• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's..................week 4 @ Colts...

Chicoman

Reaction score
Well I missed the entire first quarter of this game due to the fact that I couldn't find a good streaming site for this game and my usual goto is apparently been down all day. If you had told me this team would be 3-1 through September I would have said I'd be happy with that but to start the season 3-0 and go into Indianapolis with a chance to go 4-0 for September and blow this one like they did today is inexcusable! They had a chance right up the very end to get the win but they just couldn't overcome the miscues throughout this game that caused them to drop to 3-1 in a heartbreaker! I'll give credit to Justin Fields for bring this team back from the brink of disaster in the 2nd half of this one but he also had a fumble on the Colts side of the field that cost them points as well as a fumble late on the final drive. Add to this George Pickens fumble in the 2nd Quarter near the Colts 5 yd line that as it looked like the Steelers were going to score a TD. The Steelers looked flat today out there to start the game and it was 17-0 before we knew it. Coming out lack luster to start a game seems more common with Mike Tomlin as our Head Coach and it has become "The Standard" for a Mike Tomlin coached team! Sorta reminded me of Super Bowl 45...at least the start of it anyway! Defensively the Steelers Defense was average at best today the entire game giving up too many third down conversions (8 for 15) to Joe Flacco & the Colts that sustained long scoring drives for the Colts. I for one am certainly glad Najee Harris did not receive an extension this off-season. He is a sure handed RB and is a strong runner once he gets going but he has no burst that you like to see from a RB and his vision is average at best! Heck seeing Cordarelle Patterson tear it up on one drive before he got injured....he might be our best option at RB! He certainly needs to be more involved in the offense.....he's a dynamic football player out there. Our offensive line is banged up and losing James Daniels today makes us a little thin at Guard...hopefully Semulo can make it back next week and Daniels isn't severely hurt. I'll say this now....Broderick Jones is looking more and more like Ereck Flowers each and every week. I'm not ready to give up on him but he's not good. I saw him getting pushed right into Fields more times than I cared to count. He was a train wreck today....thinking of him matching up against Micah Parsons next week could be ugly. This was a difficult loss because the game was very winable but for now here we sit at 3-1 and it's back home for a nice 3 game stand vs the Cowboys, Jets & Giants before our BYE Week! Did Justin Fields do enough today to win the starting job or do you give Russell Wilson a chance next week vs Cowboys?

Per Tomlin's Post Game: He gave no injury updates
Cordarelle Patterson - Ankle
James Daniels - Ankle/Knee

Game Balls:
Deshon Elliott - 8 solo tackles today 12 total....seemed like he was the only guy on Defense out there playing his *** off!
Pat Freiermuth - 5 rec for 57 yds 1 TD today......had a couple nice blocks out there on runs today too. Good game for Muth!
Justin Fields - 22 for 34 312 yds 1 TD, 2 rushing TD's.....he brought us back in the 2nd half but his fumble in the 3rd Quarter took points off the board.

Game Goats:
Mike Tomlin - His legacy will always be never having the team prepared to play and falling behind early! Super Bowl 45 was a pefect example of that!
Broderick Jones - This guy is starting to remind me of Ereck Flowers (Giants 1st Rd Draft Choice in 2015) Kid was a B-U-S-T! Broderick reminds me of him....especially today...gave up 2 sacks plus too many pressures being wakled right back into Justin Fields lap!
Najee Harris - beside a 32 yd catch & run he shows nothing. No burst, poor vision.....glad the Steelers didn't extend this kid! Cordarelle had more rushing yards on 1 drive than Najee had the enitre game!
Joey Porter Jr - 2 dropped INT's that could have been the difference in the game today! Time to hit the JUGGS machine! Gotta rebound next week...he going to be matched up with Ceedee Lamb!

FU's:
FU to the official who called Helmet to Helmet on Minkah Fitzpatrick that extended the Colts drive. Wasn't helmet to helmet but how the **** do you expect a guy running at break neck speed to stop on a dime? He did pull up when he saw the incomplete pass!
FU to the idiots who allow the NFL to play games on Artificial Turf. The **** is terrible to play on! None of those injuries today happen on a natural playing surface! Get rid of Artificial Turf!

Last edited:
Why we continued to rush 4 against old Bert on third and long is mind boggling to me. Bert was like 6 for 7 for 6 1st downs on third downs.....🥴

Frazier told reporters that he was in the middle of calling out protections when McCormick gave him the tap to snap the ball. I didn't see a tap. Others say there was no tap. In any event, it was a costly mistake.

