• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2015 Penguins Thread -now with 100% more Kessel and a STANLEY CUP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the expansion won't happen till after next year, so we can keep playing them both till then if they want to, but the closer to the trade time the less teams will be willing to give up

But Mark Madden's officially in favor of trading Fleury this offseason, so I guess the PR campaign has started.

I think Fleury stays on one more season. Murray will be the guy from here on out. My opinion

I think Fleury stays on one more season. Murray will be the guy from here on out. My opinion

If MM is the guy from here on out, MAF will ask for a trade. He'll want to start and why shouldn't he? He was having a heck of a season before his concussion. Also, with the salary cap supposedly going down, that may be another reason to move him earlier. Going to be interesting, for sure.

If MM is the guy from here on out, MAF will ask for a trade. He'll want to start and why shouldn't he? He was having a heck of a season before his concussion. Also, with the salary cap supposedly going down, that may be another reason to move him earlier. Going to be interesting, for sure.

I think MAF sticks around one more year to try to win his job back. From what the media says about Fleury, he's a team guy. To see him throw the Pens under the bus would be a shocker. Murray on the other hand is young, got through a tough playoff series, and won a championship---hence makes Murray the #1 guy at goalie so far. I agree with your input on the salary cap issue perhaps getting rid of Fleury sooner. So this is gonna be a tough one. Fleury did play lights out when the team was down. So....gonna be tough

Need a goalie need team trade partner - Dallas, Calgary ? What they got?

The paper that shall not be named has an article stating he will likely ask for a trade if Murray wins the job next season.

Congrats to the Pens. I was so superstitious through the playoffs, i was out of town during the first game so I taped it. I did the same thing for each game and watched the next day. I messed up , my wife and I were heading out west to some National Parks, decided to go to Pittsburgh and sit out side for game five, we all know what happened. So we headed West got up at 5:30 in Amarillo Texas to watch replay of game six, I bet our neighbors hated us. What a ride loved how we became a team and truly dominated the playoffs.

If the Pens can, get another quality defensemen or another center for Fleury. I don't think Cullen has another season in him. Get a centerman for his line or get a defensemen who can play speed, be grit when needed and make smart decisions. So someone similar to Lovejoy, but faster. Lovejoy stepped up towards the end of the season and during the playoffs. Perhaps bring him back

If the Pens can, get another quality defensemen or another center for Fleury. I don't think Cullen has another season in him. Get a centerman for his line or get a defensemen who can play speed, be grit when needed and make smart decisions. So someone similar to Lovejoy, but faster. Lovejoy stepped up towards the end of the season and during the playoffs. Perhaps bring him back

We will lose Lovejoy and doubt Cullen will comeback for one more season. I think I read they made $600k. Pretty good deals we got for them. Two solid holes to fill and their experience is what will be missed. I read RJ Umberger will be cut from Philly. With Bennett gone most likely, I'd kick those tires a bit for the right price.

Did you all notice that after the point that the Pens backs were against the wall in the Tampa series, they pretty much stopped the retaliation slashes, checks, etc. I know Crosby slashed Thornton on the opening face off in Game 6 but they pretty much stayed out of the box for retaliation related stuff and it would be interesting to know if word came down from the coach or if the players just wised up.

I'll never forget that seemingly endless streak of calls against the Pens and we had back to back to back delay of game calls.

When they stayed out of the box they won.

Did you all notice that after the point that the Pens backs were against the wall in the Tampa series, they pretty much stopped the retaliation slashes, checks, etc. I know Crosby slashed Thornton on the opening face off in Game 6 but they pretty much stayed out of the box for retaliation related stuff and it would be interesting to know if word came down from the coach or if the players just wised up.

I'll never forget that seemingly endless streak of calls against the Pens and we had back to back to back delay of game calls.

When they stayed out of the box they won.

The shirts the players wore were pretty cool with spots for X's for each with and a 'check' for each series win, but the motto from Sullivan was "just play."

Umbereger's a home town boy, right? Maybe takes a home town discount?

Why would we want him? For the 4th line?

Umberger, 34, had two unproductive years after returning for his second stint with the Flyers. Last season, he was a healthy scratch in 23 of the last 24 games, playing only in the meaningless season finale against the Islanders.

I'd rather Rutherford call up Stamkos and offer to sign him for 6 million/5yr, to play wing with Sid!

Trade Fleury to Dallas and get a goalie in return + some picks, get them to pay some of Niemi's contract.

Umberger, 34, had two unproductive years after returning for his second stint with the Flyers. Last season, he was a healthy scratch in 23 of the last 24 games, playing only in the meaningless season finale against the Islanders.

I'd rather Rutherford call up Stamkos and offer to sign him for 6 million/5yr, to play wing with Sid!

Trade Fleury to Dallas and get a goalie in return + some picks, get them to pay some of Niemi's contract.

I would like to see Stamkos as a Pen. That would be a good line for Crosby. Fleury situation is still "???" Imo

Murray was awesome and all we could ask for at the time but I'd like to try hanging onto MAF until they see him perform over the long haul of a regular season. He did let some pretty soft goals get by him so I wouldn't be looking at him as the next Patrick Roy just yet.

Just my 2 cents. Must be the off season. :)

Yep. Umberger doesn't fit the quick release blueliner that now seems to be the Pens prototype.

