• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m caught up in the Steelers hype like most. Definitely more this year than in the recent past, and Im really excited to see what Kenny brings his second year. I’m not a film breakdown guy, and I’m not a college football guy. Living down here DEEP in SEC country, it’s all I can do to avoid the topic. But I went back and watched just about every YouTube video I could find of Kenny’s days at Pitt. I’m sure many of you followed him closely in college and have been able to foretell what he might bring, but I wanted to watch for myself. I was certainly familiar with the accolades, but dang…the film. Some things that stuck out…

1. Please correct me if I’m wrong on this, I looked at his stats from Pitt his senior yr and thought…maybe I’m misinterpreting this column. His long TD pass for each game…his shortest all season was 25 yards. His second shortest (of the long TDs) was 35. 13 games…all had a TD of at least 25 years. (67 longest)
2. He consistently throws a beautiful deep ball. Even in college his ball placement was nearly perfect. His timing with Addison has me really excited to to see what he’s developed with DJ and Pickens...and hopefully Austin.
3. If I have one critique it’s that he threw off his back foot a lot even while in the pocket (but with very good touch and accuracy). But in the day and age of Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, is that even still a thing? I’m sure they’re working on mechanics, but I find it reassuring he’s able to make off balance throws so accurately.
4. The reverse spin move he did when escaping the pocket against the Ravens last year when he threw the TD to Najee…he’s done that a lot. That back shoulder spin seem to be instinctual…nice.
5. He uses the middle of the field regularly. Even in college, the seam, skinny post…he was very effective using that part of the filed.
6. Based on what I’ve seen I think we can expect a lot of QB sneaks and KP diving for the pylon or first down marker while reaching to ball forward. (Those both seemed to be themes)
5. He’s a winner

So much has been made of him going against the non-starters in preseason, and the ACC isn’t known as the toughest conference, but what he brings is hard to defend. I don’t care how good the competition, it’s hard to defend a perfectly timed, placed pass, and that’s what he does again, and again, and again. If he improves at reading defenses, pocket presence and has time to throw, he’s going to score A LOT of points. And we already know he’s putting in the effort to improve.

I predict he’ll be the Steelers MVP this year. We have a real winner.

I’m caught up in the Steelers hype like most. Definitely more this year than in the recent past, and Im really excited to see what Kenny brings his second year. I’m not a film breakdown guy, and I’m not a college football guy. Living down here DEEP in SEC country, it’s all I can do to avoid the topic. But I went back and watched just about every YouTube video I could find of Kenny’s days at Pitt. I’m sure many of you followed him closely in college and have been able to foretell what he might bring, but I wanted to watch for myself. I was certainly familiar with the accolades, but dang…the film. Some things that stuck out…

1. Please correct me if I’m wrong on this, I looked at his stats from Pitt his senior yr and thought…maybe I’m misinterpreting this column. His long TD pass for each game…his shortest all season was 25 yards. His second shortest (of the long TDs) was 35. 13 games…all had a TD of at least 25 years. (67 longest)
2. He consistently throws a beautiful deep ball. Even in college his ball placement was nearly perfect. His timing with Addison has me really excited to to see what he’s developed with DJ and Pickens...and hopefully Austin.
3. If I have one critique it’s that he threw off his back foot a lot even while in the pocket (but with very good touch and accuracy). But in the day and age of Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, is that even still a thing? I’m sure they’re working on mechanics, but I find it reassuring he’s able to make off balance throws so accurately.
4. The reverse spin move he did when escaping the pocket against the Ravens last year when he threw the TD to Najee…he’s done that a lot. That back shoulder spin seem to be instinctual…nice.
5. He uses the middle of the field regularly. Even in college, the seam, skinny post…he was very effective using that part of the filed.
6. Based on what I’ve seen I think we can expect a lot of QB sneaks and KP diving for the pylon or first down marker while reaching to ball forward. (Those both seemed to be themes)
5. He’s a winner

So much has been made of him going against the non-starters in preseason, and the ACC isn’t known as the toughest conference, but what he brings is hard to defend. I don’t care how good the competition, it’s hard to defend a perfectly timed, placed pass, and that’s what he does again, and again, and again. If he improves at reading defenses, pocket presence and has time to throw, he’s going to score A LOT of points. And we already know he’s putting in the effort to improve.

I predict he’ll be the Steelers MVP this year. We have a real winner.
Have to be careful with mechanics. I am sure they work on it in practice but you don't want to mess their development up in the process. He did have some tendencies and what I can see he has worked on them.

He definitely wants to win. There is a drive a hunger there. We just have to remember this is his first season starting so perhaps we should expect the normal growing pains off and on.

Not that we shouldn't be excited his preseason play brings an element of that to the table.

Ben said that when he reached the NFL, he learned that a professional QB better learn to throw off-balance or off the wrong foot or while being tackled, or he will not succeed. He said the defenses are just too relentless and athletic to expect to have a clean pocket while throwing very often.

