• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 12

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
College Football Week 12

Rutgers at 12 Penn State 12:00 FS1 PSU-20.5

Penn State fired their OC Mike Yurcich last week after yet another ultra conservative gameplan with almost nothing in the passing game. He was actually co-OC with the RB coach Ja'Juan Seider. Seider is a young up and coming coach who had other opportunities. Franklin gave him the co-OC title to keep him. Now Seider will remain Co-OC with TE coach Ty Howle. Howle started at Center for Penn state and was team captain in 2013. Howle was a grad assistant at NC State where he worked with Matt Canada. He overcame that handicap to become OC at Western Illinois before becoming TE coach at Penn State. His Western Illinois offense ranked 21st in the nation in passing.

Firing Yurcich gives Seider and Howle a few weeks to audition to keep the job. Their success will likely be measured by how the passing game looks. On an interesrting side note, Penn State actually got a QB commitment after Yurcich was fired.

Rutgers is well coached on defense. They limit big plays because they don't make many mistakes. Don't judge the offense by big plays but by whether the passing game looks functional by doing more than screens and short passes outside. I'll settle for seeing a few slant routes with run after catch.

This could be a spot for a letdown game, but with the OC getting fired, i think that will light a spark. I can't see the Rutgers offense score very many points.

3 Michigan at Maryland 12:00 FOX Cheaters-19.5
Harbaugh accepted his 3 game sideline only ban after the NCAA presented even more evidence. Mich then fired their LB coach as another scapegoat. But Harbaugh totally had no idea. Nope. None.

Penn State played both Ohio State and Michigan. My take is Ohio State is better. I was not that impressed with Michigan actually. Michigan's offense struggled to move the ball. That gave up on passing because McCarthy was running for his life nearly every pass attempt. The Mich OTs are not very good at pass pro. Mich did have success running but only after using 7 OL. Even then, most of thei runs were short with their success coming on plays where Penn State defenders were out of their gaps.

None of that matter vs Maryland because their defense sucks. Mich will be able to grind them up.

The interesting thing will be to see the Michigan defense against the first decent offense they've played this year. Penn State's awful passing game did not challenge Mich at all so it's still unknown how good their pass defense is.

Tagovailoa is a streaky QB. He makes big plays and big mistakes and once he makes a mistake, he tends to let it snowball.

Maryland might keep it interesting for a bit but I doubt they can withstand 60 minutes.

10 Louisville at Miami 12:00 ABC Mia-1
Louisville can clinch an ACC title game berth with a win. Miami is trying to stop their season from completely falling apart. maybe Miami shouldn't have fired Manny Diaz.

22 Utah at 17 Arizona 2:30 PAC12 ARiz-1
Arizona still has a chance to make the Pac 12 title game if they can win out. Coach Jedd Fisch will be a hot name for teams looking for a new coach next year. Arizona was awful when he arrived.

1 Georgia at 18 Tennessee 3:30 CBS UGA-10
Last week this game looked like a great matchup and potential stumbling block for UGA, but then Tenn was dominated by Missouri and only scored 7 points. Hard to see how Tennm will compete with a Georgia team that is playing better in recent weeks. Brock Bowers returned last week.

Illinois at 16 Iowa 3:30 FS1 Iowa-3
Iowa will win the awful Big 10 West and clinch a spot in the Big title game with a win in either of their remaining games. The Iowa offense scored 22 vs Rutgers last week which is like scoring 50 by Iowa standards.

20 North Carolina at Clemson 3:30 ESPN Clem-7.5
Clemson saved their season with the win vs Notre Dame a few weeks ago and they can get the program some positive momentum if they can beat UNC. NC is coming off a toght double OT win vs Duke last week.

Minnesota at 2 Ohio State 4:00 BTN OSU-27.5
Ohio State just needs to not play the worst game in years and their undefeated showdown with Michigan is assured. Watch the Minnesota sideline for a gatorade bucket with feet and binoculars.

23 Oklahoma State at Houston 4:00 ESPN2 OkSt-6.5
2 weeks ago OkSt beat Oklahoma then last week they had the classic letdown and got blown out by Central Florida. OKST needs to win out for a shot at the Big 12 title. Houston needs to wion out to get to a bowl.

21 Kansas State at 25 Kansas 7:00 FS1 KSU-10
This game is called the Sunflower Showdown. Now you know that. KState hasn't lost this game since 2008. Kansas coach Lance Leipold has build a really solid program. His name will be tossed around for coaching vacancies. KState still has a shot at the Big 12 title game.

5 Washington at 11 Oregon State 7:30 ABC OrSt-1
Surprised to see OR State favored in this one. Wash is still unbeaten. They can afford a loss and still make the Pac title game but it's the playoff they are after. This is another chance for Penix to make his Heisman case.

Michigan stopped passing the ball because they didn’t have to. They ran 44 times for 227 yards at a 5.2 ypc clip.

