• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's...........Week 6 @ RAMS.....

Chicoman

Reaction score
A lucky *** road win for the Steelers today with a little help from the officials and Sean McVay the RAMS Head Coach who used all his timeouts early in the 4th Quarter and it left him with no challenges at crunch time. Maybe it was just me but that 4th Quarter 80 yd drive by the Steelers with the game tied at 17 was the best the Steelers offense has looked all season. Not going to give any credit to Matt Canada because he's still ******* attrocious and should be FIRED regardless but they executed very good on that drive capping it off with a 4 yd TD run by Najee Harris to go up 24-17 with 7 minutes to play in the game. Dionte Johnson & George Pickens both need control their emotions and learn from their mistakes today because they both made critical mistakes in the 4th Quarter that almost cost us the game. Chalk up another 4th Quarter comeback for Kenny Pickett.....if my count is correct that is his 6th 4th Quarter come from behind victory in 18 games. Defensively the Steelers bent but didn't break today and got better as the game went along. TJ Watt started things going in the second half after the Rams up 9-3 Watt dropped into coverage and stepped in front of a Matt Stafford pass for the INT and it swung momentum to the Steelers as Pickett and the offense was able to finish the job with a 3 play 7 yard drive to take a 10-9 lead. Steelers Defense today gave up 366 yards and 154 yds of it to Puka Nacua but on the positive they held Cooper Kupp to 2 receptions for 29 yds and Cooper dropped 2 passes early in the game also....that he should have caught. There were some good individual efforts today and one of the bright spots on Defense was Minkah Fitzpatrick in run support after a rough start where the Rams seemed to be running with good success Minkah stepped up and finished the game with 11 tackles. I thought Joey Porter did pretty good today with his extended play time but we heard he wasn't a good tackler....well that was apparent today but hey that kid can cover pretty damn good! We just need his Poppa to teach this kid how to man up and tackle the ball carrier. One last note on the offense the play calling is still too predictible when they are Under Center & in Shotgun but they seemed to use more of the entire field today when throwing the football. I also thought that it would have been nice since they were able to run the football today if we could have had a couple play action pass plays but we saw none of that. Also I know Freiermuth is injured by my god man....they have a MOUNTAIN of a man in Darnell Washington.....get this kid the football so we can see what he can do. Lets enjoy this one for 24 hours....now the Steelers have the next 3 games at Home vs Jacksonville, Tenessee & Green Bay. All winable games......still want to see this offense improve and get more explosive....the talent is there....Matt Canada is ******* the issue....but were stuck with this turd brain for the rest of this season....GOD HELP US! Here's a sheet showing the play calling and passing chart for your eyes.....

393483128_857096689159857_8807517576524290223_n.jpg

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
It's a fight, it's always a fight!
Cole Holcomb - Ankle injury but was able to return
other plays with the usual bumps and bruises but no more significant injuries

Game Balls:
Kenny PIckett - 2 nice TD drives in the 4th Quarter....made some good throws and this was his 6th 4th Quarter comeback in 18 games....finished completing his last 8 throws in the game
George Pickens - 5 rec 107d yds......he needs to be targeted a minimum of 10x per game.
Dionte Johnson - You can see how important DJ is to this offense....5 rec 79 yds.
Chris Boswell - His FG kicking this season is HUGE! Big 53 yd FG today
Minkah Fitzpatrick - 11 tackles today.....he was excellent in run support
Larry Ogunjobi - 4 tackles, 1 sack - He was very disruptive up front today especially in the 2nd half
Nick Herbig - 3 tackles 1 sack - first sack as a rookie....welcome to the NFL Mr. Herbig. Nice spot duty work today
TJ Watt - No sacks today but he had a big INT to start the 2nd Half and almost took it to the house for the TD. He was getting MUGGED all day...BTW.

Game Goats:
George Pickens & Dionte Johnson - Gotta keep a cool head in game.....both had really st00pid *** penalties today and it could have cost us the game today.....2 Bone-Headed plays
Levi Wallace - This guy shouldn't be a starting DB on this team! I'm not sure Patrick Peterson should even be starting....Gotta teach Joey Jr how to tackle because he's ready to start!

FU's:
Matt Canada - Just because your the worst ******* OC in the NFL! I'm counting down the games until this guy is gone! **** MATT CANADA!

I dunno if I would give Canada a **** you for this game. For the first half ...sure... the second half showed competent. Not changing my opinion overall...but yeah.

Sullivan has no business being the Steelers inside corner. The sooner they give Porter more snaps the better.

Nice to see a Herbig sighting.

I think I'm the only one but the taunting call on DJ was just terrible...

No complaints from me.
Those get called and sometimes they don't. I didn't like it as I thought it was tick tacky. Still DJ shouldn't put himself in that position, and has to be smarter. As when you take a step towards the defender any gesture after that can be called. For better or worse. The simple answer is don't do it

Meh....there were calls that went both ways today. In the end pf the game our team made plays. Theirs didn't. 4 and 2 *******!!!¡!

Game Balls - Pickett came through in the clutch. In my opinion his best throw was an out to DJ. DJ was running full speed toward the sideline and Pickett put it right on the money w/ not much room to work with. His 30yrder to Pickens on 3rd down at the end of the game was also huge.
Harris had a nice game caught a few balls and made something out of nothing a couple times. Seemed to bobble a few but never lost control.
DJ and Pickens can be on both lists. You cant get in the defenders face and do what he did especially after a ticky tack PI call. Pickens had 2 boneheaded plays luckily it didnt cost us.
TJ for a key INT while playing CB
GOATS - The TD at the end of the half should have never happened. Stafford tossed up a prayer and our guys seemed confused. Looked like it was mostly on Wallace, but we had a lot of defenders in the area who should have been able to make a play.
FUs - Still to Canada for refusing to run an NFL offense until the end of the game. I feel like he is doing it just to be an A-hole and troll the fans honestly.