Mahomes is the most obvious example of this point, as was Ben. The fact Kenny throws REALLY well while moving left is a very good thing.

I’m liking what we’re seeing as well.

Having K. Green completely out of the picture will make a great difference.

Giving KP time in the pocket will be huge in all factors of the offense.

It is a good day to be a STEELERS fan !!!

Salute the nation

I’m liking what we’re seeing as well.

Having K. Green completely out of the picture will make a great difference.

Giving KP time in the pocket will be huge in all factors of the offense.

It is a good day to be a STEELERS fan !!!

Salute the nation
agreed 100%. regarding Green, I would not be surprised if he had a decent career at guard. I kinda think the Steelers set him up for failure

I’m all in on Kenny! I like his attitude and approach to his job. He’s got all the tools…. Size, good enough arm strength, accuracy, field vision, leadership, command of the offense, got it all. The way I see it only three things that can hold him back…. Health, OCanada, and Tomlin.
Let him play!

Even with the great preseason, I'm still not confident it will translate so easily to the regular season for the offense. I still expect moderate improvement from Pickett with year 3 being the big jump year. I just think the hype right now from some fans and national analysts is getting to be a bit much. However, I hope they're right and I'm wrong.

Even with the great preseason, I'm still not confident it will translate so easily to the regular season for the offense. I still expect moderate improvement from Pickett with year 3 being the big jump year. I just think the hype right now from some fans and national analysts is getting to be a bit much. However, I hope they're right and I'm wrong.

I cautious on all the hype as well. It will be pretty hard to live up to the expectations of so many.

Allow time to grow, will be appropriate pains along the way.

He will be facing teams with full starters playing and game planing against him as well.

He can do very well as long as he trusts his abilities and O’Canada isn’t a bluff At OC.

Salute the nation

A lot of young guys on the team, everyone will have to play above the mark to reach a higher objective. The plus side is having seasoned veterans sprinkled throughout the team.

My biggest concern is the OC and the ability for coaches to adapt the game plan when **** isn't working.

We will soon see. They'll certainly be some slugfests coming and cardiac moments. I would love to see them blow everyone out of the water, but that is a pipe dream longstanding.

You’re bring too rational. I’m dancin‘ on the bandwagon. Still plenty of room up here.

The anguish the Steelers cause me is involuntary, so if I see a reason to be optimistic…I’m taking it. Best part is…if they’re a disappointment, I can go back to bashing Tomlin :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, looking at the franchise type Qbs, a few have their great jump in year 2, but a good amount come in year 3 and a few don’t get there until year 4… thinking Pickett is definitely getting there year 2 is pretty overly hopeful… great if he does it, but I’m not holding my breath…..

I honestly think his biggest test of the season may well be next Sunday. If he plays well and comes away with a W, the arrow will certainly be pointing up.

I think that came with a good off-season for the team and a good preseason for Kenny. You figured with a lesser team and a lesser experienced QB they almost made the playoffs. Watt was injured a significant amount of time as well.

I am not sure Canada brings sunshine and rainbows to anyone's living room. Still there is enough to be excited about. I think this team is strong enough to spit out Ws in route to the playoffs. I think that is a reasonable hope. To go far beyond that brings more of a we'll see and less hype.

As far as it translating easily when has easy ever been this clubs motto?

I am just walking down that yellow brick road until it ends.

Yeah, looking at the franchise type Qbs, a few have their great jump in year 2, but a good amount come in year 3 and a few don’t get there until year 4… thinking Pickett is definitely getting there year 2 is pretty overly hopeful… great if he does it, but I’m not holding my breath…..
Wasn't there a highly regarded QB that won a SB in his second year?

I truly believe that this year he will take the next step more easily, because of the extra year @ Pitt. Everyone knocked him for it, but I have always believed that it was better for him in the long run. Another year of actual game experience in my book, is better than a year as the #3 QB in the NFL.

A lot of young guys on the team, everyone will have to play above the mark to reach a higher objective. The plus side is having seasoned veterans sprinkled throughout the team.

My biggest concern is the OC and the ability for coaches to adapt the game plan when **** isn't working.

We will soon see. They'll certainly be some slugfests coming and cardiac moments. I would love to see them blow everyone out of the water, but that is a pipe dream longstanding.
Yep…A very young team, and as it looks currently, a very deep team. The mix of seasoned veterans, young stars, and still untested/under-tested players is a great mix, and if these young players live up to the hype Steelers fans will be celebrating for years to come. It really does hinge a lot on Canada. Even if this group is talented and capable, if Canada’s playbook isn’t NFL worthy having to start over with a new coordinator next year mgiht interrupt the entire chemistry of the team.

But your point is right on. No doubt much of my optimism for Kenny is rooted in my expectations for the rest of the team. An improved O-line will undoubtedly improve the running game…along with an improved defense…all of it together can only make KPs job easier. I think our running game is going to be the best it’s been in years. Make opponents cheat into the box, and that will open up the field for Kenny.