• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who is the Best Free Agent QB for the Steelers? (Part 2)

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Yesterday, we talked about the five oldest free agent quarterback possibilities for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Today we’re going to look at five younger choices. If you prefer podcasts/vidcasts, check out this link to the Steeler Nation Podcast where G.Stryker goes over all free agent options as only he can: with wit and humor.

*Each quarterback is listed with the number of games played in 2021. Starting record will be shown in parenthesis if they started any games. Touchdowns, Interceptions, Passing Yards, Fumbles, and if they are mobile, Rushing Yards, Rushing Touchdowns, and Rushing Fumbles will also be notated.

6) Jacoby Brissett Age 29, 11 Games (2-3), 5 TDs, 4 INTs, 1,283 Pass Yds, 1RTD, 6 Fumbles

Brissett known lovingly around the Steeler Nation writers room as Brisket, has some delicious qualities. He’s got prototypical QB size at 6’4” 235 lbs and was quite mobile earlier in his career. As he’s matured, his rushing numbers have dropped, but his completion position has improved. My concerns with Jacoby are he’s never played a full season, and he’s never had a winning record in his 6 year career. At this point, Brisket may be a little overcooked as an entrée, but could still be served as a fine backup with the right team ingredients.

7) Marcus Mariota Age 28, 9 Games, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 4 Pass Yds, 87 RYds, 1 RTD, 1 Fumble

Mariota is also the perfect size you want in a QB at 6’4” 222lbs. With over 1,500 yards rushing and 13 TDs rushing in his career, he’s an intriguing option as a mobile QB. The problem is he averaged a .500 record in Tennessee and he lost that job to Ryan Tannehill, who showed what a more capable quarterback can do with that talent. Mariota hasn’t started a game in two years and barely sees the field behind Derek Carr in Las Vegas. He wants to be the next Tannehill of this free agent class, the problem is with no meaningful snaps in two seasons, he is no Ryan Tannehill.

8) Teddy Bridgewater Age 29, 14 Games (7-7), 18 TDs, 7 INTs, 3,052 Pass Yds, 106 Rush Yds, 2 RTDs, 1 Fumble

We now get to the first true starting quarterback of this free agency. Bridgewater leads all of these QBs last year in Games Played, Wins, TDs, Yards Passing and INTs, but that’s because he started in seven more games than the next closest QB. He can move, but he’s not seen as a mobile QB. I do like how his efficiency is improving these past three years with 68%, 69%, & 67% completion percentages. The real wow factor for those numbers is he did it while starting for three different teams! Something is starting to click for Teddy as he is throwing over twice as many TDs than INTs. He also has a Pro Bowl playing for Minnesota, which makes four teams played for in his seven year career. I am worried about the concussions he took last year, ending his season and placing him on injured reserve. I think Bridgewater can be a successful starter in this league, however he may be typecast as his namesake and resolve to be another team’s ‘Bridge’ quarterback.

9) Jameis Winston Age 28, 7 Games (5-2), 14 TDs, 3 INTs, 1,170 Pass Yds, 166 Rush Yds, 1 RTDs, 2 Fumbles

Famous Jameis was enjoying a breakout season this past year. He had the Saints at 5-2 at the top of their division, and talking about being a Super Bowl team just before he was lost for the season with a severe knee injury. Winston is a big quarterback at 6’4” 231 lbs and mobile enough to extend plays while keeping his eyes downfield to make a big play. Out of all quarterbacks in their first five seasons, only one had more yardage than Winston, and that was Peyton Manning. Jameis is attached to the stigma that he is prone to turnovers, and I don’t understand it. Jameis had 12 less INTs than Manning in his first 5 years and unlike Manning, never had a season where he threw more INTs than TDs. This past year it looked like everything was coming together for Winston as he had three times more TDs than TOs. He was on the pace to become a mature top tier quarterback. I only hope his ‘crabby’ leg doesn’t stop him from clawing toward greatness.

10) Mitchell Trubisky Age 27, 6 Games, 0 TDs, 1 INTs, 43 Pass Yds, 24 Rush Yds, 1 RTDs, 0 Fumbles

I don’t know how you earn the nickname Mr. Biscuit, but Trubisky is the youngest in this group of free agent QB options. Entering his 6th season, Mitchell has made it to the Pro Bowl once and had a winning record during his four years in Chicago. I don’t understand why his agent allowed him to devalue himself with a $2.5M contract to backup Josh Allen in Buffalo. He had a solid TD to INT ratio and should have been a starter somewhere last season. Instead he didn’t receive any meaningful plays in Buffalo and his agent is trying to push for $25M+ from a QB that earned 1/10th that last season to ride the bench. Honestly I can see him earning $8-12M in an incentive laced contract under the proper conditions. If interest isn’t there and he returns to being a backup, this biscuit might find himself limp…

There you have it, Steeler Nation. Which of these 10 QBs do you want to see in a Steeler uniform next season? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

So in the end we are looking for that next bridge QB in FA, in house or draft.

