• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trade down opportunities in draft

ZACKB

Reaction score
Guys,

Ideally I would like to trade down and acquire more picks. I see two obvious trading down opportunities:

1. Trade down with Miami. If Lewan falls to us they may want to leapfrog Baltimore, who 100% would grab him and use him at RT. We would still be able to get a good corner or wr in Miami's spot.

2. Trade with San Fran. They have a big issue with Aldon Smith and need a pass rusher. If Anthony Barr falls to sue, they may want to pounce. We could get an extra 2nd and third rounder. In San Fran's spot we could grab a falling corner, a wr, or maybe even Nix.

I think both are realistic.Thoughts?

How do you know you want to trade down if you don't even know who's available at #15 yet?

I hope people don't really believe all those ridiculous mock draft speculations.

How do you know you want to trade down if you don't even know who's available at #15 yet?

I hope people don't really believe all those ridiculous mock draft speculations.

There is no one that will be realistically be there that I am dying to have, although Jake Matthews would be sweet. All the 1st round corners, which we should strongly consider have holes. I would happily take any of the top 4 anywhere in rd 1. I don't think Evans falls at all. No f''n way.

In my mind, if Matthews and Evans are gone I trade down. Don't even say Gilbert....Dennard is better fit with the Jets, so we could even trade down and still get Gilbert...if he is your guy.

If Nix or Ebron are there I'd take em.

This team has a lot of holes to fill.

8-8 teams can't be too picky.

No way I take Nix at 1.15 .This is a passing league and he will prob be a 2 down player. If we can get him late in rd after a trade down...or even rd 2, then yeah, I'm all for Nix there. This is a passing league now and we need corners. We could also always draft Justin Ellis inn rd 3-4 and he can play solid 2 downs of NT.

Ebron is overrated and has suspect hands.

Guys,

Ideally I would like to trade down and acquire more picks. I see two obvious trading down opportunities:

1. Trade down with Miami. If Lewan falls to us they may want to leapfrog Baltimore, who 100% would grab him and use him at RT. We would still be able to get a good corner or wr in Miami's spot.

2. Trade with San Fran. They have a big issue with Aldon Smith and need a pass rusher. If Anthony Barr falls to sue, they may want to pounce. We could get an extra 2nd and third rounder. In San Fran's spot we could grab a falling corner, a wr, or maybe even Nix.

I think both are realistic.Thoughts?
If we can pick up a 2nd round pick, trade down in round 1 and still get who we want then I'm ok with that because of the holes we do have. We could even trade that extra 2nd round pick to get an extra pick in the 3rd but that's a big gamble.

No way I take Nix at 1.15 .This is a passing league and he will prob be a 2 down player. If we can get him late in rd after a trade down...or even rd 2, then yeah, I'm all for Nix there. This is a passing league now and we need corners. We could also always draft Justin Ellis inn rd 3-4 and he can play solid 2 downs of NT.

Ebron is overrated and has suspect hands.

This is the weakest defense up the middle we've had in 20 years

we need a big guy with a motor - hell yeah I'd take Nix, you still have tot stop the run

1398092376000-GTY-185379314.jpg

Ben wants a tall receiver and that's what I aim to give him....it's all about Ben now, he doesn't have many 8-8 seasons left to get us to that magical wildcard slot.

Pass on Nix, who took a big step back last season. And now has injury/surgery concerns.

As for trading down, I'd take just about anything. As far as guys I'd want in the 12-18 range, only Clinton-Dix and Beckham intrigue me enough to consider staying put. If they're both gone, the top guys on my board are guys we can still choose among if we deal down into the 20-30 range. Guys like Hageman, Jimmie Ward, Shazier, Jernigan. Get ANYTHING at all for trading down and getting the same guy I would have taken at 15? Yes sir. Comes down to two options: take one of those guys at 15 -OR- take one of those guys at 25 and get a 2nd or 3rd thrown in.

Idioteque...why are you mentioning safeties. Shamarko is being groomed to take over for Troy and we just signed Mitchell. I am willing to bet we will not take a safety until rounds 4-7. Jernigan is more of a 4-3 guy and Shazier may be too small to get off blocks and move through "garbage". If we stay put I think corner is the pick....wr is a darkhorse pick for me. Spike is right on with Nix...but I would love him in rd 2. If we don't trade down I want to go corner, then Nix.

All positions are in play except QB and RB in the first. If the value is at safety and you cant trade out take the safety. You said it yourself its a passing league. Sharmarko can play nickle corner.

I don't know if we need more "picks" over the "need for talent". That being said, I think - after much delibration - that we should stay put and HOPEFULLY C.J Mosely is the pick at 1.15...

The only way I trade down is if a team gives me their second round pick.

Idioteque...why are you mentioning safeties. Shamarko is being groomed to take over for Troy and we just signed Mitchell. I am willing to bet we will not take a safety until rounds 4-7. Jernigan is more of a 4-3 guy and Shazier may be too small to get off blocks and move through "garbage". If we stay put I think corner is the pick....wr is a darkhorse pick for me. Spike is right on with Nix...but I would love him in rd 2. If we don't trade down I want to go corner, then Nix.

BPA, BPA, BPA. If you go about trying to fill all of your perceived needs, you end up drafting Aaron Curry and Tyson Jackson in the top 5 because you just needed a warm body so badly, you didn't care about the quality. It's also not smart to look at your depth chart in April and assume that the likes of Shamarko and Mitchell are guaranteed to lock down your safety spots at an All Pro level in perpetuity. I like Shamarko, but he's anything but a sure thing, and as much as I like the signing of Mitchell, he's had precisely one good year to this point. If the BPA is a safety, then the BPA is a safety, and I'd take an A safety over a B- ILB just because we seem to need one more.

