• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

We Got a Little Lucky

nitsuj1225

Reaction score
This is not intended to be a doom and gloom post or take anything away from the standout performers from last night (Ben, AB, DWill, OLine, Shazier, Harrison etc..). I also apologize in advance if this somewhat negative post offends people on here.

With that said, there were a few head scratching moments and lucky bounces I think attributed to the win that no one is really talking about (frankly because we won). The opening day win was great, but for the same reason you shouldn't overreact after a loss, we should keep a level head after a win and focus on improving.

1) The moment I knew we would win went all the way back to the opening drive of the game. The Skins drove the ball easily into our territory (theme of the night) to about the 40 where they ended up with a 4th and 1 (because Gay whiffed on a tackle but that's beside the point). They decided to punt. Why? We had proven we couldn't stop Jordan Reed so why not go for the first down? That whole 27 yards they gained from punting is not how you beat a team that can easily put up 30+ points. John Gruden even called out his brother on-air for punting.

2) On the Skins 2nd drive, they were in the redzone and on 3rd down Cousins missed an extremely routine and wide open Crowder that would've picked up a first down inside the 10 but instead had to settle for a FG. A top 20 QB makes that throw in his sleep. It was reminiscent of a signature Kordell Stewart bounce pass. We got lucky that drive didn't amount to 7 because the D could not stop them up until that point. It was clear the defensive gameplan was to force Cousins to beat us and it proved to be the correct gameplan. Obviously against a better QB, that will not work and hopefully the lack of pressure was more about scheme than ability.

3) AB's non fumble, incomplete pass was a play we normally end up on the wrong side of. Based on the rule, I agree with the way it was called and glad it worked out in our favor, but if Desean Jackson had done that same thing and Gay knocks the ball out as he's turning, we would be screaming for something to change with the rule. If Norman knocks it out a half second later, we don't get the TD on 4th and 1 that drive and are still scoreless and trailing.

4) Ben's recovered fumble was one of the luckiest recoveries I've ever seen. I have no idea how they didn't scoop and score let alone not even recover the fumble to begin with. Again, just seems like we are usually on the wrong side of those so it was nice to have something like that bounce our way for once. However, AB doesn't get his 2nd TD on that drive if we lose the fumble and at worst the Skins get 3 out of it. That's a 10 point swing at a minimum and could've easily been 14 which would've set the stage for a much closer ending.

The two 4th and 1's for each team exemplified each team to a T. One goes for the win, the other just plays not to lose. Playing not to lose will typically return the opposite outcome.

P.S. I will never understand Ben's end of half clock management. You know it's bad when even the announcers are calling him out and you can tell from their reactions that the coaches don't even agree with his timeouts sometimes.

1 ) Cousins missed an extremely routine and wide open Crowder that would've picked up a first down inside the 10 but instead had to settle for a FG. A top 20 QB makes that throw in his sleep. It was reminiscent of a signature Kordell Stewart bounce pass. We got lucky that drive didn't amount to 7 because the D could not stop them up until that point. It was clear the defensive gameplan was to force Cousins to beat us and it proved to be the correct gameplan. Obviously against a better QB, that will not work and hopefully the lack of pressure was more about scheme than ability.

2 ) Ben's recovered fumble was one of the luckiest recoveries I've ever seen. I have no idea how they didn't scoop and score let alone not even recover the fumble to begin with. Again, just seems like we are usually on the wrong side of those so it was nice to have something like that bounce our way for once. However, AB doesn't get his 2nd TD on that drive if we lose the fumble and at worst the Skins get 3 out of it. That's a 10 point swing at a minimum and could've easily been 14 which would've set the stage for a much closer ending.

I will never understand Ben's end of half clock management. You know it's bad when even the announcers are calling him out and you can tell from their reactions that the coaches don't even agree with his timeouts sometimes.

I agree with you on point one. The DB's were pretty average and there was no pass rush. Lucky for us Cousin was off until we went into prevent mode. This rush 3 cover 8 won't work vs most QB's. Washington should have went 4 or 5 wide on us forcing us out of this coverage. We outcoached them.

Fumble recoveries are at times the way the ball bounces. Pouncey was alert and dived on a ball the Redskins player didn't fully grab. Him being alert was not lucky.

I have been saying it for years, the Steelers could use a time outs coach. Both Tomlin and Ben either leave too much time on the clock or burn too much time.

Ben's fumble (that could have been picked up and ran in) was in the 1st quarter with the Steelers down 6-0 it had nothing to do with Brown's second TD and on that fumble, Ben knocks the ball out of the guys hands as Pouncey is tackling him..then Pouncey wins the fight for the loose ball....Ben later drops the snap, picks it up and lets it fly immediately for a big gain to Coates....

If you "knew" the Steelers were going to win that early on...not sure why you are claiming luck now...

