• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gotta be Spillane or Robinson

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I was real impressed with Robinson tonight. Spillane was much better than week one. Bush is hopeless. I thought maybe when the big boys come out it might get better as he wouod be cleaner but you could put Big Snack out there. Ain't gonna help. Here is why:
You play gap cancelation vs. The run. Every player has two gaps. Initial and flow. So if the play is a common inside run everyone goes to their assigned gap and a wall is built. You are not attempting to tackle the runner until he gets to your gap. You are building a wall. Now if the play stretches or they go toss obviously you have to flow. All of this should be dictated by the blocking. Reading the back comes after. So the linebackers key is the oline then fills the gap and then tackles runner. Bush is not doing this. He is following the back and reading him instead of the block and shutting down his gap. That hesitation means his gap isn't cancelled and the only tackles he is going to make are 4 yards down the field. Contrast this with Robinson tonight who made his read, shot to his gap and ended play. That wouldn't change against better talent. He is reading the key and being where he is supposed to be. I understand that $ will dictate Bush is not cut. But really he should be. He is done. No NFL linebacker can do what he is doing. That is football 101.

I was real impressed with Robinson tonight. Spillane was much better than week one. Bush is hopeless. I thought maybe when the big boys come out it might get better as he wouod be cleaner but you could put Big Snack out there. Ain't gonna help. Here is why:
You play gap cancelation vs. The run. Every player has two gaps. Initial and flow. So if the play is a common inside run everyone goes to their assigned gap and a wall is built. You are not attempting to tackle the runner until he gets to your gap. You are building a wall. Now if the play stretches or they go toss obviously you have to flow. All of this should be dictated by the blocking. Reading the back comes after. So the linebackers key is the oline then fills the gap and then tackles runner. Bush is not doing this. He is following the back and reading him instead of the block and shutting down his gap. That hesitation means his gap isn't cancelled and the only tackles he is going to make are 4 yards down the field. Contrast this with Robinson tonight who made his read, shot to his gap and ended play. That wouldn't change against better talent. He is reading the key and being where he is supposed to be. I understand that $ will dictate Bush is not cut. But really he should be. He is done. No NFL linebacker can do what he is doing. That is football 101.
The worst part is when he actually fills his gap but doesn’t even attempt to tackle. It’s mind boggling. The few times he’s actually in position to make a play and he just stands there watching the back.

The worst part is when he actually fills his gap but doesn’t even attempt to tackle. It’s mind boggling. The few times he’s actually in position to make a play and he just stands there watching the back.
There was an all 22 shot of the one run where he gets pushed and turned backwards by the TE. That only happens because he is so slow to read his key and get to his gap. There is no way the TE should get to him. He literally should slink into his chair when that play is in film. That is embarrassing. I'm surprised Flores hasn't taken his head off and **** down his neck.

Steelers need to cut Bush Tuesday and be done with him. He won’t tackle and he’s too dumb to read the plays. He’s been given so many chances, it’s time to move on.

Robinson lays the lumber. Spillane can hit hard. At least if you aren’t going to be strong in coverage play the position with a physical edge and both do this.

Sometimes being an NFL legacy can backfire. I think it has helped to make Bush into an entitled little **** that thinks he "belongs" in the league based on his name. Like it's some birthright. It's made him lazy and complacent. Couple that with his mental and physical complications from the ACL injury, and you have a wasted first round pick.
Robinson is hungry. He's got the attitude to play ILB for the Steelers. As a late round pick, nothing has been, or will be, given to him. Every day is a "prove it" day for him.
That said, he's still raw. He needs some time to develop. Give him some situational playing time during the early part of the season. If he's still making strides and delivering around game six or 7, I'd think about putting him out there more and possibly starting him.

Flores and Tomlin need to sit down and say we need to make an example of Bush. You have to play the game right and he isn't. We eat the 6m and send him packing. I don't know what the reason is. I find it hard to believe he isn't trying. I just feel he has lost how to play ILB.

I agree with you on Robinson, he's a keeper. He tested out super strong at the combines ( 34 reps of 255 lbs ) which is very good for a linebacker and showed decent speed ( 4.65 ) too. Watch the tape, he is a hitter perhaps the best one one the team. He has he goods to be a decent run defending ILB. But he has a lot to learn. For the time being, Spillane will start. He's a smart ILB, but weak vs the pass due to lack of speed. Yet he has fine hands for the interception / can break up passes.

Is it me or was he just so much better his rookie year? I know his injury set him back, but injury doesnt account for losing his football sense.

I’ll take a young hungry Robinson who is trying to tackle and make plays every single down, over a Bush that at times just completely looks lost on the field. Some people just never fully recover from ACL surgery and maybe he’s that guy.
His current effort and production on the field is “below the line” and he’s taking up a roster spot.