The last two drives and the possession to close out the game show what this team is capable of. They looked good for those three possessions. Really good.

It boggles the mind that they seem incapable of that 95% of the time. Next week vs Jacksonville will tell us a lot. I am sitting here in my living room praying that maybe they’ll turn the corner after this.

I want to be excited to watch Steelers football again instead of tuning in out of morbid curiosity.

I can’t give Pickett a game ball for one quarter of competent QB play. I also can’t give DJ a game ball for one nice catch and run. This is a passing league, and you need more than one good quarter out of your skill players.

I can’t give Pickett a game ball for one quarter of competent QB play. I also can’t give DJ a game ball for one nice catch and run. This is a passing league, and you need more than one good quarter out of your skill players.
I feel like the offense handicaps Pickett when we use the whole field he looks good. We started w/ a slant then got away from that stuff. It is just maddening. I dont blame Pickett for trying to run the offense he is given. Also our blocking was terrible early and Kenny took some big shots. If nothing else Pickett has shown he can win close games in crunch time. Alot of very good QBs on good offenses dont seem to have that trait

The last two drives and the possession to close out the game show what this team is capable of. They looked good for those three possessions. Really good.

It boggles the mind that they seem incapable of that 95% of the time. Next week vs Jacksonville will tell us a lot. I am sitting here in my living room praying that maybe they’ll turn the corner after this.

I want to be excited to watch Steelers football again instead of tuning in out of morbid curiosity.
It feels that they are turning the corner. In baby steps however.

Johnson actually had a few, one was called back after Pickens shouldered the defensive back fo a blind side. He pretty much caught everything thrown his way

It feels that they are turning the corner. In baby steps however.
I think the big thing is the offense gained confidence today. In the 4th quarter you could tell they had some swagger going. In previous games it was just a relief to win, but this game they actually put together good drives to win.

GB Harris and Warren. Fans that showed up in LA

Goat Pickens for no control
FU Canada on some of the plays called at time called. Three points three quarters (Watt gets the TD after half)

Maybe I missed it, Highsmith had a hell of a game. Pressure consistently and very nice run defense. In my opinion he was the best defensive player on the field with Minka. Joey Jr., right on those slants over the middle, it would take a needle thread to complete it to his coverage. Guy needs to play full time, Wallace was was getting killed on any quick slant, by 6 feet at minimum.

Game Ball to Najee / TJ / Minka / Warren / young Heyward / Larry Oginobi (sp) / Kuntz / and others.

FUs to O’Canada / whoever chose to not start 1st round LT.

Salute the nation

I start to get this awful feeling that Canada has tailored the offense to what Pickett does well. And that doing other stuff would expose Pickett to be a bad QB...?

It is utterly improbable that the man literally can't see what other teams are doing and just steal it. He'd need an ego the size of a planet to think that his offense is a modern NFL offense. The execution still leaves a lot to be desired - the OL in the first half today was really rough.

At least last week and this week there was more flex in the formation. They didn't ALWAYS run from under centre and ALWAYS pass from shotgun but it's still appallingly predictable. Why? Surely it can't be for that one time that they pass from under centre and catch them unawares...? "HahHah! Got you!"

If not then what limitations are they building around? That's what I don't get.

This week's game was a far better balance than normal - honest to god play action on the opening play.

I can't believe that I'm semi-defending Matt Canada.

I start to get this awful feeling that Canada has tailored the offense to what Pickett does well. And that doing other stuff would expose Pickett to be a bad QB...?

It is utterly improbable that the man literally can't see what other teams are doing and just steal it. He'd need an ego the size of a planet to think that his offense is a modern NFL offense. The execution still leaves a lot to be desired - the OL in the first half today was really rough.

At least last week and this week there was more flex in the formation. They didn't ALWAYS run from under centre and ALWAYS pass from shotgun but it's still appallingly predictable. Why? Surely it can't be for that one time that they pass from under centre and catch them unawares...? "HahHah! Got you!"

If not then what limitations are they building around? That's what I don't get.

This week's game was a far better balance than normal - honest to god play action on the opening play.

I can't believe that I'm semi-defending Matt Canada.

According to “chicoman’s” DATA

on center run = 85%
shotgun pass = 61%

Not a lot of guess work there and NOT well balanced.

Here is where the guess work came from

inside the numbers PASS = 46%
outside the numbers PASS = 54%

This is were using the whole field pays dividends. That is where the defense couldn’t tee off and had to play a little more honest. Imagine if O’Canada could actually get to a “Balanced” offense with flowing plays to set up a play and betterment of his player’s to execute.

Saluter the nation

Not sure what you're upset about - it was just better than previously when it was almost 100% pass on shotgun and almost 100% run under centre. I'd love to get more balanced but at least it's an improvement.

Not sure what you're upset about - it was just better than previously when it was almost 100% pass on shotgun and almost 100% run under centre. I'd love to get more balanced but at least it's an improvement.

NOT upset at all, just showing what percentages and using that data to show that O’Canada could do way better.

Sorry if you misinterpreted what I was trying to show. Not meant as an attach by any means.

PeAce

Salute the nation