• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.......................week 15.........................@ Carolina

Chicoman

Reaction score
Finishing out the string here for the Steelers 2022 they hit the road to play an equally bad Carolina Panthers team. This game felt like an old AFC North Rivalry game from the 1970's....3 yards and a cloud of dust! Pittsburgh looked really good on the offensive side of the football today as they had the running game going early and wore down a Panthers Defense pounding the rock the entire game. The really put Carolina in a hole to start of the 2nd half with a 21 play TD drive that took up almost 12 minutes of the 3rd Quarter. Trubisky was serviceable today and played mistake free football that made this one a cakewalk victory today. My only question for Trubisky is where the frig was this performance last week? He was completely wreckless last week and to see this type of performance today makes me even more upset with his piss poor effort last week! This team really should be a .500 football team right now if Mitch wasn't a complete disaster last week on the football field. I'm really starting to wonder if Matt Canada has done enough to save his job as OC....but then when I think back to this game he had his signature WTF moments...right before the 2 minute warning of the first half and the Steelers driving he ran some sort of naked reverse with Sims who was blasted for a 3 yard loss on that drive all but ending the chance for the Steelers to score......It's hard to overlook some of Canada's play calls because they are not just bad....they are OMFG, WTF BAD!

Defensively the Steelers got great pressure on Carolina and Darnold and they were able to hold their running game in check allowing just 21 yards on the ground for the Panthers rushing attack. Larry Ogunjobi was a problem up front for Carolina from the opening snap and he played at a high level the entire game. Heyward, Watt & Highsmith helped bottle up that Panthers ground game and they all had sacks on Darnold too. If there was any weakness on the Defensive side of the football the Steelers secondary gave up some big passing plays....most notably James Pierre and Cam Sutton got flagged for a bad Pass Interference Penalty but the Defense tightened up there and allowed only a Field Goal. Teryl Austin should still be FIRED after the end of the season....HE SUCKS!

If there was one thing missing from the Steelers today it was the st00pid penalties that came post possession. Both penalties on Dionte Johnson (Unsportmanlike) after a converting a 3rd down catch for a first down on that 21 play 3rd Quater drive and then the Ridiculous friggin penalty on Marcus Allen after the Steelers Defense sacked Darnold on back to back plays to setup 4th down and forever to go....Allen runs to the Panthers sideline and taunts the Panthers resulting in another penalty that cost the Steelers and gave Carolina an Automatic First Down. St00pid Penalties like this can't continue to happen against better opponents as it will cost us the victory. If they were on a Bill Bellichick team they would either be cut or dropped way down the depth chart. Tomlin needs to Discipline these guys for this dumb ****!

A few other random thoughts......George Pickens needs to be thrown the football more than 3 or 4 times a game. I hear people say he has a limited route tree. We are 14 games into the season...his route tree should be somewhat improved since the start of the season. Who is coaching our WR's? DJ Watt should be used the same way the Ratbirds use their FB Ricard. Nice to see Jaylen Warren get his first career NFL TD today. No catches today for Pat Freiermuth.....I'm sorta bummed out about that because he's my FF TE.....no points :( 3 games left this season I hope Kenny Pickett can start from here on out just to get him more experience.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
No injuries to speak of

Game Balls:
Larry Ogunjobi - He was a wrecking ball for the Steelers early and throughout the entire game....his best game as a Steeler
Najee Harris - 24 carries, 86 yds....some tough running today
Mitch Trubisky - Good day today....converted some 3rd & longs especially late in the game to run more time off the clock 17 for 22 179 yards. Steelers Offense was 12 for 16 on 3rd downs today
Dionte Johnson - 10 catches for 98 yds. He caught all 10 of his targets today....that might be a first for Johnson in his NFL career....good game but oh that Unsportsmanlike Penalty was dumb!
Steelers O-line - Good push today and they opened up some nice running lanes for our RB's.
Alex Highsmith - Good pressure from the blind side today including 1 sack

Game Goats:
James Pierre - Was a glaring weakness on Defense today!