Jernigan played about 68% snaps on our shaded on the center. In other words, he was usually used as a nose. In my estimation, he is simply not fast enough to explode through a gap. I think he'd be a decent 4-3 guy, but a Pro Bowl 3-4 nose.

All positions are in play except QB and RB in the first. If the value is at safety and you cant trade out take the safety. You said it yourself its a passing league. Sharmarko can play nickle corner.

This right here.

It all depends on who is there and what teams are offering. I do not want to see them run to the podium like last year. Entertain some offers, make a few phone calls even if you have someone you want there don't rush.

If Matthew is there I have to get top ten value to trade. But let's say Odell Beckham Jr. is the guy you want (that's my guess) and Miami wants to move up. You should be able to get their 3rd move down 4 spots and the only team that might be interested in Beckham is the jets. To me that's worth the risk.

San Fran is a little riskier since you'd be dropped 15 spots. Now you would get their 2nd, 3rd and probably 2015 4th so depending on how much you are in love with a player will determine if you pull the trigger. I personally would unless Matthews, Evans, or Gilbert were on the board.

let the smokescreens begin

Pittsburgh likes Odell Beckham and Brandin Cooks at wide receiver, and one or both should be there at No. 15 if that’s the direction the Steelers go—and they need to replenish the position after losing two receivers in free agency in two years

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/21/2014-nfl-draft-rumors-monday-morning-quarterback/

Cooks is good, but smaller. He is basically Wheaton. I don't believe in Odell either, it's a smokescreen. I understand BPA, but you have to weigh BPA and need. We aren't going to take a safety, rb, OG, or OT in rd 1. I think the FO wants to see what Munchak can do with Adams and Dilbert, so no to Lewan. I also think they are gonna see how Williams, Spence, and Moats do at ILB...so not to Mosely. We do need a DE/NT, depending on where we can move McClendon. If we draft a NT Steve moves to DE, etc. Maybe on TE, but Ebron has suspect hands.

That all being said I realistically see us drafting a wr or corner in rd 1...maybe Nix or a TE if we trade down a lot.

If there is no trade down I would do Gilbert, then Nix/Tuitt in rd 2. Maybe you can get a wr in rd 3.

FordFairlane:

I think we basically agree, but some are saying Gilbert is stiff and need some polish. I would love to trade down with San Fran and get their 2nd, and 3rd, plus their 1st, obviously. Loo at the trade chart. I would then take whatever top 4 corner is left...maybe Fuller or Roby, Nix, or maybe Benjamin/Shazier. Not sure. Ideally I would ahve a corner drop..no to Verrett...he is 5'9''

Cooks is good, but smaller. He is basically Wheaton. I don't believe in Odell either, it's a smokescreen. I understand BPA, but you have to weigh BPA and need. We aren't going to take a safety, rb, OG, or OT in rd 1. I think the FO wants to see what Munchak can do with Adams and Dilbert, so no to Lewan. I also think they are gonna see how Williams, Spence, and Moats do at ILB...so not to Mosely. We do need a DE/NT, depending on where we can move McClendon. If we draft a NT Steve moves to DE, etc. Maybe on TE, but Ebron has suspect hands.

That all being said I realistically see us drafting a wr or corner in rd 1...maybe Nix or a TE if we trade down a lot.

If there is no trade down I would do Gilbert, then Nix/Tuitt in rd 2. Maybe you can get a wr in rd 3.

As I said, it's dangerous to look at your depth chart and just assume you have starters pegged for 10 years. Or even two or three years. Take safety, for example. Shamarko is an unknown commodity and, as much as I like him, not really a blue-chip guy. Mitchell has one good season on his resume. You can't make these decisions in April, assuming that you've got this position or that position locked down.

If you start narrowing down your choices to only 1-3 possible positions, you are almost guaranteed to reach. If you could have a stud FS or a pretty good TE, which would you take?

I'm 100% sure they plan on Mitchell and Shamarko starting for the next couple of years after Troy leaves. TE is an option, but Ebron has so-so hands...do you take him at 1.15 then? I say no. Either Gilbert or Dennard will be there. Unless we trade down I feel quite sure we take one of them...assuming Matthews and Evans are gone. Corner is good this year and we also have a huge need since Ike is retiring soon.

Cooks is 5'-9". NO MIDGETS AT WR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We finally need to get a big and reasonably quick WR. He doesn't have to be a burner.

I was afraid two months ago the pick is going to be Marquis Lee and I'm still afraid that's who I think Colbert is going to take.

He's the guy they are keeping under wraps to the media that no one is reporting on. They loved to leak Beckham and Cooks when Lee is the guy they really, really want.

Lee is pretty damn good. If we traded down a bunch I we maybe be ok with us taking him. He is like Santonio without the headaches.

If Lewan is still on the board and we are not interested, I want Miami's pick #19 AND Dion Jordan.

I have a feeling it will be Dennard at 1:15 and then and trade up in Rd 2 to grab Kelvin Benjamin.

I'm 100% sure they plan on Mitchell and Shamarko starting for the next couple of years after Troy leaves. TE is an option, but Ebron has so-so hands...do you take him at 1.15 then? I say no. Either Gilbert or Dennard will be there. Unless we trade down I feel quite sure we take one of them...assuming Matthews and Evans are gone. Corner is good this year and we also have a huge need since Ike is retiring soon.

They can plan on it all they want, it doesn't mean they should assume it's settled for several years and move on from it. Both are unproven options as long-term starters. If you're faced with the option of a blue-chipper at FS or a red-chipper at a "need" position, going for the need is poor strategy.