• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Antonio Brown Opens Up About Playing Behind Hines Ward in 2010: “Hurry up and get out the way”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Friday, former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver, Antonio Brown joined the Cigar Talk podcast and opened up about playing behind Hall of Famer Hines Ward back in 2010, being a late round (sixth) draft pick, and what it was like receiving his first big pay day in the NFL.

Being the 195th overall draft pick just over a decade ago, Brown was grateful for being drafted where he was as opposed to possibly being taken higher.

“Nothing is given. You have to work for every thing you have. I’m actually grateful for going late in the draft because it allowed me to be disciplined in regards to some of the other guys getting opportunities early, getting a lot of money early. But I don’t regret nothin’ from my situation and how it happened. In life, you got to make the most of your situation, and not make excuses, and be able to overcome adversity. I think going late-round kept me hungry to keep goal driven, to stay motivated, and accomplish my goals.”

When it came to playing behind arguably the best Steelers receiver of all-time in Ward, Brown knew that it was just a matter of time before he would take the spotlight.

“I’m trying to tell him, ‘Hurry up and get out the way [laughs].’ I’m trying to pave my own time. But just grateful to be around him and learn the intangibles of what made him great. But you know, when you in the NFL, it’s time to pave your own way, set your own principles. You know what I mean? At that point — Hines Ward was not the same guy I looked at in college … It’s my time, I’m going to take his spot. Like he need to be on the bench and watching me play.”
Antonio Brown Hines Ward

Former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, left, meets with Antonio Brown before an NFL football game against the Indianapolis Colts, Sunday, Dec. 6, 2015, in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Don Wright)

When asked about his role as a backup receiver early on in his career, Brown talked about how he just needed to focus on the opportunities that were given to him.

“You got to know your role. First off in life, you got to know who you are and what situation you in. You know, I understand as a sixth round pick, I ain’t going to get a chance to be a starter right away at receiver. So I have to make the most of my opportunities on special teams — punt return, kick return, whatever I had to do for the team to carve out my role. …I knew I probably wasn’t going to play as much as I wanted to, but that’s a part of the journey. It’s not about short-term, it’s about the long-term. Eventually when I get my chance, I just understood that you got to take advantage and you got to own the moment, because it’s not a long time, but you got to make the time worth it.”

Antonio Brown, the franchise player​

When it was finally time for Brown to be “the man” in Pittsburgh, he was ready, and just wanted to represent his brand the best way he knew how.

“To much is given, much is tested and required. It’s a lot of responsibility. You just got to set the standard in whatever you represent. For me, it was representing ‘Business is Boomin” in regards of taking care of my business on the field, I was being in shape, I was being able to be a player at a high level. And I was just being a good example of the way I went to work for guys that worked around me. So, you know it comes with a lot of responsibility, comes with a lot of discipline you got to have for the team to have success. And you got to want to embrace it.”

Love him or hate him, Brown has done it his way from the jump. Watch the full clip here.

Thoughts on Browns’ comments? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Both in their prime...you get to pick one.... I pick Hines.
I’ll take Hines. All day, every day. Hines (even though he did hold out) played 100% on every down he was on the field. Even if he was a blocker or not the primary receiver- he put his team and winning first. He didn’t care about his brand

I’ll take Hines. All day, every day. Hines (even though he did hold out) played 100% on every down he was on the field. Even if he was a blocker or not the primary receiver- he put his team and winning first. He didn’t care about his brand

Well said. I agree.

During a recent appearance on the Cigar Talk podcast, Antonio Brown shared his thoughts on Colin Kaepernick’s quest to return to the NFL.

Aside from calling Kaepernick a “trash” quarterback, Brown claimed that people don’t feel sorry for the former San Francisco 49er getting shunned by the NFL because Kapernick accepted a settlement to end his lawsuit against the league.

“They gave him the money and they gave him a commercial, they gave him the documentary,” Brown said. “He took a deal. We don’t feel sorry for you. You took the deal. **** outta here. Oh, Kaepernick. Man, you on ******* Nike, man. **** outta here.”