Not much better, only one that I really like is Bridgewater...
You are the only person I have heard that wants Bridgewater. Are you trolling or do you really want the bum? I mean you might as well go with Rudy if you are going to bring that scrub in.

I will take Winston and gift him a crab leg or two.

You are the only person I have heard that wants Bridgewater. Are you trolling or do you really want the bum? I mean you might as well go with Rudy if you are going to bring that scrub in.

They are are all scrubs / Bums what ever you want to call it. Pick the bum you like.

Also the bum had a better season than Lamar and was just behind Russell Wilson... He had 95.0 passer rating and does not throw a ton of picks but whatever.

Yesterday, we talked about the five oldest free agent quarterback possibilities for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Today we’re going to look at five younger choices. If you prefer podcasts/vidcasts, check out this link to the Steeler Nation Podcast where G.Stryker goes over all free agent options as only he can: with wit and humor.

*Each quarterback is listed with the number of games played in 2021. Starting record will be shown in parenthesis if they started any games. Touchdowns, Interceptions, Passing Yards, Fumbles, and if they are mobile, Rushing Yards, Rushing Touchdowns, and Rushing Fumbles will also be notated.

6) Jacoby Brissett Age 29, 11 Games (2-3), 5 TDs, 4 INTs, 1,283 Pass Yds, 1RTD, 6 Fumbles

Brissett known lovingly around the Steeler Nation writers room as Brisket, has some delicious qualities. He’s got prototypical QB size at 6’4” 235 lbs and was quite mobile earlier in his career. As he’s matured, his rushing numbers have dropped, but his completion position has improved. My concerns with Jacoby are he’s never played a full season, and he’s never had a winning record in his 6 year career. At this point, Brisket may be a little overcooked as an entrée, but could still be served as a fine backup with the right team ingredients.

7) Marcus Mariota Age 28, 9 Games, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 4 Pass Yds, 87 RYds, 1 RTD, 1 Fumble

Mariota is also the perfect size you want in a QB at 6’4” 222lbs. With over 1,500 yards rushing and 13 TDs rushing in his career, he’s an intriguing option as a mobile QB. The problem is he averaged a .500 record in Tennessee and he lost that job to Ryan Tannehill, who showed what a more capable quarterback can do with that talent. Mariota hasn’t started a game in two years and barely sees the field behind Derek Carr in Las Vegas. He wants to be the next Tannehill of this free agent class, the problem is with no meaningful snaps in two seasons, he is no Ryan Tannehill.

8) Teddy Bridgewater Age 29, 14 Games (7-7), 18 TDs, 7 INTs, 3,052 Pass Yds, 106 Rush Yds, 2 RTDs, 1 Fumble

We now get to the first true starting quarterback of this free agency. Bridgewater leads all of these QBs last year in Games Played, Wins, TDs, Yards Passing and INTs, but that’s because he started in seven more games than the next closest QB. He can move, but he’s not seen as a mobile QB. I do like how his efficiency is improving these past three years with 68%, 69%, & 67% completion percentages. The real wow factor for those numbers is he did it while starting for three different teams! Something is starting to click for Teddy as he is throwing over twice as many TDs than INTs. He also has a Pro Bowl playing for Minnesota, which makes four teams played for in his seven year career. I am worried about the concussions he took last year, ending his season and placing him on injured reserve. I think Bridgewater can be a successful starter in this league, however he may be typecast as his namesake and resolve to be another team’s ‘Bridge’ quarterback.

9) Jameis Winston Age 28, 7 Games (5-2), 14 TDs, 3 INTs, 1,170 Pass Yds, 166 Rush Yds, 1 RTDs, 2 Fumbles

Famous Jameis was enjoying a breakout season this past year. He had the Saints at 5-2 at the top of their division, and talking about being a Super Bowl team just before he was lost for the season with a severe knee injury. Winston is a big quarterback at 6’4” 231 lbs and mobile enough to extend plays while keeping his eyes downfield to make a big play. Out of all quarterbacks in their first five seasons, only one had more yardage than Winston, and that was Peyton Manning. Jameis is attached to the stigma that he is prone to turnovers, and I don’t understand it. Jameis had 12 less INTs than Manning in his first 5 years and unlike Manning, never had a season where he threw more INTs than TDs. This past year it looked like everything was coming together for Winston as he had three times more TDs than TOs. He was on the pace to become a mature top tier quarterback. I only hope his ‘crabby’ leg doesn’t stop him from clawing toward greatness.

