• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers training camp has completed, what have we learned?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
There is an obvious Pickett progression, to what extreme won't be known until this season is completed. He is clearly the best option on the roster. He is comfy in his reads and progressions. He is hitting deeper passes in camp. We shall see how it ultimately transpires.

Injuries are minimal outside of losing Trice for the season. Larry O was without his walking boot today. Knock on wood just minor injuries from him and a few others.

My gut instinct is Sullivan seems to have won the slot. Just by how he is being used in the pecking order compared to the rest.

I think Harvin has had the better camp and expect that he will return as well as the LS from last season.

I think there is enough good T play that LeRaven won't be Le-making the final 53. Let us see if my predictions hold true, feel free to post your own.

I am still not sure not sure who the odd man out is in the D-line room. Excellent depth here, perhaps one gets traded.

I don't see how Kendrick Green makes this roster. You can PS a backup capable and go with Herbig if the need arises.

I think Fast MC makes it as the third RB. I think they will like his pass catching production and overall play in camp.

I think Boykin and Norwood make it off their special team capabilities. Norwood brings a little more to the table elsewhere as well.

And last minute cutdown can still be added but outside of C and CB... I am guessing no.

Gunner will either be the 6th WR or Austin will kick him to the curb taking the returner role. With Gunner having experience here I am thinking the club might lean towards keeping him to be cautious just in case the Austin experiment doesn't work out.

I think this whole draft class makes the roster but not one of them starts day one. Going against an earlier prediction that Benton gets a game 1 nod. Obviously the one IR'd will stay IR'd.

Last edited:
I'm going to jump to the draft class point.

Broderick Jones should start day one and Dan Moore should be on the right side. Chuks had a good month last year and he want back to his normal subpar play. If Jones starts, he may struggled and he may struggle a lot. A couple of the top tackles in the league right now looked awful as rookies, but they got the experience, grew from it, and are now some of the top players in the game.

JPJ may not "start" but he should be the third CB off the bench and will play outside with Peterson shifting to the slot. No. 3 is basically a starter.

Benton should absolutely start, especially if Larry O's injury lingers. Even if he's healthy, I think the rookie would perform well playing next to two very talented veteran defensive linemen.

Also, Le'Raven "Le-making" lol.

I think we learned the ILB situation is now vastly better than feared about 3 months ago, particularly with the addition of Kwon Alexander. The quartet of Roberts, Holcomb, Alexander and Robinson is pretty damn good.

I highly doubt Jones starts game 1. But it wouldn’t surprise me if he is starting after the Bye week … those first few games are the ones you need vets in there on the oline for that SF game for sure…. Then for the Browns too… after that there are lots of opportunities to get him experience without getting pickett killed if he messes up

Jones was a Raw player when drafted. He had huge upside but it was known he would probably sit some if not all of his rookie season.

I’d say Benton is the most likely Rookie starter.
JPJr second most likely, though probably not day 1 … Herbig won’t be a factor without injuries Washington probably isnt active early in the season , but who knows…

Right now the roster spot battles are

-6th wr.
I think There is the top 4 and Boykin is the best coverage guy so he makes it at wr 5.

I painfully agree that as of right now Gunner is the wr 6… he saves us money if someone beats him out, but White is vanilla, Butler has dropped to many balls, and Fitzpatrick, who was my favorite dark horse guy, has been invisible. Any could overtake Gunner, but he can play on almost all special teams situations outside of field goal tries, and he is a very good locker room guy by all accounts… he has the inside track

-8th olineman. Lets assume the top 3 tackles, the top two guards, and the starting C are locks as is Herbig… there is a toss up between Dotson, one of the Tackles and the super versatile rookie… I think Green is out of the picture but i am not sure …

5th, 6th and 7 th dlineman
Heyward Ogunjobi, Benton and leal are locks… after that every source picking the roster has had different configurations… Adams, Loudermilk, Fehoko, and Watts.. 3 of those 4 make it…

The last ILB. I think the starters and top two backups are locked in.. assuming there are 5 kept, it’s between Muse and Kwiatowski, and honestly it will be decided by special teams play most likely

The last 3 dbs… the top 3 safeties are set in stone.. id argue at cb Pierre is going to make it on special teams if nothing else… so we know 4 there… tgen its a wide open crapshoot… Sullivan, Riley, Norwood, Thompson, Robinson, and maybe even Barcoo are in the mix, as is Killibrew who is the special teams captain

I see no movement at QB, RB, Te or OLB positions

5th, 6th and 7 th dlineman
Heyward Ogunjobi, Benton and leal are locks… after that every source picking the roster has had different configurations… Adams, Loudermilk, Fehoko, and Watts.. 3 of those 4 make it…
I didn't pay much attention to the backup DL last week, but I have seen good reports for Loudermilk and Fehoko out of camp. The thing going against Adams is he's just a guy with the biggest cap hit. Fehoko and Watts were also brought in by the new regime.

I'm pretty sure we learned our two back up QBs aren't that different if you take the price tag off . 😉
We learned Mitch is a backup and Rudy the red nose is a third stringer.

😁

Broderick Jones should start day one and Dan Moore should be on the right side. Chuks had a good month last year and he want back to his normal subpar play. If Jones starts, he may struggled and he may struggle a lot. A couple of the top tackles in the league right now looked awful as rookies, but they got the experience, grew from it, and are now some of the top players in the game.

JPJ may not "start" but he should be the third CB off the bench and will play outside with Peterson shifting to the slot. No. 3 is basically a starter.

