• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2023 Roster predictions Part 1: Number of slots per Position

madinsomniac

Reaction score
2023 Roster predictions Part 1

So before we get into specifics lets break down a five year history to get an idea of what we typically do. The next part will get more into specific players

*OFFENSE/DEFENSE SPLITS*------------------------

(First of all, every year we always keep 3 “pure ST position” guys, a K, a P and a LS. So the rest of the roster is based off of 50 available spots.)

Over the past 5 seasons, the offense and defensive spots going into the season have been split evenly 25 and 25. The two remaining seasons the defense started the season with 26 and the O with 24.

Last year we kept 25 offensive players and 25 defensive guys following the final cuts.

*OFFENSIVE SPOTS*-----------------------------------

-QB: This position is easy to predict. The past 5 seasons we have carried 3 QBs every single year.

Past 5 years average: 3

Highest: 3

Lowest: 3

Last year:3

2023 Prediction QB (3)

-RB/FB: This spot has both the regular RBs and the FB’s, but FB spot has religiously been a single back every season. The only fluctuations are in the number of RB’s. In 3 seasons, we kept 3. The other two we kept 4, however that came at the expense of keeping only 5 wrs

Past 5 years average: RB (3.4) FB (1)

Highest: RB (4) FB(1)

Lowest: RB (3) FB(1)

Last year: RB (3) FB (1)

2023 Prediction RB (3) FB (1)

-WR: This position carries the most variables on the Offense. Besides having guys to cover the ability to play all three wr spots, it also tends to accumulate KR and PR guys as well as the occasional ST gunner… also some TEs and RBs are basically wrs, so the roster can fluctuate wildly.

Past 5 years average: 5.6

Highest: 7

Lowest: 5

Last year: 7

2023 Prediction WR (6)

-TE: This is another fairly simple roster spot to figure out, 5 years and every year we kept 3 TEs. I guess there is a chance we say Heyward is a FB or RB then try to only keep two, but I don’t see that

Past 5 years average: 3

Highest: 3

Last year: 3

2023 Prediction TE (3)

-Total Oline: I am going to break down the individual spots below, but since certain players are transcendent here, I thought a general group of the oline would be useful too

Past 5 years average: 8.6

Highest: 9

Lowest: 8

Last year: 8

2023 Prediction Total Oline (C,G,OT) (8)

-C: many guards and centers are interchangeable, but we almost always have two dedicated C’s on the Roster

Past 5 years average: 2

Highest: 2

Lowest: 2

Last year: 2

2023 Prediction C (2)

-G: The third G is often a swing player, who can play both G positions as well as C or T, one year we kept two natural guards because we had an extra T who could play guard and a backup center capable of it too

Past 5 years average: 3.2

Highest: 4

Lowest: 2

2023 Prediction G (3)

-OT: If we keep a 9th Olineman this year, it will probably be an extra Tackle… with a rookie LT, that could be a reality

Past 5 years average: 3.4

Highest: 4

2023 Prediction OT (3)

*DEFENSIVE SPOTS*-----------------------------------

-DL: Look, Im not going to try to figure out how the steelers plan to use all these guys. Some of these guys are gonna line up all over, so trying to fit them into a technique or even a general label for whom is going to be a ¾ de type, a NT type or a more traditional DT seems complicated for this exercise right now. So its just one giant clump… for three years we kept 6 DL, but the last two we have kept 8 and 7 respectively… I think with the shear number of guys we have brought in this year we go with 7 initially

Past 5 years average: 6.6

Highest: 8

Lowest: 6

Last year: 7

2023 Prediction DL (7)

-OLB: Another rather simple position to fill out… we will have 4. One season in the past 5 we did carry 5, but injury concerns pushed that. We will have two starters, a backup, and a special teams guy who can play in a pinch

Past 5 years average: 4.2

Highest: 5

Lowest: 4

Last year: 4

2023 Prediction OLB (4)

-ILB: This spot is also tricky because of how we use it. … the traditional mike and Will designations also have kind of a hybrid safety mixed in. in some seasons we kept an extra ILB and shorted the safety position… kind of what they were hoping Bush would become… Tanner Muse fits that mold… in the past Marcus Allen was that “more safety than ilb” type….

Past 5 years average: 5

Highest: 6

Last year: 5

2023 Prediction ILB (5)

-DB: as with Oline, I both combined these then split them out below. In 4 of the past 5 years we kept 10 dbs. One season we only kept 8, and kept an extra lb and dl, but then almost immediately adjusted it after a couple guys went on IR before the first game.

