• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

It's been fun, Ben

I had to log off this place in the 3rd quarter and it had nothing to do with the game. I forgot what a cesspool this place turns into on days like this.

thank heavens you didn't have to bear witness to it during the moment. i pray you had your fainting couch at the ready.

he is drumroll

30 th in completion percentage

let that soak in

no, no no! you're just being an over-dramatic ***** is all, that's what that is! :whistle:

thank heavens you didn't have to bear witness to it during the moment. i pray you had your fainting couch at the ready.

I think the board would have been calmer if both the losses wouldn't have been embarrassing losses.

Or the O shown some life to come out of their doldrums.

But against two soso teams two eggs laid isn't a good picture of confidence.

I will wait for Gilbert's return to lock in a final conclusion.

But they better find a way to start playing better.

And that is from the top down.

I think the board would have been calmer if both the losses wouldn't have been embarrassing losses.

Or the O shown some life to come out of their doldrums.

But against two soso teams two eggs laid isn't a good picture of confidence.

I will wait for Gilbert's return to lock in a final conclusion.

But they better find a way to start playing better.

And that is from the top down.

The more Hubbard plays the more he is exposed. Need Gilbert back soon

Whats exasperating about Ben is has has never been good in the red zone and through different head coaches, coordinators, receivers and runners the one constant has been Ben. he is slow to read and make throws and doesn't make great anticipation throws which are necessary on the red zone. Most of his TD passes there are on broken plays not on timing routes and that is why Rodgers, Brady and Brees are so much more productive in scoring. b]Ben has never been elite in scoring in fact he has been mediocre.

I said this preseason that this was his last year, and got jumped on for it.

It is. He is done.

If Ben feels like he is done, then let him be done. Put Dobbs in. See what he can do. I'm not one for quitting in the mid-season, but seriously. The passion is gone. Everyone on the team feels it. We need a spark. Ben will always be one of my favorite players, but it's time. I hate to see him go downhill like this, but it is what it is.

Whats exasperating about Ben is has has never been good in the red zone and through different head coaches, coordinators, receivers and runners the one constant has been Ben. he is slow to read and make throws and doesn't make great anticipation throws which are necessary on the red zone. Most of his TD passes there are on broken plays not on timing routes and that is why Rodgers, Brady and Brees are so much more productive in scoring. b]Ben has never been elite in scoring in fact he has been mediocre.

Part of the red zone problem I think is that they pass too much. The defense has less ground to cover and can play tighter and the receivers have less room to work. Ever since Bettis retired they pass all the friggen' time in the red zone and that goes for The Bruce and Toddster both.

If Ben feels like he is done, then let him be done. Put Dobbs in. See what he can do. I'm not one for quitting in the mid-season, but seriously. The passion is gone. Everyone on the team feels it. We need a spark. Ben will always be one of my favorite players, but it's time. I hate to see him go downhill like this, but it is what it is.

I feel your pain, but replacing Ben mid season would be the ultimate slap in the face to a guy who has given so much to this team. I do think at the end of the season though you do have to seriously consider searching for and paying for a veteran system guy who can sit in the pocket and take advantage of the skill players we have.

Will that guy be available? Probably not...it is what it is.

Part of the red zone problem I think is that they pass too much. The defense has less ground to cover and can play tighter and the receivers have less room to work. Ever since Bettis retired they pass all the friggen' time in the red zone and that goes for The Bruce and Toddster both.

Is it them or the guy that wants TD passes on his stat sheet?

It seems when we are between the 20's we stretch the field horizontally, when get in the redzone we try to run vertical routes with no room.
I watch GB and KC to name a few and they run rub routes near the goal line and similar routes designed to get someone open, we seem like all or wr's are running out individual routes

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Is it them or the guy that wants TD passes on his stat sheet?
Or is it the guy that wants receiving TDs on his? Ben doesn't care about stats, he checked from passes into runs several times last week

Coaching and game planning is a BIG part of it. An empty backfield usually lets the defense know that a pass is coming. Not attacking a teams weakness is a criminal. Challenging an obvious incomplete pass and losing a valuable time out is mind-boggling. Not making in-game adjustments is infuriating.

