• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Playoff Hopes: No Mistakes

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers need a good stretch of games in order to have a shot of making the playoffs this season. The season thus far has been a definite success and utter failure in the same way. On one hand, T.J. Watt may win the Defensive Player of the Year Award, and you also have Ben Roethlisberger who appears to be struggling to perform at the same level from a few years ago. There’s a lot on both sides but that is for another time. Right now, the team needs to make everything work together to try and make a playoff push. It is presumably the last year of their current starting quarterback, and it may be a long time before they find a replacement of a similar caliber.

According to the website 538.com, the Steelers need to win each of their remaining two games in order to have a chance to make the playoffs. The possible scenarios:

1. Two wins. In this scenario, the first home game win will come against the Cleveland Browns who are currently last in the AFC North. After that, the final game will be on the road to face the probable first or second seed Baltimore Ravens. If that happens, the Steelers have a 67% chance of making the playoffs and a 31% chance of winning the division.
  2. Two losses. 0% chance of making the playoffs. The season ends and the Steelers go 7-9-1, making it the first losing season under head coach, Mike Tomlin. Sounds like a bunch of hoopla.
  3. One win, one loss. Either way you slice it, there is a 0% chance the Steelers make the playoffs, no matter who they defeat.
  4. One win, one tie. In this scenario, there is a chance the Steelers make the playoffs. It depends on where the tie ends up because if the team wins against the Browns and ties against the Ravens, the squad has a 13% chance to make the playoffs. If the team ties against the Browns and wins against the Ravens, this results in a 23% chance for the Steelers.
  5. One loss, one tie. Another example of either way you slice it, the team cannot make the playoffs. The team is unable to make the playoffs if they lose a game.
  6. Two ties. The final possible combination that yields an already similar result. Two ties equal a zero percent chance of playoffs. Big yikes.

In order for the Steelers to even sniff the playoffs, they need to win these final two games. Plain and simple.

Do you think that the team will be able to make a run at the playoffs or will the odds not be in their favor? Will Roethlisberger be able to carry the team to the playoffs while the defense holds their own? Let me know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Two thoughts:

1. I don't see any way this team, if it plays like it did last week, can eke out more than one more win, most likely this week against the Clowns. I think then that there's zero chance of making the playoffs as of right now.
2. If, by some combination of miracles, the Steelers do get a playoff spot we have already seen what their chances would be against a high seed on the road.

So, why are we hoping for a playoff spot at this point?

We are the FIRST team in NFL history to trail by at least 23 points in 3 straight road games. Incredible. That includes winless teams like the expansion 0-14 Tampa Bay team and the winless Lions and Browns teams. Great job Tomlin.

Two thoughts:

1. I don't see any way this team, if it plays like it did last week, can eke out more than one more win, most likely this week against the Clowns. I think then that there's zero chance of making the playoffs as of right now.
2. If, by some combination of miracles, the Steelers do get a playoff spot we have already seen what their chances would be against a high seed on the road.

So, why are we hoping for a playoff spot at this point?
You always hope to win. Even when you think the team is incapable of going far. Hoping is different than expecting as I hope for a win. I expect them to be where I predicted 8-8 and 1. Which is off from my initial prediction of 11 or 12 wins my memory is cloudy that far back. I initially thought they would do better. They made a lot of moves obviously not the right moves in hindsight.

You always hope to win. Even when you think the team is incapable of going far. Hoping is different than expecting as I hope for a win. I expect them to be where I predicted 8-8 and 1. Which is off from my initial prediction of 11 or 12 wins my memory is cloudy that far back. I initially thought they would do better. They made a lot of moves obviously not the right moves in hindsight.
We all hold out hope, they could run the table and hoist #7. Logically, not so much. This team could as easily win the next two or lose the next two.
My expectations aren't high, which makes watching the games much less stressful.

I always HOPE for a win regardless of the odds. It's been a long while since one could legitimately expect a win. With Cowher teams one could expect and could be pleased in the end. With Tolin teams.............................. not so much on the expect part because even the lowest teams have beaten the Tomlin led steelers sure win expectations of a win game.

Salute the nation

Every week I say and want the Steelers to win. Nothing is going to change now, crap show or not. It didn't change in the 80s either. Hey, Ben's last ride too. I mean, let's do this.

That being said, this has been a crap show all year. Steelers' coaches are all out of their league. When drunk dudes at home can call 90% of the offensive plays coming and can call when the D will switch from zone to man etc and where they won't give over the top help ... surely the million dollar coaches on the other side can. Such an ugly way for Ben and the Steelers (and Ben) to go out.

I guess with Ben soon to be gone Tomlin can finally show us what a team of his players can do. LOL.

I predicted 8-8-1 to begin the season (as a joke at MT’s precious no losing season streak) and now we stare right down the barrel at it.

The only fitting end to this maddening season would be to handle biz with the Stains, as usual, and then bring on the ultimate heart attack game vs the Rats!

We’ll finally show up for a first half vs Rats and go to halftime 10-10 and then Tucker will hit a 75 yard FG with seconds remaining to take a 22-20 lead (of course the Browns are crushing the Bungles as well)

Ben will sit on a bench and ponder retirement again and he’ll decide to give it “one more go” after getting so close again.
Then we press the reset button to watch the same damn movie next year too with the whole cast of mediocrity back intact.

Duh winning

I'm only watching as its Ben's last ride. If the Steelers are going to be this pathetic next year, I got better things to do than to waste my time on this very un-entertaining product. Outside of Minkah, Watt, Johnson and Muuuuuth...maybe Claypool when he has his head out of his ***, there really isn't much to watch.

Reactions: GMC
I'm only watching as its Ben's last ride. If the Steelers are going to be this pathetic next year, I got better things to do than to waste my time on this very un-entertaining product. Outside of Minkah, Watt, Johnson and Muuuuuth...maybe Claypool when he has his head out of his ***, there really isn't much to watch.
Don't forget Cam! He's been a beast this year. Our "one man defensive line".