• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Types of Busts

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So the story on the main site about whether or not Bush was a “Bust” got me thinking about what exactly is the definition of a bust…

The general rule is that a Bust is a loss of value of an asset in regards to the value of the capital you put in. So in theory a seventh round pick or league minimum free agent signing that only contributes on special teams is not a bust, but a second or first round pick that ends up being a pure special teams player is… (think DHB for the raiders)

As far as I am concerned, there are several different types of Busts:

1. The Total bust. This is a guy whose talent simply doesn’t translate to the nfl or wasn’t there to begin with… this player doesn’t contribute anything at all to any team ever.
-Think Huey Richardson… just a stiff un-useable waste of assets

2. The Injury Bust. This guy’s career is ended or altered die to a major injury… its theoretically possible that they would have been worthy of the capital spent on acquiring them had the injury not happened.
-An example is Senquez Golson, who was a second round pick that lit up every practice but was never healthy enough to play a single snap for us…

3. The Character bust. This players Busts because of off the field issues. Drugs, Criminal behavior, immature behavior…
-Anthony Smith was a third round pick that was notoriously immature and didn’t have a great work ethic.. to date he is still the only player I can remember seeing DLB publicly berate on the sidelines… he spent six years in the NFL but only 3 with the Steelers… in those other 3 seasons, he bounced around to 4 different teams…

4. The Developmental Bust. This player never returns the investment that the initial team puts into him, but then puts it together for the next team. Sometimes this is the players fault and sometimes this is the teams fault…
- Kraig Urbik… a fourth round guard we gave up on after a season on the bench… he went on to play really well as a starter for the Bills until a knee injury derailed his career at 31… we simply failed to develop him and cut him..

5. The system or use Bust. This player simply doesn’t fit the system the team that acquired him runs, or the role they are trying to utilize him at.. this is similar to development busts but not the same.
-we got James Farrior because the Jets insisted on using him as a Olb … he switched here and had an all pro level career.. To jets fans he was a bust as an 8 OA pick…

6. The overstock bust. This happens when a team backlogs a position and a player never gets a chance… it’s basically a subset of the development issue… but they do develop the player… he just has nowhere to go on the team..
-Mike Vrabel is a great example… guy was a long term starter when he left here… he just couldn’t break past our established starters at olb.. the guy was here for four years and had zero start’s and relatively limited snaps despite showing playmaking ability … but he was also stuck behind names like Gildon, Lloyd, Emmons, and Porter in those seasons …

7. The political bust. These happen when a front office or coaching change happens or a rift between the coach and front office exists that causes a player to be replaced, cut, traded, or just mothballed in favor of a player the new coach or front office prefers. Jamain Stephens was likely just going to be a bust, but the Donahoe/ Cowher fued escalated him being jettisoned from the team… he was a first round pick and started ten games the year before.. he was cut in year 3 after doing poorly in the conditioning drills… it was similar to Haskins being cut in Washington so quickly during another coach /FO spat…

8. The Quitter… this rarely happens these days, but its the player that simply doesn’t want to play for the team and opts to just do something other than football… with the money these days, you really don’t see this happening anymore.. maybe a guy refuses to report, but that is no cost waiver wire guys like Justin Layne… not really draftees costing assets…

9. The overdrafted/ overspent bust. This is the most common type of bust in the early rounds… guys that have some value to a team but far less than the expectation based on the asset cost going in… Ziggy Hood, Edmunds, Burns… if these guys are third or fourth round picks, they would be good gets… but as firsts, they are viewed as busts.. swap the Draft positions of Mike Wallace and DHB and you get two pretty good picks.. but as it stands you get one bust and one utter steal.

This isn't the topic I clicked to read about.

I must add that a bronze bust of me, along with two other fellows, are displayed inside the lobby of the rock and roll hall of fame. The Trumvirate High Priests of Rock and Roll Knowledge.

Back to busts.....with pictures.

This isn't the topic I clicked to read about.

I must add that a bronze bust of me, along with two other fellows, are displayed inside the lobby of the rock and roll hall of fame. The Trumvirate High Priests of Rock and Roll Knowledge.

Back to busts.....with pictures.

As soon as I named it, I figured it would quickly fill up with pictures of non football related busts… but hey that isn’t the worst thing lol

There are different degrees of busts as well. I cringe whenever someone refers to Troy Edwards as the biggest Steelers bust of all time. A pure bust is a guy that simply wasn’t NFL material and never got another job after they left.

There are different degrees of busts as well. I cringe whenever someone refers to Troy Edwards as the biggest Steelers bust of all time. A pure bust is a guy that simply wasn’t NFL material and never got another job after they left.

Sure. Edwards would be a #9… he was a bust in as much he didn’t give the Steelers adequate return on the draft pick they invested in him, but he definitely was an nfl caliber wr…

With Troy Edwards, though, Steeler Nation anecdotally views his time here in mostly a negative light especially when combined with the fact that he was drafted with Jevon Kearse still on the board. Fair or unfair to Edwards, this was always going to be the case.

Sure. Edwards would be a #9… he was a bust in as much he didn’t give the Steelers adequate return on the draft pick they invested in him, but he definitely was an nfl caliber wr…
I don't consider Edwards a bust. He might have been overdrafted....but he was a solid starter for us in the end.

