• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.............week 10 vs Packers....

Chicoman

Reaction score
I guess if you told me we'd be 6-3 at this point in the season I'd be happy with that...but I'm sure as hell not happy with either of our coodinators! I can't decide who's worse, Teryl Austin or Matt Canada? I think Teryl Austin is actually the worse between the two because our Defense is Ranked overall 30th in the NFL and with the talent and money spent we have on that side of the football they are under achieving....BIG TIME! The Defense gives up way too big pass plays and too many 3rd & long plays vs inexperienced sub par NFL QB's as they find open receivers just sitting in the zone and I don't think the talent on the Defensive side of the football is the problem. The Packers were 50% on 3rd down today(8 for 16 and 4 of those 3rd down conversions were 3rd & 7 or longer) and 2 for 2 on 4th down also. It's scheme more than anything when it comes to our defensive woes. One other sour note for the Steelers is that Kwon Alexander suffered what appears to be a very serious injury......so all of a sudden the Steelers are very thin at ILB right now with Roberts & Robinson the only guys healthy. During the NFL Draft I remember Omar Khan mentioning the pick of Nick Herbig and that he could play inside or outside at LB'er for the Steelers. Now with the ILB being so thin....is moving Nick Herbig to the ILB position still an option? He certainly would see more play time and he's a high motor athlete who can be an impactful player when he's out there.

Offensively the Steelers O-line was dominant early and Jaylen Warren & Najee Harris did an excellent job finding holes in that Packers front 7. The running game stalled a bit once the Packers started to stuff the box with 9 sometimes 10 guys all within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. With all the success with the running game today I don't recall seeing a single play action passing play today by Matt Canada. That's all the pr00f I need to know that this guy is not capable at the NFL level. I can't remember a time in the Steelers offense where I don't see any play action passing, throws over the middle of the field, slants. All I see is throws outside the numbers for most of the game.....it will be any game now where we see a Defense take one of those to the house.....we almost saw it twice today on throws that were almost picked off. I'm counting the games until Matt Canada is gone as our OC. 8 game to go! I'm beginning to wonder if Kenny Pickett is Tim Tebow 2.0. Missing open WR's and just not seeing his receivers open downfield are very reminescent of Tim Tebow. There was one play today where Pickett looked left and was locked onto Jaylen Warren the entire play....he threw it....should have been picked off by the LB'er as it was right in his hands.....on that play he had Dionte Johnson streaking down the same side and he had his man beat by almost 5 yds....was an easy TD and Pickett just never even looked off Warren. The play could have been a complete disaster and it should have been if that LB'er holds onto the football for the INT. This is the stuff I am starting to see that all of a sudden has me a little bit leary of Kenny Pickett as the future QB of the Steelers.

This makes the 9th game in a row the Steelers offense has been outgained by their opponent. How we are 6-3 I don't know....but it's pretty incredible that they are 6-3.

Next up for our Steelers is a really tough road matchup vs Browns and a stingy Defense led by Jim Schwartz. I wish he was our DC!

Per Tomlin's Post Game Presser:
Kwon Alexander - Serious lower body injury....it's not promising....looks very serious

Game Balls:
Jaylen Warren - 15 car 101 yds 1 TD, 2 rec 9 yds - He and Najee are starting to make a great tandem of RB's
Najee Harris - 16 car 82 yds 1 TD, 3 rec 14 yds - As the O-line improves I expect to see Najee & Jaylen both get better
Steelers O-line - Jones & Seumalo both had good games....Dan Moore created some nice holes also....205 yds rushing today and the Steelers O-line was a big part of it
Patrick Peterson - Blocked PAT today and nice pass breakup today in the endzone that resulted in Neal's INT
TJ Watt - 8 tackles today, 1 sack giving him 10.5 for the season
Keanu Benton - 6 tackles and he got great penetration today up the middle....was very disruptive. He's gotta be the starting NT going forward when Adams comes back from injury
Keanu Neal - 8 tackles, 1 INT today....was good in run support today

Game Goats:
Kenny Pickett - 14 for 23 126 yds - He's just not seeing the field or his WR's downfield that are open on several plays. Also I don't like see the overthrows to wide open receivers. I'm think KP is more like Tim Tebow 2.0 than the Future for the Steelers at Quarterback
Dionte Johnson - The guy has hands of stone sometimes....saw that today on a back shoulder throw that hit him right in his hands. Gotta catch those throws!

