• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 2

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Last week ended up with some great games. Penn State and Pitt kicked off the week with a pair of nail biters. Then some incredible finishes with App State vs UNC and FSU vs LSU. This week has a lot of cupcakes, a few big name matchups that may not be great games, and a few that could be interesting.

Ohio at Penn State 12:00 ABC PSU -27.5
PSU had a tough opener on the road vs Purdue. The OL was pretty good in pass pro but struggled to run the ball. Part of that was Purdue doing some things on defense that they hadn't show before and part was new starters on the PSU OL, and part was freshmen RBs missing some opportunities. They benched the LT late in the game. The run game should get going vs Ohio.

Last week we saw the awaited debut of freshman LB Abdul Carter wearing the #11 of Lavar Arrington and Micah Parsons, for 1 play. Then he was ejected for a BS targeting call. Can't wait to see what he does this week.

Purdue had some success passing in terms of volume but PSU held him to 50% completions. Last year he completed 70%. Ohio had some success in the air last week but that was vs FAU. They will face much tighter coverage from Penn State.

This game SHOULD be a blowout. I'm hoping PSU can get up big early so that they can use the second half to practice the run game and to get some more snaps for QB in waiting, Drew Allar.

1 Alabama at Texas 12:00 FOX Bama -20.5

This will likely become the biggest matchup in the SEC in the coming years, but Texas isn't there yet. Texas QB Quinn Ewers made over a million when he committed to Ohio State. Then another million when he entered the portal and ended up at Texas. Ewers had an OK debut vs LA Monroe but Bama's defense is a massive step up. Texas coach Steve Sarkisian was former OC at Bama and some may think that gives Texas a shot. We saw how well that worked out for Oregon last week vs Georgia. I'm thinking this one is a blowout.

South Carolina at 16 Arkansas 12:00 ESPN Ark -9
Former Oklahoma QB Spencer Rattler transfered to South Carolina where he picked up where he left off by throwing 2 INT vs Georgia state.

24 Tennessee at 17 Pitt 3:30 ABC Tenn -6
Pitt had 10 days to recover from the backyard brawl that came down to the wire. Tenn is coming off a cakewalk against Ball State. This is a big game for both teams that are trying to break through. Tenn has been slowly building back but hasn't really won the big game. It's not that a win in this game will lift either team as much as a loss can really bring them down. The ACC is struggling with Clemson still a question mark. A loss here for Pitt will hurt their perception. Likewise with Tenn who is expected to win because they are an SEC team. A loss for Tenn here and their fans will be pissed.

Washington State at 19 Wisconsin 3:30 FOX Wisc -17
Camp Randall is a tough place to play and Wash State had their hands full with Idaho last week. I may have to put a few dollars on Wisky here.

20 Kentucky at 12 Florida 7:00 ESPN Florida -6
Florida riding high after a big win vs Utah that Utah probably should have won. Utah got to the redzone a bunch of times and came away with few points. Florida QB Anthony Richardson (the media loves it when fans call him AR15) had a big game rushing but only threw for 168 yards. Kentucky cruised to a win last week. Penn State transfer QB Will Levis is a big Tebow type run threat. Last week it seems they wanted to work on passing as he threw for 300 and had few true rush attempts. You have 2 teams looking to do the same thing with big running QBs. The over under is just 51 so this one looks like a tough battle.

10 USC at Stanford 7:30 ABC USC -8.5
USC broke into the top 10 after a blowout against Rice where USC had 3 pick 6s. They were not challenged at all and might be buying their own hype. Stanford usually gives USC fits simply by being tougher than them. This feels like a spot where Stanford could pull the upset. I may put a few bucks on Stanford on the moneyline

9 Baylor at 21 BYU 10:15 ESPN BYU -2.5
Baylor is replacing a lot of guys in the back 7 and BYU may be able to exploit all the new starters. Last week BYU held out their best WRs and on defense they stayed very vanilla against South Florida. Baylor coach Dave Aranda like complex defenses but might have to scale back with so many new starters. BYU could have some surprises waiting.

Wifey up in Jersey visiting sisters...Big football weekend for me and the dog!
The Pitt/Tenn match up will be interesting ....Pitt can certainly use the home fan advantage this week also.
Love the Saturday night late night games and Baylor/BYU should be entertaining.

And of course will be watching ND to see how they bounce back from the OSU loss...

Have a great football weekend men!

As always, thanks Tape, great post.!!

I always root for pennselvania teams and wish both well. The Baylor / BYU game appears to be closest atch but I think the score will be 10+ to the winner. BYU should be the pick.

Salute the nation

Penn State's O should put up 50 today. Anything less will be a disappointment. If the running game doesn't put up 200 (not including QB's), then this team will struggle later in the heart of the Big 10 schedule just like last year when they couldn't run the ball. The running game needs to get some swagger now even if it is against a high school team.

