• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Baker Mayfield

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Was at bar having post-game drinks. Must have been nfl network replaying Bucs Lions. DC (Cowboys Fan) on our team says you know. Mayfield would have been a great Steelers qb. He's tough, fiery and imperfectly perfect. And you know he's right. With a good defense he'd give you a punchers chance in any game.He couod be ****** or best player on the field. That was a miss.

I thought Browns finally found their guy when they drafted him....... then they bailed on him.

Was at bar having post-game drinks. Must have been nfl network replaying Bucs Lions. DC (Cowboys Fan) on our team says you know. Mayfield would have been a great Steelers qb. He's tough, fiery and imperfectly perfect. And you know he's right. With a good defense he'd give you a punchers chance in any game.He couod be ****** or best player on the field. That was a miss.
Yep, another QB who escaped a bag organization (he had to do it twice).

He was done dirty by the Stains strutting him out there with a bum arm/shoulder and then thrown under the bus after playing injured for them.

Was never a fan of his personality, but I’d have gotten over that if he was here and winning.

Baker had massive issues with the Browns people dont typically see... he led the league or was in the top few players every season in throwing into coverage... because of it he was prone to terrible interceptions at the worse times...

He needed more development that the Browns were too impatient to do...

People have to learn that not every QB will figure things out on a rookie contract... some need longer

I thought Browns finally found their guy when they drafted him....... then they bailed on him.
This. 10000%.

Was he the highest of crops? No, but …who knows. They dropped him when he got hurt but still but still led them fairer than been in a long time.

They ****** up imo and had someone that could have built around.

Cleveland ruins just about everything it touches. Good for him he got out.

He's certainly matured.

Some of his commercials were funny, over played, but funny.

I’m glad he got out of the ****-hole place too. He seems like a good guy and plays hard.

Salute the nation

Some of his commercials were funny, over played, but funny.

I’m glad he got out of the ****-hole place too. He seems like a good guy and plays hard.

Salute the nation
Baker can be a bit much at times, but he's a good football player and a QB you'd probably love if he was on your team.

Baker would have been a great pick up, but our decision makers seem to prefer the Bears' throwaways.

I watched him play in college. Cleveland destroys most QB's and has done so since re-entering the league. It's fun watching him down here in Tampa. My wife is a huge Baker fan.

Baker would have been a great pick up, but our decision makers seem to prefer the Bears' throwaways.
Suggestion, when somebody has pissed in your Wheaties, don't eat them. You'll be happier!

I watched him play in college. Cleveland destroys most QB's and has done so since re-entering the league. It's fun watching him down here in Tampa. My wife is a huge Baker fan.

In fairness, I think a lot of the QBs the Browns have taken in the first round were not going to develop regardless of who drafted them. Manziel, Brady Quinn and Brandon Weedon were desperation/reach picks.

Given how he is playing with the Bucs, the Browns definitely seemed to **** the bed in their handling of Mayfield, and I thought Tim Couch was better than he was given credit for, as he could have been something in a different situation I believe.

Couch had some good games against the Steelers, but generally took a beating with the Browns and injuries prevented him from catching on anywhere else.

Mayfield's performance with the Bucs seems to give Steelers fans hope for Fields with the Steelers, due to the Bears generally being as much a QB graveyard as the Browns have been, but despite Mayfield's struggles with the Browns, he showed a lot more with them than Fields did with the Bears.

Honestly, Fields has looked better than I expected him to through two games, but the consistency and point production as yet to be there, as he averaged a lofty 2 yards per pass during the second half in Denver.

Mayfield's performance with the Bucs seems to give Steelers fans hope for Fields with the Steelers, due to the Bears generally being as much a QB graveyard as the Browns have been, but despite Mayfield's struggles with the Browns, he showed a lot more with them than Fields did with the Bears.
I think most non-Steelers fans would view us as a franchise where QBs come to die.

Baker was actually a good QB. We took Fields because he was cheap and that's our battle cry. Big difference.

Last edited:
In fairness, I think a lot of the QBs the Browns have taken in the first round were not going to develop regardless of who drafted them. Manziel, Brady Quinn and Brandon Weedon were desperation/reach picks.

Given how he is playing with the Bucs, the Browns definitely seemed to **** the bed in their handling of Mayfield, and I thought Tim Couch was better than he was given credit for, as he could have been something in a different situation I believe.

Couch had some good games against the Steelers, but generally took a beating with the Browns and injuries prevented him from catching on anywhere else.

Honestly, Fields has looked better than I expected him to through two games, but the consistency and point production as yet to be there, as he averaged a lofty 2 yards per pass during the second half in Denver.
The only thing that worries me with Fields right now is the fumbled exchanges when he's under center or even in the gun. There have been 3 or 4 fumbles and at least one in both games so far. He and Frazier should be working extra on that every day. If they aren't doing it on their own, the coaches should be demanding it from them.

The only thing that worries me with Fields right now is the fumbled exchanges when he's under center or even in the gun. There have been 3 or 4 fumbles and at least one in both games so far. He and Frazier should be working extra on that every day. If they aren't doing it on their own, the coaches should be demanding it from them.
The fumbled exchanges worry me too. That, not being able to read a defense, not being able to score touchdowns, etc.. But I think Tomlin's plan is to have our defense step up to counteract these things, so we should be ok.

I think most non-Steelers fans would view us as a franchise where QBs come to die.

Baker was actually a good QB. We took Fields because he was cheap at that's our battle cry. Big difference.

Then most non-Steeler fans you know are probably in their 70’s. Considering, Ben retired four years ago and there was Maddox, Kordell, Tomczak and Brister before him (Kent Graham only started 5 games so he doesn’t count), so unless you are talking about the Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone years in the 80’s there is no one younger than 50 to have seen QBs “die” in PIT (sans Trubisky and Pickett which was probably due more to Matt Canada than the players).

Then most non-Steeler fans you know are probably in their 70’s. Considering, Ben retired four years ago and there was Maddox, Kordell, Tomczak and Brister before him (Kent Graham only started 5 games so he doesn’t count), so unless you are talking about the Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone years in the 80’s there is no one younger than 50 to have seen QBs “die” in PIT (sans Trubisky and Pickett which was probably due more to Matt Canada than the players).
I should have quantified that I'm referring to our modern day franchise and leadership, not the one from 50 years ago. Back then, we had good coaches and ownership.

This isn't our daddy's Steelers.

I actually made the suggestion after he had his stint with the Rams. I think we would have had an advantage in signing him for the revenge factor. I pointed out that his bad year was when he played through a shoulder injury. And he might not be Ben Roethlisberger but he was light years better than Pickett. I was chastised.

I actually made the suggestion after he had his stint with the Rams. I think we would have had an advantage in signing him for the revenge factor. I pointed out that his bad year was when he played through a shoulder injury. And he might not be Ben Roethlisberger but he was light years better than Pickett. I was chastised.

I think our leadership still believed that Kenny Pickett was our future at that time, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Once he realized that this wasn't the organization to play for, we traded him in for another 13 point winner that can't read a defense. And somewhere in the middle of all that, we let Mason Rudolph (the best QB that we've had since Ben) walk out the door too.

But on the plus side, we were smart enough to sign Tomlin to another 3 year extension.