• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Week 6: Steelers-Dolphins Game Preview

IronMike52

Registered
Reaction score
The wins have piled up in the first five weeks of the 2016 NFL season for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Unfortunately, so have the injuries.

The Steelers (4-1) enter Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla., on Sunday (Oct. 16) for a matchup against the Miami Dolphins (1-4) in sole possession of first place in the AFC North Division. They do so with a fair share of bumps and bruises, though.

Defensive end Cameron Heyward has been ruled out with a hamstring injury. Wide receivers Sammie Coates (finger) and Markus Wheaton (shoulder) have not practiced this week. Starting tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle) and Cody Wallace (knee) have also continued to miss practice with ailments that kept them out of action the last few weeks. Linebacker Ryan Shazier, who missed the last two games with a knee injury, was limited in practice on Thursday.

Pittsburgh's injury woes have caused their franchise quarterback to wonder if the physical nature of 10th-year head coach Mike Tomlin's training camps and practices is keeping key players from being available to contribute on game day.

“We have a lot of injuries," said Roethlisberger, who leads the NFL with 15 touchdown passes. “I think a lot of our stuff stems from we’re one of the most physical football teams in training camp, in practice, you know. We do more hitting than most teams do and more pads. I think sometimes it takes a toll on some guys, you know, hamstrings and quads and guys reinjuring things.”

Tomlin responded by saying that he'd take Roethlisberger's concerns into account.

"It's a conversation that we continually have," said Tomlin. "You know you got to walk a fine line. It's a delicate thing: team development and readiness, not enough, too much. Those discussions are ongoing, and it's a legitimate one."

The injuries have allowed Tomlin to flex the strength of the team's depth, however. Jordan Dangerfield has performed admirably starting in place of injured Robert Golden at strong safety, who has fully participated in practice the past two days after dealing with a hamstring injury. Chris Hubbard got the start at right tackle in place of Gilbert in last Sunday's 31-13 triumph over the New York Jets and did not allow a sack or commit a penalty. Linebacker Vince Williams started at the left inside spot in place of Shazier the past two weeks and has compiled 25 tackles and two sacks.

Once again, Tomlin and the Steelers will have to find a way to win in Miami with their "next man up" approach and hope they can escape South Florida without further damage going into their week seven showdown against the New England Patriots on Oct. 23 at Heinz Field -- a game that may very well decide home field advantage in the AFC playoffs in January.

SAVE THE DOLPHINS
Rookie head coach Adam Gase came to Miami following offensive coordinator stints with the Denver Broncos and Chicago Bears carrying the reputation of being a quarterback guru. Through five weeks of the 2016 NFL season, his magic has not rubbed off on his latest pupil.

The Dolphins are 28th in the NFL in points per game (17.6) and 29th in yards per game (303.8). Embattled quarterback Ryan Tannehill is tied for third in the league with seven interceptions, and his 83.6 passer rating ranks 21st.

Miami, which made Tannehill the sixth-highest paid quarterback in the NFL last year, has won just 30 games in the Texas A&M product's four-plus seasons as the Dolphins' starting signal caller. The Dolphins haven't won a playoff game since 2000. Gase must find a way to help Miami make good on its Tannehill investment, or his tenure patrolling the Hard Rock Stadium sidelines could be brief.

MIAMI INJURY REPORT
Tight end Jordan Cameron (concussion), cornerback Xavien Howard (knee) and safety Reshad Jones (groin) have all missed Miami's first two practices this week, per the team's official injury report.

SERIES HISTORY
Pittsburgh leads the regular season series over Miami, 12-10, but the Steelers are just 6-7 against the Dolphins in Miami. The Dolphins came away with a wild 34-28 win over the Steelers on Dec. 8, 2013, at Heinz Field in the last meeting between the two teams, but Pittsburgh has walked away victorious in each of its last three trips to Miami.

MISCELLANEOUS
Ed Hochuli's crew is set to officiate Sunday's game in Miami. CBS Sports will broadcast the contest, with Spero Dedes and Solomon Wilcots on the call. The Weather.com forecast for Miami on Sunday calls for scattered thunderstorms (60% chance of rain) and a high temperature of 82 degrees.

#SteelerNation

Last edited:
I am concerned this is a trap game. We are 6-7 in Miami to boot.

i will be wearing a Heath Miller jersey, so the game is a lock.