Bare in mind, these projections can change on the fly. For instance I have Norwood penciled in as a slot guy… he is a safety… if, say, Dawson beats him out, that swings a spot from S to CB…

Past 5 years average: 9.6

Highest: 10

Lowest: 8

Last year: 10

2023 Prediction DB (10)

-CB: CB will usually have 5 guys but can have 6 or 4 depending if the teams slot players are listed as safety or not

Past 5 years average: 5.2

Highest: 6

2023 Prediction CB (5)

-S: Much like CB, this position usually has 4 or 5 guys but it really depends on how the team lists guys positions… if the slot guys are listed as CB’s and there is a SS type ILB on the roster, they will carry 4… if not, they will have 5. Also Killebrew is listed as a S but is basically just a special teams ace…

Past 5 years average: 4.4

Highest: 5

2023 Prediction S (5)

Well reasoned

A lot of research here. Kudos.

I would prefer they keep 4 tackles. With a rookie T in the mix it is nice to have a backup veteran in the group.

Great post Madinsomniac, thank you for the work involved.

Can’t argue with much and it’s going to become a hard decision when we get close to final cuts.

Salute the nation

I will try to fill out the roster with players as soon as the team fills out the last few open spots.
They left several spots open for the rookie minicamp over the weekend.. now we probably see some signings the next couple of days… if they do sign a vet, it probably means none of the tryouts impressed enough at a position they feel shallow in …

I love the post, great concept here.

A few of the positions stand out given the depth of talent.

WR - There are three locks and then a bunch of guys with different skill sets. There is enough depth to go with 6, but enough talent at the top to only keep 5. I tend to lean toward 6 because of the new pieces coming into the offense and the importance of depth at the position.

OL - A year after the line nearly played every snap together, we are looking at two new starters from Week 1, or at least during some part of the season. By virtue of the draft and free agency, Steelers have quality backups at OT and OG. Center is the big question. The talent says they'll keep 8.

DL - On paper I see 6 locks, however, one is a rookie and another doesn't have a true position. That makes me lean toward keeping 7. The front office also made it a priority to improve the trenches, so it makes sense to keep an extra player, particularly with the backup talent being questionable.

CB - Other than QB, this is probably the deepest area of the team. There is a future HOFer in this group, a nice mix of veterans, and big upside rookies. Who plays the slot is the biggest question. Now, do the Steelers go deeper at the position or do they cut/trade a solid NFL contributor?

I love the post, great concept here.

A few of the positions stand out given the depth of talent.

WR - There are three locks and then a bunch of guys with different skill sets. There is enough depth to go with 6, but enough talent at the top to only keep 5. I tend to lean toward 6 because of the new pieces coming into the offense and the importance of depth at the position.

OL - A year after the line nearly played every snap together, we are looking at two new starters from Week 1, or at least during some part of the season. By virtue of the draft and free agency, Steelers have quality backups at OT and OG. Center is the big question. The talent says they'll keep 8.

DL - On paper I see 6 locks, however, one is a rookie and another doesn't have a true position. That makes me lean toward keeping 7. The front office also made it a priority to improve the trenches, so it makes sense to keep an extra player, particularly with the backup talent being questionable.

CB - Other than QB, this is probably the deepest area of the team. There is a future HOFer in this group, a nice mix of veterans, and big upside rookies. Who plays the slot is the biggest question. Now, do the Steelers go deeper at the position or do they cut/trade a solid NFL contributor?

Yeah, at Wr they are keeping DJ, Pickens and Robinson… and a slot who is almost certainly going to be CA3… then they will keep second slot type receiver like miller and a ST gunner there… so either Gunner or Boykin… because they use so many Wrs in special teams roles, and because soread formations matter so much, I think that they keep six for the foreseeable future

With camp in full swing, I am going to bump this… hopefully some of those media knuckleheads will read it and not discuss why we need to sign that 5th olb for depth or a 9th depth Dlineman or some other nonsense that doesn’t make sense … oh my goodness.. they only go four or five deep at guard.. the sky is FALLING!!! Lol

With camp in full swing, I am going to bump this… hopefully some of those media knuckleheads will read it and not discuss why we need to sign that 5th olb for depth or a 9th depth Dlineman or some other nonsense that doesn’t make sense … oh my goodness.. they only go four or five deep at guard.. the sky is FALLING!!! Lol
One said the Steelers were one injury away from being very thin at CB after the Trice injury. Yes, the same for every other position and for every team in the league.

Well Done good sir!