• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's..........Week 3 vs Bengals....

Chicoman

Reaction score
I remember saying a long time ago that I'd rather get blown out than lose a close game. Yeah that was a mistake in saying that....cuz after today's loss I don't even know if I'm going to be able to watch much more of the Steelers this season if they continue to perform like this. Today was absolutely awful....and the injuries just continue to take it's toll on our Steelers. The obvious is the Steelers have without question THE WORST OFFENSIVE LINE in the NFL. Everyone on that O-line should be ashamed of themselves......Dan Moore (TERRIBLE), Kevin Dotson (TERRIBLE), Kendrick Green (Below the Line), Trai Turner (SubPar), Chuck Okorafor (******* ATROCIOUS). About the only thing I can say that is a positive about our O-line is that now it seems mostly like Kevin Dotson he helped pickup his QB off the turf after he was knocked down. Can't say much else positive about the O-line. I know they are young but they are almost Unwatchable. I honestly think you could sign 5 Free Agents off the street and suit them up and they could perform better as a unit than what Tomlin & Klemm are putting out there. I don't see much difference between Randy Fitchner vs Matt Canada with the exception of pre-snap motion which IMO does absolutely nothing to confuse an NFL Defense! It's still a dink and dunk offense with most passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, lack of a run game and the presence of a one dimensional offense same as last year. The importance of a solid O-line has never been more present than it was today. They can't run block, they can't pass protect...saw multiple times today where Dan Moore & Chuck Okorafor were pushed right back into Ben. We can't have guys like that especially Moore protecting Ben's blind side. He was really bad today but Okorafor was even worse! In the middle of the O-line it's not much better.....Dotson looked ******* terrible most of the day today and Kendrick Green doesn't look good either. As for Trai Turner he looked average at best. I'm not optimistic this O-line will improve this season to an acceptable level so I don't see us winning more than 5 or 6 games if this continues....maybe even less if the injuries continue to mount on this team. Sad seeing Ben play like he has the past 2 weeks. BJ Finney & JC Hassenhauer & John Haeg should all see some playing time on our O-line. They really can't be much worse than the other 5 Jabronis we've got starting out there! Defensively this is a hurting unit without Alualu the rest of the season and no Watt or Highsmith out there either. Did anyone else notice TJ Watt limping on the sideline? I did and it makes me think he won't be available for several weeks. Defense needs to get healthy quick because our offense could sure use their help! Seeing the Steelers let the Bungles mark 75yds in 27 seconds for a TD just before halftime took all the wind out of my sails for the 2nd half...not to mention Cincy took the opening 2nd half kickoff and scored more points. Steelers will be marching into Green Bay next Sunday and they have perhaps one of the worst Defenses in the NFL. If our O-line can't do anything up there it's not going to get any better going forward.

Per Tomlin's Post Game: NO INJURY UPDATES GIVEN
Juju Smith Schuster -
Kendrick Green -
Chase Claypool -

Game Balls:
Najee Harris - This kid has all the physical tools....most of his yardage he made by himself...wish we had an O-line for him to run behind 142 yds from scrimmage today including 102 yds receiving
Chase Claypool - 9 rec 96 yds....still would like to see him be more physical as a WR.

Game Goats:
Ben Roethlisberger - I know the O-line sucks but he's got to play better than he did today.....BRUTAL PERFORMANCE!
Eric Ebron - 1 catch in 7 targets over the first 3 games. Should have caught 2 passes today...one hit him right in his hands and he dropped it....TERRIBLE!
James Pierre - Got toasted by Jamarr Chase today.....and no Chase didn't push off enough to warrant a OPI call. Looked to me like Pierre almost quit on the play and let up running as the ball was coming in.
Joe Haden - Dude was about 5 yards behind Jamarr Chase on his 2nd TD catch! PATHETIC!
O-line - HOT GARBAGE! WORST O-LINE IN THE NFL!

FU's:
Mike Tomlin - **** YOU! Last week in garbage time with 10 seconds to go in the game down by 2 scores you decided to run a play and got your #1 WR Dionte Johnson hurt and he didn't play today. You contributed to the debacle that happened today!

FU to the refs for that roughing the passer call on Ingram that involved less violent contact than Ogre dropping the toilet lid. Did that affect the game? Nahhh, no help giving Bungles a TD, nope, none at all.