Game Balls to AS. atb17-0 last year, they would have tried to Jet sweep their way out of it. AS play calling made it a very winnable game.

Game Goats- TA. they have beaten Flacco many times by blitzing him and making him decide quick. TA gave him all day to pick the D apart
Refs- but that is every week so yeah

FUs- to 'Fans" giving up on their team

Justin Fields was the best player on the field for the Steelers this week.

Tough games for Joey Porter and George Pickens. Both had some costly mistakes.

A game like this you have to put a lot on the coaching. The defense was shell shocked and there were some questionable decisions offensively, particularly early on.

Down 17- 0 early was really bad. Matt Canada said this team wasn't geared to come from behind. They still aren't. It's tomlins way of doing things. Even with smith....same.

They ran on us effectively early and it paid off for them in the end. Why couldn't we stop the run?

Down 17- 0 early was really bad. Matt Canada said this team wasn't geared to come from behind. They still aren't. It's tomlins way of doing things. Even with smith....same.

They ran on us effectively early and it paid off for them in the end. Why couldn't we stop the run?
They didn't come from behind but they were in position to come from behind. They cost themselves points in the second half and were a bad snap away from possibly having a game-tying or game-winning drive. Either way, they were in position to make a comeback.

Justin Fields was the best player on the field for the Steelers this week.

Tough games for Joey Porter and George Pickens. Both had some costly mistakes.

A game like this you have to put a lot on the coaching. The defense was shell shocked and there were some questionable decisions offensively, particularly early on.
terrible fumble by Pickens but 7 catches for 113 yards

terrible fumble by Pickens but 7 catches for 113 yards
100%
Pickens had a rough day for Pickens. He still carried the offense along with pat and Fields. I am liking justin more and more every week. He played great today.
If Tomlin doesn't go for it on 4th down early and if Patterson played the entire game we win that game despite the defense crapping the bed.
Defense looked to be in playoff form. Embarrassing

There are so many things I’m not sure where to begin.
The goats
Najee. He was about effective as a paper hammer. He has every opportunity to show that he is the stud back.
33 year old Corderelle Patterson was moving through the defense like a hot knife through butter.
George. The goat moment, carrying the ball like a loaf of bread killing a long drive.
Tomlin/Ausitn-especially Tomlin. How many times has he faced Flacco and he didn’t know how to defend him? The few times he blitzed him he was effective. He continued to rush 4 and play zone behind it. Flacco picked it apart like he was Dan Marino.

Game Balls
Fields. After the second fumble he became a goldfish. The happiest animal in the world. He showed mettle
Elliott. He was a good pickup
Darnell. He needs more targets. He was moving through the secondary like Rosie O’Donnell to the front of the buffet line.
Muth. That TD.

I would say FU to the refs but that’s low hanging fruit. In a sense, the Steelers needed an as kicking on get it on film. It’s easier to see what they did wrong after a loss than after being 4-0.

Gameballs - Heyward played well, Fields brought the team back with little help.
Goats - Porter couldn't cover the WRs and when he did he couldn't catch the ball.
TJ - I'm sure he was being held alot but that is "expected." He virtually did nothing today.
Queen - He was terrible early
TA - Bad game plan... Not many blitzes and had LBs on WRs way too much.
FUs - Flacco just because

Offensive drive 1- was kept alive by a horrid call on the colts, it should have been an embarrasing 3-out, but instead got to the 36 of the colts before stalling on a dumbass personal foul on the Oline...
on 4th down, at the 41 yard line of the colts, we opted to punt like utter idiots...and down 7-0, we passed up a 58 yard field goal in a dome.. with a kicker making them regularly... had we missed, they would have gotten it on the 48 or 49 yard line... we punted from their 41 in a dome... it was cringy... it gets 3 out of 5 facepalms 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Offensive series 2- so the last series ended on a stupidly conservative call... this one ended on an idiotically obtuse aggressive one.. now down 14 points.. we get a nice 7 yard pickup on a first down pass... then run it twice for 2 total yards... now on fourth and 1.. ON OUR OWN 39... aka IN MODERN KICKERS FIELD GOAL RANGE.., we go for it with a Third Consecutive run, a QB sneak from a shotgun formation... this is our first of a unheard of four 5/5 facepalms🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️..