Fleury at the Crossroads of Career

To get this out of the way right from the start: the Penguins wouldn’t be participating in the 2016 NHL playoffs if it wasn’t for many stellar performances by Marc-André Fleury. The same goes for the 2015 postseason, when he gave his team a realistic chance to win each one of the five games against a superior New York Rangers team in Round 1.

Deep inside, however, he doesn’t likely consider this championship his achievement, nor does he bleat about how difficult this season was for him.

The Makeup of a True Leader

If it wasn’t for Fleury’s formidable personality, the Penguins would have never hoisted the Stanley Cup on June 12, 2016. Fleury could have let Murray do his thing, not supporting him along the way. Instead, he was always there for the rookie, giving advice, settling him down in the heat of a moment and being as supportive as anyone could wish for.

There were two things, which were strange about Fleury on Sunday, though. His skate with the chalice of dreams was the shortest of any Penguin and during the locker room celebration, Fleury reportedly was outside of the dressing room. It seemed as if he couldn’t wholeheartedly celebrate the Cup, although he hid his emotions very well in front of the camera:

A Narrow Road Ahead for Fleury

Could you be mad at him if he no longer wanted to be playing for the Pittsburgh Penguins? You obviously couldn’t. Besides, you wouldn’t even have the right to be. For what Fleury’s done for this organization, words simply don’t measure up.

The Flower is a lock to go down as a Hall-of-Fame goaltender at some point after his career and deservedly so. His 357 wins make him the winningest goalie in Penguins history; he’s also won two Stanley Cups.

The following weeks, however, will be the toughest of his career and that’s saying something! He will have to decide on his future and a lot of factors play into that decision:

There is an expansion draft on the horizon for the Las Vegas team.
Matt Murray is playing stellar and has won a Stanley Cup as a starting goalie.
Murray is also 9 years younger and will play another season for under $1 million against the salary cap.
The perspective of sharing a cage that’s undoubtedly been his for so many years is hardly what the veteran Fleury envisions for himself. He has earned the expectation to be an NHL starting goaltender at this point in his career.

His options, then, aren’t even a handful:

waive his NMC and ask for a trade out of Pittsburgh
stay with the Pens, keep mentoring Murray and share the net
stay with the Pens and battle out the youngster.
Whatever choice he makes will be the defining one for at least the next three years, until Fleury hits unrestricted free-agency again.

Defining, and Not Just for Fleury

The Penguins owe it to Fleury to let him decide whether he wants to stay with the Penguins or if he wants to try his luck somewhere else. He could easily be the guy who turns a struggling team’s fate around.

As career-defining as the decision will be for the goaltender himself, it might even be more important for the Penguins – not mainly in the books (although $5 million spent elsewhere could make the team even more dangerous), and not as much on the ice (although a change would hardly be considered peanuts) but, above everything mentioned, in the franchise’s public perception.

It’s crucial to handle this situation right if you’re the Pens, mainly in light of the recent Dan Bylsma debacle a couple of summers ago.

The Penguins can’t afford to look unthankful and unprofessional again, especially now that they’ve climbed on top of the hockey world, again. The spotlight will be on them for the next year and the media will dissect every little move they make.

The Penguins and Fleury will have to get this right.

Imminent Trade Unlikely

If you think a trade is happening around the draft, think again. It’s not impossible, but unlikely. Such decisions, as well as negotiations, take a lot of time and unless they’ve been clandestinely made already, ten days will simply not be enough to make the right move for everybody involved.

During the offseason? There is a good chance. It depends on the expected return and potential buyers, obviously. The buyers’ picks at the draft and their eventual free-agent signings will define whether there’s a market for a goalie move out of Pittsburgh or not.

During the next season? If a Penguins goalie trade is happening, I consider this a very likely time frame, as well. Firstly, a traded goalie would have enough time to get accustomed to a new environment without the risk of dooming that team’s playoff aspirations when things don’t go well in the beginning. Secondly, there is enough time to arrange a deal that benefits all parties, there’s no hurry.

At the deadline? Unless negotiations take so long and asking prices – for whatever reason – considerably drop for a trade, I simply don’t see this as a deadline deal. It’s not a decision you make out of any sort of desperation, if you’re the Penguins. The risk of not getting the reward you ask for is simply too high. The Penguins should want the goalie dilemma sorted out before they’ll be pressed to pick their poison: Make a less rewarding deal at the deadline or go for the gamble during the expansion draft, with Fleury (NMC) protected and Murray up for grabs for no return.

No trade at all? Rutherford said in an interview with DKPittsburghSports.com’s Josh Yohe, that the Penguins aren’t going to lose a goaltender during the expansion draft.

He’s just too smart to lose an asset for nothing, come on. He’s also Jim Rutherford.

http://thehockeywriters.com/fleury-at-the-crossroads/

-------------------------

All up in the air for now.

Rutherford: the Penguins aren’t going to lose a goaltender during the expansion draft

What's that mean? Trade, right?

Last edited:
July 1st the shopping spree begins for FAs

TB supposedly offered him 8 years/$68 Million, to which Mr. Stamkos promptly said "Yes, thank you, but I believe I would like to have another $10 million dollars"

July 1st the shopping spree begins for FAs

TB supposedly offered him 8 years/$68 Million, to which Mr. Stamkos promptly said "Yes, thank you, but I believe I would like to have another $10 million dollars"

I dont think the Pens will offer. Maybe....0.o

Status
Not open for further replies.