• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trump supporting ethanol bothers me

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
It's a made up market that produces an inferior product that nobody wants. If there are export problems then we should address them. If not, then we are producing too much corn and need to stop. Grow something else.

+1 Horrible product.

Yeah ethanol is a horrendous idea... it makes nobody happy....
A.) it simply isn’t as good as gasoline
B.) it has a overall larger carbon footprint than gas due to everything that has to be done to gather and process the corn
C.) it drives up corn prices which in turn drives up feed prices which means added cost to certain meats
D.) as the price of corn rose, farmers started deadicating more fields to it, meaning short supplies of other crops... particularly agave... which has led to rising tequila costs...

I'm fine with protecting our domestic growers with fair trade policies, and extra tax dollars specifically for incenting domestic farming. I think we should be a bigger exporter of corn. Even the field, lets see what happens. Let's just not do it via some bullshit like ethanol or fructose. Step back from that ****. It's corn that we are talking about.

If corn is not a big deal, then its not a big deal. This is America. They will figure out how to make money from those lands. If they don't, someone else will.

What is incredibly underestimated by the left is the natural fill of any gap in the market. If we had let the big banks fail, something better would have emerged immediately.

C.) it drives up corn prices which in turn drives up feed prices which means added cost to certain meats
D.) as the price of corn rose, farmers started deadicating more fields to it, meaning short supplies of other crops... particularly agave... which has led to rising tequila costs...

This. Farmers in the midwest make a ****-ton of money from ethanol subsidies and they vote. If the Democrats ran things it wouldn't be any different. Ethanol subsidies ramped up a lot under Bomma.
Couple years ago my truck suddenly started running like crap and the check engine light came on. Would barely run above idle speed. Limped down to the shop I use and the owner points me to a poster on his wall comparing a new fuel injector with one that had been run with ethanol gas for 60,000 miles and was all sorts of plugged up. My truck had, ba-da-bing, 65,000 miles on it. It wasn't an expensive fix, just a can of BG CF5 Injector Cleaner and a can of BG Water Remover, a few blasts to redline down the road, and it was fine. The BG products are heavy-duty stuff. Ever since I put a bottle of Chevron Techron cleaner in the tank at every oil change, 5000 miles. No problems. Then there's my lawnmower. Wouldn't run and had to get a new carb on it. Mower shop said it's the ethanol in the gas, it evaporates faster than the gas and leaves gummy deposits in small engines. Shop told me to put Sta-Bil in the gas all the time, not just for winter storage. I did that and had no further issues. Unless you find one of the rare gas stations with pure gas, everything you buy has at least 10% ethanol in it.

Ethanol attracts water and it breaks down faster than gasoline. With water absorbing into the fuel, there's the chance that rust will form on the interior of the engine. The particles that get into the gas from rust flakes will clog up the fuel filter sooner. It's possible that the particles can cause extra wear to the pistons, rings, seals, and any number of other components of the engine.

Ethanol increases gasoline vapor pressure which may cause a vapor lock in a carburetor. This fuel starvation will prevent the engine from starting. This is an issue in higher altitudes and hot weather like FL. Absolutely kills small engines. Have changed carbs on my yard eqpt. twice in 9 years. Started using Tru Fuel 3 years ago and now they start on first pull. Sta Bil year round for mower and hunt for non ethanol when I need to fill up.

I get that Trump is looking out for the farmers and battling China, but this fix doesn't work for me. Maybe lessen corn production or do away with GMO fruits and veges entirely.

My 42 years old roadster genuinely dislikes even a 10% blend, and finding 100% gasoline is near impossible, and twice the price if you do.

Be careful and read the labels on those additives, some are alcohol based.

My 42 years old roadster genuinely dislikes even a 10% blend, and finding 100% gasoline is near impossible, and twice the price if you do.

Be careful and read the labels on those additives, some are alcohol based.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Although I can't say it gets updated enough, it's worth a shot.
Mrs. Burgundy rolls in a flex fuel Chrysler minivan. Being an accountant, she ran a few tanks of flex fuel and studiously tracked the gas mileage. This confirmed what Car & Driver magazine said, that while flex fuel gas costs a lot less you get worse gas mileage so you don't really save any money. Add the other problems it causes and it's not worth it.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Although I can't say it gets updated enough, it's worth a shot.
Mrs. Burgundy rolls in a flex fuel Chrysler minivan. Being an accountant, she ran a few tanks of flex fuel and studiously tracked the gas mileage. This confirmed what Car & Driver magazine said, that while flex fuel gas costs a lot less you get worse gas mileage so you don't really save any money. Add the other problems it causes and it's not worth it.

We have a WaWa that has a no-ethanol pump and isn't too far from us. Lower octane than their Premium ethanol blend and costs more. I've wondered if I should switch to that.

It's a made up market that produces an inferior product that nobody wants. If there are export problems then we should address them. If not, then we are producing too much corn and need to stop. Grow something else.

Well, supporting our own, includes farmers.

Maybe the farmers could sell the food elsewhere to a non tariff nation and use less ethanol for gas?

I can only run 93 octane and it's normally Shell only. It's hard to find zero ethanol content. That stuff is garbage.

It could be worse. We could be paying Canadian farmers for growing corn.

Just more buying votes from the Swamp King
So now you want more fossil fuels and less renewables? Because President Trump is doing the opposite? That’s gold Jerry, GOLD!!!

So now you want more fossil fuels and less renewables? Because President Trump is doing the opposite? That’s gold Jerry, GOLD!!!

Trump = Bad.... Obama = good

Obama’s administration seperates kids from families... greatest idea ever
Trump’s administration follows suit and he is evil.... ect ect...

Trump should advocate breathing air just to find out how far this petty whiny behavior really will go....

Trump = Bad.... Obama = good

Obama’s administration seperates kids from families... greatest idea ever
Trump’s administration follows suit and he is evil.... ect ect...

Trump should advocate breathing air just to find out how far this petty whiny behavior really will go....
Mandatory solar panels on every house or else you pay a tax penalty. The Supreme Court will say it’s okay, don’t worry.

Mandatory solar panels on every house or else you pay a tax penalty. The Supreme Court will say it’s okay, don’t worry.

Then a bailout for all of the state and local governments who are now bankrupt because they depended upon all the sales taxes on electricity and the one-time boost for Solar panel sales was spent on a pet project.

orrr, the state government installs a meter on your solar panel so it can figure out how much tax you WOULD have paid....

In principle, I don't agree with using food for something else. Food is food. That's why I never supported Ethanol.

Ethanol isn't much of a renewable. It's just a give away to corn states.

In principle, I don't agree with using food for something else. Food is food. That's why I never supported Ethanol.

Ethanol isn't much of a renewable. It's just a give away to corn states.

Many years ago when I wasn't as well educated about how government actually works, I though ethanol might be a good idea, or, at least, a good stepping stone.

I should have know that with the government as involved as it was, it wouldn't work out. There is no incentive to make it a more efficient fuel because that would mean less corn needed, which means less subsidies, etc. Now that people are on that government teat, just like every other government teat, it is hard to pry it out of their mouths.

6410004_sef_sf16_pri_larg.jpg

Yeah, but can Ethonol figure out our defensive scheme?

Ethanol is bad policy, bad economics, bad for engines

Boat owners everywhere will not like this

Just pump more oil!