FU's:
Marcus Allen - FU Marcus....your a DUMB A$$! Discipline, Discipline, Discipline!

Last edited:
The absolute FU's for me were the dumb discipline penalties. I was happy to see Tomlin step in and give a word. Otherwise, a pretty good game and good effort.

Finishing out the string here for the Steelers 2022 they hit the road to play an equally bad Carolina Panthers team. This game felt like an old AFC North Rivalry game from the 1970's....3 yards and a cloud of dust! Pittsburgh looked really good on the offensive side of the football today as they had the running game going early and wore down a Panthers Defense pounding the rock the entire game. The really put Carolina in a hole to start of the 2nd half with a 21 play TD drive that took up almost 12 minutes of the 3rd Quarter. Trubisky was serviceable today and played mistake free football that made this one a cakewalk victory today. My only question for Trubisky is where the frig was this performance last week? He was completely wreckless last week and to see this type of performance today makes me even more upset with his piss poor effort last week! This team really should be a .500 football team right now if Mitch wasn't a complete disaster last week on the football field. I'm really starting to wonder if Matt Canada has done enough to save his job as OC....but then when I think back to this game he had his signature WTF moments...right before the 2 minute warning of the first half and the Steelers driving he ran some sort of naked reverse with Sims who was blasted for a 3 yard loss on that drive all but ending the chance for the Steelers to score......It's hard to overlook some of Canada's play calls because they are not just bad....they are OMFG, WTF BAD!

Defensively the Steelers got great pressure on Carolina and Darnold and they were able to hold their running game in check allowing just 21 yards on the ground for the Panthers rushing attack. Larry Ogunjobi was a problem up front for Carolina from the opening snap and he played at a high level the entire game. Heyward, Watt & Highsmith helped bottle up that Panthers ground game and they all had sacks on Darnold too. If there was any weakness on the Defensive side of the football the Steelers secondary gave up some big passing plays....most notably James Pierre and Cam Sutton got flagged for a bad Pass Interference Penalty but the Defense tightened up there and allowed only a Field Goal. Teryl Austin should still be FIRED after the end of the season....HE SUCKS!

If there was one thing missing from the Steelers today it was the st00pid penalties that came post possession. Both penalties on Dionte Johnson (Unsportmanlike) after a converting a 3rd down catch for a first down on that 21 play 3rd Quater drive and then the Ridiculous friggin penalty on Marcus Allen after the Steelers Defense sacked Darnold on back to back plays to setup 4th down and forever to go....Allen runs to the Panthers sideline and taunts the Panthers resulting in another penalty that cost the Steelers and gave Carolina an Automatic First Down. St00pid Penalties like this can't continue to happen against better opponents as it will cost us the victory. If they were on a Bill Bellichick team they would either be cut or dropped way down the depth chart. Tomlin needs to Discipline these guys for this dumb ****!

A few other random thoughts......George Pickens needs to be thrown the football more than 3 or 4 times a game. I hear people say he has a limited route tree. We are 14 games into the season...his route tree should be somewhat improved since the start of the season. Who is coaching our WR's? Nice to see Jaylen Warren get his first career NFL TD today. No catches today for Pat Freiermuth.....I'm sorta bummed out about that because he's my FF TE.....no points :( 3 games left this season I hope Kenny Pickett can start from here on out just to get him more experience.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
No injuries to speak of

Game Balls:
Larry Ogunjobi - He was a wrecking ball for the Steelers early and throughout the entire game....his best game as a Steeler
Najee Harris - 24 carries, 86 yds....some tough running today
Mitch Trubisky - Good day today....converted some 3rd & longs especially late in the game to run more time off the clock 17 for 22 179 yards. Steelers Offense was 12 for 16 on 3rd downs today
Dionte Johnson - 10 catches for 98 yds. He caught all 10 of his targets today....that might be a first for Johnson in his NFL career....good game but oh that Unsportsmanlike Penalty was dumb!
Steelers O-line - Good push today and they opened up some nice running lanes for our RB's.
Alex Highsmith - Good pressure from the blind side today including 1 sack

Game Goats:
James Pierre - Was a glaring weakness on Defense today!