Offensive series 3- perfectly normal 3-out.. punted on 4th and 3 from our 37... 1facepalm for tge 3-out 🤦🏻‍♂️

Offensive series 4- get pinned on our own 4... have a magnificent drive down to the 5, where Pickens has a Plaxico Burress type idiot fumble trying to make something more out of a already good play.. our second 5/5 facepalm 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Offensive series 5. Start it off with a sack, but get a 50 yard Field goal out of it... best drive of the half... no facepalms,2 happy faces😁😁

Halftime

Offensive series 6. This stalled on a bad delay of game penalty at the indy 48 we would have had a first down in their side of tge field withoutvthat penalty ...2facepalms...🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Offensive series 7. WE GOT THE ******* BALL ON THEIR 33... Fields somehow managed to strip sack himself at the 42... in a game of WTFs, it was the WTF'est moment5 facepalms 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Offensive drive 8. On the power of a 38 yard pass to Pickens, tge O gets its first td of the game four happy faces.. docked one for the false start.. 😁😁😁😁

Offensive drive 9. Najeh take a pass for 32 yards and we get a second straight TD. 5/5 smiles😁😁😁😁😁

Offensive drive 10. A 37 yard pass to pickens and a herculean effort from Muth got us a third straight TD 5/5😁😁😁😁😁

Offensive drive 11... started off well.. but crumbled under the pressure.. a 12 yard bad snap fumble lost 12 yards and ultimately we turned it over on downs.. 5-5 facepalms again 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Game Balls to AS. atb17-0 last year, they would have tried to Jet sweep their way out of it. AS play calling made it a very winnable game.

Game Goats- TA. they have beaten Flacco many times by blitzing him and making him decide quick. TA gave him all day to pick the D apart
Refs- but that is every week so yeah

FUs- to 'Fans" giving up on their team
Right there with ya…

As a Dawg-Steeler fan I had the pleasure of watching the same arc to both games this weekend🤦🏻‍♂️ didn’t give up the dawgs down 28 sure wasn’t giving up on my Steelers down only 17 and getting the ball. If they did something one half, turn the tables in the 2nd half.

Game balls: CP for starting the engine for a boat that was dead in the water and Fields for staying on the ship playing the captain role even though it was full of holes and sinking.

Game Goats: The Mike challenge in the first half was very suspect and gave me flashbacks, the Shotgun draw on 4th and short just flat stupid…that didn’t seem like an AS call (would love to know who made it) other than that call AS had a decent plan that would’ve worked even with the porous D.

The GP fumble was a killer, he’s by far our best playmaker and must learn ball security. That wasn’t his first crazy sideline fumble…he MUST learn to achieve his potential. The Fields drop back scramble sack and alleged fumble also a killer (otherwise he had a solid game behind that awful OL performance). Then despite all the woes of the D (absolute garbage yesterday) they still had a chance that was killed by the Frazier snap setting us back and Naj trying to get that elusive extra yard when the sideline was screaming “I’m right here, stop the clock!”

FUs: Plenty of contributors to the effort in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Najee just looks bad, real bad, almost as bad as those blind zebras bad.

Can’t be too mad at 3-1, leading the division and having 3 road games outta the way tho with a youngish QB making positive strides behind an absolute MASH unit of an OL.

Last edited:
Well I missed the entire first quarter of this game due to the fact that I couldn't find a good streaming site for this game and my usual goto is apparently been down all day. If you had told me this team would be 3-1 through September I would have said I'd be happy with that but to start the season 3-0 and go into Indianapolis with a chance to go 4-0 for September and blow this one like they did today is inexcusable! They had a chance right up the very end to get the win but they just couldn't overcome the miscues throughout this game that caused them to drop to 3-1 in a heartbreaker! I'll give credit to Justin Fields for bring this team back from the brink of disaster in the 2nd half of this one but he also had a fumble on the Colts side of the field that cost them points as well as a fumble late on the final drive. Add to this George Pickens fumble in the 2nd Quarter near the Colts 5 yd line that as it looked like the Steelers were going to score a TD. The Steelers looked flat today out there to start the game and it was 17-0 before we knew it. Coming out lack luster to start a game seems more common with Mike Tomlin as our Head Coach and it has become "The Standard" for a Mike Tomlin coached team! Sorta reminded me of Super Bowl 45...at least the start of it anyway! Defensively the Steelers Defense was average at best today the entire game giving up too many third down conversions (8 for 15) to Joe Flacco & the Colts that sustained long scoring drives for the Colts. I for one am certainly glad Najee Harris did not receive an extension this off-season. He is a sure handed RB and is a strong runner once he gets going but he has no burst that you like to see from a RB and his vision is average at best! Heck seeing Cordarelle Patterson tear it up on one drive before he got injured....he might be our best option at RB! He certainly needs to be more involved in the offense.....he's a dynamic football player out there. Our offensive line is banged up and losing James Daniels today makes us a little thin at Guard...hopefully Semulo can make it back next week and Daniels isn't severely hurt. I'll say this now....Broderick Jones is looking more and more like Ereck Flowers each and every week. I'm not ready to give up on him but he's not good. I saw him getting pushed right into Fields more times than I cared to count. He was a train wreck today....thinking of him matching up against Micah Parsons next week could be ugly. This was a difficult loss because the game was very winable but for now here we sit at 3-1 and it's back home for a nice 3 game stand vs the Cowboys, Jets & Giants before our BYE Week! Did Justin Fields do enough today to win the starting job or do you give Russell Wilson a chance next week vs Cowboys?