The Steelers won because they were the better team and took a few chances that paid off for them...the skins did not

You beat me to it nitsuj, I was going to mention the Skins' opening drive and electing to punt around the 40 yard line. They were moving the ball, they were at home, and had momentum. If you're not kicking a FG, you better damn well go for it. Fortunately we have Mike Tomlin as our coach and he never makes that mistake on 4th and short on the opponent's side of the field out side of FG range. We take this for granted now as Steeler fans, but it's a big reason why the Steelers are putting up more points. They're going for it more often on 4th downs.

Ben Fed up at the end of the game calling a TO with 1:11 on the clock inside of the 30. He's always quick on the TOs, when he has plenty of time to huddle up and run a play. I always go by yardage vs time. You need to have the amount of time left on the clock match your yardage needed to score. They could have easily executed with 33 seconds from that spot. Inside the 20, you'd like to have 20sec. It gives you 4 plays and a chance to score with a TD or a FG.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Coates errrr Eli Rogers TD. That ball could have bounced anywhere. Eli wasn't even ready for it, but he reacted after it hit his arm, and he alertly hung on for the TD. Way to earn your first TD as a pro on a ball that wasn't even thrown to you! Coates has to do a better job of catching with his hands. He's doing himself a disservice trying to body catch. Eli, Wheaton, and AB don't make that mistake. Coates did improve as the game went on, but his drops (which people will incorrectly refer to as focus) will be a problem that will continue to plague him this year, unless he uses proper hand placement. Still Coates earns the assist on Eli's first TD!

Also the Redskins were very fortunate to make that athletic INT on the Eli pass attempt. I initially thought Rogers knocked it up, but he never touched the ball. Breeland got his arm on it, knocked it up and picked it off himself. It was a great athletic play by the corner, who had a rough night otherwise.

You're correct that the Steelers got a couple bounces early. That certainly may have changed the complexion of the game. However had the Skins gotten up by a significant amount, one can assume they would have started throwing less (logically) and trying to run more. Given the shortcomings of our defense this strategy actually helps the Steelers.

As the game continued, the Steelers showed tremendous poise and commitment. I called for a FG on the 4th and 1 that ended up being a TD. Actually as you saw Rodgers was WIDE open for an easy 5 or 6 on that play but Ben saw that Brown had a step and he went for it all. The play worked out. Had the pass been broken up, of course the Nation would have second guessed it overwhelmingly. However we must remember that Ben is at heart "the gunslinger". It was that kind of willingness to throw the bomb on 4th and 1 that made the Skins play back on their heels the rest of the game and which later on opened up the running game against a worn down Skins defense.

Also keep in mind disaster HAD struck. Ben threw a good ball to Rodgers who just didn't make the right play on in it and it was intercepted. The put the defense in a huge hole when they were already down 3 and suddenly they were faced with putting the team in a hole for 10. What did they do? They held for a FG what was already pretty much in range if I remember correctly.

So, while I agree that things certainly could have gone poorly had a ball bounced wrong here or there, the team by and large just stayed determined and poised. I'm always one of the quick ones to ***** about specific weaknesses I see in Tomlin's coaching, but in this case, I feel like he did a great job and the players (to borrow a really nauseating Tomlinism) "didn't blink".

the team executed well above and below the neck, obvoiously. The rest is popcorn

Ben's fumble (that could have been picked up and ran in) was in the 1st quarter with the Steelers down 6-0 it had nothing to do with Brown's second TD and on that fumble, Ben knocks the ball out of the guys hands as Pouncey is tackling him..then Pouncey wins the fight for the loose ball....Ben later drops the snap, picks it up and lets it fly immediately for a big gain to Coates....

If you "knew" the Steelers were going to win that early on...not sure why you are claiming luck now...

The Steelers won because they were the better team and took a few chances that paid off for them...the skins did not

You are correct. My mistake. I looked at the plays and saw a Ben fumble and recovery and assumed it was that one but it was the same drive as the AB non fumble. Thanks for correcting.

You beat me to it nitsuj, I was going to mention the Skins' opening drive and electing to punt around the 40 yard line. They were moving the ball, they were at home, and had momentum. If you're not kicking a FG, you better damn well go for it. Fortunately we have Mike Tomlin as our coach and he never makes that mistake on 4th and short on the opponent's side of the field out side of FG range. We take this for granted now as Steeler fans, but it's a big reason why the Steelers are putting up more points. They're going for it more often on 4th downs.

