• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats, & FU's...........week 5..................vs Ratbirds

Chicoman

Reaction score
Well all I gotta say is what a performance by our Defense today, especially in the 2nd half! So many guys on the Defense today stepped up today with solid tackling and excellent effort that was the difference in this game! They really did a great job holding Lamar Jackson in check and didn't let him get out of the pocket often but he did have a 26 yd run on a designed QB Keeper in the first Quarter to keep a drive going. Ravens receivers helped the Steelers today dropping 7 passes this game including a couple that could have gone for TD's to Flowers (who fell down) and Agholor (Jackson threw him a perfect pass right in his hands). So many individual performances in this one by guys on the Defense that deserve recognition. As for the offense it's still absolute trash and at the heart of it is Matt Canada who really shouldn't have a job after this week but I think Kenny Pickett saved his *** from being FIRED with a 4th Quarter comeback against the Ratbirds. The O-line really showed some signs of life in the 2nd half giving Pickett a little more time and making some running lanes for Najee Harris & Jaylen Warren. Pickett is definitely a work in progress as our starting QB and my god if he has any faults it's that he needs to step up into the pocket and throw the football instead of panicking and scrambling to his left. Canada's play calling is something I'll never understand....too many guys bunched up together and too many throws outside the numbers and not enough passes and routes over the middle of the field. We won today despite Matt Canada.....we all pretty much feel this guy is a liability to this team and his playcalling is evidence of that. Feels good to get the win here today vs our arch-rivals and going into the bye week with a win is exactly what this team needed. George Pickens continues to devlop into a quality WR.....had his best game as a Steeler today and Jaylen Warren has the Heart of a Champion......how can you not like an appreciate the effort this kid brings to the game! I think this was Kenny Picketts 5th 4th Quarter comeback in his young career.....I can only imagine how good he could be if he had a OC the caliber of Eric Bienemy or Kyle Shanahan. Let's enjoy this one for the next week or so.....I couldn't chart the passes today because my stream kept going in and out in the first half......try again next week.

BTW for your viewing pleasure....here's the Ratbirds Message Board right about the time of the Blocked Punt....it just keeps getting better the further you read on... https://forum.russellstreetreport.c...%96-Sunday-October-8th-2023-1-PM-(EDT)/page88

As Per Tomlin's Post Game:
It was Steelers/Ravens....a highly contested game controlled by the Defenses. Tomlin credits Killebrrew with the blocked punt that provided the spark for the team in the 4th Quarter.
TJ Watt - Finger being looked at
Calvin Austin - Possible Concussion but was able to go back in late in the game after passing the protocol test in the tent. That was the reason Gunner was back there for the punt return.
Larry Ogunjobi - Shaken up in some way....no more information

Game Balls:
TJ Watt - 2 sacks today 1 Fumble Recovery
Alex Highsmith - 2 tackles, 1 sack, 1 Forced Fumble....without Watt & Highsmith I feel like we would be 0-5 right now. These guys really are the team MVP's thru 5 games
Kwon Alexander - 6 tackles, 1 sack - Did a really good job today spying on Lamar Jackson when he was in there
Cole Holcomb - 9 tackles
Elandon Roberts - 8 tackles....all 3 ILB's really were solid fundamentally today and all of them did a great job tackling the ball carrier
Larry Ogunjobi - Forced a fumble today and was very disruptive upfront...hopefully his injury is not serious
Joey Porter Jr. - Teryl Austin says he's not ready to start....Umm yeah I'm going to disagree there. First career INT today and it was HUGE! Took at least a FG off the board for the Rats. Start this kid!
Jaylen Warren - This kid plays with more heart than anyone else on that offense! I applaud his effort week in, week out! 9 carries 40 yds 3 rec 39 yds
George Pickens - Developing really nicely in his 2nd year...best game as a Steeler. 6 rec, 130 yds 1 TD 1 rush 16 yds. By George I think he's getting it!

Game Goats:
Gunner Olszewski - This guy needs to get on with his life's work. He fumbles more on kickoff & punt returns than Dwight "And the Family" Stone! Why is he on the roster?

FU's:
Matt Canada - **** THIS GUY! HE SUCKS! We won despite him! Unfortunately I think Pickett saved his job today for the remainder of the season. I'm still hopeful he gets FIRED!

