• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The inconsistencies of Tomlin

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Now don't get me wrong. Okorofor should have been replaced by Jones because of play. And the way he voiced displeasure for offense was wrong........but he was right. He only said what others thought. Born out by OC being fired four weeks later. DJ has been embarrassing for two weeks straight. Nothing real. Just not a good look in the room in my opinion.

I think a lot of the rookies nor starting from day has to do with their bodies/minds not being used to a full NFL seasons. College teams play a lot less games

Honestly
We really don’t know what hsppened.
It must of not of been good at all..

Honestly
We really don’t know what hsppened.
It must of not of been good at all..
We know Okorafor has been a good teamate and no problem on the team. I feel we know what he said (let's just take knees). We know DJ got in a dust up with one of the leaders of the defense two weeks ago. We know he stood there on a run play and then looked at a fumble on the ground. Then after the game when asked what he was doing he said well he was blocking or whatever.

Who ya gonna replace DJ with? Sitting him right now hurts the team more than it hurts DJ (it's not like sitting him is going to affect his stats). With Okorafor, you had Jones in the background waiting to get his shot and capable of playing at least as well as Okorafor. With DJ, there's no such guy.

Who ya gonna replace DJ with? Sitting him right now hurts the team more than it hurts DJ (it's not like sitting him is going to affect his stats). With Okorafor, you had Jones in the background waiting to get his shot and capable of playing at least as well as Okorafor. With DJ, there's no such guy.
But then you make statements about team discipline by depth.

But then you make statements about team discipline by depth.
Or you sit him. Start an inferior player, possibly lose the game and have to hear all the moaning and gnashing of teeth. Catch 22. Might as well put the best product out there, handle discipline "in house" and leave fans to moan about whatever they want to.

Tomlin says they'll tolerate you until they can replace you. Okorafor had a replacement ready to go on the roster (a replacement who should've been starting since Week 1). There just isn't another receiver on this roster who can replace DJ, so he's not going to get benched and he can keep voicing his frustration or showing up his QB with body language on the field.

Tomlin says they'll tolerate you until they can replace you. Okorafor had a replacement ready to go on the roster (a replacement who should've been starting since Week 1). There just isn't another receiver on this roster who can replace DJ, so he's not going to get benched and he can keep voicing his frustration or showing up his QB with body language on the field.
Pretty much. So, since we know this, what's the issue? Seems pretty consistent in his approach. Okorafor was replaced because they had a replacement ready. DJ will be replaced when they have a replacement ready. Seems to me that Calvin Austin should be kicking himself in the *** for not being able to be that replacement.
But, in the examples you're talking about, Tomlin is being consistent.

Pretty much. So, since we know this, what's the issue? Seems pretty consistent in his approach. Okorafor was replaced because they had a replacement ready. DJ will be replaced when they have a replacement ready. Seems to me that Calvin Austin should be kicking himself in the *** for not being able to be that replacement.
But, in the examples you're talking about, Tomlin is being consistent.
I can't even disagree with Tomlin's approach. Whether you want to use DJ, AB, or any other player on any team acting out, it's really hard to bench a talented player. Sure you want to punish them, but at the expense of the success of the team? Tomlin can't bench a guy like DJ without hurting the offense. You have to keep working with him to expect more and hope that he steps up.

I can't even disagree with Tomlin's approach. Whether you want to use DJ, AB, or any other player on any team acting out, it's really hard to bench a talented player. Sure you want to punish them, but at the expense of the success of the team? Tomlin can't bench a guy like DJ without hurting the offense. You have to keep working with him to expect more and hope that he steps up.
While keeping one eye (or scouting department) firmly on the draft/FA to replace him if he doesn't step up or, to fill out the WR room if he does. Going to need to look at a WR this year anyway since DJ only has 1 more season left on his contract.

Very good point.

ALSO

Durring the “little chest” episode, it came out as Tomlin saying something to the effect of

“I’ll put up with you until I can replace you” ,………… this fits the mold of DJ’s current qualm.

Salute the nation

He has one td this year. Right? It's so hard for Tomlin to replace that production?

There is always unrest in Tomlins locker room.

You have to build with talent and character. I believe they likely get to a one and done playoff spot. Do we know Moore is better than Okorafor?

You have to build with talent and character. I believe they likely get to a one and done playoff spot. Do we know Moore is better than Okorafor?

They need to win at least a playoff game ,should they make it. Getting smashed for the fourth time in a row isn't going to sit well with the natives.

IMO, the best OL would be Jones-Seumalo-Cole-Daniels-Okorafor.

I had thought Moore beat out Chukes in one training camp.

If They would have had Moore start training camp and then the season at RT, same with Jones at LT, we would have the better OL to date. My opinion of course but those coaches see & know more than I. Chukes should have been depth start of train ing camp.

I don’t want to hear the “rookies never start” routine as Moore started and worse yet, GREEN started day one rookie season. JONES is about 3 categories up from them.

Salute the nation

This is a kinda strange thread, to me anyway. I have also had some beverages so there is that.

I actually think the Chuks thing played out differently. One theory being Tomlin knew Chuks was blowing loads every game but we know Tomlin is loyal/stupid/whatever (depends on the guy). Chuks did say something. What didn't matter. Now Tomlin has a reason and can make the replacement. A cowardly way to get to that point but ok.

On the other hand, a theory would suggest that the Minkah/Diontae thing wasn't even related to the foregoing in any way outside of Tomlin not being the players' coach or having the locker room control we are always told. To be fair, offensive players being pissed at defensive players and vice versa has been a football thing since football was, well, a thing.

Given the above, Diontae's situation and Chuks are inapposite (and neither really have anything to do with discipline).

I had thought Moore beat out Chukes in one training camp.

If They would have had Moore start training camp and then the season at RT, same with Jones at LT, we would have the better OL to date. My opinion of course but those coaches see & know more than I. Chukes should have been depth start of train ing camp.

I don’t want to hear the “rookies never start” routine as Moore started and worse yet, GREEN started day one rookie season. JONES is about 3 categories up from them.
It's possible that Dan Moore just isn't very good. Same issues every year of his career.

It's possible that Dan Moore just isn't very good. Same issues every year of his career.

I wonder where Chukes fits into that chart. Keep in mind he goes against, generally speaking, weaker opponents .

I‘m not set on Moore, I was just setting out an example of hindsight.

Today, we want the BEST we have starting.

Thanks for the insight SteelerFan448.

Salute the nation

While keeping one eye (or scouting department) firmly on the draft/FA to replace him if he doesn't step up or, to fill out the WR room if he does. Going to need to look at a WR this year anyway since DJ only has 1 more season left on his contract.
What did we do for all of those games where DJ was hurt? Did we lose them all?

There is always unrest in Tomlins locker room.
And a LOT of it can be traced to lack of communication/lying to players and him not just manning up and telling them the truth about playing time: self-inflicted wounds. For all his ballyhoo about how straight forward he is, he's not always and this is the product of it. Blount, Harrison, the LB from KC, etc., he wasn't upfront with their playing time as promised.

What did we do for all of those games where DJ was hurt? Did we lose them all?
Sucked. Except for the back shoulder fade to Pickens that we would hit occasionally. But, mostly sucked.