• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why the Steelers Shouldn’t Care if Mitch Trubisky is a Top 10 AFC QB or Not

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers‘ signing of Mitch Trubisky on an essentially “prove it” deal has been met with a mix of wild-eyed enthusiasm, and cautious optimism from Steeler Nation. I root hard for whoever is on the field in Black and Gold. Good things will always happen, no game is out of reach and Pittsburgh will find a way.

I was elated my junior year in high school in 1984 when Mark Malone found a way to beat the Los Angeles Raiders in the final game of the season to make the playoffs at 9-7 and I was convinced we would win the Super Bowl when we came from behind against Denver in the divisional round to win 24-17. Ultimately, I was crushed when Dan Marino thumped us a week later and remember actively rooting for San Francisco to beat the Miami Dolphins, which they did because only my beloved Steelers could beat the 1984-85 49ers.

A cast of rotating characters became either scrappy underdog heroes like Bubby Brister or Tommy Maddox who fall into this category. Tragic figures who seemed like they would lead the Steelers on the elusive drive for five like Neil O’Donnell and Kordell Stewart, occupy this space, but fell short. Truly awful performers who we rationalized away as they couldn’t possibly do worse the next week like Kent Graham and Mike Tomczak, leap to mind, but they weren’t the only ones. Which brings us full circle back to Mr. Trubisky. I certainly hope that he becomes our third elite quarterback in the Super Bowl era, but I would certainly settle for scrappy underdog hero. However, in the most optimistic version of ranking the AFC quarterbacks I can muster, Mitch Trubisky is ranked 14th among AFC quarterbacks. See the chart below:

2022 AFC QB Rankings
1Pat Mahomes5Justin Herbert9Ryan Tannehill13Zach Wilson
2Josh Allen6Deshaun Watson10Matt Ryan14Mitch Trubisky
3Joe Burrow7Lamar Jackson11Trevor Lawrence15Tua Tagovailoa
4Russell Wilson8Derek Carr12Mac Jones16Davis Mills

This is my opinion of course, and you could certainly disagree on the order of 11-14, but the quarterbacks immediately ahead of Trubisky, all rookies showed flashes in 2021 that they will be solid starters. While Trubisky could outperform them, initially I just can’t put him ahead of them. The good news is that being 14th in the AFC still puts him in the top 18-20 quarterbacks in the league as outside of Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Matt Stafford, the NFC has a lot of questions at the QB position. It also is possible with all this exceptional QB play that we do not see any team runaway and hide with 12-13 wins.

Parity is the Steelers friend in 2022. The Steelers formula this season should be ball control with an improved running game and a return to smash mouth defense that centers around stopping the run. The miserable run defense in 2021 will be tested early and often in 2022 and if the Myles Jack addition and return of Tyson Alualu and Stephon Tuitt restore the once vaunted run defense to a top 10 unit, the lower end of the current crop of AFC quarterbacks is not the death sentence it was in seasons prior. If all of the AFC is beating each other causing a glut of 10-7 and 9-8 teams, the Steelers could follow the Tennessee Titans formula over the last couple of years by becoming what these high-flying offenses hate to face. Physical run first offenses that can beat you over the top with big plays when you put 8 in the box. The Titans have Derrick Henry, a big strong Alabama product who has been the best back in football recently and an extremely physical defense. The Steelers have Najee Harris, another big strong Alabama product who with a little help from a revamped line, will be among the best backs in football in 2022, and if all goes as planned, an extremely physical defense.

That formula paired with Mitch Trubisky throwing 25-30 times per game with 1-2 big plays in the passing game every week may not put him in the top 10 of a gifted AFC quarterback arms race, but it could have the Steelers winning 10-11 games and finishing in the top 7 of the AFC playoff race. That race is all that Steelers fans really care about.

What do you think, Steeler Nation? Optimistic, myopic or just plain loco? Please comment below or follow me on Twitter or Instagram @thebubbasq.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

1. Mark Malone never beat anyone. The worst QB in Steelers history.
2. O’Donnell & Kordell—There was little to no margin for error & both were unable to make the plays when it mattered to secure stacked teams with a Super Bowl. They were more likely to turn it over, and both did, costing Steelers legit championship runs.
3. Bubby Brister was awful.
4. Tommy Maddox was a 20 yard perfectly thrown drop to Burress from putting Steelers in 2002 AFCCG. He threw INTs but at least could make big plays and great throws when hot.