Benton should absolutely start, especially if Larry O's injury lingers. Even if he's healthy, I think the rookie would perform well playing next to two very talented veteran defensive linemen.

Barring injury to Moore or Jones turns it on the last 2 preseason games-I see Jones starting by the bye week or after for the Rams game. Austin stays.

Barring injury to Moore or Jones turns it on the last 2 preseason games-I see Jones starting by the bye week or after for the Rams game. Austin stays.
What do you think it would take to prompt an in-season change along the offensive line? In other words, how bad would Moore or Okorafor have to play? One of the main reasons the offensive line was as good as it was last year was continuity. If you think one of your tackles is going to play poorly enough to get replaced after the bye, just throw Jones into the fire.

I think we learned the ILB situation is now vastly better than feared about 3 months ago, particularly with the addition of Kwon Alexander. The quartet of Roberts, Holcomb, Alexander and Robinson is pretty damn good.

KP being the guy has to be #1

but Steeltime is right. ILB has to be next up. best group since 50 went down.

No stone was unturned, no bust was left behind before been tried at fullback.

No stone was unturned, no bust was left behind before been tried at fullback.
Maybe soon he can help Tommy Maddox with the jerseys on Pittsburgh Dad spots

Why the hell not start Jones at LT. They moved up to get him in round 1. They got Moore in what the 4th round and he became an instant starter! There's no way that Jones isn't better on day 1 than Moore was on day 1!

Robinson vs Killebrew is the biggest battle for me right now at the 5th Safety. Robinson can play in the base D, Killebrew can not and is strictly ST, though he is a phenominal ST player.

McFarland will be the 3rd RB, and it isn't even close IMHO. His speed, increased power and being the best pass catcher out of the backfield will get him the spot. Being the KR as well (which we should see tonight) will lock his spot.

The Jones vs Moore battle has turned into a spanking. Moore has been the most solid OL in training camp and has gotten better. Jones does not need to start this year, though I expect him to be active and to serve as the game day swing tackle. The only path to Jones starting right now is if Moore gets hurt, or if Chukes gets hurt and Moore moves to the RT spot. He's got to catch up to the speed of this game, and he will because he has the god given talent to be elite in this league.

I will say it will be very difficult to select inactive players this year. The Steelers want to keep players active due to ST, but on O, you have tough choices:

RB: Najee, Warren, McFarland (ST)
TE: Pat, Gents, Wash, Conner (position flexible)
WR: DJ, Pickens, Robinson, Austin, Boykin (ST), Gunner (ST)

There are arguments for all of these deep players that are ST capable for being weapons on the offense, especially McFarland and Conner. If the Steelers go with 6WRs one will be inactive. If they go with 5, all should be active. Which means our O inactives right now would be 3rd QB, OL, OL, WR. We should see more Defensive inactives this season.

The Jones vs Moore battle has turned into a spanking. Moore has been the most solid OL in training camp and has gotten better. Jones does not need to start this year, though I expect him to be active and to serve as the game day swing tackle. The only path to Jones starting right now is if Moore gets hurt, or if Chukes gets hurt and Moore moves to the RT spot. He's got to catch up to the speed of this game, and he will because he has the god given talent to be elite in this league.
More solid than Seumalo and Daniels?

Washington has shown to be a good blocker and a better receiver than most thought. He is No. 1 for TD's in the redzone in camp. If he continues that in these next 2 preseason games, you have to dress him and at least get him on the field in the redzone. Minkah said it best. If the ball is thrown where it should be, you can't cover him. He's tall, big, athletic, has long arms, good hands and tremendous body control. You have to use him at least in the redzone. Him, Pickens, Muuth, DJ and Najee in the redzone should score a ton of points especially if our OL. has improved like we think they have.

According to Kazora who is at every Steelers practice and reports daily, yes.
I think he knew his back was against the wall after the season ended and committed to trying to cut down some of those pressures - sacks. Then having Broderick drafted must have been an oh **** moment. It will be interesting how this shakes out. Regardless I think that O-line will benefit from it...

Its not uncommon for Tackles to develop late ….AV took forever to get good… but honestly Id rather have an all pro type at LT and the second best guy move to RT… Chuks is expensive and average… if Moore and Broderick are both good that is a step forward

I think we learned that the Steelers are in good hands regarding Khan/Weidl. This was 1 off season and both lines are better/deeper. all season long most of us were begging for the trenches to be addressed. they did so. cant wait for year 2. probs be drafting much later

What do you think it would take to prompt an in-season change along the offensive line? In other words, how bad would Moore or Okorafor have to play? One of the main reasons the offensive line was as good as it was last year was continuity. If you think one of your tackles is going to play poorly enough to get replaced after the bye, just throw Jones into the fire.
No way the OL gets through the season without missing a start (or basically a snap) this year. When Jones gets his opportunity it's going to depend on how much he's soaked up if he sticks. Eventually his opportunity will come. His not having to be thrown in to a starting role immediately out of necessity is not a bad problem.

so i guess the question is next year if Moore has had a really great season, do we move him or extend him? A LT on his last rookie deal is very valuable … and even of he is going to play RT he will be overpriced based on his ability to play LT….

so i guess the question is next year if Moore has had a really great season, do we move him or extend him? A LT on his last rookie deal is very valuable … and even of he is going to play RT he will be overpriced based on his ability to play LT….
Normally I'm all about keeping talent, but Moore won't want to move to RT if he has a great season at LT. The amount of draft picks they could get for a young LT at the end of a rookie deal would be huge. Granted a lot has to happen to get there, but it would be the type of trade you could get high picks in 2024 and 2025 to provide flexibility.