• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

When someone says, who could replace the HC?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
There is some really interesting names out there if the Steelers man up and reboot.

Look at what Detroit's OC has done with them setting a franchise record for 30 plus point games..one of my favorites. Chargers OC is very interesting, monitoring that offense progression... Staying away from DCs as I prefer a brilliant offensive minded coach to get with the current trends.

I think it is time to get past the b b but who can replace Tomlin concern. We obviously will not be competing for trophies in the near future. Some had Goff down as an afterthought.

No this isn't a bash Tomlin thread he had his moments, this is a get back on track with who is out there to get this team back in contention.

**** if the 49ers beat Cleveland they break a franchise record for consecutive wins.

KC, 49ers, Philly, and Bills all are in yearly contention. It is time for the Steelers to try to follow suit. Standing still isn't trying.

Slash when I heard a radio interview the other day (think it was with Lomas Brown or whatever former OL from Detroit is currently covering the team) and the way he absolutely gushed over the ingenuity of the OC up there I must admit I was a bit jealous

Talking about things like how he breaks down defenders, exploits tendencies and sets up explosive plays…wow!!! And we wait impatiently as our guy keeps eating his crayons

Non toxic crayons. Just like Elmer's glue.

Slash when I heard a radio interview the other day (think it was with Lomas Brown or whatever former OL from Detroit is currently covering the team) and the way he absolutely gushed over the ingenuity of the OC up there I must admit I was a bit jealous

Talking about things like how he breaks down defenders, exploits tendencies and sets up explosive plays…wow!!! And we wait impatiently as our guy keeps eating his crayons
Exactly. Imagine a highly capable X and O coach to go with the scouting department? This team needs a new approach badly.

Look at what Detroit's OC has done with them setting a franchise record for 30 plus point games..one of my favorites. Chargers OC is very interesting, monitoring that offense progression... Staying away from DCs as I prefer a brilliant offensive minded coach to get with the current trends.

I think it is time to get past the b b but who can replace Tomlin concern. We obviously will not be competing for trophies in the near future. Some had Goff down as an afterthought.

No this isn't a bash Tomlin thread he had his moments, this is a get back on track with who is out there to get this team back in contention.

**** if the 49ers beat Cleveland they break a franchise record for consecutive wins.

KC, 49ers, Philly, and Bills all are in yearly contention. It is time for the Steelers to try to follow suit. Standing still isn't trying.

9cb81ae183fb2175ee1cfa2848f155726ffe4f37ee34a1658aa60280448c1f79.jpg

Not aimed at you Slash lol. We Steeler fans in general. lol

Last edited:

It is funny mixed with a little irony. I never have rated women . Sure I have liked many of them,etc. The ones I considered super hot seemed to always give me the most problems. Sure I have had what people would consider both sides of the ratings.

But yeah I am HC dreaming knowing reality paints a different picture. But a man can dare to dream!

It has become very clear to me. Whoever it is they should be an acting OC. Then you have both locked up and the HC can be held responsible for the offense which let's face it the league demands offensive success to compete now. A really good DC can be had every year. And honestly less likely to leave as HC if he is successful.

It wouldn’t even need to be a new HC if Tomlin would hire guys like they did in Detroit or LA. Does anyone think Campbell is a playbook genius? Staley shouldn’t even have a job anymore for the leads his team blows and underachieving with that roster. They still hire quality assistants.

Slash, I totally agree with everything you said.
The Steelers have become loyal to a fault. It’s actually holding them back and they just don’t see it.
Tomlin like the Steelers organization are both badly in need of a fresh start for both their sakes.
Mike Tomlin has an old school philosophy in how football is played and it’s not in alignment with todays high octane football.
He’s become far too comfortable, far too stubborn in his ways, and for some reason insecure as indicated by the lack of quality coaching hires.
Steelers ownership simply don’t get it and therefore will continue to muddle along at a snails pace on the autobahn NFL highway.

It wouldn’t even need to be a new HC if Tomlin would hire guys like they did in Detroit or LA. Does anyone think Campbell is a playbook genius? Staley shouldn’t even have a job anymore for the leads his team blows and underachieving with that roster. They still hire quality assistants.
It would take more than that (although that would give the team a better fighting chance to compete). It has been said he has his fingers in the cookie jar. If a HC is restricting schematics that can detour results even if capable coaches are in place.

Replace them with competent and keep your hands off? sure. It has shown that is a highly unlikely. Which why plan B should be the approach.

Solid gold 100% totally agree. The problem is we are now roughly 10 years after the Cowher coaches are gone more or less and he has shown zero ability to do that. There is no track record of his assistant coaches achieving anything. So while the Steelers HC job if vacant might he the most coveted position in all of Sports the Coordinator, assistant and positional coach jobs appear to be dead end. I like Tomlin the personality and the quotes.....a lot. I just think his time has come and went. Approximately 6 years ago too.

9cb81ae183fb2175ee1cfa2848f155726ffe4f37ee34a1658aa60280448c1f79.jpg

Edit:
And that's not to say we are nerds either.lol..."see what happens when you lay your hand on a Steeler fan:- Charlie Daniels RIP
Look at coaching prospects but can't touch.
Rooney will never even look.

Edit:
And that's not to say we are nerds either.lol..."see what happens when you lay your hand on a Steeler fan:- Charlie Daniels RIP
Look at coaching prospects but can't touch.
Rooney will never even look.
Loved Charlie's Monday night intro's.

I'm not familiar with those but I do miss "Are You Ready For Some Football!?!?!".. Hank Williams Jr. is also a Steeler fan.
Oops wrong musician my error. But yeah loved those.😅

Slash, I totally agree with everything you said.
The Steelers have become loyal to a fault. It’s actually holding them back and they just don’t see it.
Tomlin like the Steelers organization are both badly in need of a fresh start for both their sakes.
Mike Tomlin has an old school philosophy in how football is played and it’s not in alignment with todays high octane football.
He’s become far too comfortable, far too stubborn in his ways, and for some reason insecure as indicated by the lack of quality coaching hires.
Steelers ownership simply don’t get it and therefore will continue to muddle along at a snails pace on the autobahn NFL highway.

It's not even close to being old school. They've been passive in the running game and OL far too long for that.

They tried to be the greatest show on turf with Ben,Brown and Bell. That fell short.

Nothing about this offense is old school. I don't even know what to call it. It's like a record with a scratch in it replaying over and over.

The only saving grace is those edge rushers. Without them this team is winless. Even with them they got blown out in two games when neutralized.

I've been pretty much repeated this stuff over and over for 13 years. I need to save it in note tab so I can copy and paste it each year.

I'm pretty convinced. Old school is done. You can win a lot of games with run and defense. I think the rules prohibit beating best passing teams.

It would take more than that (although that would give the team a better fighting chance to compete). It has been said he has his fingers in the cookie jar. If a HC is restricting schematics that can detour results even if capable coaches are in place.

Replace them with competent and keep your hands off? sure. It has shown that is a highly unlikely. Which why plan B should be the approach.
Yep, this is where I'm at. Even if he miraculously began hiring competent assistants, which he doesn't and won't, who is to say that he would be hands off.

Yep, this is where I'm at. Even if he miraculously began hiring competent assistants, which he doesn't and won't, who is to say that he would be hands off.
It's where I'm at as well. He's proven time and again he won't on both issues. We're leading the AFCN, which is great - I just wish we could go farther. We know how the movie ends. Like Slash always says about the X's and O's.

It's not even close to being old school. They've been passive in the running game and OL far too long for that.

They tried to be the greatest show on turf with Ben,Brown and Bell. That fell short.

Nothing about this offense is old school. I don't even know what to call it. It's like a record with a scratch in it replaying over and over.

The only saving grace is those edge rushers. Without them this team is winless. Even with them they got blown out in two games when neutralized.

I've been pretty much repeated this stuff over and over for 13 years. I need to save it in note tab so I can copy and paste it each year.
Old school in that he’s trying to win with short passing game, running game, low risk offense and keep it close until 4th qtr. then win it with his defense.
Problems are, rushing game sucks, short passing game not very efficient, playcalling way too predictable, OL not good at this time.
The occasional “chunk play” as Shades likes to call them, are not occasional enough.
There simply is zero rythem to Mr.Canada’s offense.

I'm pretty convinced. Old school is done. You can win a lot of games with run and defense. I think the rules prohibit beating best passing teams.
Just wait… sacks are slowly climbing up and its getting really hard to find legitimately talented Olinemen because guys don’t want to bulk up like that and the alot of the best athletes in that size who are playing football are mostly going over to DL because its an easier payday unless you are a LT…

So there is a very low whisper starting about the league needing to legalize oline holding … which will be another knife in the back of Defense Football … they better never do it… but every time I say that they seem to…