And an FU to Mike Tomlin every week for the rest of the season if he does not change the metronome like punting near midfield, snoozing through the first half of every game, and putting on the field the softest team this side of the Charmin All-Stars.

You have to give a FU to Canada as well. The O play calls may have different names but they are still throwing quick passes within 5 yards of the LOS. Those aren't check downs, those are the play calls. And, we still don't have no-huddle other than the 3 plays or so we did today. How the **** are they supposed to switch things up or come from behind if they can't move fast? I like the Steelers stability but if this is what they have and if Ben hangs them up after this year, Canada is fired.

Game ball to Najee Harris (even with some of the dropped balls).

They may want to ask another team the term "RB by committee" and what it means though. Kid's a beast but it's gonna be a long season. Atrocious otherwise.

You have to give a FU to Canada as well. The O play calls may have different names but they are still throwing quick passes within 5 yards of the LOS. Those aren't check downs, those are the play calls. And, we still don't have no-huddle other than the 3 plays or so we did today. How the **** are they supposed to switch things up or come from behind if they can't move fast? I like the Steelers stability but if this is what they have and if Ben hangs them up after this year, Canada is fired.
Am I the only one that remembers during the off season when Canada and Ben basically said that as long as Ben was here, it would mostly be the same plays that Ben is comfortable with, only different terminology. I hate the offense I'm seeing, including the play calling. But a big part of me remembers that they told us they would run the **** Ben was comfortable with. I think that's what we're seeing. If it is, Ben is done. If it's not that way because of Ben's comfort level, the Canada experiment is looking like an absolute failure. If it's both, then I guess I should've tempered my expectations for a rookie NFL OC, a rebuilt OL and an aging QB.

Harris was the best player on the field for the Steelers today and they were still awful on offense. Yet another example of why running backs in the first round are bad investments.

Am I the only one that remembers during the off season when Canada and Ben basically said that as long as Ben was here, it would mostly be the same plays that Ben is comfortable with, only different terminology. I hate the offense I'm seeing, including the play calling. But a big part of me remembers that they told us they would run the **** Ben was comfortable with. I think that's what we're seeing. If it is, Ben is done. If it's not that way because of Ben's comfort level, the Canada experiment is looking like an absolute failure. If it's both, then I guess I should've tempered my expectations for a rookie NFL OC, a rebuilt OL and an aging QB.
I agree with every point you made except I'm not sure what games we can win to get up to 5 or 6 victories.

I agree with every point you made except I'm not sure what games we can win to get up to 5 or 6 victories.
I picked 9-8 but that seems a tad optimistic now.

I picked 9-8 but that seems a tad optimistic now.
I told a buddy the Steelers could be anywhere from 12-5 to 5-12. 5-12 seems optimistic.

Only hope is they completely **** the bed and Tomlin runs for the hills. I still don't think they'd ever fire him. We need a complete house cleaning. I'm so f'n sick of promoting within like we've done Tomlin's entire tenure. All we end up with is the same old tired **** year after year.

Only hope is they completely **** the bed and Tomlin runs for the hills. I still don't think they'd ever fire him.

First item could happen, second will never happen. Say what you will about Tomlin - he is an eminently mediocre coach who gets the least out of his roster and CONSTANTLY loses to inferior competition in years past (not this year since his team is not good) - but he is not a quitter.

We need a complete house cleaning. I'm so f'n sick of promoting within like we've done Tomlin's entire tenure. All we end up with is the same old tired **** year after year.

One line of argument I have heard for ten years: "Yeah, who you going to get who is better?" Sure. You bet. You mean like:
  • Sean McDermott, 47 years old, 25-10 last past two seasons plus two games in 2021, more playoff wins than Mike Tomlin since 2017
  • Sean McVay, 35 years old, 46-21, SB appearance since 2017 and more playoff wins than Mike Tomlin since 2017
  • Mike Vrable, 46 years old, 31-21 in three seasons, 2 playoff appearances, and more playoff wins than Mike Tomlin since 2017
I hate the "Oh yeah, who would you hire?" bullshit.

Somebody better, that's who. I just named three. Steelers front office gets paid a ****-ton of money to find great coaches. Let them do their job.

