• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers fans "travel well"

DesertSteel

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds great and I've heard it hundreds of times by the media over the years. But this is largely inaccurate. It insinuates that ~40,000 Steelers fans in Pittsburgh hop on a plane, train or automobile and travel to the location of the away game. While this may be true for some, the overwhelming majority of those fans are already in that region. Steeler Nation is EVERYWHERE. When the team comes, we take over! This might not sit well with some, but I think the away game Steelers fans are waaaayy more vocal and crazy than the home game fans. For me, I live in Arizona and the Steelers only come here every 8 years. Like other members of Steeler Nation in the region, it's a very big deal to get to see our team. In 2019, when they played in Phoenix, we got there 5-6 hours early and the entire area around the stadium was filled with people wearing Steelers jerseys. At the game, it was easily 8 out of 10 were Steelers fans. When the Cardinals came running out for pregame they were loudly booed. The looks on their faces was priceless. I lost my voice that day.

Yeah, we travel well.... because we have taken over the nation. We are everywhere!

This sounds great and I've heard it hundreds of times by the media over the years. But this is largely inaccurate. It insinuates that ~40,000 Steelers fans in Pittsburgh hop on a plane, train or automobile and travel to the location of the away game. While this may be true for some, the overwhelming majority of those fans are already in that region. Steeler Nation is EVERYWHERE. When the team comes, we take over! This might not sit well with some, but I think the away game Steelers fans are waaaayy more vocal and crazy than the home game fans. For me, I live in Arizona and the Steelers only come here every 8 years. Like other members of Steeler Nation in the region, it's a very big deal to get to see our team. In 2019, when they played in Phoenix, we got there 5-6 hours early and the entire area around the stadium was filled with people wearing Steelers jerseys. At the game, it was easily 8 out of 10 were Steelers fans. When the Cardinals came running out for pregame they were loudly booed. The looks on their faces was priceless. I lost my voice that day.

Yeah, we travel well.... because we have taken over the nation. We are everywhere!

exactly! i mean, do these doofuses actually critically think about what it is, they're suggesting? that literally 40K+ yinzers snap up every plane ticket from pittsburgh to wherever they happen to be playing a road game any given week, and occupy 15-20+ passenger airliners on the way to snagging every hotel room within 40 miles of the road city? this isn't bowl games in college football, where you might see particular fanbases travel to a locale with nice weather, to go watch their school play in a particular bowl game at the end of the season. these are basic, regular-season pro games, there are 17 of them, for Chrissakes!

I've been to MANY steelers-bengals games here in cincinnati over the years, and i can promise you that 85%-90% of the Steelers fans in attendance, live somewhere within a 50-100 mile radius of the Cincinnati area

I would buy the fans live closer. Not that a lot of fans don't travel afar. They do. I met them at various times and often ask in training camp, or at games, or at the strip where they are from. Plenty of times I get that they traveled far and or it is their first game. No idea on percentages but I would gather the in town fans are greater percentage, as is the proximal fans. Then you add in a decent amount of travelers and you get a decent showing.

I do like those travelers often they are passionate about the team, something I obviously identify with.

the tune will be the same next week in Houston

doesn't matter that you can walk anywhere in town, in the middle of summer and see multiple people wearing their Steeler shirts or hats

all the ones at the game will have traveled here.

For me, I live in Arizona and the Steelers only come here every 8 years. Like other members of Steeler Nation in the region, it's a very big deal to get to see our team. In 2019, when they played in Phoenix, we got there 5-6 hours early and the entire area around the stadium was filled with people wearing Steelers jerseys. At the game, it was easily 8 out of 10 were Steelers fans. When the Cardinals came running out for pregame they were loudly booed. The looks on their faces was priceless. I lost my voice that day.

Quite a few of us were there. Zona, Mrs. Zona, Mrs. Steeltime, me, others I unfortunately cannot recall, and one ginormous stumbling gee-raffe that banged his head on the top of the doorframe so many times he was asked to leave by Az security.

This is 100% true. Thousands of us left the area in the late 70s into the 80s. No jobs in a dying area back then.

I used to be a big wig in the Steel City Mafia. There are a few who travel for games, but the reality is that the fans are ready there. Darned near every area has Steelers fans. It's just media barf repeated again and again.

I also think that for some out of towers there is no connection to city itself. When I grew up the Steelers were coming off the last SBs in the 70s. Cable was limited. There were three or four games a weekend and they were prominent. I'll never forget against the Cowboys. I was already a Steelers fan. My mom God rest her soul made a bunch of food for the SB including the onion soup chip dip that was a part of every big event. I asked her who she was cheering for. She asked who was playing when I told her she said Pittsburgh. They killed Kennedy in Dallas.