Let him walk

Is it me or was he just so much better his rookie year? I know his injury set him back, but injury doesnt account for losing his football sense.
The football sense still has to be there, at this point it almost looks like he just doesn't want to engage on the field. He clearly isn't as explosive as he was during his rookie year, which also probably got a little more hype than it deserved because he was always all over the ball. I remember there were still vocal critics of his on this board for his every down play. By comparison to week 1 of preseason, Bush looked better, but his bar has been lowered to that of an UDFA in terms of performance expectations. We are just looking for anything positive.

I like Robinson the kid has one hell of a motor but at this point in his career he almost reminds me of Lawrence Timmons as a rookie....he looks like Crazy Legs Hirsch out there. He will be good but still needs another year to develop into a quality NFL LB'er. That being said you can't try to sneak this kid on the Practice Squad....he's too good. He will get snapped up by another team. Bush is an absolute disgrace! I see nothing from this kid....I wouldn't even keep him on the roster because he is more of a problem than a solution to our defense. One of the worst first round draft busts ever for the Pittsburgh Steelers. And we traded up to get him.

Could Edmunds really be an option?

How many of you trust Shades to keep Robinson and demote or cut Bush? I don't. Case and point - punters.

Steelers need to cut Bush Tuesday and be done with him. He won’t tackle and he’s too dumb to read the plays. He’s been given so many chances, it’s time to move on.
I'm watching the game right now. On the 2nd Jax drive a TE drove Bush 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. A f'n TE!

Could Edmunds really be an option?

At LB? I doubt it but he has been very good as rover safety. I guess against inside heavy running teams we would be exposed with him.

How many of you trust Shades to keep Robinson and demote or cut Bush? I don't. Case and point - punters.
I trust he keeps Robinson. He still keeps bushy ***** just for pedigree (and cap reasons if no trade available). Buddy Johnson might be cut to be stashed at the PS, I doubt he gets many suitors.

Robinson has that Deebo thing going on for him. The staff has to mold this guy to be a monster

Tomlin needs to own up Bush has lost it. Last year getting back from injury ok but this year almost as if he does not want to play, oi engagement in the plays at all. Maybe Flores can get Tomlin to see time to move on.

Bush looks like a dancing bear out there trying to get around his teammates and blockers. I agree with Apex. Hoping Flores can get in Tomlins head and make sure at least he isn't on the field. AkA Uncle Jarvis who ran the same Arc minus the first good year.

Everybody talking about Flores talking some sense into Tomlin about Bush. Yet, as I remember from last week it was Tomlin saying that Bush was still in a competition with Spillane for the starting gig and they needed to see better out of him. It was Flores who said that Bush was doing well.
Now maybe they were playing "Bad Cop, Good Cop", but if not, it doesn't appear that Flores will be advocating for Bush to sit, let alone be released.

Flores and Tomlin need to sit down and say we need to make an example of Bush. You have to play the game right and he isn't. We eat the 6m and send him packing. I don't know what the reason is. I find it hard to believe he isn't trying. I just feel he has lost how to play ILB.
I think alot of it is he seems to have an entitled attitude and usually that goes along w/ a poor work ethic. He has also made a few questionable comments and I would just bury him on the bench or try to trade him.

I cannot say what the issue is. I feel from Tomlin's comments that it is mental not physical. He is really small. But if you watch the tape he is moving laterally looking to find the back instead of slamming into his assigned gap. Your job isn't to make the tackle. Your job is to make the play that comes to you and fill your gap so your team mate can make it. I head coach and DC on a very successful JV HS team. I am a DB coach by trade, but by situation forced to coach LB's. so I'm not trying to say I know a **** lot about linebacker, but I certainly know people who do. You read the block, down hill to your gap and fill. You cannot look around where the back is or you are creating the crease.
Ask yourself this. Unless Devin Bush is a special teams demon what is his 6 million dollar cut hurting you. If I'm Tomlin, Austin, Flores I do not want him on the field. Period. His effort, attention to detail and willingness is more likely to be a cancer then he will turn it around. And lets be clear he is not going to have the light come on at this point. Not a chance.

Everybody talking about Flores talking some sense into Tomlin about Bush. Yet, as I remember from last week it was Tomlin saying that Bush was still in a competition with Spillane for the starting gig and they needed to see better out of him. It was Flores who said that Bush was doing well.
Now maybe they were playing "Bad Cop, Good Cop", but if not, it doesn't appear that Flores will be advocating for Bush to sit, let alone be released.
I agree, but these guys are all professionals and he isn't going to say **** about a player publicly. But I'm assuming everything said about Flores is accurate and there is just no way he is above the line with his gap cancel fill. Anyone can see that. You could talk to any ex player who played that position and he would laugh at that tape.

I'm sorry if I'm belaboring the point, but I've been watching him for a year here and trying to figure out what the issue is and it came to me crystal clear last night watching him on the replay on DAZN. Essentially he is spying the back like you would a shifty QB to limit him instead of just cancelling his gap. This creates time for the line or in that ridiculous example from last night the Tight end to go bar to bar with him which is a loss every time. OR in the muddle of his team mates flowing to the ball he gets erased from the play.