FU's:
Mike Tomlin - **** YOU! Last week in garbage time with 10 seconds to go in the game down by 2 scores you decided to run a play and got your #1 WR Dionte Johnson hurt and he didn't play today. You contributed to the debacle that happened today!
How about this quote from Tomlin:

“We had fired all of our bullets at that juncture in terms of some of our play selection,” said Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. “It just wasn’t a good enough play to get in there.”

The only game ball is for Harris, only true hart on this team right now.

FU hate to say it but Mr Rooney to sit and watch these Steelers under Tomlin and his coaching staff is an embarrassment as today you heard the boos second week in a row.

First item could happen, second will never happen. Say what you will about Tomlin - he is an eminently mediocre coach who gets the least out of his roster and CONSTANTLY loses to inferior competition in years past (not this year since his team is not good) - but he is not a quitter.

One line of argument I have heard for ten years: "Yeah, who you going to get who is better?" Sure. You bet. You mean like:
  • Sean McDermott, 47 years old, 25-10 last past two seasons plus two games in 2021, more playoff wins than Mike Tomlin since 2017
  • Sean McVay, 35 years old, 46-21, SB appearance since 2017 and more playoff wins than Mike Tomlin since 2017
  • Mike Vrable, 46 years old, 31-21 in three seasons, 2 playoff appearances, and more playoff wins than Mike Tomlin since 2017
I hate the "Oh yeah, who would you hire?" bullshit.

Somebody better, that's who. I just named three. Steelers front office gets paid a ****-ton of money to find great coaches. Let them do their job.
I agree. I'm unsure if the Steelers front office has given Tomlin autonomy when it comes to hiring his coaching staff or not. I believe they have personally. Either way, the front office is to blame for allowing him to do it.

“We had fired all of our bullets at that juncture in terms of some of our play selection,” said Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. “It just wasn’t a good enough play to get in there.”
I heard that quote from him after I typed my initial post. He was referring to not having any more play calls. He's an IDIOT! Some posts above show that there are better more productive coaches out there than him. He will always have a job here in Pittsburgh, they will never FIRE him because of the Rooney Rule. I wouldn't be opposed to firing Tomlin....he's average at best. He had arguably great teams from when he took over the Steelers to about 2012 and we got 1 SuperBowl win from him. Then flash forward to 2015-2018....Best offense we've ever had and we got what? 3 playoff wins? I'll say this again....Tomlin Underachieves with all the talent he has had on the Steeler teams he's coached.

When I think of Tomlin I can't help but hear his response after the 2008 NFL Draft taking Rashard Mendenhall & Limas Sweed with our first & second round picks....questioning why NO O-LINEMEN Drafted. Tomlin replied "There are 2 ways to protect your QB....O-linemen or surround him with weapons" We surrounded him with weapons. BEN GOT KILLED IN 2008. It was a miracle that we won the Super Bowl that year. I think 2009 Ben was sacked the most in his career and Tomlin didn't even draft any O-linemen in 2009. It wasn't until 2010 when we drafted Pouncey.

Did he really say that, or was that Josh Pray that guy who does the imitations?

Harris was the best player on the field for the Steelers today and they were still awful on offense. Yet another example of why running backs in the first round are bad investments.

Yeah I thought if the OL was even remotely competent, he could shine - should've known better, especially after the Saquon Barkley experiment.

Head coaches are either Xs and Os types or motivators.
Noll was Xs and Os.
Cowher was a motivator.
Tomlin is neither.
I was an early defender because I think it's only fair to see multiple years and see player development/game plans/adjustments/2nd half/etc.
Tomlin is an abject failure. THEE BIGGEST FU belongs to him, via the Rooneys.
The Rooneys are enablers that allow this travesty to continue.

Game ball to Najee Harris........an island of awesome in an ocean of diarrhea.

Goats......I know the D is gonna take blame, but I'm giving them a pass due to ALL the injuries and us missing the NFLs highest paid alien.
But the offense, in its totality, from coaches to players. You were ALL hot flaming garbage.

They tried to polish a turd. No one can run with this oline. No one. They are about creating the illusion instead of fixing the major problems.

Hire Byron Leftwich or Kellen Moore as head coach. Dump Tomlin.

Did he really say that, or was that Josh Pray that guy who does the imitations?

He really said that, listen to post game interview on YouTube and you will hear it.

Salute the nation