• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Oscars viewing down 16%

ark steel

Reaction score
Lowest ever.

They think it is because of so many other options available and the availability of streaming......

but, Kobe Bryant won a #MeToo Oscar

basketball-stars-congratulate-kobe-bryant-on-oscar-win-136425578661402601-180305092023.jpg

They gave an award to a rapist? Hollywood is ****** up.

I bet nobody goes to see that Black Panther movie either!

I watched the whole thing. I do every year.

Really wasn't all that much politics. Mostly "Dreamers" stuff and a few comments about walls. The #metoo thing is really liberals eating liberals so it's enjoyable to watch them eat their own.

I thought there was some funny stuff. Laughed a few times. Didn't disagree with who won but I haven't seen too many of the best picture nominees this year (waiting for them to come out on redbox and such).

I am a staunch Trump supporter, but I'm not playing too many "boycotting" games on what I decide to watch or not watch based on politics. People are allowed to be wrong.

Isn’t everyone boycotting Hollywood?

Well, since Black Panther has been such a success and it hasn't just been black people going to see it, i'd suggest that you have missed the point.

People are still going to see movies (some of them) even if they don't agree with the politics of the people that make them. Black Panther made a political point but wasn't so overly preachy that it ruined the movie.

What they are not doing is watching self congratulatory ******** spout #metoo BS (a few years after giving Roman Polanski, who drugged and raped a 13-year old a standing ovation) and anti-gun propaganda (while surrounded by security carrying guns) or anti-Trump messages (while celebrating a womanizing Bill Clinton and a criminal Hillary).

If the awards were, simply, awards shows, people might watch. Not me, but others.

I am a staunch Trump supporter, but I'm not playing too many "boycotting" games on what I decide to watch or not watch based on politics. People are allowed to be wrong.

I didn't vote for Trump, but my "boycotting" is based upon how far they go. SNL used to go after both sides pretty well. I think they eased up on The Big O, though. They did some pretty good Hillary and Trump stuff. When it is overwhelming, i turn it off.

Technically, i may be indirectly boycotting people that i would never have wanted to see in anything anyway, i.e. Kathy Griffin.

I boycotted the Steelers when they signed the ******** dog murderer. I, certainly, refuse to see movies or TV shows with some actors or "celebrities". I also refuse to shop at some stores. I don't expect it to overly hurt their profits, but I don't have to give them my $ either.

I don't look upon celebrities as heroes so their little statues for this or that hold zero interest. Add to that their disdain for conservatives and I find something else to watch. But a 16% drop is pretty big, and you're seeing it all over the entertainment industry, not just hollywood.

I haven't gone to any movie in a year and a half. I could care less. Who gives a **** about paid pretenders patting themselves on the *** anyway? They've pretty much ruined it for me with the politics. I'm not putting another dime of mine into someone's pocket who ******* insults me with bullshit.

Lowest ever.

They think it is because of so many other options available and the availability of streaming......

If that's what they want to tell themselves, fine enough.

I forgot it was on...but I record **** these days...can't sit through tons of commercials and **** I don't care about.

I wonder when all the Hollywood libs are going to take all the guns out of their movies. When push comes to shove, they won’t put their money where their mouth is.

Well when the movie that won Best Picture is about a mute girl having an affair with an animated sea nymph.....I mean who wouldn't want to watch it???

I could give a **** about these twats. But glad to see Kobe getting a trophy. #hollywood is hypocritical

Isn’t everyone boycotting Hollywood?

Yeah, thank God for that one movie. It plugged one hole in the sinking ship.

Summer Box Office Officially Worst in Over a Decade

It’s official: The summer box office is the worst the movie industry has seen in more than a decade.

That’s without adjusting for inflation, or taking into account the rising cost of ticket sales. To make it very clear, a concerningly low number of people in North America went to the movie theater this summer. Big-budget flops and underperforming sequels were the main culprits as the summer season has finished with $3.8 billion in domestic ticket sales, according to data provided by comScore.

It’s a 14.6% drop from last summer, or one of the steepest declines in recent history. To find a summer season that earned less than 2017, one would have to look back to 2006 when the season posted $3.7 billion in grosses.

U.S. Movie Ticket Sales Plunged 6% in 2017, Thanks to Lousy Summer

Thanks to the worst summer in a decade, U.S. movie admissions slid 6% last year to 1.24 billion for the lowest number since 1995, the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO) has reported.

------------------------

Hollywood's as out of touch as Washington was in November 2016.

Double down Hollywood, double down. America's tuning you out.

Actually planning a matinee with the boys this weekend to see Death Wish. Pretty much if something interests me and the critics hate it, I make a plan for matinee and lunch. Other than that, redbox will do.

I do want to see that! Looks good. Might have to get out to a theater and promote gun toting vigilantism.

I didn't vote for Trump, but my "boycotting" is based upon how far they go. SNL used to go after both sides pretty well. I think they eased up on The Big O, though. They did some pretty good Hillary and Trump stuff. When it is overwhelming, i turn it off.

Technically, i may be indirectly boycotting people that i would never have wanted to see in anything anyway, i.e. Kathy Griffin.

I boycotted the Steelers when they signed the ******** dog murderer. I, certainly, refuse to see movies or TV shows with some actors or "celebrities". I also refuse to shop at some stores. I don't expect it to overly hurt their profits, but I don't have to give them my $ either.

I boycotted for Vick too. I guess I just like movies and I don't want politics to turn every movie experience into me analyzing whether the "message" is left or right.

I went to see Black Panther with my 11 year old son 8 days ago and I liked it. Even though it is CLEARLY a black movie. I mean they push it down your throat how much of a "black" movie it is. Any chance they get. Every joke, every hand gesture, every pop culture reference.

But I don't really care. It was a good movie. Story was good. Bad guy was really well done. As far as super hero movies (which are just the "westerns" of the 21st century), it was good. Look, I hate to break it to black people, but it's not going to be my favorite super hero movie ever (that would be Deadpool), but I'm glad Black Panther was made. I really am. If I am oblivious to some hidden "hero bias" that all my super hero and fantasy and science fiction protagonists are the same color and sex as me and THAT is what made me like them, okay I'll play along and let you do your thing as the anti-thesis of everything I grew up with. That's fine. It really is.

Believe me, I like Wonder Woman too and I'm not female (damn Gal Gadot is hot!) so I don't know what that's supposed to say about me. I always wonder why a connection to good protagonists has to be about whether they are the "same sex/race" as you. Never really made sense to me but then I guess I'm privileged to have most white and most male.

I am refusing to let politics ruin my love of movies. I really am.

I could give a **** about these twats. But glad to see Kobe getting a trophy. #hollywood is hypocritical

Here is his short movie by the way.

I actually liked it although I do NOT think it should have won over the some of the other nominees. Just my opinion. But it's good.

I forgot it was on...but I record **** these days...can't sit through tons of commercials and **** I don't care about.

When the tv is on at someones house, watching commercials drives me crazy.

I have never watched the Oscars or any of the other stuff. I just don't care what those people have to say.