FU's:
Matt Canada - Yeah he's better on the sideline but he's still awful! I'm counting down the games til he's gone! 8 to go!
Teryl Austin - Worst DC in the NFL with one of the most talented lineups of players!

The running game stalled a bit once the Packers started to stuff the box with 9 sometimes 10 guys all within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. With all the success with the running game today I don't recall seeing a single play action passing play today by Matt Canada.

So... Steelers have success with the run early. The Packers make the right adjustments and start stacking the box.

The Packers stack the box and the right adjustment would've been - like you stated - play action. Didn't happen. We come back to the "chess vs. checkers" coaching comparison again. Sigh.

Oh, and both a game ball AND goat from me to Boz. Kudos for the FG's, but he gets a goat for the short kickoffs. Those gave GB some good field position.

Thanks Chico.

I disagree with Kenny being a goat. He had over 60 percent completion. Led two early drives and scrambled well.

I wouldn't give him a game ball but wouldn't give him a game goat either.

I guess if you told me we'd be 6-3 at this point in the season I'd be happy with that...but I'm sure as hell not happy with either of our coodinators! I can't decide who's worse, Teryl Austin or Matt Canada? I think Teryl Austin is actually the worse between the two because our Defense is Ranked overall 30th in the NFL and with the talent and money spent we have on that side of the football they are under achieving....BIG TIME! The Defense gives up way too big pass plays and too many 3rd & long plays vs inexperienced sub par NFL QB's as they find open receivers just sitting in the zone and I don't think the talent on the Defensive side of the football is the problem. The Packers were 50% on 3rd down today(8 for 16 and 4 of those 3rd down conversions were 3rd & 7 or longer) and 2 for 2 on 4th down also. It's scheme more than anything when it comes to our defensive woes. One other sour note for the Steelers is that Kwon Alexander suffered what appears to be a very serious injury......so all of a sudden the Steelers are very thin at ILB right now with Roberts & Robinson the only guys healthy. During the NFL Draft I remember Omar Khan mentioning the pick of Nick Herbig and that he could play inside or outside at LB'er for the Steelers. Now with the ILB being so thin....is moving Nick Herbig to the ILB position still an option? He certainly would see more play time and he's a high motor athlete who can be an impactful player when he's out there.

Offensively the Steelers O-line was dominant early and Jaylen Warren & Najee Harris did an excellent job finding holes in that Packers front 7. The running game stalled a bit once the Packers started to stuff the box with 9 sometimes 10 guys all within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. With all the success with the running game today I don't recall seeing a single play action passing play today by Matt Canada. That's all the pr00f I need to know that this guy is not capable at the NFL level. I can't remember a time in the Steelers offense where I don't see any play action passing, throws over the middle of the field, slants. All I see is throws outside the numbers for most of the game.....it will be any game now where we see a Defense take one of those to the house.....we almost saw it twice today on throws that were almost picked off. I'm counting the games until Matt Canada is gone as our OC. 8 game to go! I'm beginning to wonder if Kenny Pickett is Tim Tebow 2.0. Missing open WR's and just not seeing his receivers open downfield are very reminescent of Tim Tebow. There was one play today where Pickett looked left and was locked onto Jaylen Warren the entire play....he threw it....should have been picked off by the LB'er as it was right in his hands.....on that play he had Dionte Johnson streaking down the same side and he had his man beat by almost 5 yds....was an easy TD and Pickett just never even looked off Warren. The play could have been a complete disaster and it should have been if that LB'er holds onto the football for the INT. This is the stuff I am starting to see that all of a sudden has me a little bit leary of Kenny Pickett as the future QB of the Steelers.