Well all I gotta say is what a performance by our Defense today, especially in the 2nd half! So many guys on the Defense today stepped up today with solid tackling and excellent effort that was the difference in this game! They really did a great job holding Lamar Jackson in check and didn't let him get out of the pocket often but he did have a 26 yd run on a designed QB Keeper in the first Quarter to keep a drive going. Ravens receivers helped the Steelers today dropping 7 passes this game including a couple that could have gone for TD's to Flowers (who fell down) and Agholor (Jackson threw him a perfect pass right in his hands). So many individual performances in this one by guys on the Defense that deserve recognition. As for the offense it's still absolute trash and at the heart of it is Matt Canada who really shouldn't have a job after this week but I think Kenny Pickett saved his *** from being FIRED with a 4th Quarter comeback against the Ratbirds. The O-line really showed some signs of life in the 2nd half giving Pickett a little more time and making some running lanes for Najee Harris & Jaylen Warren. Pickett is definitely a work in progress as our starting QB and my god if he has any faults it's that he needs to step up into the pocket and throw the football instead of panicking and scrambling to his left. Canada's play calling is something I'll never understand....too many guys bunched up together and too many throws outside the numbers and not enough passes and routes over the middle of the field. We won today despite Matt Canada.....we all pretty much feel this guy is a liability to this team and his playcalling is evidence of that. Feels good to get the win here today vs our arch-rivals and going into the bye week with a win is exactly what this team needed. George Pickens continues to devlop into a quality WR.....had his best game as a Steeler today and Jaylen Warren has the Heart of a Champion......how can you not like an appreciate the effort this kid brings to the game! I think this was Kenny Picketts 5th 4th Quarter comeback in his young career.....I can only imagine how good he could be if he had a OC the caliber of Eric Bienemy or Kyle Shanahan. Let's enjoy this one for the next week or so.....I couldn't chart the passes today because my stream kept going in and out in the first half......try again next week.

BTW for your viewing pleasure....here's the Ratbirds Message Board right about the time of the Blocked Punt....it just keeps getting better the further you read on... https://forum.russellstreetreport.c...%96-Sunday-October-8th-2023-1-PM-(EDT)/page88

It was Steelers/Ravens....a highly contested game controlled by the Defenses. Tomlin credits Killebrrew with the blocked punt that provided the spark for the team in the 4th Quarter.
Calvin Austin - Possible Concussion but was able to go back in late in the game after passing the protocol test in the tent. That was the reason Gunner was back there for the punt return.

Game Balls:
Alex Highsmith - 2 tackles, 1 sack, 1 Forced Fumble....without Watt & Highsmith I feel like we would be 0-5 right now. These guys really are the team MVP's thru 5 games
Kwon Alexander - 6 tackles, 1 sack - Did a really good job today spying on Lamar Jackson when he was in there
Cole Holcomb - 9 tackles
Elandon Roberts - 8 tackles....all 3 ILB's really were solid fundamentally today and all of them did a great job tackling the ball carrier
Larry Ogunjobi - Forced a fumble today and was very disruptive upfront...hopefully his injury is not serious
Joey Porter Jr. - Teryl Austin says he's not ready to start....Umm yeah I'm going to disagree there. First career INT today and it was HUGE! Took at least a FG off the board for the Rats. Start this kid!
Jaylen Warren - This kid plays with more heart than anyone else on that offense! I applaud his effort week in, week out! 9 carries 40 yds 3 rec 39 yds
George Pickens - Developing really nicely in his 2nd year...best game as a Steeler. 6 rec, 130 yds 1 TD 1 rush 16 yds. By George I think he's getting it!

Game Goats:
Gunner Olszewski - This guy needs to get on with his life's work. He fumbles more on kickoff & punt returns than Dwight "And the Family" Stone! Why is he on the roster?

FU's:
Matt Canada - **** THIS GUY! HE SUCKS! We won despite him! Unfortunately I think Pickett saved his job today for the remainder of the season. I'm still hopeful he gets FIRED!
Nice post. I agree 100% with all of it. I will add....nothing.

Another classic Steelers-Ravens game. Steelers are lucky that the Ravens dropped 4-5 passes or it might not have been close.

FU to the officials again. Missed a hold on Highsmith, probably several, and a couple PI calls including one in the endzone.

Steelers should start thinking structuring their salary cap to include an extension for Pickens. Hold the 2022 draft today and he’s a top 5 pick.

I would add Broderick Jones to game balls. Just a really, really solid outing. Good in both pass and run blocking. Dan Moore may have lost his job.

Another classic Steelers-Ravens game. Steelers are lucky that the Ravens dropped 4-5 passes or it might not have been close.

FU to the officials again. Missed a hold on Highsmith, probably several, and a couple PI calls including one in the endzone.