On third and short, when you are not getting it done in the pass game, line up with a lead blocker and let your ******* franchise RB get the first down.
When you have it at the goal line, and the pass game is not sharp, RUN THE ******* BALL!!! Get Conner and Watson involved.

And I'm all for 5 wide *******, but in SOME situations, you have to run the ball.

COACHING AND GAME PLANNING are big, especially when execution is weak.

And he changes runs into passes too.

Then isn't it the coach's responsibility to tell him "Knock it off, play the plays that are called, or sit your *** on the bench"? If the inmates are running the asylum, who's fault is that for allowing it?

The critics for the first time in a while can have their day, but make no mistake about it benching Ben while the team is 3-2 would be punting on the season.

Haley is the larger problem. That and Bell and Bryant not being as good as they were before. Oh and Gilbert please get well soon.

While I agree with just about all of this, Ben deserves his fair share of blame. While his decisions haven't been terrible, his mechanics & preparation seem to be. Sailing passes, timing way off etc. I know it's hard to determine the extent of a guy's preparation from the outside, but his just doesn't seem like it's cutting it. Too many times I see him being lackadaisical at practice or getting a veteran's day off. He used to be able to get away with it, but not anymore, obviously. If you will. I love Ben and will be a pretty sad fan when he officially hangs 'em up, but my eyes are telling me he's a pretty big part of the problem right now.

Then isn't it the coach's responsibility to tell him "Knock it off, play the plays that are called, or sit your *** on the bench"? If the inmates are running the asylum, who's fault is that for allowing it?

Because technically he isnt doing anything wrong by changing the play. He is given a run/pass option. Changing the play and then not excuting is the issue

Coming out in 5 wide near the goal line is a pass play from the sideline, that should never be called.
Not every play has a pass/run option so he doesn't have the freedom tower change every play. So according to Ramon Foster, Ben checked to alot of runs in Baltimore. I seriously doubt this week going against the worst run defense that he'd check out of a ton of runs to passes when Jax wasnt even loading the box much. The majority of pass calls came from the sideline. Hell media guys on the radio last week were saying this would happen

This offense doesn't resemble the one they had from the last two years. They look completely disjointed and don't have any particular strengths right now. Is Haley too worried about keeping his stars happy or getting everyone involved? They need to start going back to what works and find an identity. No excuse to be playing this poorly.

nice post, Steelerfan448. Looks like if Ab is happy...everyone should be. If Bell is happy, others should be.

It's an I team, not a TEAM.

Starts with the head coach. Looking cool all the time doesn't win games. Not just Tomlin, but the players, also

I just hope, if Ben's heart is truly not in this, he can let people know and do the right thing and step away. There are QBs to be had this year. This is the draft you wanna suck for. Trubisky is looking reasonably sharp in his first couple passes, Deshaun Watson has been a monster.. we don't have to have a down period post-Ben. We just don't

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ben is already retired, can't you feel it?

I'm not ready to dig the hole and bury BB in it yet,but they got to change some **** up. Pound the rock! And switch up the backs. That will set your passing up. Move the chains. Then hit for a deep ball...jab jab jab jab jab..bam! **** the diva **** on the self centered players if they really care about winning stats don't mean ****. It's all about the W. Whatever it takes. These guys don't have the right mind set. From the coaches on down.

I have absolutely hated this offense for years it has no reason or rhythm to it at all. I would have fired the OC already. It just looks like ****. No creativity whatsoever. No planning. Just the same ****.

The defense I won't even bother with. They have been soft for so long I doubt anyone on the team minus James Harrison knows what a great defense looks like. And he just gets paid to workout now I guess. He's earned it,but damn they could use someone with a nasty streak.

It's far from over.