This makes the 9th game in a row the Steelers offense has been outgained by their opponent. How we are 6-3 I don't know....but it's pretty incredible that they are 6-3.

Next up for our Steelers is a really tough road matchup vs Browns and a stingy Defense led by Jim Schwartz. I wish he was our DC!

Kwon Alexander - Serious lower body injury....it's not promising....looks very serious

Game Balls:
Jaylen Warren - 15 car 101 yds 1 TD, 2 rec 9 yds - He and Najee are starting to make a great tandem of RB's
Najee Harris - 16 car 82 yds 1 TD, 3 rec 14 yds - As the O-line improves I expect to see Najee & Jaylen both get better
Steelers O-line - Jones & Seumalo both had good games....Dan Moore created some nice holes also....205 yds rushing today and the Steelers O-line was a big part of it
Patrick Peterson - Blocked PAT today and nice pass breakup today in the endzone that resulted in Neal's INT
Keanu Benton - 6 tackles and he got great penetration today up the middle....was very disruptive. He's gotta be the starting NT going forward when Adams comes back from injury

Game Goats:
Kenny Pickett - 14 for 23 126 yds - He's just not seeing the field or his WR's downfield that are open on several plays. Also I don't like see the overthrows to wide open receivers. I'm think KP is more like Tim Tebow 2.0 than the Future for the Steelers at Quarterback
Dionte Johnson - The guy has hands of stone sometimes....saw that today on a back shoulder throw that hit him right in his hands. Gotta catch those throws!

FU's:
Matt Canada - Yeah he's better on the sideline but he's still awful! I'm counting down the games til he's gone! 8 to go!
Teryl Austin - Worst DC in the NFL with one of the most talented lineups of players!

A hostile takeover.
It appears that rotten no-good Coolie is putting you out of business.
You may as well post this in his " Initial thoughts after the game" thread.

I disagree with Kenny being a goat. He had over 60 percent completion. Led two early drives and scrambled well.

I wouldn't give him a game ball but wouldn't give him a game goat either.
I'm getting to the point of getting so sick of hearing Steelers fans ***** about him that I almost hope we move on from him so he can succeed elsewhere. Just look at everyone suddenly fawning over Dobbs, maybe the problem is the Steelers and not the player.....and maybe just maybe players need time to develop.....idk, I'm sick of ******* hearing it

A hostile takeover.
It appears that rotten no-good Coolie is putting you out of business.
You may as well post this in his " Initial thoughts after the game" thread.
Coolie who?

I'm getting to the point of getting so sick of hearing Steelers fans ***** about him that I almost hope we move on from him so he can succeed elsewhere. Just look at everyone suddenly fawning over Dobbs, maybe the problem is the Steelers and not the player.....and maybe just maybe players need time to develop.....idk, I'm sick of ******* hearing it
What is worse is the agenda posters that say this QB is head and shoulders over Kenny right after a win.

Always mouse quiet when he is doing well. When he isn't he will be right there saying he told us so.

These type posters don't celebrate wins.

They just stay stuck in their delusional fantasy that they know football better than you, me, and Joe blow.

I will get the occasional Kenny doubters. He does need to play better. But as you said with the immigrating factors. Not all teams have crayon wearing signal caller.

I don't watch for fantasy football statistics, I watch for victories. The reason the game is played.

If Kenny can game manage and leave with a win give me that. If he can't then I start rumbling.

He will have more times upcoming to prove himself.

Given how porous the secondary is they spent too much money on edge rushers. Since holding is pretty much legal the edge guys are less effective.

My biggest issue is the defensive scheme. That zone the play is like Swiss ******* cheese. Every Joe Blow qb and his mama can throw to guys who are 5-10 yards wide open routinely.

