• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's........week 13 vs Cardinals.....

Chicoman

Reaction score
We should have expected this debacle that we all witnessed today! What is Tomlin's record vs absolutely horrible teams that the Steelers should destroy? I've lost count but I think Mike Tomlin has lost almost 50 games now to teams with a losing record and it seems, the worse the team actually is the more the Steelers get their ***** absolutely handed to them. This was a game that the Steelers should never lose to at home but they got completely dominated today in all facets of the game by the 2 Win Arizona Cardinals. Many of you can say this was a loss you couldn't see coming but honestly I saw this game as a Classic Trap Game and my intials thoughts on this one turned into reality. It started out ok but after Pickett went out with an ankle injury this game went downhill fast after the Steelers couldn't punch it into the endzone on that 4th & Goal from the 1yd line in the 2nd Quarter. Steelers Red Zone offense is still struggling to score points and it's not good. Injuries really piled up in this game with Kenny going down but the Steelers also lost Elandon Roberts & Isaac Seumalu and TJ Watt late in the game.

The offense didn't look bad in the first half but Kenny Pickett was under pressure early and often as the O-line struggled to protect and provide time for Pickett to throw the football as he faced constant pressure throughout the first half despite the Steelers offense having success running the football. The game got out of hand quickly in the second half as Arizona was able to get the running game going with James Conner and the passing game going when Elandon Roberts went down and the Cardinals had success attacking his replacement Mykal Walker over the middle of the field. Perhaps the Steelers were over confident going into this one but I'll call it the Perfect Storm.....Pickett going down to injury, Elandon Roberts going down, the costly mistakes by Mason Cole who low snapped to Tribusky that setup a short field for the Cards in the Red Zone and some costly penalties that kept Cardinal drives going was the difference maker in this debacle.

I don't have much else to add.....I think Tomlin should bear some of the blame for this loss not having this team prepared and focused going into the game on your home turf vs a 2-10 football team. This is the **** that drives me NUTS about Mike Tomlin coached football teams. I don't see it getting any better Thursday vs the Patriots.....I think they could lose Thursday night vs the Patriots to an even worse team if the Steelers can't fix the offense and players like Elandon Roberts and Kenny Pickett can't make it back onto the field. This was such a disappointment Steelers were 4 for 11 on 3rd down conversions today and that's just not going to translate into many victories. Just a sloppy game today by the Steelers.

Looking ahead to Thursday's game if the Steelers have to roll with Trubisky I can see the Patriots Defense being the difference maker in Thursday's game as they capitalize on Mitch's mistakes and he turns it over early and often! I can see this Steelers team taking another **** against an even worse team in the Patriots!

Per Mike Tomlin's Post Game:
Kenny Pickett - Ankle injury being evaluated
Elandon Roberts - Groin Injury being evaluated
Isaac Seumulo - Shoulder being evaluated
Minkah Fitzpatrick - Broken Left Hand...they casted it and he finished the game

Game Balls:
NONE! No one deserves honorable mention today when you lose to a 2-10 football team!

Game Goats:
Mason Cole - This guy has had his problems throughout his career and you saw him cost the Steelers 7 points today when he low snapped one to Trubisky that gave the Cards the ball in the Red Zone
Broderick Jones - His pass protection today was very bad, borderling turnstile out there today
Miles Killebrew - I think he had 2 tackles today but the 3 Penalties 2 of them cost the team dearly

FU's:
Mike Tomlin - This guy deservese the bulk of the blame for today's debacle....not having this team prepared and focused vs a 2-10 football team they should have destroyed!
Teryl Austin - Where was the adjustment to help Mykal Walker over the middle of the football field when Elandon Roberts went down with an injury? I can't blame Walker but Austin should have made some adjustments to help him in the 2nd half.
Matt Canada - **** YOU *******! Your fingerprints and stench are still lingering over this offense!

This team has lacked focus for 17 years now.
The players are confused and entitled… nothing changes

Early on they had focus,but that was a totally different culture build by another coach. As those guys left or retired we've come to the place we are now. It's complete and it looks ugly,disorganized, uninspiring and a shell of its former great self.

It's lazy,self absorbed and complacent.

Game Ball - ??
Goat - Walker - had a terrible game should have been taken out long before he couldnt tackle connor.
The whole Oline was terrible. They could not pick up the blitzes, couldnt score from the 1yrd line, couldnt snap the ball etc etc.......
FUs - Coaching the game was very sloppy. Wasted time outs, illegal formations, too many men on the field etc etc....
DJ for celebrating like a clown when getting crushed.

Im not blaming the QBs for this game. Between the bad snaps and having free rushers they really didnt have a chance. When Pickett had time he made some nice throws, but penalties / mistakes were too much to overcome. Mitch also did alright considering what he was given. The defense could not get off the field when it mattered.

Some UDFA punter named Gilligan (MaryAnn and Ginger would've done better, too) placed his punts better than our drafted punter.

