• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trump is the new JFK: Column

deljzc

Reaction score
You know I read this today at lunch and thought I would share. I think it's worth reading and I would like to add some thoughts:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...nnedy-jfk-history-presidents-column/97093102/

The author makes some very good points and I would like to add some others:

1. Both were described as Oligarchs. I mean, Trump got railed for wanted to give a job to his son-in-law, could you imagine if he wanted his BROTHER as Attorney General?

2. They both had strong inner circles that were outside the beltway and the media didn't trust. In addition to his brother (age 34), JFK had the "Irish Brotherhood" that included his Press Secretary, Pierre Salinger (age 35), aide Kenny O'Donnell (age 36) and his campaign manager Larry O'Brien (age 43).

3. They both picked business leaders for key positions. As mentioned in the article, people forget (or don't mention in the Tillerson debate) that Kennedy picked the CEO of Ford Motor Company to be his Secretary of Defense.

4. They excluded from decision making key cabinet members that traditional had weight. Kennedy struggled with Secretary of State Dean Rusk and their relationship was very icy and often didn't agree with each other. According to history, Rusk had NO OPINION of comments on the Bay of Pigs invasion. Imagine a Secretary of State keeping out of that decision making process....

5. There was huge upheaval in the "messages" of the Political Parties. Kennedy tapped into a growing "Northeast Liberal" wave and began the shift that culminated in much of the South becoming Republican and the Northeast becoming Democrat. I think Trump has tapped into a growing rust-belt Nationalist wave that could be permanent. The era of the rust-belt union worker being democrat seems over permanently to me. And I think you will see Republican ideologies shift into a more Nationalistic, pro-labor, America-first message (and not just this election cycle but permanently as part of their platform).

6. Kennedy struggled to get along with a Democratic Congress and was frustrated with their lack of progress and old school ways.

I just thought it was interesting to see a similar upheaval in our political spectrum that seems very similar to Kennedy and possibly the whole 1960's. Including the possibility of very scary foreign relations issues.

I hope they are both not assassinated.

I don't put anything past the political elites in power like McCain, Graham, McConnell and the other REAL Oligarchs that have been running Washington for themselves for a quarter of a century to do anything to maintain their power structure.

How easy would it be for the Republican status quo to find a patsy/fall guy to play the "liberal crazy" after a Trump assassination? And the media would all accept it as fact, just like 1963....

I don't know what I believe about the Kennedy assassination. Even today it seems like an awfully good shot(s) - almost too good to be true.

I hope they are both not assassinated.

That dress does remind me of Jackie

donald-trump-melania-parade-main-e2bdeef4-b93e-46d5-a2b9-c8b97517a025.jpg

When should we expect Bay of Pigs 2.0?

I think that's part of the point of the article. Trump could very well make a mistake early in his Presidency as he re-established boundaries with adversaries that were used to pansy Obama. And Trump is definitely open to reaching for the stars and making wild ultimatums.

As I've posted before, there was a great article that expects Russia to make a play for Eastern Ukraine very soon just to test Trumps and Europe's resolve to engage boots on the ground.

You wonder if Trump's over-the-top flattery of Putin is to put this potential confrontation on hold a bit, until Trump and his military advisers can rebuild and prepare the military enough for a potential tank-heavy ground assault in Eastern Ukraine (which we are not prepared for based on our wars in the Middle East).

5. There was huge upheaval in the "messages" of the Political Parties. Kennedy tapped into a growing "Northeast Liberal" wave and began the shift that culminated in much of the South becoming Republican and the Northeast becoming Democrat. I think Trump has tapped into a growing rust-belt Nationalist wave that could be permanent. The era of the rust-belt union worker being democrat seems over permanently to me. And I think you will see Republican ideologies shift into a more Nationalistic, pro-labor, America-first message (and not just this election cycle but permanently as part of their platform).

That's because there are hardly any rust belt union workers left (except for school teachers and other govt employees). They either died from old age or moved south to non-union manufacturing jobs. Ain't jack **** left here.

That's because there are hardly any rust belt union workers left (except for school teachers and other govt employees). They either died from old age or moved south to non-union manufacturing jobs. Ain't jack **** left here.

I agree, but there is a certain nostalgia that you are seeing in a different type of millennial in the Rust Belt states that admired their grandfathers and hard work. And while their grandfathers were probably hard-core union democrats, their grandchildren are turning into Republicans.

Not all 20-somethings are democrat like the main stream media wants you to believe. And the ones left aren't all hillbilly rednecks waving the confederate flag either. Some realize the value of trade skills and the work their fathers and grandfathers did and they have seen and heard from them how the democrats let them down in favor of a blind eye to immigration.

Just because this generation isn't union card holders anymore doesn't mean I don't call them old-school union democrats that are now republicans.