Decastro

Defense: Shazier.

My game ball goes to the Pope. Thank you Father for ensuring this dominating performance to get the season off on the right foot. :)

Steelers%20pope%20football_20160913130340011_6026278_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Gamebook at NFL.com doesn't have the snaps in it, yet. Weird.

Davis was a mixed bag last night, as to be expected from a rookie. At times I thought he looked pretty good and then I also saw him miss some easy tackles. But, he was trying and I believe the knock on him is that he doesn't like to tackle.

Davis was a mixed bag last night, as to be expected from a rookie. At times I thought he looked pretty good and then I also saw him miss some easy tackles. But, he was trying and I believe the knock on him is that he doesn't like to tackle.
Strange, I thought the opposite was true...

led team with 70 solo tackles and second with 88 total tackles ... ranked second in the nation with five forced fumbles, the second-most in a single season in Maryland history ...became first Maryland player since D’Qwell Jackson (2005) to reach 200 career solo tackles against Wisconsin (11/7) - also recorded 300th career tackle at Michigan State (11/14) ... ranked fourth in Big Ten in solo tackles/g (5.8) ... posted at least four tackles in every game in 2015

Around the ball and in the mix. Posted 298 tackles over three years as a starter. Comes firing downhill with purpose when it is time to get help against the run. Looks to lay the wood to receivers and make them feel it. Second in the nation with five forced fumbles.

An absolute lights-out hitter who generates terrific closing speed and bone-crushing collisions on a regular basis, attacking the line of scrimmage whether he is coming from safety or cornerback.

Strange, I thought the opposite was true...

he does like to tackle, he lacks a bit on wrapping up but he loves to torpedo himself and punish players, sort of like Mitchell

Last edited: