• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

WHO can afford to go ????

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I was listening to CBS Saturday Morning and they said the average cost of the Super Bowl ticket went down from last year.

The AVERAGE cost of a ticket was $6,800.00 which they indicated was down from last year. I didn’t catch the last year average.

Who here would pay that to go this year? What if it were the STEELERS playing ?

They interviewed a Philly fan and he indicated he cashed in his 401K to afford the trip…….. NEVER a good idea.

Myself, I wouldn’t go for two reasons
1). The game of football is meaningless and I have very little investment into it (YES, love the STEELERS, but even they are becoming less than what they were and becoming more and more NFL-ey).
2). The money I have has been earned by HARD work / sweat / & tears, NOT a chance in. Hell I spend it on a meaningless product that I can watch 10 times better at home.

WHAT SAY YOU STEELERS NATION ?

Salute the nation

No way. I was born and raised a Steelers fan. It’s in my blood, but at some point in my adult life I realized it wasn’t worth getting so emotionally invested in something I have no control over. $7K would pay for a nice week vacation pretty much anywhere you wanted to go. Seems like a better value.
They interviewed a Philly fan and he indicated he cashed in his 401K to afford the trip…….. NEVER a good idea.
As a financial advisor, hearing this hits me like a knife to the temple.

No way. I was born and raised a Steelers fan. It’s in my blood, but at some point in my adult life I realized it wasn’t worth getting so emotionally invested in something I have no control over. $7K would pay for a nice week vacation pretty much anywhere you wanted to go. Seems like a better value.

As a financial advisor, hearing this hits me like a knife to the temple.
This^^^

I was listening to CBS Saturday Morning and they said the average cost of the Super Bowl ticket went down from last year.

The AVERAGE cost of a ticket was $6,800.00 which they indicated was down from last year. I didn’t catch the last year average.

1). The game of football is meaningless and I have very little investment into it (YES, love the STEELERS, but even they are becoming less than what they were and becoming more and more NFL-ey).
2). The money I have has been earned by HARD work / sweat / & tears, NOT a chance in. Hell I spend it on a meaningless product that I can watch 10 times better at home.

Salute the nation
My money is hard earned on sweat.
Tear’s though? Not so sure about that just yet

Salute the nation
I will disagree with just one thing you said, the Steelers haven't become more "NFL-ey". In fact I think that is why so many get frustrated with them and the reason I love them. They steadfastly refuse to chase coaching and rashly make big money moves to win short term with splashy free agents. They are slow and steady and that frustrates many of the fans.

Salute the nation
This isn't something any of us here have needed to worry about for a while now, but I can't fathom shelling out that much just to get inside a stadium.
Guessing many are corporate tickets, or the same folks that shell out hundreds of thousands at car auctions, although they at least can sell the car again.

I've been inside this particular stadium many times, it's nice enough, but getting out of the parking lot is a pain in the ***.

Too late to rent out my house for $10,000, maybe next time.

I went to two. The AFC Championship games I attended were significantly better events to attend.

Why go to the game when you can relax in the comfort of your home for nothing. I remember going to the Rose bowl to watch the Steelers play the Rams. I think it was 1980 or 1981. Had endzone tickets and they cost me $40. What a miserable experience, I will never go to another.

I do not spend money on the NFL. have not since they started kneeling for the flag. except the NFL ticket.

That being said, I used to go to games all the time. Never a Super Bowl. 2 afc Championships. good times. but crowded. and I hate crowds

Why go to the game when you can relax in the comfort of your home for nothing. I remember going to the Rose bowl to watch the Steelers play the Rams. I think it was 1980 or 1981. Had endzone tickets and they cost me $40. What a miserable experience, I will never go to another.
Went to that game as well, my father mailed me the tickets, he was a season ticket holder and lived in Pittsburgh. I had moved out to California in 79. I remember the Steeler side was the west side of the Rose Bowl, Rams were on the opposite side. When you walked into the stadium they were handing out these mementos that were silver reflective material I believe. The fans on the east side were using them to reflect the sun as it set behind us and were trying to blind us at the games beginning.

Anyway scalpers were selling tickets before the game between 30 and 40 dollars lol.

Was a time I would go. But the prices are extreme now. I can have a more up close watch at home. If I want to see the Steelers I can go to a regular season game or go to Latrobe...

For the average earning fan, you’d have to have rocks in your head to attend any SB. I would rather see it at a great bar/pub. Or at home like I do. That being said, I work in the construction industry on new residential custom housing. Anybody building a new house in Vancouver has money. And it never ceases to amaze me how many people have tons of money. 10,000$ to many, many people is nothing. If I was one of those people I’d go in a heartbeat.

Hell no! Back in the seventies it was affordable for the fan but now it’s nothing more than an overhyped social gathering for the wealthy where many know very little about the game.
Geez! Look at the halftime shows!
The corporations buy up the seats and luxury suites for their clients who care very little for the teams playing.
Of course you have the nut that will cash in his 401k or max out his credit cards but that should never have to be the case.
The game has changed and I don’t mean for the better.

Last edited:
Went to that game as well, my father mailed me the tickets, he was a season ticket holder and lived in Pittsburgh. I had moved out to California in 79. I remember the Steeler side was the west side of the Rose Bowl, Rams were on the opposite side. When you walked into the stadium they were handing out these mementos that were silver reflective material I believe. The fans on the east side were using them to reflect the sun as it set behind us and were trying to blind us at the games beginning.

Anyway scalpers were selling tickets before the game between 30 and 40 dollars lol.

NICE story, thanks for sharing that.

Do you remember who won ???

Salute the nation

Just curious if you remember who won that game ???

Salute the nation

Was a time I would go. But the prices are extreme now. I can have a more up close watch at home. If I want to see the Steelers I can go to a regular season game or go to Latrobe...

I’ve gone to several games in my lifetime and once was an unbelievable time at Heinz Field (I’ll tell that story another time).

EVERY game I went to in PITTSBURGH was as much enjoyable about the game as also about the city and atmosphere.

Salute the nation

Basically you get two teams with their fan base probably in the 5 million plus range. Among that 10 million you have enough people to call 7k chump Change. Plus just the really wealthy who just go and dont care who plays. If I knew I'd get Steelers Cardinals 7 k wouldn't be that bad. Just as likely to get a loss. Too much money would make it too stressful.

They've gone way up. I think the last SB we were in, I saw tix for about $2,000 and I was seriously thinking about going. I should have pulled the trigger.