• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Subjective History of Steeler QBs and Coming From Behind Late

Marshall Karp

Reaction score
Keep in mind that one needs the supporting players around them and these are ones who started for some length of time.

Kent Nix – Won a few games under Bill Austin, don’t recall any come from behind

Bill Shiner – If memory serves me, the QB when the Steelers came from behind on the last drive to win Noll’s first game, lost all 13 after that

Terry Bradshaw – Raw talent and learned to come from behind. Got real good at it

Terry Hanratty – Team was not put together when he started, though, if memory serves, he had several come from behind wins. Once the super star team was drafted and together, had come from behind games subbing for Bradshaw.

Cliff Stout – Did not have come from behind

Mark Malone – Did not have come from behind, maybe a few times early on, cast of characters thing. The last year or so, when the Steelers were behind late, you knew it was lost

Bubby Brister – Had come from behind in him almost from the start, again cast of characters around him, too

Neil O’Donnell – Learned to come from behind late and got good at it. All right, I read someone’s book, can’t remember whose, with a chapter on NOD and he admits the SB was the worst day possible to have a bad day, my paraphrase.

Kordell Stewart – Never mastered the consistent come from behind, on occasion, but it seemed like it was the Bus that would break a big one to score and win late

Mike Tomzak – Had some amount of come from behind but not consistent

Tommy Maddox – Had come from behind late in him and won some big games late until Ben got there

Ben – Was coming from behind late in big games since his rookie year.

Charlie Batch – Had come from behind late in him

KP – Does not look that far away from having it or getting it. Maybe the next opportunity or two.

Conclusion: Some are born with it, some it takes a learning process, and some just never get it.

Rumor is Coolie comes from behind every Saturday night.

Way to much info, the ONLY thing that comes out of his behind............................ fills his diaper.

Salute the nation

Keep in mind that one needs the supporting players around them and these are ones who started for some length of time.

Bill Shiner – If memory serves me, the QB when the Steelers came from behind on the last drive to win Noll’s first game, lost all 13 after that

Terry Bradshaw – Raw talent and learned to come from behind. Got real good at it

Terry Hanratty – Team was not put together when he started, though, if memory serves, he had several come from behind wins. Once the super star team was drafted and together, had come from behind games subbing for Bradshaw.

Mark Malone – Did not have come from behind, maybe a few times early on, cast of characters thing. The last year or so, when the Steelers were behind late, you knew it was lost

Bubby Brister – Had come from behind in him almost from the start, again cast of characters around him, too

Neil O’Donnell – Learned to come from behind late and got good at it. All right, I read someone’s book, can’t remember whose, with a chapter on NOD and he admits the SB was the worst day possible to have a bad day, my paraphrase.

Kordell Stewart – Never mastered the consistent come from behind, on occasion, but it seemed like it was the Bus that would break a big one to score and win late

Tommy Maddox – Had come from behind late in him and won some big games late until Ben got there

KP – Does not look that far away from having it or getting it. Maybe the next opportunity or two.

Conclusion: Some are born with it, some it takes a learning process, and some just never get it.

Nice write up, thank you

Kordell had a nice come from way behind against the Ravens. They were down a bunch (I was listening on radio then lost channel, by the time I got it back) he had them in go ahead scoring position. They won the game and Cowher post game was givving much credit to Kordell. I'm sure it was a team win but he did engineer it.

Salute the nation

This turned fast.

Kinda like Coolie does after he comes on a Saturday night

BigBen was the alpha of come from behind to win the game.

BigBen was the alpha of come from behind to win the game.

THIS, Big Time

I think he leads the NFL in come from behind victories, if not pretty dang close

Salute the nation

THIS, Big Time

I think he leads the NFL in come from behind victories, if not pretty dang close

Salute the nation
Well pro football reference has Ben at 3rd all time with 4th Quarter comebacks at 41, behind Brady at 2 (with 42), and Peyton at 1 (with 43)

Well pro football reference has Ben at 3rd all time with 4th Quarter comebacks at 41, behind Brady at 2 (with 42), and Peyton at 1 (with 43)

Thanks Ian2012, those three are pretty bunched up currently. Not a bad list in that department other than the scewered t*mmyb*y cheating.

Salute the nation