• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who is the most deserving Head coach not in the hall of Fame

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I was playing around with projections for Mike Tomlin, who should already have a pretty solid HOF case, and at only 50 may have another two decades to add to it if he wants (maybe not all here ,lol)
But it got me thinking about the guys not in…

There are 2 absolute lock’s not eligible yet, Andy Reid whom I will cheer for when he gets in, and Bill Belicheater… who I hope gets **** on during his ceremony.. preferably by a flying pig…

There are 3 more that are extremely likely to eventually get in but aren’t eligible yet
Tomlin
Pete Carroll
Sean Payton
And two more very likely candidates that aren’t eligible yet in Mike McCarthy and John Harbaugh
I will expect that each of the guys above eventually gets in… especially since save for the two locks and Carroll, all the rest are young enough that they probably have a decade or two to add to their resumes

Now for the eligible ones currently omitted…
There are five that have some good stats that I would absolutely not put in:
5. Marvin Lewis… before you laugh, there is a case for him, I just don’t buy it. The guy is top 30 all time in wins and has an above 500 record… but he also was one of the best defensive coordinators of his era, had a hand in the zone blitz popularization, and some of his defensive tactics became staples across the nfl… but as a head coach he not only never won a championship game, he never even won a playoff game.. maybe one day when they truly recognize coordinators he may have a place, but not now
4. John Fox. Fox has the bar minimum credentials.. top 30 wins and one of four coaches to get an afc and nfc team to the super bowl… he also has Pittsburgh ties, but I can’t think of one innovative thing he did… he was vanilla good, but just more hall of extremely good than hall of fame
3. Jeff Fisher.., Fisher won a very respectable 173 game, and he took a team to the Super Bowl , famously losing by one yard… but in 22 seasons he only had a winning record in six of them… he gets credit for coaching through two different teams relocating… but ultimately he was mediocre
2. Chuck Knox… Knox had all the credentials except getting to a Super Bowl… he won division titles with several teams and had multiple AP coach of the year awards.. he played in a decent amount of conference championships, but his lack of winners one of those keeps him out… if Knox had been anything innovative or a tad more successful he would be in.. as it is he toed the line of HOF greatness without ever crossing it
1. Marty ******* shottenhiemer. 200 regular season wins, massive regular season success with multiple teams.., complete disaster in the playoffs… in 21 years of coaching he won double digit games 11 times, but only had 5 playoff wins to show for it…
I do expect Shottenheimer to one day get in, but I personally wouldn’t vote for him because he played too conservative in the playoffs and it killed his team every time

Now the guys who should get in.

5. George Siefert.. yeah he had a super short career, and yeah he inherited a great team.. but he managed to keep that team going for eight seasons of double digit wins and two championships… people really underestimate the job he did there following a legend .. he was completely shafted by the 49rs at the end of his time there. He left san fran with the second highest win percentage of all time, the most wins in 49rs history, and two Super Bowl wins… his failure In Carolina was directly tied to him also being the GM.. of all the borderline guys I like him the best.. despite his short resume
4. Mike Holmgren. 161 regular season wins, went to the super bowl 3 times and took two different teams. The guy has 13 playoff wins(7th all time)… and was an offensive genius. he should have already been in…
3. Dan Reeves. 190 wins… FOUR ******* trips to the super bowl, with two different teams.. 11 playoff wins… not having won a super bowl is keeping him out, but he has better credentials than the other non championship hof coaches like Levy or Grant…
2. Tom Coughlin… I hated the dude, but he has 170 wins and two pretty iconic championships. He will be in sooner or later
1. Mike Shanahan. How in the world isn’t this guy in? The threshold for consideration is somewhere around 110-120 wins with some super Bowl success or innovation to the game… this guy had 170 wins, a .550 winning percentage, won back to back superbowls, and is the godfather of the modern zone blocking scheme.. his omission is glaring

I know it doesn’t mean jack sh,……. But he will lead the new NW wing of consecutive non-losing season recipients.

Tomlin will get in, but other than win % and riding a HOF QB to season wins…… what else is he known for? 1-SB ?

Salute the nation

I know it doesn’t mean jack sh,……. But he will lead the new NW wing of consecutive non-losing season recipients.

Tomlin will get in, but other than win % and riding a HOF QB to season wins…… what else is he known for? 1-SB ?

Salute the nation
He is great at turning over stones , painting barns with proper brushes, and mixing chemicals in the lab. He has an exquisite stare as well.

I think Marty should get in
Marty is the only eligible head coach with at least 200 wins who is not in, due mostly to his lack of playoff wins. If Shades gets in then it’s pretty hard to keep Marty out.

Marty isn’t in because he coached for two decades and never once even made it to a championship game… you don’t have to win one to get in the HOF, but without making it to a couple, or at least one, it’s nearly impossible… shottenheimer and Knox are the textbook examples of how super conservative coaching works in the regular season but fails miserably once talented teams with good gameplans for your strengths and weaknesses are on the schedule…

Cowher came from his coaching tree and Cowhers two really successful seasons were the two he cut the offense open the most.. if he goes into that Indy playoff game with a shottenheimer gameplan, he doesn’t ever win a super bowl and his HOF credentials are greatly diminished..

