• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's..............vs Jets..........week 4

Chicoman

Reaction score
Well we saw the adjustment today at halftime that I've been waiting for all season and that was Kenny Pickett. His first action of the season was pretty much as I expected....He made some nice throws under pressure to Freiermuth on 3rd down and he made some bad throws....most notably the decision to throw it to Freiermuth on 2nd & 15 midway thru the 4th Quarter was a costly mistake for his team when there was no one open that ultimately was the deciding factor in this football game as our Steelers drop to 1-3 on the season. Zach Wilson really played great down the stretch and made the clutch throws on 3rd & 4th down that you want to see from your QB. I think alot of focus today will zero in on the Steelers Defense late in the game blowing a 10 point 4th Quarter lead....I have a few questions there when it comes to the Defense and that is why is Tyson Alualu still getting playing time over a guy like Isiah Loudermilk who has been Inactive for 4 weeks. Alualu should be cut! He is not in shape and he's a liability on the field out there! Also seeing Devin Bush several times on WR's late in the 4th QTR left me confused because it's clearly a mismatch for Devin Bush to be on a WR. Maybe it had to be injuries to Edmunds and Fitzpatrick down the stretch that left Bush out there on a WR.....the Jets took advantage of that on their final drive to take the lead. Not many positives to take from this game but there were some nice individual efforts today by several players. The team did seem to rally around Kenny Pickett in the 3rd quarter (they went 5 fore 5 on 3rd down conversions) and that was a ray of hope but it wasn't good enough. Down the stretch the Jets Defense made the stops and the Steelers Defense didn't. One glaring weakness on our Defense is that we have no one and I mean no one who can even come close to replacing TJ Watt. We need him back but I hope they don't rush him back. Malik Reed & Jamir Jones had a combined 2 tackles today and generated no pressure the whole game. Penalties really hurt the Steelers today especially on offense in the first half....they all but killed a couple drives. Looking ahead to next week I'm curious if Tomlin starts Kenny Pickett or goes back to Mitch Trubisky. I hope he sticks with Pickett because he is the future and IMO the future is now. I hate to say it but the Steelers at 1-3 right now are starting the heart & soul of their schedule ahead of them @ Buffalo, Tampa Bay, @ Miami, @ Philthy. That stretch of 4 games could result in our Steelers dropping to 1-7 before the BYE week. Maybe Pickett can make enough of a difference that we can win some of those games but it's not going to be easy. The Jets last 2 drives in the 4th Quarter 11 plays, 81 yards - TD 10 plays, 65 yards - TD.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Edmunds - In the Concussion Protocol
Cam Heyward - Elbow & Ankle that's being evaluated
Sutton - Knee being evaluated
Minkah - Ankle thats being evaluated. Was able to go back in

Game Balls:
George Pickens 6 rec 102 yds
Pat Freiermuth - 7 rec 85 yds
DeMarvin Leal - 4 tackles He really pushed the pocket and got good pressure today. We need to clone this guy!
Chris Boswell - 2 50+ yd FG's......I swear to god these NFL kickers must be juicing....I've never seen more 50+ yd FG's week in, week out.

Game Goats:
Kevin Dotson - If my count is correct he had 4 penalties today. Holding, 2 False Starts and Inelligible downfield. Didn't help the offense much today. He is NOT GOOD!
Gunner Olzewski - This guy hasn't shown us much if anything in 4 games. Not sure who else we can put back there but in 4 games now he has 2 fumbles.
Tyson Alualu - He didn't play much but his time in there he got blown off the football. This guy is not in football shape and he should be cut! Isiah Loudermilk is Inactive and shouldn't be.
Dionte Johnson - Average hands at best and only 2 receptions on the day for 11 yards. If the Steelers offense is going to be good it's got to be a guy like Johnson to lead the way.
Malik Reed & Jamir Jones - 2 tackles the entire game. Without TJ Watt this Defense is a shell.....these 2 bums are almost irrelevant out there on the field! We need better OLB Depth
Pressley Harvin - We saw 2021 Harvin today...maybe that injury is bothering him but he didn't punt well today.
Mike Tomlin - 10 days in between games and you start Trubisky only to bench him at halftime. You should have given Kenny Pickett the start so he could get the reps needed to be properly prepared for this game!

FU's:
Chase Claypool - This guy is really starting to annoy me. I see lack of effort week in, week out on his part. On Pickett's INT he got beat by a 5"8" DB. He should have caught that ball. This guy is 6'4" tall and he plays the game like a GIANT PU$$Y! 0 catches today! I just don't think Chase has the fight in him to be a WR in the NFL!

