• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who is the Best Free Agent QB for the Steelers? (Part 1)

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
We had an in-depth dive a few weeks ago into quarterbacks the Pittsburgh Steelers could trade for and what they would cost. Today we’re going to start talking about the top free agent quarterbacks and if they could be a fit for the Steelers.

I’ll start with the 5 oldest quarterbacks in this article, then we can discuss the 5 youngest quarterbacks tomorrow in part 2. Don’t want to wait for tomorrow’s article? Check out the most recent Steeler Nation Podcast where G.Stryker goes over all 10 options.

*Each quarterback is listed with the number of games played in 2021. Starting record will be shown in parenthesis if they started any games. Touchdowns, Interceptions, Passing Yards, Fumbles, and if they are mobile, Rushing Yards, Rushing Touchdowns, and Rushing Fumbles will also be notated.

1) Ryan Fitzpatrick Age 39, 1 Game, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 13 Pass Yds, 1 Fumble

Fitzmagic is a cult hero around the league as the guy who can come off the bench and will a team to victory. He’s the same age as Ben Reothlisberger and he’s been on a whopping 9 different teams! Fitzpatrick was named the starter Week 1 for the Washington Commanders, but unfortunately, he suffered a hip injury in his first game and never returned the rest of the year. Though I respect his beard game tremendously, I think it’s time for him to retire and rest that aching hip on the back porch next to grandma.

2) Joe Flacco Age 34, 2 Games (0-1), 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 338 Pass Yds, 1 Fumble

Shane Falco … sorry, Joe Flacco put together the single greatest playoff run in NFL history. 11 TDs, 0 INTs playing road games in Denver and New England to finish with a Super Bowl MVP Award. It appeared as though Joe was finally ‘elite’. Unfortunately, the only thing he won after that point was a huge contract that locked him in Baltimore for another 6 seasons. I love his size, as he’s the biggest FA QB at 6’6” tall, 245 lbs, but he is no longer as mobile as he was in his younger days. At this point in his career, never being named to a Pro Bowl, I fear this flightless Big Bird is only now an ‘elite’ backup.

3) Andy Dalton Age 33, 8 Games (3-3), 8 TDs, 9 INTs, 1,515 Pass Yds, 1 Fumble

Another former QB from the good ol’ AFC North. The Red Rifle got some good playing time in the windy city, but he’s now throwing more interceptions than touchdowns. I like that Andy is a competent game manager and capable backup, and he’s been to the Pro Bowl 3 times, but he’s also pushing 35 years of age and QBs don’t become superstars that late in their careers.

4) Cam Newton Age 33, 8 Games (0-5), 4 TDs, 5 INTs, 684 Pass Yds, 230 Rush Yds, 5 RTDs, 1 Fumble

Superman is the most decorated free agent QB with 3 Pro Bowls, Rookie of the Year, and NFL MVP Awards. He’s a huge quarterback at 6’5” tall, 235 lbs, and mobile enough to score and extend plays with his legs. He leads all free agent QBs with 230 rushing yards. Unfortunately however, his arm is becoming a problem as he’s now throwing more INTs than TDs. He took over for a 5-7 team when he was named the starter in Carolina last year, only to lose 5 straight before being benched the last 2 games of the season. Sadly, it looks like winning is now Cam’s kryptonite since he hasn’t had a winning record since 2017.

5) Tyrod Taylor Age 33, 6 Games (2-4), 5 TDs, 5 INTs, 966 Pass Yds, 151 Rush Yds, 3 RTDs, 3 Fumbles

T-Mobile might be the single greatest nickname to describe this mobile, diverse quarterback. He had a great year in 2015 when he took the Buffalo Bills to the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and earned his only Pro Bowl nod. Since then Tyrod’s numbers have regressed as he’s bounced around the league battling injuries. I’m not sure the Steelers would have a need for a good luck charm, but when he left his previous teams, it was because they drafted new rookie QBs: Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, and Justin Herbert. I’m sure Taylor can continue to be a serviceable QB, but if asked to be the starter, I fear T-Mobile’s service may be spotty…

Check back tomorrow to find out who the next 5 quarterbacks are, or if you’re impatient, listen to all 10 on the Steeler Nation Podcast here!

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

That looks like the band of the hand as who should retire club.

That is positively a horrible list of QBs. Jeez! Someone call me a doctor!

Sign Trubisky and roll with him for a year and in the meantime extend Minkah, maybe JuJu, and Edmunds too. Then sign quality OL,DL, CB, ILB. Draft OL,DL, Speed WR.
If Mitch stinks it up then we have a losing season and are in position to draft our QB next year. I don’t like losing but sometimes you have to give something up to get something good. Worked in 2004 draft.

The list coming out today is much better.

The list coming out today is much better.
I hope so Myron! This list is dreadful! I have a gut feeling about Trubisky that he can be good, not great mind you but good enough for us to win with strong running game and good defense.I just think the guy needs a second chance with a solid organization. His numbers in Chicago were not bad and I wonder how much of it was his lousy coach Nagy? The guy got them to the playoffs twice and was selected to a pro bowl. Why not sign him to an incentive heavy deal? Nothing to lose and everything to gain.