The Steelers don't have that because teams generally don't play that god awful prevent nonsense.

To me it looks like a complete cluster ****.

I'm just stoked to see them pounding the rock again. They're going to need that if they're going to have any chance vs the clowns&bungles.

I'm beyond dumbfounded why we won't use the middle of the field or play action.

Given how porous the secondary is they spent too much money on edge rushers. Since holding is pretty much legal the edge guys are less effective.

Too much money on guys who will get blocked up pretty solid by the middle of the season every year.

Game Balls:
-OL - excellent effort today
-Warren and Harris - both ran very well today
-Patrick Peterson - blocked XP made a huge difference at the end. Forced a massive INT when the Packers were in business.

Game Goats:
-Kenny Pickett - come on, make a play. Please!
-Alex Highsmith - we needed more from the pass rush department today.
-DBs outside of JPJ and Peterson - made Jordan Love look like a Pro Bowler for most of the game

Game Balls:

Game Goats:

FU's:
If Pickett is that, why is Canada so awful?

Everyone says they don't want to evaluate Pickett completely because of Canada. If what you say about Pickett is true, maybe we shouldn't fully evaluate Canada until he gets a better QB.

Listen, I think Canada is terrible. But to me it's that there seems to be no feel for the game at certain times...crucial times. I don't really know about the offensive design and all that. I'm not sure any of us do. But hell, they'd be just as bad...and maybe actually better with Trubisky or Mason Rudolph in there. Pickett just isn't good right now.

We have crossed some strange boundary here. They are 6-3...but no one feels good about it. It's bizarre.

126 yards and zero TDs for a starting NFL QB with two balls that should've been picked off is a bad game.
You are a lover of FF. He had nine incomplete passes. Two were throw aways. He had two terrible throws. One to Warren one along sideline. The other guy who apparently had a great game didn't almost throw two picks. He threw them. He us playing without a TE and every pass is a contested throw because as it was with Ben and Trubisky the route concepts get no one really open. The TE from the Packers who was Steelers PS called it and its exactly when you watch it. It's a college offense. He is correct.

You are a lover of FF. He had nine incomplete passes. Two were throw aways. He had two terrible throws. One to Warren one along sideline. The other guy who apparently had a great game didn't almost throw two picks. He threw them. He us playing without a TE and every pass is a contested throw because as it was with Ben and Trubisky the route concepts get no one really open. The TE from the Packers who was Steelers PS called it and its exactly when you watch it. It's a college offense. He is correct.
Couldn't care less about fantasy stats. A QB with 126 yards and no TDs is terrible production. I don't care how bad the offensive scheme is, he isn't fully operating within the scheme and six TDs on the season isn't the type of production this team needs to be a serious contender. The Steelers continually do just enough to win on a weekly basis and that's why they are stuck in the middle and are probably no threat to win a playoff game once again. Pickett has to play better.

Have our standards lowered that much that 126 yards and 0 TDs is an acceptable game?

Not when you're running the ball for over 200 yards with one back averaging 6.7 a pop and the other 5.1 a pop. They scored two beautiful touchdowns on the ground. I'll take that **** all day and twice on Sunday.

Not when you're running the ball for over 200 yards with one back averaging 6.7 a pop and the other 5.1 a pop. They scored two beautiful touchdowns on the ground. I'll take that **** all day and twice on Sunday.
The issue is as soon as they got away from the run the offense did absolutely nothing. I don't need him to be Justin Herbert today, but make a play with your arm every so often. It just doesn't happen nearly enough and really only once today.

Pickett was awful today. He was. He locks onto receivers, never throws over the middle of the field, forced two throws to guys who were freaking blanketed, threw some weird wobbly pass backwards that was a lateral and would have led to a 1st and goal for the Pack and a loss. The reason Pickett is not the reason for a loss - 100% - is because a DB could not bother to tap a 2nd foot inbounds and a blown call by the refs. That's it.