Last edited:
I would cut Mitch tomorrow and roll with Rudy as QB2, and go get a development QB3. Mitch is done with the Steelers, no reason to keep him around.
They can't cut Mitch he would count $9 Million against the cap next year.

Game balls:
Highsmith: still getting pressure w-o TJ
Minkah: balkhawk and big play waiting to happen at any moment

F. U.’s:
Claypool: what a bag of hot air.
Penalties: killed several drives
Defense: luv Cam but doesn’t look himself. No one but Minkah seems to be in position to make plays

Grey area: o- line started to make running lanes for Harris, but the penalties are terrible. Multiple illegal downfields today. Still have to give ‘em a F.U. I guess

Dionte had 2 passes to him that he should’ve had. First he wasn’t paying attention and tipped a pass that was on the money to him and causes an early interception. The second was a perfectly placed pass by Trubisky in the end zone. He was given an extension and has not lived up to it.
Pickens, threw the game costing interception instead of taking a sack or going to a check down, underthrew Claypool for his first int.
Harvin- if his hip is bothering him, sit him.
Gunner- he almost fumbled away another punt.

It should be time for Flores to get more involved with the defense.

Moore was directly responsible for 2 sacks and was beaten like drum all game. Notice Pickett hardly ever tried to escape pressure to his side of the field. That's because Moore's side, and specifically Moore's responsibility, was where the pressure was coming from.

winners.- Me I watched the game but also cleaned out and organized my 4 tackle boxes, re-lined 4 fishing poles, and set 33 tubes of assorted sizes and shapes all during game.

Losers- Mitch.- you had a chance. No it is Pickett time

FUs The announcers. thought the talkative one was Collinsworth at first.

Dionte had 2 passes to him that he should’ve had. First he wasn’t paying attention and tipped a pass that was on the money to him and causes an early interception. The second was a perfectly placed pass by Trubisky in the end zone. He was given an extension and has not lived up to it.
Pickens, threw the game costing interception instead of taking a sack or going to a check down, underthrew Claypool for his first int.
Harvin- if his hip is bothering him, sit him.
Gunner- he almost fumbled away another punt.

It should be time for Flores to get more involved with the defense.
Out of curiosity why do you think Flores should be promoted? He is our LB Coach. I would say we are incredibly soft in the middle of the field and give up tons of plays where our LB’s disappear. I see no improvement. I say this kind of tongue and cheek,I’ve got nothing against Flores. I would definitely like to see some type of improvement in the position he coaches.
By the way. We all all know how great TJ is. But all teams have major injuries.

Out of curiosity why do you think Flores should be promoted? He is our LB Coach. I would say we are incredibly soft in the middle of the field and give up tons of plays where our LB’s disappear. I see no improvement. I say this kind of tongue and cheek,I’ve got nothing against Flores. I would definitely like to see some type of improvement in the position he coaches.
By the way. We all all know how great TJ is. But all teams have major injuries.
Flores is teaching technique not scheming. If I have a multiple superbowl winning defensive coordinator sitting there, I’m having him step up

Flores is teaching technique not scheming. If I have a multiple superbowl winning defensive coordinator sitting there, I’m having him step up
Belichick is the real DC on the team. There’s a reason they maintain a solid defense every year while going through turnover constantly. Flores is overrated in that sense.

The DB is 5'8" and Claypool is 6'4" with a wingspan similar to Calvin Johnson & Julio Jones. Say what you will about this throw by Pickett....IMO it's not into Double Coverage...The Safety was 5 yards behind the throw......

Claypool should be using his arms & 6'4" frame to block out tht DB who is 8" shorter than Claypool......I'm sorry Claypool is SOFT and he needs to be called out for this poor effort on this throw.

Don't be like Coach. You could have posted this in your game balls thread.

Don't be like Coach. You could have posted this in your game balls thread.
Just an observation post game....felt it was worthy of it's own thread because it focuses on Claypool's lack of effort! You know Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson just blocks that DB out with his arms and makes the easy catch. Why can't Claypool do this? He's very similar is size and physique.

Just can’t catch in traffic. I hope he’s not looking for a contract extension anytime in the near future.

As I said in the game thread, if Pickett throws it outside the numbers where Claypool can run under it it’s a touchdown. Ball was under thrown and Claypool had to stop for it giving coverage time to get there. Sure, he could have fought harder and probably still should have caught it, but a better throw is an easy TD. Pickett threw it to him rather than throwing him open.

It’s not a big deal. Probably nervous on his first NFL pass. This kind of thing will probably happen more often than not until he gets comfortable with the speed of the game.

Not a great ball from Pickett, but a pathetic effort by Claypool. I've never seen a guy so big play so small.
Claypool actually is greatly underachieving for his skillset. Not sure why he continues to struggle but hopefully he recovers..