Marty just couldn’t ever get out of his own way in the postseason… bully football hasn’t worked there since the 70’s or maybe mid 80’s and he just couldn’t adapt

Salute the nation

He has some stuff going for him… regular season wins, like i said the floor is like 110 wins and a positive winning percentage… Tomlin is only 50 and already has 161 wins and a winning percentage over .600… he won a championship and went to a second one… he has 8 playoff wins, good enough for like 26th all time… he has a losing record in the playoffs, but it’s comparable to other hall of fame coaches with comparable accomplishments like Tony Dungy who got in with a sub 500 playoff win %…
He also has some innovative things he did, primarily when they merged the dlb front 7 with the dungy secondary…

He is definitely a top 40 all time coach in the league… its not his fault that nfl head coaches are, for the most part, journeyman cogs regurgitating the same strategies that they learned decades ago… there aren’t a lot of really great coaches in the nfl history…

Schottenheimer deserves to be in the HOF.

And the criticism of Cowher for being "conservative" in the playoffs is bullshit. O'Donnell threw 50 passes in the loss to the crappy Chargers team. He was "conservative" because he had Neil O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart at QB. Once he had a good QB, his teams won and won and won and won, with as many passes as it took to win the game.

Bud Grant never won a Super Bowl But is in the Hall of fame. Granted he went to 4

Schottenheimer deserves to be in the HOF.

And the criticism of Cowher for being "conservative" in the playoffs is bullshit. O'Donnell threw 50 passes in the loss to the crappy Chargers team. He was "conservative" because he had Neil O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart at QB. Once he had a good QB, his teams won and won and won and won, with as many passes as it took to win the game.

Conservative does not mean purely running … cowhers offense before he learned that bully football wasn’t the best plan in the playoffs was to simply out physical tge other team… we ran tge same plays sometimes a dozen or two times a game… most of our passes were screens or te and rb dump offs… after 95 we’d occasionally throw in a gadget play here and there…

Bud Grant never won a Super Bowl But is in the Hall of fame. Granted he went to 4
Same with Marv Levy… you don’t have to win a championship, just play for them…
Marty’s issue is he went 13 years without a playoff win… and it would have been 15 years had it not been for a last minute joe montana 4 th down 4th quarter td to send the game to OT after a blocked punt against us in 93… that was the only season that he ever won more than one playoff game, and it nearly didn’t happen at all

Same with Marv Levy… you don’t have to win a championship, just play for them…
Marty’s issue is he went 13 years without a playoff win… and it would have been 15 years had it not been for a last minute joe montana 4 th down 4th quarter td to send the game to OT after a blocked punt against us in 93… that was the only season that he ever won more than one playoff game, and it nearly didn’t happen at all
Not many coaches in the nfl have won 200 games. that is huge

I don't think there is any question Tomlin gets in. I have my feelings about that. I could and have gone on and on about that. In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven. Deserves got nothing to do with it. He will be first ballot.

Dan Reeves. His last five seasons hurt his overall record, but four Super Bowl appearances with two teams is impressive.

Dan Reeves. His last five seasons hurt his overall record, but four Super Bowl appearances with two teams is impressive.

Good choice. Great choice, in fact.

299 wins, 26-16 in the playoffs, slightly higher winning percentage in the playoffs than the regular season. That tells me his teams could beat the best.

Ahh, edit. His coaching record includes time as an Asst. Coach with the Cowboys. His PERSONAL head coaching record is 192-166-2 and 11-9 in the playoffs.

Also, I think he is already in the HOF.

So goddammit, terrible choice, SF448.

Edit the edit: Nope, not in the HOF yet.

Dammit, SF448, you are making me look bad!!

Last edited:
True, but not many coaches coached 21 years and never made it to a championship game either
True. But 200 wins as a HC has got to be close to top 10 all time. add in his coaching tree and one would think he would be hall of fame material

True. But 200 wins as a HC has got to be close to top 10 all time. add in his coaching tree and one would think he would be hall of fame material
He is 8th… when he retired he was 6th all time… the coaching tree angle is a really interesting take… I’ve never heard of a presenter using it but I can’t see how that is much different than a major innovation in strategy or scheme

I don't think there is any question Tomlin gets in. I have my feelings about that. I could and have gone on and on about that. In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven. Deserves got nothing to do with it. He will be first ballot.
Frankly I thought Cowher was marginal and might not have got in any time soon if he wasn’t on TV every week but now Shades will get in because he has similar stats. Apparently we’ve got to a place where every coach who’s won a Super Bowl will get in.

Frankly I thought Cowher was marginal and might not have got in any time soon if he wasn’t on TV every week but now Shades will get in because he has similar stats. Apparently we’ve got to a place where every coach who’s won a Super Bowl will get in.

Doug Pederson approves of this message.