As always, thanks Tape, great post.!!

I always root for pennselvania teams and wish both well. The Baylor / BYU game appears to be closest atch but I think the score will be 10+ to the winner. BYU should be the pick.

Salute the nation
Yeah im definitely rooting for the two Pennsylvanian teams… I don’t have to interact with any Ohio people for a while, so its less important this year if any Ohio team beats Penn State… for whatever reason they often assume that people from Pennsylvania are automatically a Penn State fan, and the awkward ribbing about a team you don’t have real ties to gets old quickly 😂….. but i have enough penn state fan friends that i root for them if they aren’t playing Pitt

Typically a game like the Tennessee game, coming off a huge win, id have zero emotions invested in the Pitt game because it feels like a game they would forget to show up for… but Its a power 5 conference team and Tennessee media and fanbase has a lot of stuff written or filmed basically treating this as a game tget should easily win that I am hopeful the Panthers are mentally focused…

I also think that both teams were severely flawed in wins last week… despite their blowout, Tennessee’s d had its shares of missed tackles and plays left on the field… i think people are underrating pitts offense because of the loss of Pickett and Addison, but that line is extremely experienced and they have a good crop of rbs…
Its not like tgey are bad at wr either… losing the best route runner in college football hurt, but they had depth and a contingency plan…

I think the big thing is WV’s Te turned Rb is still a relatively unknown commodity… he is a 240 lb fast wrecking ball that screwed the defensive gameplan the second he got in… the adjustments to handle him left them vulnerable to change of pace and opened up that passing game.. that kid is worth keeping an eye on …a freshman who is 6’2 and 240 lbs with 7 rushes for 125 and a blocked punt in his first game…
I think that Pitt defensive line is typically going to be a beast and that first game was not indicative of their play for the season

Yeah im definitely rooting for the two Pennsylvanian teams… I don’t have to interact with any Ohio people for a while, so its less important this year if any Ohio team beats Penn State… for whatever reason they often assume that people from Pennsylvania are automatically a Penn State fan, and the awkward ribbing about a team you don’t have real ties to gets old quickly 😂….. but i have enough penn state fan friends that i root for them if they aren’t playing Pitt

Typically a game like the Tennessee game, coming off a huge win, id have zero emotions invested in the Pitt game because it feels like a game they would forget to show up for… but Its a power 5 conference team and Tennessee media and fanbase has a lot of stuff written or filmed basically treating this as a game tget should easily win that I am hopeful the Panthers are mentally focused…

I also think that both teams were severely flawed in wins last week… despite their blowout, Tennessee’s d had its shares of missed tackles and plays left on the field… i think people are underrating pitts offense because of the loss of Pickett and Addison, but that line is extremely experienced and they have a good crop of rbs…
Its not like tgey are bad at wr either… losing the best route runner in college football hurt, but they had depth and a contingency plan…

I think the big thing is WV’s Te turned Rb is still a relatively unknown commodity… he is a 240 lb fast wrecking ball that screwed the defensive gameplan the second he got in… the adjustments to handle him left them vulnerable to change of pace and opened up that passing game.. that kid is worth keeping an eye on …a freshman who is 6’2 and 240 lbs with 7 rushes for 125 and a blocked punt in his first game…
I think that Pitt defensive line is typically going to be a beast and that first game was not indicative of their play for the season

Thanks for the insight madinsomniac, great post

Salute the nation

Pitt handled TN last year by 7, and while the team has changed somewhat, I think, hope, they pull out a win today, despite being a 6-point home dog.

TN win over Ball State showed as much as the PSU win over Ohio will show today.

This is going to be a real tough game for Pitt today. I know the rankings don't reflect it, but on paper Tennessee has the better team, with a particular edge at quarterback.

This is going to be a real tough game for Pitt today. I know the rankings don't reflect it, but on paper Tennessee has the better team, with a particular edge at quarterback.
Yep, last year Hooker wasn't very accurate with the deep balls, or the result might have been different.

My Dawgs should have an easy win. Cupcake games are not worth tuning into.

Texas and Bama should be good. Guess I’ll watch if it’s not a blowout at halftime

Penn State has now run a very unique QB sneak each game The way they do it is QB under center, split RBs and the TE directly behind the QB, so there are 3 backs. QB surges forward and the TE runs up and shoves him forward, Last week they scored on that from the 2. This week just from inside the 1.

Very effective but not sure how many QBs would sign up for that. Don't think we'll see that in the NFL anytime soon.

I don't like the fact that we can't figure out misdirection on offense.

The silly mistakes (offsides) didn't help. AND - the roughing the passer penalty was BULL CHYT!!!