But it wasn’t until Ben could make plays off-script, to beat a perfectly defended play & had the ability to make plays in clutch when game was in balance.

Ben lit the Bengals up in 2005, particularly in 2nd half. It was on his arm that put them up 14-0 vs. Colts & he played through the hit on elbow that limited him in 2nd half, made the greatest tackle by a QB ever.

The TD to Ward at end of half vs. Denver that put Steelers up 24-3, perfect placement. In Super Bowl XL, 3rd and 23, he rolled out but kept looking downfield and found Ward for the 1st & goal. The block on the reverse TD to Ward & when running it out, he took broken play and sealed it with first down.

No—Steelers aren’t going anywhere with “okay” QB play. Especially in this era. If Mitch can’t get it done, you move on.

Based on what we've seen from these QBs...

11. Jones
12. Trubisky
13. Tua
14. Mills
15. Lawrence
16. Wilson

Lololololololololololol!
With the rules biased so heavily towards offense QB play means more than ever.

I will reserve judgement on Trubisky. Odds aren't great on a reclamation project. However, if it was just a confidence restored thing he could be in the top half. The Steelers were fortunate to be in the playoffs but let's remember he isn't replacing 2010 Ben. There isn't one of these guys in the draft with a higher draft grade then when Trubisky was drafted.

1. Mark Malone never beat anyone. The worst QB in Steelers history.

He beat John Elway in the 1984 playoffs, on the road. Not only that, he outplayed Elway. Malone: 17-28, 224 yds, TD, 0 interceptions. Elway: 19-37, 184 yds, 2 TD, 2 int.

No—Steelers aren’t going anywhere with “okay” QB play. Especially in this era. If Mitch can’t get it done, you move on.

That is a fact. How many times do we see a game decided in the 4th quarter as a shoot-out between the 2 QB's? How many times do we see the game put in the QB's hand, where he has to lead a drive to win the game? Yeah, a lot. Having an elite QB gives the team a guy who can make those drives or convert those 3rd downs to keep the ball from the opposition.

He beat John Elway in the 1984 playoffs, on the road. Not only that, he outplayed Elway. Malone: 17-28, 224 yds, TD, 0 interceptions. Elway: 19-37, 184 yds, 2 TD, 2 int.

That is a fact. How many times do we see a game decided in the 4th quarter as a shoot-out between the 2 QB's? How many times do we see the game put in the QB's hand, where he has to lead a drive to win the game? Yeah, a lot. Having an elite QB gives the team a guy who can make those drives or convert those 3rd downs to keep the ball from the opposition.
Not to sure about that one. Is Jimmy Garopolo elite? Did anyone think of Stafford as elite before this season. How did MVP Rogers fair? You definitely need high quality play from the Q but it's best team that wind.

Not to sure about that one. Is Jimmy Garopolo elite? Did anyone think of Stafford as elite before this season. How did MVP Rogers fair? You definitely need high quality play from the Q but it's best team that wind.

I was simply replying to FSF's comment that Malone "never beat anybody." Malone had more issues than a Kardashian and his two 2nd quarter interceptions in the 1984 AFC Championship game with the score just 10-7 Dolphins killed the team. However, he played a really good game in Denver and outplayed Elway, who was absolutely brutalized by the Steelers defense.

The game against the Dolphins was Jack Lambert's last playoff game.

I was simply replying to FSF's comment that Malone "never beat anybody." Malone had more issues than a Kardashian and his two 2nd quarter interceptions in the 1984 AFC Championship game with the score just 10-7 Dolphins killed the team. However, he played a really good game in Denver and outplayed Elway, who was absolutely brutalized by the Steelers defense.

The game against the Dolphins was Jack Lambert's last playoff game.
I understand. I'm more talking about the idea that they need elite play from the Q to be very successful. Now I would say history says you need elite play from the Q to win a championship most of the time. But I think they could easily be Titans successful next year and the book on Trubisky is not totally written.

Crediting Mark Malone for anything after the nightmare of QB play we were forced to endure with him for 4 years — no, I can’t!

Crediting Mark Malone for anything after the nightmare of QB play we were forced to endure with him for 4 years — no, I can’t!
I said it before, I'll say it again.

Every swear word I learned was due to my dad watching Malone run the Steeler offense...

Rag on Malone but remember, if Noll does not use him at WR, where he winds up wrecking his knee in a preseason game in his first year, his career is very different. Dude could move before that injury.