Brown went on to question Kaepernick’s charitable contributions, before blasting the former quarterback for not being “from the hood.”

“He don’t wanna play, man,” AB said. “He was trash, everything. . . . Kaepernick did all that and took the money and then got the commercial. We don’t see Kaepernick outside. Where he at? I ain’t never seem him outside. . . . All that’s cap.”

Brown continued, “We ain’t respecting that, bro. You took the money, the commercials. We don’t see you outside. We don’t see him in the hood. He don’t do nothing. Like, we cool. But nah we ain’t even stan Kaepernick. He not even from the hood. You don’t even been in the trenches.”

“We like Kaepernick and all, but we ain’t really on that,” he added. “As Black people we need to get that clear. . . . He took the handout, so he got to take the mayor out and, like, take responsibility for that.”

Michael Thomas also chimed in, saying Brown isn’t “wrong.”
Back in January, the Tampa Bay Bucs parted ways with Brown after he walked off the field during the team’s Week 18 game against the Jets. Weeks later, the former All-Pro wide receiver sat down with Complex for a wide-ranging conversation, where he maintained that he hasn’t ruled out a return to the NFL.

“I’m a football player, man. I’m a professional athlete. Let’s not get that twisted. That’s my main thing,” he said, adding that he’s already been in contact with some organizations. “A couple teams called.”

As for Kaepernick, the former quarterback, who was released by the San Francisco 49ers one year after taking a knee during the U.S. national anthem in 2016 to protest racial injustice, hasn’t shied away from his aspirations to play again.
In March, Kaepernick once again teased his long-awaited return to the NFL by posting clips of himself training with Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Tyler Lockett.

Bob stop posting dumb a$$ sh!t nobody cares about. Take your AB doll you play with and keep that bizarre sh!t in your bedroom where it belongs, butternut weirdo.

6f89xx.gif

Let's see Hines=2 Superbowls, 1 SB MVP

AB=0

I'll take Ward, even though AB may be one of the best to ever do it. Ward did everything you'd ask

Let's see Hines=2 Superbowls, 1 SB MVP

AB=0

I'll take Ward, even though AB may be one of the best to ever do it. Ward did everything you'd ask
well he does have 1

Hines

I take Hines Ward because the players of his era had comon cents and cared (sorry bold)

Hines wasn't a locker room cancer. Wasn't continously running wrong routes or bitching BEN to death about targets.

AB open field kicked a player in the face on purpose and quit on his team with PO implications at stake.

Hines Ward SBMVP, something AB will never acheive.

Salute the nation

So is Ballz bob or we just speculating?
He’s a good sport. A little creepy that he likes to ask guys to go on dates and play <insert song here> and meet up for <insert beer here>

His trolling sucks. Needs work.

Hines

I take Hines Ward because the players of his era had comon cents and cared (sorry bold)

Hines wasn't a locker room cancer. Wasn't continously running wrong routes or bitching BEN to death about targets.

AB open field kicked a player in the face on purpose and quit on his team with PO implications at stake.

Hines Ward SBMVP, something AB will never acheive.

Salute the nation
Comon cents?

Yes that is like when Bob tells the sense to come on but it never shows up. Causing him to lose job and cents because well he stupid.

Sigh kids these days.
Comon cents?

• Haha
Reactions: MTC
Comon cents?

We have a chain store gas station here in my home town and it's spelled Common Cents. My brother came home to visit, hadn't been here in 15 years. He and I were driving around showing him the changes here. He lived in SC and we went by common cents. He says hey this new here and I replied " you don't have Comon Cents in the south and he replied NO we don't.................................. I started laughing a lot and he got it, kind of a special laugh and joke so at times I spell it that way.

This was about 20 nyears ago.

Salute the nation

^^^^^^^^
Falco is spot on absolute here. Hines got more satisfaction stoning someone on a block than scoring a TD. There are several highlights of Hines destroying a DB or LB on a play and he just screams with exclamation over it.