FU's:
Marcus Allen - FU Marcus....your a DUMB A$$! Discipline, Discipline, Discipline!
I am on the fence with Johnson. The idiotic penalty, that constant running backwards thinking he's going to get away...has he not figured out that when you catch the ball and juke the first guy, several others are right behind you coming to strip the ball? Or they will make you lose 3 yards? He played better later and the backwards thing worked for probably the only time it ever will, so it's hard to goat him. Still that guy almost pegs the dumb meter. And he is not worth his salary.

I watched Carolina absolutely savage the Seahawks defense at Seattle last week. Very impressive effort by the steelers D-line and ILBers this week. Some really good run stuffs by Bush. He took on the G one play, beat the block and dropped the RB for a loss. Steelers absolutely dominated the interior line. I simply don't understand where this was last week, when the season was on the line. Seriously, what the hell? Team did not suspect that a Tyler Huntley-led offense was going to run the ball as much as they could?

Great analysis Aaron always Chicoman!

My two cents from being at the game:

1. Johnson while an idiot with his unsportsmanlike crap is elite getting separation.

2. Pickens: i was shocked how many times he wasn't even on the field today infavor of 1 WR sets featuring Johnson. Maybe it because his body language is horrible when a play goes bad or he's not getting the ball, sometimes he's even badly late getting back in the huddle because he's visibly pouting. This guy is awesome but hopefully someone can get in his ear on this soon

A few other random thoughts......George Pickens needs to be thrown the football more than 3 or 4 times a game. I hear people say he has a limited route tree. We are 14 games into the season...his route tree should be somewhat improved since the start of the season. Who is coaching our WR's? Nice to see Jaylen Warren get his first career NFL TD today. No catches today for Pat Freiermuth.....I'm sorta bummed out about that because he's my FF TE.....no points :( 3 games left this season I hope Kenny Pickett can start from here on out just to get him more experience.

You can blame the OC. He creates the route trees for all the receivers. Exceptionally simple route trees. Technically, in the past all the receivers learn the route trees the OC uses in his game plans, so they are interchangeable. This comes from the Todd Haley system that was installed after BA left. When Haley and then Randy were OC we had WRs who ran all kinds of route trees. This OC changed that. His game plans uses a lot of motion and deception instead of actual formation/route tree match up.

I‘ll be very disappointed if Canada isn’t replaced after the season ends.

You can blame the OC. He creates the route trees for all the receivers. Exceptionally simple route trees. Technically, in the past all the receivers learn the route trees the OC uses in his game plans, so they are interchangeable. This comes from the Todd Haley system that was installed after BA left. When Haley and then Randy were OC we had WRs who ran all kinds of route trees. This OC changed that. His game plans uses a lot of motion and deception instead of actual formation/route tree match up.

I‘ll be very disappointed if Canada isn’t replaced after the season ends.
I am starting to doubt Canada will be replaced. As we win games despite of him it will only entrench him more.

All coaches will be back unless they leave on their own free will.

I am starting to doubt Canada will be replaced. As we win games despite of him it will only entrench him more.
No doubt they're focusing on beating the bad opponents opposed to getting spanked by Super Bowl contenders.

Man I hope this isn't the case. Arts and craft stores already have a shortage of crayons.

DJ catches 10 for 10 targets. I've only seen one other WR do this on the Steelers, and that was AB from Ben. To catch all your targets mean your QB has to throw catchable balls to you all game. 10ft over your head or into the ground in front of you is a target. Kudos to Trubisky to give DJ a chance to catch all of his targets.