I'm thankful we had a total of about 9 channels at that time. 3 from Detroit. I could see roughly 4 or less games per year.

To your point, we didn't get real far in the past with better QB's than we have now and (much) better defenses than we have now.
Average QB play with an average or below average defense is not a recipe for success. T.J. Watt ties the single-season sack record last year yet somehow our pass defense finishes 14th (and run defense was dead last}.

To your point, we didn't get real far in the past with better QB's than we have now and (much) better defenses than we have now.
Average QB play with an average or below average defense is not a recipe for success. T.J. Watt ties the single-season sack record last year yet somehow our pass defense finishes 14th (and run defense was dead last}.
Well the A and B Gap was as bad as I've seen ever. And if Devin Bush isn't significantly better or replaced they are fugged no matter what fancy FA moves they made. He was horrific in run defense.

This is my opinion of course, and you could certainly disagree on the order of 11-14, but the quarterbacks immediately ahead of Trubisky, all rookies showed flashes in 2021 that they will be solid starters. While Trubisky could outperform them, initially I just can’t put him ahead of them. The good news is that being 14th in the AFC still puts him in the top 18-20 quarterbacks in the league as outside of Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Matt Stafford, the NFC has a lot of questions at the QB position. It also is possible with all this exceptional QB play that we do not see any team runaway and hide with 12-13 wins.
Yeah, I certainly disagree.

Zach Wilson was absolutely horrendous last year. What "flashes" of being a solid starter did he show, while finishing #33 out of 33 qualified quarterbacks with a 69.7 passer rating? Trevor Lawrence wasn't much better, #31 with 71.9.

Trubisky's rating was 93.5 as a starter with the Bears in 2020. Give the guy some credit.

Also, Ryan and Tannehill were both below average last year, and are on the decline. They're not top ten AFC quarterbacks, either.

A-N-D

How many playoff games did we win last season ?

We've had elite QB play for the past 11 years + but how many playoff games have we won in that time? QB play definitely can be a big factor but it must be paired with a great defense as well.

Coaching plays as big a part of winning playoff games as the play of the QB. Poor coaching has cost us many times.

Salute the nation

And if you don’t have the QB play, you don’t even get that far. Rules changes have made it an offensive heavy game now

A-N-D

We've had elite QB play for the past 11 years + but how many playoff games have we won in that time? QB play definitely can be a big factor but it must be paired with a great defense as well.

Coaching plays as big a part of winning playoff games as the play of the QB. Poor coaching has cost us many times.

Salute the nation
Yeah, and in last 11 years, be honest about our defense as a whole. But especially in secondary

Losing out 1000 yard RB in the final regular season game in 2011, 2014, 2015 didn’t help

Yeah, and in last 11 years, be honest about our defense as a whole. But especially in secondary

Losing out 1000 yard RB in the final regular season game in 2011, 2014, 2015 didn’t help

I hear yaz FSF but was also pointing out coaching needing to be involved as well.

Playoff wins can't be set on only one player / one side of the ball / coaching as it takes a combinaion of all three. yes any of the one can help cover for a weakness of another but if any two are deficient the odds are falling fastly, especialy in the playoffs where everything is magnified.

Salute the nation

Rag on Malone but remember, if Noll does not use him at WR, where he winds up wrecking his knee in a preseason game in his first year, his career is very different. Dude could move before that injury.
Unless his knee also destroyed his arm, there is no defense for Malone

Ben was very far from elite last year. Trust me if he himself felt like he could still really do what he wanted, there is no way he would retire. The deep ball consisted mostly of back shoulder fade jump balls. They were somewhere between the 12- 16 best team last year as they were extremely fortunate to get in the playoffs. If they can legit block for Harris next year and seal off the inside runs they will be a top ten team. How for up the top 10 will depend on the play from the Q.

Unless his knee also destroyed his arm, there is no defense for Malone

His wrecked knee, operated on at the end of his rookie season before the advent of modern orthopedic surgery, had no effect on his throwing?

HelpfulAcademicAmericanriverotter-max-1mb.gif

His wrecked knee, operated on at the end of his rookie season before the advent of modern orthopedic surgery, had no effect on his throwing?

HelpfulAcademicAmericanriverotter-max-1mb.gif
Did you watch him play?

A-N-D

Salute the nation
And if you don’t have the QB play, you don’t even get that far. Rules changes have made it an offensive heavy game now
And as we've seen, it doesn't matter if your offense scores 42 points in a playoff game when your opponent scores 48.