10) Mitchell Trubisky Age 27, 6 Games, 0 TDs, 1 INTs, 43 Pass Yds, 24 Rush Yds, 1 RTDs, 0 Fumbles

I don’t know how you earn the nickname Mr. Biscuit, but Trubisky is the youngest in this group of free agent QB options. Entering his 6th season, Mitchell has made it to the Pro Bowl once and had a winning record during his four years in Chicago. I don’t understand why his agent allowed him to devalue himself with a $2.5M contract to backup Josh Allen in Buffalo. He had a solid TD to INT ratio and should have been a starter somewhere last season. Instead he didn’t receive any meaningful plays in Buffalo and his agent is trying to push for $25M+ from a QB that earned 1/10th that last season to ride the bench. Honestly I can see him earning $8-12M in an incentive laced contract under the proper conditions. If interest isn’t there and he returns to being a backup, this biscuit might find himself limp…

There you have it, Steeler Nation. Which of these 10 QBs do you want to see in a Steeler uniform next season? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
Out of these QB I would take Jamies Winston!!

Bridge is the only FA QB that played an entire season as the starter. He's the least questionable option for can one of these QBs run a team? Bridge has prooved he can.

I have concerns about all of them, but I like 3.
1. Winston - but his leg?
2. Bridge - But his concussions?
3. Trubisky - But can he still play?

That's it. Mariota is fools gold and Briskett is burned...

So if we pick up a FA QB, I hope to hell we don't draft a QB and this is our bridge season. Otherwise we take a guy who is a borderline high ceiling QB like we did with Malone, that made it so we didn't draft Marino, becasue 'we already had a QB'...

Bridge is the only FA QB that played an entire season as the starter. He's the least questionable option for can one of these QBs run a team? Bridge has prooved he can.

I have concerns about all of them, but I like 3.
1. Winston - but his leg?
2. Bridge - But his concussions?
3. Trubisky - But can he still play?

That's it. Mariota is fools gold and Briskett is burned...

So if we pick up a FA QB, I hope to hell we don't draft a QB and this is our bridge season. Otherwise we take a guy who is a borderline high ceiling QB like we did with Malone, that made it so we didn't draft Marino, becasue 'we already had a QB'...
I would move Trib up to at least two. Just because Bridge played an entire season doesn't make him a good option. I am not sure he even upgrades what the Steelers currently have. Trib and Winston for me easily better options. Not that Trib doesn't come with questions. I go Winston or trade for a QB. I want an upgrade at the position. A clear one.

I would move Trib up to at least two. Just because Bridge played an entire season doesn't make him a good option. I am not sure he even upgrades what the Steelers currently have. Trib and Winston for me easily better options. Not that Trib doesn't come with questions. I go Winston or trade for a QB. I want an upgrade at the position. A clear one.
No one on that list is an clear upgrade...

No one on that list is an clear upgrade...
You didn't see Winston play last year then. He was having a solid season before the injury. I will have to disagree completely with you here.

Last edited:
I'm in on Trubisky but not at the contract his agent is said to be pursuing. Far to much money for a QB that will be given a second chance but if the contract number could be reduced and yes, incentive laden, hell yes sign Mitch.

If we don't get Trubisky I'd be ok with Mariota. Of course he seems to be injury prone and don't think his play was as good as Trubiskys' but I'd be ok with him but really want Trubisky.

Jacoby and Teddy are just guys, nothing special that have reached their peak. Not worth the money.

Winston coming off injury is a concern plus the 30 interception season still haunts me.

You didn't see Winston play last year and then. He was having a solid season before the injury. I will have to disagree completely with you here.
His TD to INT ration is horrible.... But if that is good with you yes we can disagree. I would personally like a QB that takes care of the football.

His TD to INT ration is horrible.... But if that is good with you yes we can disagree. I would personally like a QB that takes care of the football.
That wasn't his problem last year. 14 TDs to 3INTs. So yeah that is good with me. You are referring to the Winston of three seasons ago...

A lot better than your boys Bridgewater's TD to Int total the last two seasons.

That wasn't his problem last year. 14 TDs to 3INTs. So yeah that is good with me. You are referring to the Winston of three seasons ago...

A lot better than your boys Bridgewater's TD to Int total the last two seasons.
If you want to ignore his history of throwing a lot of INT's that is fine... You say some stupid ****, Bridgewater is not my BOY he is like all these other QB's that are not great in free agency that we could to bring in to replace our not great QB Mason... I mentioned his name and your panties wadded up. Relax, they are all not good even your boy Trubisky...