Thanks Tape, always look forward to this.

I’m not a big college football person, but this seems to help me narrow down if I’m going to catch a game or not.

Salute the nation

Michigan stopped passing the ball because they didn’t have to. They ran 44 times for 227 yards at a 5.2 ypc clip.

Yes, and Michigan had 118 yards on just 4 of those carries. They broke a few big runs when Penn State blew assignments. That leaves 109 yards on the 40 other carries. Mich had 22 carries of 2 yards or less, including 10 runs for 0 or negative yards.

As i said, Mich did struggle to run the ball for the most part and that was using 6 and 7 OL sets plus QB runs sprinkled in there. Penn State controlled the line of scrimmage on the majority of plays even with all those heavy sets.

Mich was only able to run so much because Penn State's offense was so inept. Ohio State will be able to score points and force Michigan to do more than just heavy sets. This Michigan OL is not as good as last year's.

Rutgers at 12 Penn State 12:00 FS1 PSU-20.5
Penn State fired their OC Mike Yurcich last week after yet another ultra conservative gameplan with almost nothing in the passing game. He was actually co-OC with the RB coach Ja'Juan Seider. Seider is a young up and coming coach who had other opportunities. Franklin gave him the co-OC title to keep him. Now Seider will remain Co-OC with TE coach Ty Howle. Howle started at Center for Penn state and was team captain in 2013. Howle was a grad assistant at NC State where he worked with Matt Canada. He overcame that handicap to become OC at Western Illinois before becoming TE coach at Penn State. His Western Illinois offense ranked 21st in the nation in passing.

Firing Yurcich gives Seider and Howle a few weeks to audition to keep the job. Their success will likely be measured by how the passing game looks. On an interesrting side note, Penn State actually got a QB commitment after Yurcich was fired.

Rutgers is well coached on defense. They limit big plays because they don't make many mistakes. Don't judge the offense by big plays but by whether the passing game looks functional by doing more than screens and short passes outside. I'll settle for seeing a few slant routes with run after catch.

This could be a spot for a letdown game, but with the OC getting fired, i think that will light a spark. I can't see the Rutgers offense score very many points.
Actually, Seider and Howle already had the titles of co-offensive coordinator before they fired Yurcich. Seider added the co-offensive coordinator title before the 2022 season, while Howle added it before this season. Seider also was given the title of assistant head coach under Franklin.

My son and I have met with Coach Howle on a handful of different occasions, including directly after the Michigan game, and he is a straight-shooter who gets results. He's done a great job in the Penn State tight end room. I wish him well with his added coordinator duties, but I hope he stays on as the tight end coach no matter what happens. Yurcich was the QB coach as well as the OC, so I suppose doing both would be possible.

Just in case anyone is interested in an update on my kid: He led his league in receiving yards as a junior this season, scored 12 touchdowns, and had 3 interceptions while playing free safety on defense. He had nearly 200 yards on 11 catches in the second round of the district playoffs. He now has a total of 6 FBS scholarship offers, including 2 from Power 5 schools. We are anticipating several others soon. He came out of the season healthy, and he's already hit the gym four times this week. It's been a hell of a summer and fall -- can't wait to see what the future might bring.

Actually, Seider and Howle already had the titles of co-offensive coordinator before they fired Yurcich. Seider added the co-offensive coordinator title before the 2022 season, while Howle added it before this season. Seider also was given the title of assistant head coach under Franklin.

My son and I have met with Coach Howle on a handful of different occasions, including directly after the Michigan game, and he is a straight-shooter who gets results. He's done a great job in the Penn State tight end room. I wish him well with his added coordinator duties, but I hope he stays on as the tight end coach no matter what happens. Yurcich was the QB coach as well as the OC, so I suppose doing both would be possible.

Just in case anyone is interested in an update on my kid: He led his league in receiving yards as a junior this season, scored 12 touchdowns, and had 3 interceptions while playing free safety on defense. He had nearly 200 yards on 11 catches in the second round of the district playoffs. He now has a total of 6 FBS scholarship offers, including 2 from Power 5 schools. We are anticipating several others soon. He came out of the season healthy, and he's already hit the gym four times this week. It's been a hell of a summer and fall -- can't wait to see what the future might bring.
Very Cool!! Congratulations to your son for his hard work paying off.

Well, there goes any idea of a Maryland upset. Tua's lil bro just fumbled the ball and ttun picked it up and scored. Lil Tua usually falls apart after something like that.

Well, there goes any idea of a Maryland upset. Tua's lil bro just fumbled the ball and ttun picked it up and scored. Lil Tua usually falls apart after something like that.
And shortly after, ttun blocks a Maryland punt into the endzone. Maryland punter does smart thing and kicks the ball through the back of the EZ for a safety.
ttun 16, Maryland O.

Drew Allar is not him

Guy is missing receivers all over the place.