I also think that for some out of towers there is no connection to city itself. When I grew up the Steelers were coming off the last SBs in the 70s. Cable was limited. There were three or four games a weekend and they were prominent. I'll never forget against the Cowboys. I was already a Steelers fan. My mom God rest her soul made a bunch of food for the SB including the onion soup chip dip that was a part of every big event. I asked her who she was cheering for. She asked who was playing when I told her she said Pittsburgh. They killed Kennedy in Dallas.

My grandparents, mom, dad, aunt, uncle all born and raised in Pittsburgh. Mom and dad went to Westinghouse High School, and after the military, dad graduated from Duquesne. After college, like a LOT of Pittsburgh residents, he worked for Gulf Oil.

When dad was at Duquesne in the late 1940's, Art Rooney used to come to the campus and give away Steelers tickets, trying to get some fannies in the seats. My dad literally turned down tickets from Art Rooney once. He explained that the Steelers were terrible and he had a lot of studying to do. :D

For Vegas, though, I bet a lot of fans did travel to the game from around the country. Unlike the 49ers fans in Pittsburgh, our fans cheered and were LOUD throughout the entire game Sunday night.

My grandparents, mom, dad, aunt, uncle all born and raised in Pittsburgh. Mom and dad went to Westinghouse High School, and after the military, dad graduated from Duquesne. After college, like a LOT of Pittsburgh residents, he worked for Gulf Oil.

When dad was at Duquesne in the late 1940's, Art Rooney used to come to the campus and give away Steelers tickets, trying to get some fannies in the seats. My dad literally turned down tickets from Art Rooney once. He explained that the Steelers were terrible and he had a lot of studying to do. :D
Great story!

For Vegas, though, I bet a lot of fans did travel to the game from around the country. Unlike the 49ers fans in Pittsburgh, our fans cheered and were LOUD throughout the entire game Sunday night.
well, yes, i'm assuming there would be a higher percentage of travelers because, i mean, yeah, it's las vegas, it's not a "normal" town/destination.

I believe so too.

On some sports talk show they brought up the possibility of other teams fans "taking over" Raider stadium as well due to it being Vegas.
Opposing fans going to the game and making a vacation out of it.

Makes you wonder if the Raiders made the right move re-locating to Vegas.

I believe so too.

On some sports talk show they brought up the possibility of other teams fans "taking over" Raider stadium as well due to it being Vegas.
Opposing fans going to the game and making a vacation out of it.

Makes you wonder if the Raiders made the right move re-locating to Vegas.
If their pockets are full they are happy. That is their concerns not fans of the team...

Most live in the area. They're not traveling far. I live in Northeast Florida. All kinds of transplants down here from Western PA. When they put 40-50k plus Steeler fans in the Jacksonville stadium, the majority live here.
Some may even have season tickets to the jags,but switch out jerseys when they come to play.

My uncle when he lived here did that. He had 4 club seats. Some bonds can't be broken. The whole family would wear Steeler gear when they played.

You also have the children of the folks who had to move away years ago,that are fans because of their parents.
My youngest son is always amped to wear his T.J.Watt jersey to school. One of his teachers at the school always compliments him on it. He's from Pittsburgh too.

I have been to Vegas numerous times. I have been to Oakland 5-6 times.

Trust me, the Raiders made the right move.

Didn't realize the Raiders had such a poor fan following.

Been to Vegas a couple of times.
Been to Oakland a bunch of times...the Oakland district in Pittsburgh that is lol. Gives you that big city atmosphere with all the hustle bustle people, students, museums, Pitt..

I’ve long wanted to travel for a 4 day weekend somewhere to watch the Steelers play, but every time I’ve seen them play at an away game it was because I lived nearby.

Been to Oakland a bunch of times...the Oakland district in Pittsburgh that is lol. Gives you that big city atmosphere with all the hustle bustle people, students, museums, Pitt..
I am sure moving around impacted the loyal fan base.

But if any team moves to Vegas... I would think with opposing fans wanting to see Vegas it would look like the fans aren't that into the team.

Hell Steelers got that game 1 with Niners fans loving their recent winning ways are being more aggressive buying tickets.

I guarantee you the Steelers fan base is still huge despite some ticket sales.

Last edited:

There's a lot of so-called Raiders fans who don't actually follow them. I know a guy who wears Raiders gear every day. I asked him yesterday if he watched the game last night. He looked at me as if he didn't know there was a game.