• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Elliott said we jacked around in practice all week

Me too, It’s the philosophy handed down by the HC.

I’d venture to say a part of Tomlin wanted Ben gone as he would step out of the box and turn the offense loose, regardless of the plays called.

I sign of a HC being in to comfy of a chair, for too long.

Defense helps, but offense is needed. We are trying to win using old era tactics.

Salute the nation

And they had a team filled with Hall Of Fame players. The talent level is much closer in the NFL nowadays.
You need a really good or great qb and tactical brilliance from your OC,DC and HC. If you're running the same **** over and over,you're going fall short every time late in the season when teams have your stuff memorized.

Plus everyone has to be fully committed 100% to do whatever it takes.

Do players share any responsibility for not "jacking" around all week? Professional players can't figure out they are "jacking" around and get focused?

They lost. It happens. It probably happens sometimes even if they weren't "jacking" around all week.
Yea, they "lost" to a team with a 31st rated defense after coming in 3-0. It "happens" but it sure is more consistent with Tomlin running things, you can't even deny that. His clown show remains. Pathetic.

The only thing I'll say to that is you need to have credibility. Has Najee attained that? Maybe that is why Tomlin told him not to worry about it. Perhaps a guy like Heyward or Minka or Watt would be better suited for that with their resumes.
Sadly Watt and Heyward have been here for years and Fitzpatrick for a bunch. None of them have stepped up to stop the nonsense. Watt says he likes to lead on the field. Ok. No locker room leaders apparentlyare available....so when one guy steps up......who has been a work horse on offense every year he has been here.....(Tomlin)meh.. just worry about playing RB.

He said they "weren't locked in." Who would you blame that on if not the head coach?
It starts at the top. It is on Tomlin. I’m tired of they are grown men. Why have a head coach if it is up to the players. It is the head coach / manager in real life job, to set expectations and get the most out of the team. If it is ok to just show up that is what you are going to get. Sure some people are the exception, but you are always going to get a majority doing just enough to not get in the doghouse.

Let it go men..,
It’s called a loss..everyone gets them..

Did yinz really believe Justin Fields was going to tie bradshaw and big Ben’s record of starting the season 4-0, with three of those wins on the road!

I surely didn’t …

Let’s bury the colts game and look like the team we know we can be on a nationally televised night game against … America’s team!

I want to hear the Yinzers with the classic Here we Go and Defense-Defense chants in the forth quarter Sunday night!

Let it go men..,
It’s called a loss..everyone gets them..

Did yinz really believe Justin Fields was going to tie bradshaw and big Ben’s record of starting the season 4-0, with three of those wins on the road!

I surely didn’t …

Let’s bury the colts game and look like the team we know we can be on a nationally televised night game against … America’s team!

I want to hear the Yinzers with the classic Here we Go and Defense-Defense chants in the forth quarter Sunday night!

This has ZERO to do with that game.

This has EVERYTHING to do with every season players saying we aren't a serious operation. Tomlin's results put a stamp on that. The guy is Tubby Smith. Won a title right of the bat and then collected that check for years, had "decent" seasons and got nowhere until they finally said beat it. (They actually didn't even tell Tubby to beat it, they told him to get better assistants. Instead of doing that, he left in the middle of the night and took a huge step down to Minnesota where they let him hire his son).

This has ZERO to do with that game.

This has EVERYTHING to do with every season players saying we aren't a serious operation. Tomlin's results put a stamp on that. The guy is Tubby Smith. Won a title right of the bat and then collected that check for years, had "decent" seasons and got nowhere until they finally said beat it. (They actually didn't even tell Tubby to beat it, they told him to get better assistants. Instead of doing that, he left in the middle of the night and took a huge step down to Minnesota where they let him hire his son).
I can just about guarantee that 80-90% of the time a NFL favored team lose. is because they did not have a good week of practice.
It is not regulated to just Coach Tomlin and the Pittsburgh Steelers football club.

I can just about guarantee that 80-90% of the time a NFL favored team lose. is because they did not have a good week of practice.
It is not regulated to just Coach Tomlin and the Pittsburgh Steelers football club.