Steelers should start thinking structuring their salary cap to include an extension for Pickens. Hold the 2022 draft today and he’s a top 5 pick.
Last count that I remember it was at 7.

Well, to be fair, as bad as Okafor has been the last two weeks there may be an opening on the other side.
I would put Moore over there when he returns.

We are lucky they dropped those passes. Enjoy the win. Lady luck doesn't hang around long.

Nice write up as always Chico. Also want to give a shout out to Harmon’s kid Myles Killibrew whose blocked punt for a safety gave the team a shot of adrenaline that was badly needed.
Also, Matt Canada still holding this offense back. There never seems to be any rythem to his offensive game plan. It’s just a hodge podge of plays with no real scheme. Same plays every week, no motion at the los, receivers bunched together, Kenny running for his life, can’t audible.
Nah, they won in spite of Canada who should not be left off the hook after this win.

We are lucky they dropped those passes. Enjoy the win. Lady luck doesn't hang around long.
and the ravens are lucky that several key flags were not thrown, at least two obvious PI calls and who knows how many holding calls against TJ and HIghsmith

Game Balls:
Watt and Highsmith - it took them awhile to warm up, but once they did they made huge plays.
Alexander - he's a tone setter on the inside. Just a solid gameand came up with some big plays.
Ogunjobi - the forced fumble was huge.
Jones - nice to finally see him in the staring lineup, I thought he played well.
Warren - he was in there during crunch time for a reason, he can make plays. Created his own yards in crucial moments.
Baltimore WRs and TEs - thank you for all the dropped passes and keeping the Steelers in the game.

Goats:
Gunner - why is he still on the team?
Cole - just physically getting beat this year.
Canada - still a garbage scheme.
Tomlin - for still employing Canada.

Game Balls:
Highsmith - it took them awhile to warm up, but once they did they made huge plays.

Cole - just physically getting beat this year.

Highsmith started slow (and poor) but he absolutely turned it on.

Cole is odd this year. One play he looks like a literal turnstile and a couple plays later he is delivering a solid NFL run block. His inconsistency is a major issue.

Game Balls:
Cole Holcomb - 9 tackles

Game Goats:

FU's:
Nice job Chico, nothing to add other than, I would guess Canada did NOT call the TD play. He had no emotion when they showed the booth. Just like someone who knows, “I didnt call that play…..#*#$&”

Goat:
“Harbs”
:D:D:D

Agree with all. There is some lipstick on a pig here but like I told a buddy they beat gazillion dollar mvp qb playing basically a terrible offensive game. Couple notes:
Gunner is going to be gone
Canada should be gone.
Warren needs to be rb one which really isn't that big of a deal.

Fan base needs a game ball. We were down, up, confused, down up,up, watching Canada wanted throw up, sky high then down and finally a very ugly win against the Ravens'

PS extra game ball to Warren who does not give up on a sad offense
Pickens, huge catches and three great blocks ( throw him the ball)
Watt, Highsmith Holcom, Aleander, Roberts made plays when needed

Harbaugh is not a great coach. He is a poor man’s cowher with a lot of the Chin’s bad aspects… he really should have been fired but that fluke playoffs where we really should have slammed the door on him, but let him sneak in after several years missing them saved his job…

I don’t really think any coach in the AFC north rises above “ good” most years…

Game Balls:
Cole Holcomb - 9 tackles

Game Goats:

FU's:

Excerpt from Ravens Board:
purple_city39
purple_city39 is offline. Probably at the fridge getting a beer.
Veteran Poster
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png
reputation_highpos.png

Join DateJul 2017Posts4,234

Re: Game Thread: Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers — Week 5 – Sunday, October 8th, 2023 - 1 PM (EDT)​

Who the **** is Warren??? Put Najee back in there.

and the ravens are lucky that several key flags were not thrown, at least two obvious PI calls and who knows how many holding calls against TJ and HIghsmith

The refs are just not going to call the penalties. I no longer expect holding to be called on opposing offensive tackles. It makes the game more enjoyable.

We won thanks to a handful of players ( Pickens, and Warren ) and the rookie LT Jones has himself a job with the starting unit.

Fan base needs a game ball. We were down, up, confused, down up,up, watching Canada wanted throw up, sky high then down and finally a very ugly win against the Ravens'

PS extra game ball to Warren who does not give up on a sad offense
Pickens, huge catches and three great blocks ( throw him the ball)
Watt, Highsmith Holcomb, Alexander, Roberts made plays when needed
Highsmith had a career high in pressures. He is picking his game up from last year's decent showing.