I don't see it getting any better Thursday vs the Patriots.....I think they could lose Thursday night vs the Patriots to an even worse team if the Steelers can't fix the offense and players like Elandon Roberts and Kenny Pickett can't make it back onto the field. T
Redemption tour... James Connor got his today, Ju Ju next...

I agree with all of this but stop blaming Canada. He’s gone as he should be. Blaming Canada now only dilutes where the real blame should now lie. And that’s on Mike Tomlin. Full stop. In a fair and just world he would be fired tomorrow.

4th and 6, at Cards 27, 3 minutes and change in the 3rd, down 17-3, and Tomlin sends Boz out for a useless 3. The gods were so angered that they made Boz miss. This team has been historically pathetic at scoring TDs this year, so needing two of them, Tomlin opts for 3. I just can't anymore with this guy. He can't challenge, can't manage a clock, can't make key decisions, and can't beat also rans. Santa, bring me a new coach!

I agree with all of this but stop blaming Canada. He’s gone as he should be. Blaming Canada now only dilutes where the real blame should now lie. And that’s on Mike Tomlin. Full stop. In a fair and just world he would be fired tomorrow.
Canada's stay here was the fault of Tomlin. Tomlin's stay here is the fault of Rooney. Seems everyone is making the $$$$ so no one cares, but fans.

Game Ball to Deontae Johnson for the TD Celebration when we are getting our Azzes kicked....Now shove it up YOUR azz.....

As if the fans haven't started turning on him already, he just adds fuel to the fire.

And I'll add that Mason Cole cost us more than 7 points. He had teeth bad snaps, Pickett managed to fall on the first one, still killed the drive.

NO GAME BALLS
GOATS this coaching staff not ready or having this team ready. To many players in formation, TO after kick off because not enough player on field, O line illegal formation.
Big FU Tomlin outcoached once more and Johnson celebration, having your butt kicked all day and you celebrate.
Another FU to Tomlin not getting into Johnson face after that display on TD.

The start of the game was so good on both sides of the ball, no we didn’t get in the end zone on the offense’s first drive but the play calling was great.

I get the injuries but the game took a total 180. My gut says another 1st year coach and his staff completely pulled Tomlin and the rest of the staffs’ pants down and out adjusted us.

That never gets brought up on the national level but this happens all the time

A special FU for the play call on 4th and goal, so obvious and slow developing, huge momentum shift

Early on they had focus,but that was a totally different culture build by another coach. As those guys left or retired we've come to the place we are now. It's complete and it looks ugly,disorganized, uninspiring and a shell of its former great self.

It's lazy,self absorbed and complacent.
What's funny is if you listen to Tomlin he'll say that in that "era"( it was only 10-15 years ago) it was a different style that you can't play today. The problem with that excuse is the other 31 can't play that style either yet half of the league is not as incompetent as us. So, Cowher left everything in place (including Lebeau) and Tomlin proceeded to expose himself more and more as time went by and the roster changed over and good coaches left. It's so f*****obvious Mr. Rooney better wake up before this team becomes the Browns of 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Game ball to 56 and 24.

Game ball to 56 and 24.
i was debating on giving highsmith a gameball, but when you give up a 99 yrd drive and cant stop connor when it counts its tough to give anyone on the D a ball. Porter did well on Brown, but the PI penalty was costly.

FU: Mike Tomlin……I was sick of his BS after losing to Packers in the Bowl Repus. got at least two people at work and three family member's (fans of other teams) that are like….man he’s such a great coach. Ummm…no he ******* isn’t. They believe the media narrative. Which is almost as much BS as Mike Tomlin himself. F-Mike Tomlin.

i was debating on giving highsmith a gameball, but when you give up a 99 yrd drive and cant stop connor when it counts its tough to give anyone on the D a ball. Porter did well on Brown, but the PI penalty was costly.
PI on CB’s happen. In this case he saved a TD, giving them a chance on the next play. It sux to see, but it happens To the best of them. I can remember Woodson getting his fair share too.

FU: Mike Tomlin……I was sick of his BS after losing to Packers in the Bowl Repus. got at least two people at work and three family member's (fans of other teams) that are like….man he’s such a great coach. Ummm…no he ******* isn’t. They believe the media narrative. Which is almost as much BS as Mike Tomlin himself. F-Mike Tomlin.
Right. People hear talking heads say that Tomlin is great, and they just repeat it to sound like experts.

The start of the game was so good on both sides of the ball, no we didn’t get in the end zone on the offense’s first drive but the play calling was great.

I get the injuries but the game took a total 180. My gut says another 1st year coach and his staff completely pulled Tomlin and the rest of the staffs’ pants down and out adjusted us.

That never gets brought up on the national level but this happens all the time

A special FU for the play call on 4th and goal, so obvious and slow developing, huge momentum shift
I also thought we played like gangbusters when the game began then everything gradually began to fall apart.
It felt like this was going to be our long overdue blowout game.