Watched part of one Miami game and they were painfully bad. It'd be nice to see the D feast on a bad O, but they may go back to that system of letting the WR catch the ball, then tackle. Let em run wild between the 20's, then shut it down. Tannehill is more likely to make a mistake even against that D than some of the other QB's.

I am concerned this is a trap game. We are 6-7 in Miami to boot.

Comes down to the players themselves executing. They have to want the game more.

I don't believe in trap games. That's a bullshit excuse. If the better team executes and doesn't commit turn overs and penalties they should win. Offensively Miami is extremely challenged, the defense just needs to play decent if the offense does what it should every game and score thirty points. I see it being like 34 - 24 Steelers.

The only thing that will keep this game close, is if the steelers are -3 in turnovers for that game.

Rare absence by Heyward leaves big void in Steelers' defense

Dating to his college career at Ohio State and his high school days in Georgia, Steelers defensive end Cameron Heyward can't remember sitting out a football game.

“This is new territory for me,” Heyward said Thursday.

It's also new for the Steelers, who for the first time in 50 regular-season games won't have Heyward in the starting lineup when they play the Miami Dolphins on Sunday at Hard Rock Stadium.

Heyward is recovering from a left hamstring strain he suffered midway through the second quarter last Sunday against the New York Jets. He has been ruled out against the Dolphins, ending a streak of 85 consecutive regular-season games played and that run of 49 straight starts, tied for fifth longest among active defensive ends.

“I'll be an extra set of eyes,” Heyward said about his role Sunday. “They'll have to pull most of the weight.”

Heyward was referring to veteran Ricardo Mathews and rookie Javon Hargrave, the players tasked with replacing him in the defensive rotation.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11302767-74/heyward-steelers-defensive

Rare absence by Heyward leaves big void in Steelers' defense

Dating to his college career at Ohio State and his high school days in Georgia, Steelers defensive end Cameron Heyward can't remember sitting out a football game.

“This is new territory for me,” Heyward said Thursday.

It's also new for the Steelers, who for the first time in 50 regular-season games won't have Heyward in the starting lineup when they play the Miami Dolphins on Sunday at Hard Rock Stadium.

Heyward is recovering from a left hamstring strain he suffered midway through the second quarter last Sunday against the New York Jets. He has been ruled out against the Dolphins, ending a streak of 85 consecutive regular-season games played and that run of 49 straight starts, tied for fifth longest among active defensive ends.

“I'll be an extra set of eyes,” Heyward said about his role Sunday. “They'll have to pull most of the weight.”

Heyward was referring to veteran Ricardo Mathews and rookie Javon Hargrave, the players tasked with replacing him in the defensive rotation.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11302767-74/heyward-steelers-defensive

Heyward is our best defensive player, which makes his absence concerning, even against a crappy Miami offense. However, I'm pretty interested to see what Javon Hargrave can do. Of all of our draft picks this year, I think his potential excites me the most.

I don't believe in trap games. That's a bullshit excuse. If the better team executes and doesn't commit turn overs and penalties they should win. Offensively Miami is extremely challenged, the defense just needs to play decent if the offense does what it should every game and score thirty points. I see it being like 34 - 24 Steelers.

Even bad NFL teams are made up of professional players. If our coaches let the players believe their own hype they can get duped into not playing to their potential. You can disregard trap games if you want, the team can't afford to do that though.

I'm pretty interested to see what Javon Hargrave can do. Of all of our draft picks this year, I think his potential excites me the most.

Yeah he seems to be sticking his nose in there pretty good, somebody needs to step up.

Maybe it's Tuitt time, he could be our most underrated player,

ESPN says Wheaton and Coates may miss the game.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...li-rogers-in-sammie-coates-markus-wheaton-out

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers' high-powered offense faces another test this week.

The receiving corps might be down to three healthy players from the 53-man roster, making practice squad receiver Cobi Hamilton an eligible call-up for Sunday's game at Miami.

Sammie Coates (hand laceration) and Markus Wheaton (shoulder) have missed back-to-back practices, and though they still have time to rebound, the chances aren't good for players who miss most of a practice week. When coach Mike Tomlin says "practice participation will be our guide," he means it. Don't practice, don't play.

Only thing I worry about is they would be looking ahead to NE and lose focus for this game. If that happens 2 weeks from now we are looking at a 4-3 record.

Coates was limited today. Stitches will come out Sunday, so his laceration won't be an issue. Can have this done by the team doctors in the morning, and should be able to practice and play on Sunday.