Game Balls:
Deshon Elliott - 8 solo tackles today 12 total....seemed like he was the only guy on Defense out there playing his *** off!
Pat Freiermuth - 5 rec for 57 yds 1 TD today......had a couple nice blocks out there on runs today too. Good game for Muth!
Justin Fields - 22 for 34 312 yds 1 TD, 2 rushing TD's.....he brought us back in the 2nd half but his fumble in the 3rd Quarter took points off the board.

Game Goats:
Mike Tomlin - His legacy will always be never having the team prepared to play and falling behind early! Super Bowl 45 was a pefect example of that!
Broderick Jones - This guy is starting to remind me of Ereck Flowers (Giants 1st Rd Draft Choice in 2015) Kid was a B-U-S-T! Broderick reminds me of him....especially today...gave up 2 sacks plus too many pressures being wakled right back into Justin Fields lap!
Najee Harris - beside a 32 yd catch & run he shows nothing. No burst, poor vision.....glad the Steelers didn't extend this kid! Cordarelle had more rushing yards on 1 drive than Najee had the enitre game!
Joey Porter Jr - 2 dropped INT's that could have been the difference in the game today! Time to hit the JUGGS machine! Gotta rebound next week...he going to be matched up with Ceedee Lamb!

FU's:
FU to the official who called Helmet to Helmet on Minkah Fitzpatrick that extended the Colts drive. Wasn't helmet to helmet but how the **** do you expect a guy running at break neck speed to stop on a dime? He did pull up when he saw the incomplete pass!
FU to the idiots who allow the NFL to play games on Artificial Turf. The **** is terrible to play on! None of those injuries today happen on a natural playing surface! Get rid of Artificial Turf!

Admirable summation Chico. Team did not step up in the first half, and performed like they were just waking up. Point of emphasis to your review is on the FU’s to the officials. Falco’s right, it is low hanging fruit, but Land Clark and his crew are absolutely atrocious. Flacco’s TD to Downs, TJ was being held like a mother corralling a toddler. He had him dead to rights and was wrapped up like a ball carrier. Minkha’s BS call, the side judge was reaching for his flag before the players hit (the official pool report stated Minkha hit the head of a defenseless receiver, which also was BS). HelI, I thought the RTP against Indy was crap as well.

Land Clark’s crew has thrown 60 penalties (accepted) in 4 games. Thats 1/3 of the entire amount his crew called in 2023, of which they were one of the highest flag throwing crews. Additionally, in 4 games, they have penalized teams almost 500 yards, that’s AVERAGING 15 penalties/game. It’s no wonder Land Clark hasn’t officiated a playoff game in four years as a Referee. His crews disrupts games, plain and simple.

Game Balls:

Game Goats:

FU's:
Next time inbox me for that streaming site…

Anderson Cleaning up the pile might have been the dumbest play of the season. Like if they were giving the back thr business I kinda get it. WTF was he thinking.

Before yesterday, I was thinking my prediction of 9-8 was modest, now I’m back to thinking it’s about right.

Definitely have to give kudos for the offense, AS and the unit righted the ship after a slow start, injuries and some stupid plays
Big FU to the defensive unit and coaches....the Colts exposed them early (truly unacceptable) and instead of stepping up, they curled up in a ball.
They make on stop after a Steelers TD, this game is a win.
Watt, Heyward, Queen, and Porter embarrassed themselves today, especially with a old backup QB stepping in cold....and behind a rookie C
If Taylor doesn't get hurt, he goes for 150+!
Watching the TE chip Watt, then run wide open on a 3rd & 10 in for TD summed up the defense today....failure at every level.