Ben Fed up at the end of the game calling a TO with 1:11 on the clock inside of the 30. He's always quick on the TOs, when he has plenty of time to huddle up and run a play. I always go by yardage vs time. You need to have the amount of time left on the clock match your yardage needed to score. They could have easily executed with 33 seconds from that spot. Inside the 20, you'd like to have 20sec. It gives you 4 plays and a chance to score with a TD or a FG.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Coates errrr Eli Rogers TD. That ball could have bounced anywhere. Eli wasn't even ready for it, but he reacted after it hit his arm, and he alertly hung on for the TD. Way to earn your first TD as a pro on a ball that wasn't even thrown to you! Coates has to do a better job of catching with his hands. He's doing himself a disservice trying to body catch. Eli, Wheaton, and AB don't make that mistake. Coates did improve as the game went on, but his drops (which people will incorrectly refer to as focus) will be a problem that will continue to plague him this year, unless he uses proper hand placement. Still Coates earns the assist on Eli's first TD!

Also the Redskins were very fortunate to make that athletic INT on the Eli pass attempt. I initially thought Rogers knocked it up, but he never touched the ball. Breeland got his arm on it, knocked it up and picked it off himself. It was a great athletic play by the corner, who had a rough night otherwise.

I knew I was missing one with the Rodgers TD. Another perfect example of a potential INT turned into a pretty lucky TD. I do think we were pretty unfortunate with the Breeland pick (great play and concentration) which was really the only play I can think of that went against us.

Luck is part of the game as well. I'll take it along with the dominant performance by our current offense and hope we can continue this type of display for the next game vs. the Bengals! Go Steelers!!!

Luck was on our side last night. Great when it happens, frustrating as hell when it doesn't.

Villanueva had a major choke hold on his guy during Ben's fumble.

The Redskins didn't play very well and beat themselves on many drives with dumb penalties.

They're not going to beat the Bengals with a 3 man pass rush like that, playing all zone. Cousins was a check-down Charlie all night, all underneath stuff.

We got away with no blitzes.

I don't think that will work against Red and AJ, they will bomb it deep.

They're not going to beat the Bengals with a 3 man pass rush like that, playing all zone. Cousins was a check-down Charlie all night, all underneath stuff.

they knew they could get away with it against cousins...I don't expect they will try the same tactic against ginger boy

A little luck doesn't account for the 22 point *** whooping.....minus the luck maybe it is just a 10 point game.....

Yeah, it was party time in the 4th quarter.

Theres luck in every win or loss. Skins aren't as good a test as the Bungholes. But given that, a double digit beatdown is exactly what you would like to see.

**** dropped a ball that could have been intercepted.

One could go as far to say **** was out of place,

hate when that happens

I said we were lucky in the game comments thread. Most of you hit on the points I made. I would add the bomb to AB on there. I liked we went for it, but the coverage on AB was decent while Rogers had no one on him at all. Obviously AB and Ben have a special connection, but I thought that pass was risky at that point in the game.

With us playing our zone we were giving them everything underneath and they took it. I think if Ginger would throw deep all game that it would be playing into our hands with that defense we were playing. Heck. We had guys playing way way back so we wouldn't give up anything deep.

P.S. I will never understand Ben's end of half clock management. You know it's bad when even the announcers are calling him out and you can tell from their reactions that the coaches don't even agree with his timeouts sometimes.

Uhhhhh ... no. Look, I get that Tomlin & Co. have made some add choices in time management in years past, but Ben's work at the end of the 1st half was freaking masterful.

He took a TO with about 1:11 remaining after the 19-yard completion to Rogers to the Skins 15-yard line to keep the running game as a threat, with a decent amount of time left and with 2 more timeouts remaining. He drove the team to a 1st down at the Skins 3 with the completion to James and uses the team's 2nd timeout.

Still 31 seconds left in the half, with one timeout remaining. Ben has plenty of time for 3 offensive plays, and if he gets sacked, no worries - still has the timeout.

Gets the deflected TD with 27 seconds left in the half.

What the hell did he do that deserves criticism??

They has a good game plan. I believe I read it here but Cousins thrives on man to man coverage. He likes the reads on that. He seemed tentative on where to go ahainot zone. Then near the goal line where the windows were small his accuracy became an issue. There will be mistakes every game. I really cannot nit pick anything about the game plan, or overall execution. I'd have thrown a challenge when Cousins arm got hit in the fourth. I thought it was the empty hand call. Other than that nothing bad to say.

the team executed well above and below the neck, obvoiously. The rest is popcorn

Luck is merely when preparation meets opportunity.

Redskins got some lucky breaks in that game, as well. Crowder fumble that bounced perfectly to Garcon in stride for him to pick up another 10 yards or so. Granted, Shazier made INT on the next play but still it was luck.

With us playing our zone we were giving them everything underneath and they took it. I think if Ginger would throw deep all game that it would be playing into our hands with that defense we were playing. Heck. We had guys playing way way back so we wouldn't give up anything deep.

If he has all day to throw, our secondary will be exposed, Skins never even tried to spread us out - they will.

Did u see Timmons trying to cover DeSean Jackson?

ha ha