I just said it had nothing to do with one game. What part of that do you not understand and what part do you not understand about the trend of us getting nowhere and the trend of players saying we are lax?

He said they "weren't locked in." Who would you blame that on if not the head coach?
Themselves you idiot.

I can’t imagine old school players…the Otto Grahams, Jim Browns, Ray Nitchke, Dick Butkus’ Deacon Joneses , the Steel Curtain, and a thousand others from back in the day having to be held by the hand by coaches paid to be babysitters.

Because the coaches guide the ship their job is to put the players in the best position to succeed. It isn’t all in them but they are the front runner. The most successful teams have coaches that guide their team well. Know those X and Os and can make adjustments on the fly. Obviously the players and scouting department have a hand in the pie as well.
And I don't disagree with any of that. But the "jacking" around argument is different, IMO. It implies that the coaches allowed these players to just mess around all week. It was hiddy ho time at the Steelers facility all week. I don't believe that. I think it is ridiculous and simplistic. Now as per your arguments, absolutely. But they are deeper, well thought out arguments that actually have some merit.

How many straight years do we have to hear this? Tomlin has just ruined this once-vaunted franchise.
My problem with this argument if you put it in context is this: Noll won 4 Super Bowls in 23 years. Cowher 1 in 15. That is 5 Super Bowls in 38 years. In those years they didn't win, did the coaches let the players "jack" around too much? In those years they didn't win, let's say the entire 1980s, did Noll ruin this "once-vaunted" franchise?

The problems with this team have nothing to do with letting them "jack" around. The real truth is they aren't anything special. So they are going to win games, but because they aren't anything special, they are going to lose some too. Tomlin should have answered with his job for them not being anything special, that we can agree on.

Yea, they "lost" to a team with a 31st rated defense after coming in 3-0. It "happens" but it sure is more consistent with Tomlin running things, you can't even deny that. His clown show remains. Pathetic.
It isn't more consistent. I think in a different thread you were shown that isn't the case.

Themselves you idiot.

I can’t imagine old school players…the Otto Grahams, Jim Browns, Ray Nitchke, Dick Butkus’ Deacon Joneses , the Steel Curtain, and a thousand others from back in the day having to be held by the hand by coaches paid to be babysitters.
It is interesting to me where this disconnect is. All I can come up with is that I am old enough to remember a time when if I played poorly, it was my fault. I don't recall my parents ever saying the coach was wrong. But it is a different time now. For a good while, actually. It's always the coach if the kid isn't that good. It's never the kid. It seems to be so ingrained. So naturally, even in with the pros it's blame the coach.

It is interesting to me where this disconnect is. All I can come up with is that I am old enough to remember a time when if I played poorly, it was my fault. I don't recall my parents ever saying the coach was wrong. But it is a different time now. For a good while, actually. It's always the coach if the kid isn't that good. It's never the kid. It seems to be so ingrained. So naturally, even in with the pros it's blame the coach.
You mean your coach didn’t put you in a position to succeed? What does that even mean?
What it meant when I played was when the coach gave you a good a s s chewing..

Last edited:
Tomlin and the Steelers defense prepared for Richardson, They got Joe Flacco, at this point Joe Flacco is Tom Brady compared to Anthony Richardson.
Taylor running through this defense and 19 yards on 13 carries against a defense that gave up 150+ to Mixon and Jacobs. Is just an embarrassment

Tomlin and the Steelers defense prepared for Richardson, They got Joe Flacco, at this point Joe Flacco is Tom Brady compared to Anthony Richardson.
Taylor running through this defense and 19 yards on 13 carries against a defense that gave up 150+ to Mixon and Jacobs. Is just an embarrassment
It isn't. It's so early. Teams change and improve. Or get worse. If the Steelers improve offensively and begin to score 30+ points a game consistently, will it be an embarrassment to the teams they play because the Steelers looked rough early?

Right on, to conservative and idling along. We need the foot on the gas at all times, play to win and get the knock out.

Our whole philosophy has been play not to lose, while the NFL is geared to score more points to win.

Salute the nation
well hopefully this past game shook them out of their stupor. played like crap and still shoulda won the game. really concerned about our oline moving forward.