1Nat.gif

Is nice one of them? Nice bust

imo draft position has a huge factor on being a bust. If you draft a guy first round, top 15, and he ends up being an average starter or a depth piece and has a 10+ year career he is considered a bust. A guy drafted in the 5th round that does the same is looked at as a quality NFL player.

ok guys, which one does Devon Bush fit into? Im not giving him the injury bust.
But there was an element of that. Not sure if outweighed his fear of re injury. But I didn't think that explosion was the same.

That Bush was damaged goods.😁

imo draft position has a huge factor on being a bust. If you draft a guy first round, top 15, and he ends up being an average starter or a depth piece and has a 10+ year career he is considered a bust. A guy drafted in the 5th round that does the same is looked at as a quality NFL player.
50% of all first rounders don't get a second contract. You get a top 15 pick and he last 10 years as an average starter you did well.

Edit: I don't where I came up with the above. I meant was only 50% of all first rounders become average starters. If you get anyone for 10 years I think you did good.

Last edited:
What would you call Limas Sweed? He was an animal in college, but just deflated. I'll never forget him lying there on the field after missing another catchable pass from Ben. Tomlin had to go on the field and get him on his feet. Pathetic.

So the story on the main site about whether or not Bush was a “Bust” got me thinking about what exactly is the definition of a bust…

The general rule is that a Bust is a loss of value of an asset in regards to the value of the capital you put in. So in theory a seventh round pick or league minimum free agent signing that only contributes on special teams is not a bust, but a second or first round pick that ends up being a pure special teams player is… (think DHB for the raiders)

As far as I am concerned, there are several different types of Busts:

1. The Total bust. This is a guy whose talent simply doesn’t translate to the nfl or wasn’t there to begin with… this player doesn’t contribute anything at all to any team ever.
-Think Huey Richardson… just a stiff un-useable waste of assets
A girl not worth her weight in breasts

2. The Injury Bust. This guy’s career is ended or altered die to a major injury… its theoretically possible that they would have been worthy of the capital spent on acquiring them had the injury not happened.
-An example is Senquez Golson, who was a second round pick that lit up every practice but was never healthy enough to play a single snap for us…

2). Always complains of rough boob management.

3. The Character bust. This players Busts because of off the field issues. Drugs, Criminal behavior, immature behavior…
-Anthony Smith was a third round pick that was notoriously immature and didn’t have a great work ethic.. to date he is still the only player I can remember seeing DLB publicly berate on the sidelines… he spent six years in the NFL but only 3 with the Steelers… in those other 3 seasons, he bounced around to 4 different teams…
3). The kind of boobs you love to hangout with but don’t want you MoM to find out.

4. The Developmental Bust. This player never returns the investment that the initial team puts into him, but then puts it together for the next team. Sometimes this is the players fault and sometimes this is the teams fault…
- Kraig Urbik… a fourth round guard we gave up on after a season on the bench… he went on to play really well as a starter for the Bills until a knee injury derailed his career at 31… we simply failed to develop him and cut him..
4). To young for entertainment.

5. The system or use Bust. This player simply doesn’t fit the system the team that acquired him runs, or the role they are trying to utilize him at.. this is similar to development busts but not the same.
-we got James Farrior because the Jets insisted on using him as a Olb … he switched here and had an all pro level career.. To jets fans he was a bust as an 8 OA pick…
5). Quickly learn she just lays there and stinks………..

6. The overstock bust. This happens when a team backlogs a position and a player never gets a chance… it’s basically a subset of the development issue… but they do develop the player… he just has nowhere to go on the team..
-Mike Vrabel is a great example… guy was a long term starter when he left here… he just couldn’t break past our established starters at olb.. the guy was here for four years and had zero start’s and relatively limited snaps despite showing playmaking ability … but he was also stuck behind names like Gildon, Lloyd, Emmons, and Porter in those seasons …
6). She is the odd “bust” out, can only have so many “bust(s)” to play with

7. The political bust. These happen when a front office or coaching change happens or a rift between the coach and front office exists that causes a player to be replaced, cut, traded, or just mothballed in favor of a player the new coach or front office prefers. Jamain Stephens was likely just going to be a bust, but the Donahoe/ Cowher fued escalated him being jettisoned from the team… he was a first round pick and started ten games the year before.. he was cut in year 3 after doing poorly in the conditioning drills… it was similar to Haskins being cut in Washington so quickly during another coach /FO spat…

7). Can’t dump her as she is a sugar momA
8. The Quitter… this rarely happens these days, but its the player that simply doesn’t want to play for the team and opts to just do something other than football… with the money these days, you really don’t see this happening anymore.. maybe a guy refuses to report, but that is no cost waiver wire guys like Justin Layne… not really draftees costing assets…
9). She shakes and bakes but finds no interest in your tugging and pulling

9. The overdrafted/ overspent bust. This is the most common type of bust in the early rounds… guys that have some value to a team but far less than the expectation based on the asset cost going in… Ziggy Hood, Edmunds, Burns… if these guys are third or fourth round picks, they would be good gets… but as firsts, they are viewed as busts.. swap the Draft positions of Mike Wallace and DHB and you get two pretty good picks.. but as it stands you get one bust and one utter steal.
10). Only goes on “high class (cost)” dates with you but you still don’t get to second base………..

madinsomniac, you did a great job on the definitions, but I just wanted to “laugh” it up a little.

Salute the nation