I don't get this DJ hate at all. Converted a ton of 3 downs to keep the chains moving. Converted a 1st down on 3 defenders while 4 yards short of the 1st down. That was incredible, and he did it by doing what triggers DJ haters so much...dancing around...

Meanwhile you still want to target GP more when he had another drop on 5 targets with 2 catches. I like his potential, but he's green AF.

I want to give a shout out to the guy I usually dog. Edmunds had a fantastic game. He was aggressive, hit the RBs hard, and contested some passes. He forced a TO on a play we were flagged on, but still, I saw 1st round effort out of him today.

DJ catches 10 for 10 targets. I've only seen one other WR do this on the Steelers, and that was AB from Ben. To catch all your targets mean your QB has to throw catchable balls to you all game. 10ft over your head or into the ground in front of you is a target. Kudos to Trubisky to give DJ a chance to catch all of his targets.

I don't get this DJ hate at all. Converted a ton of 3 downs to keep the chains moving. Converted a 1st down on 3 defenders while 4 yards short of the 1st down. That was incredible, and he did it by doing what triggers DJ haters so much...dancing around...

Meanwhile you still want to target GP more when he had another drop on 5 targets with 2 catches. I like his potential, but he's green AF.

I want to give a shout out to the guy I usually dog. Edmunds had a fantastic game. He was aggressive, hit the RBs hard, and contested some passes. He forced a TO on a play we were flagged on, but still, I saw 1st round effort out of him today.
Just the one dumb taunting penalty and almost a bone head play on STs. Other than that I am right with you in liking his play today.

I might be wrong, but I dont recall Moore having his name called all game. His best game as a pro

As we've seen for the last 16 years, Shades does not fire coaches, ever. As I've said many times, Deuce isn't going to fire someone under contract and pay two coaches. But I've got to think that Tomlin is just as bad and doesn't want anyone new. Everyone who's left as far as I can recall either took another job, retired, or the team let their contract run out and I gotta think that except for Coach Peezy with his numerous drunk and disorderlies and Haley who Ben didn't like, Shades would have renewed all of them. Assistants usually get three year contracts and this is Canaduh's third year BUT (and this is not required to be public knowledge since he's not a HC) if he got an extension with his promotion to OC and has a year left then I'd say it's a better than 50/50 chance that he's back next year.

Exhibit A: ST coach Danny Smith is still here after nine years.

Last edited:

Meh. His jawing after every catch is getting old. Along with his 1st down motion. Add in his love to run in the wrong direction. The occasional dropsies that creep into his game at times..... Nope. I agree. Dude is the model WR that every team I sure would want on their team.

I am on the fence with Johnson. The idiotic penalty, that constant running backwards thinking he's going to get away...has he not figured out that when you catch the ball and juke the first guy, several others are right behind you coming to strip the ball? Or they will make you lose 3 yards? He played better later and the backwards thing worked for probably the only time it ever will, so it's hard to goat him. Still that guy almost pegs the dumb meter. And he is not worth his salary.
He hasn't realized yet that everyone in the NFL is just as fast as he his. Harris would do that too but he's gotten better.
It's almost like they don't watch film after the games.

Great analysis Aaron always Chicoman!

My two cents from being at the game:

1. Johnson while an idiot with his unsportsmanlike crap is elite getting separation.

2. Pickens: i was shocked how many times he wasn't even on the field today infavor of 1 WR sets featuring Johnson. Maybe it because his body language is horrible when a play goes bad or he's not getting the ball, sometimes he's even badly late getting back in the huddle because he's visibly pouting. This guy is awesome but hopefully someone can get in his ear on this soon

1) Johnson, I’ll giver him today but also remember Carolina is a crap team. Where has Johnson been all year? His disciplinary self is crap.

2). Pickens needs not just someone to get in his ear, he needs the HC to grab him b y the face mask and ******* lay into him about this is the big leagues and grow up. Then tell him to ******* ball out.!!!

Thanks for your insight to being at the game SIR.

Salute the nation