If you want to ignore his history of throwing a lot of INT's that is fine... You say some stupid ****, Bridgewater is not my BOY he is like all these other QB's that are not great in free agency that we could to bring in to replace our not great QB Mason... I mentioned his name and your panties wadded up. Relax, they are all not good even your boy Trubisky...
I say stupid ****? I showed you statistically TD to int ratio that he is better currently than the QB you are touting. Up to this point the debate has been cordial. But if we want to talk stupid.... My panties are in a wad or is it I called you on your dumb **** and now you want to step it up a level to insults as your debate wasn't supported by facts ********.

Also it has been discussed in other threads that he had eye surgery so maybe his vision impacted you know **** that happened three years and beyond.

You obviously are one of those posters that hate to be wrong. Get over it, everyone is here and there. Your here is now, own it.

Last edited:
I say stupid ****? I showed you statistically TD to int ratio that he is better currently than the QB you are touting. Up to this point the debate has been cordial. But if we want to talk stupid.... My panties are in a wad or is it I called you on your dumb **** and now you want to step it up a level to insults as your debate wasn't supported by facts ********.

Also it has been discussed in other threads that he had eye surgery so maybe his vision impacted you know **** that happened three years and beyond.

You obviously are one of those posters that hate to be wrong. Get over it, everyone is here and there. You here is now, own it.
Look Winston throws a **** ton of interceptions, I'm not so stupid to look at one season... If you want to ignore all of his other **** seasons that is fine, I really don't give a ****. I am giving my opinion that carries as much weight as yours... LOL FACT Winston throws way to many interceptions, FACT all of these FA QB are not good. There is no right or wrong they all are plain and simple place holders on a football team.

Look Winston throws a **** ton of interceptions, I'm not so stupid to look at one season... If you want to ignore all of his other **** seasons that is fine, I really don't give a ****. I am giving my opinion that carries as much weight as yours... LOL FACT Winston throws way to many interceptions, FACT all of these FA QB are not good. There is no right or wrong they all are plain and simple place holders on a football team.
Fact is last season doesn't support your drivel. You are ignoring there here and now with your assessment. L O ******* L (see I can do that too)

Sure there is a wrong there is wrong choices and skewed opinions. Like yours.

Your opinion is equal to mine but when you throw out **** not supported by facts and ignore factual comments that is when it leans you know not in your direction.

If you would like to have a bet on which QB mentioned has a better season we can go there. Seeing how you are so hell bent on Bridgewater over Winston. You know that QB that last two years has ****** TD to INT ratio. Two years in a row. Let's ignore that though right?

Fact is last season doesn't support your drivel. You are ignoring there here and now with your assessment. L O ******* L (see I can do that too)

Sure there is a wrong there is wrong choices and skewed opinions. Like yours.

Your opinion is equal to mine but when you throw out **** not supported by facts and ignore factual comments that is when it leans you know not in your direction.

If you would like to have a bet on which QB mentioned has a better season we can go there. Seeing how you are so hell bent on Bridgewater over Winston. You know that QB that last two years has ****** TD to INT ratio. Two years in a row. Let's ignore that though right?
I looked at every season, more of his seasons support the fact that he throws a **** ton of interceptions. I never said I ignored that season.
I'm not hell bent on anyone I see no reason to bring in any of the crap FA QB's... Again they are ALL BAD.

I looked at every season, more of his seasons support the fact that he throws a **** ton of interceptions. I never said I ignored that season.
I'm not hell bent on anyone I see no reason to bring in any of the crap FA QB's... Again they are ALL BAD.
And I am saying Winston's last seasons performance doesn't support that he is a bad QB. Exactly the opposite.

I've been on the Famous Jamis wagon for awhile now. Is he the answer, probably not but would more likely than not be an upgrade to what we've currently got. Training Camp would sort that out.

With WATT our "D" will look like I think Jamis can get us those 20-30 points to win the game. If he gets ahead, the play calling will be more consevative and thus protect him & the ball a little better.

I also think his better vision will help a lot, it has too.

Salute the nation

And I am saying Winston's last seasons performance doesn't support that he is a bad QB. Exactly the opposite.
I'm not just using last season... I'm using his career trends.
Whatever this staff does is on them, I'm a fan and will cheerer for whoever we trot out in black & gold. I just don't want stupid money being spent on subpar players that are just there until we find that guy when we already have that subpar player.

Again why does Winston get called turnover prone in his first 5 years, yet Peyton Manning wasn't? Winston is 2nd in yardage in first 5 years of all NFL QBs ever, except Manning. Manning had 12 more interceptions, and unlike Manning, Winston never had a season when he threw more INTs than TDs.

If you guys can get your biases out of your own heads; You'll see a QB with excellent arm strength and good accuracy, who last year was starting to read defenses pretty well. You don't go from a 1.6 TD/INT ratio to 4.6 without improvement in QB play.