• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 5

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
College Football Week 5

Conference matchups are in full swing now. We'll really start to learn about some teams. Off the field we saw the UNLV QB leave the team over NIL money dispute. USC DT Bear Alexander quit the team over playing time. He's taking his redshirt and back in the portal. He transferred to USC from Georgia and now will be looking for team #3.

Something to keep in mind. The new redshirt rules allow a player to appear in 4 games (not including postseason) and still get a redshirt. Will we see a bunch more players quit to preserve the redshirt and transfer? Some of these kids may have an "agent". Some guy telling themn to switch teams to get some short term NIL money but possibly screw their NFL future.

The NCAA should start with a rule that allows 1 free transfer then any future transfers require sitting out a season. Teams should also include language in the NIL contracts that require the new school to pay them some money back. I don't know the answer, i just know this anarchy can't continue.

19 Illinois at 9 Penn State 7:30 NBC PSU -19.5
Illinois is 4-0 and coming off their big win vs Nebraska. This will be an unofficial whiteout for Penn State (the official one appears to be vs Washington on 11/9). They will honor the 94 undefeated team that was screwed out of a national championship. The last time Illinois beat PSU was in 2021 in a 9 OT game.

Illinois QB Luke Altmyer had a great game vs Nebraska and appears much improved but he hasn't faced a defense with penn state's speed and pass rush.

Illinois has some great coverage guys. Penn State's WRs have gotten better each week and the OC has done a great job with formations to confuse defenses. They added some wildcat with the TE running and throwing last week. Lots for Illinois to prepare for.

Kentucky at 6 Ole Miss 12:00 ABC Miss -16
a few weeks ago, Kentucky had Georgia beat until they blew it on the last drive. They rebounded with a blowout of Ohio. Ole Miss is 4-0 after surviving a murderer's row of Furman, Middle Tennessee, Wake Forest and Georgia Southern. Ole Miss has a great offense but Kentucky has 2 SEC games under their belt already. Maybe they get off to a slow start against theior first opponent with a pulse.

Minnesota at 12 Michigan 12:00 FOX Mich -10

Battle for the Little Brown Jug. last week Michigan pretty much decided to stop even trying to pass and just go heavy and outmuscle teams. Minnesota tries to do the same. They should play this game in leather helmets.

20 Oklahoma State at 23 Kansas State 12:00 ESPN KSU -5
both teams coming off their first loss. Ok State lost a close one to Utah and K State got blown out by BYU. This is a must win for each to stay in contention in the Big 12. K State's QB is coming off a terrible game vs BYU but Ok State's defense gave up a ton of yards vs Utah.

Wisconsin at 13 USC 3:30 CBS USC -15.5
USC was welcomed to big 10 football last week when Michigan just overpowered them. This is not the typical Wisconsin ru team. They have a version of air raid offense. USC should match up better this week.

15 Louisville at 16 Notre Dame 3:30 Peacock ND -7
This game appears to be stearming only. I guess i better sign up! Or maybe i just won't watch a second of this game. Playoffs are on the line. Louisville needs a ranked win on the resume and ND is pretty much out with loss #2. The Louisville offense has been great so far but ND's defense is much better than what they've faced so far. Might have been an entertaining game if NBC put it on TV and not a pay app.

21 Oklahoma at Auburn 3:30 ABC OK -2.5
Oklahoma is coming off a terrible performance vs Tennessee. Tenn's defense is good but the awful play of Oklahoma's starting QB was the main reason for the struggles. They went with the freshman Michael Hawking late and he gave them a spark. He gets the start now. The Oklahoma defense was great. They only gave up 25 to a good Tenn offense and that was with their offense giving them no rest. Auburn lost to the only 2 good teams they've played. Their leading WR is penn state transfer and malcontent Keandre Lambert Smith.

Arkansas at 24 Texas A&M 3:30 ESPN TAM -5.5
TAM is coming off a close 6 point win vs Bowling Green. I told ya BG was good this year.

Stanford at 17 Clemson 7:00 ESPN Clem -21.5
strange that this is now an ACC conference game. Clemson QB Cade Klubnick has been hot the last 2 games with 11 TD vs some lesser teams. Clemson only has the non-conference loss to Georgia so they are in good shape in the ACC

2 Georgia at 4 Alabama 7:30 ABC UGA -1

it's good that America will have this game to flip to while Penn State is on commercial. The winner will almost certainly be #1 in the next poll and be in great position to make it to the SEC championship. Bama does not play Texas so a win here sets them up well.

Georgia has a Bye last week and before that they squeaked by Kentucky. They were flat looking forward to a bye and Bama. They made the plays when they needed it. Bama also had a bye and before that a blowout of Wisconsin who is not great this year.

Bama's offense has looked great. Georgia is the only defense to not allow a TD this season. First time bama is a home underdog since Saban's first season in 2007. This is a real toss up game.

Washington State at 25 Boise State 10:00 FS1 BSU -6.5
Boise is ranked but WSU is the undefeated team. Boise had Oregon on the ropes and lost by 3. Wash State got the big win vs Washington. With an over under of 65, this could be entertaining.

19.5 point spread against a 4-0 team? That's insane. After the fiasco against Bowling Green, this could be an upset. Lions better bring their A game.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA🤣🤣🤣

90% of the world, not just 'Merica, will be tuned in, bruh!!!

ROOOOOOOOLL TIDE ROLL!!!
Beat me too it Berm
Funniest thing I’ve heard all week!

Go Dawgs!!!

Not overly optimistic about this one as flat as UGA looked vs Kentucky but that may be a result of looking past them to the much tougher upcoming opponent.

I've been a Penn State fan for last 43 years and I'll be watching the Georgia/Alabama game while keeping track of Jame's Franklin's band of misfits. Franklin and Tomlin MUST be related, because these types of games are where their respective teams **** the bed. My blood pressure can't take these games anymore. I'll watch the heavy weight fight and leave the undercard on my phone.

I'll be working on my place but at lunch time, I will tune in to see what I get on the TV.

I'm limited as I am NOT paying for hardly any TV options. I get Paramount +(CBS), Prime, HULU through my daughter, That's it.

$12.00 bucks a month, my company pays for internet & Amazon. I get a host of other free stuff, just for the record.

Salute the nation

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA🤣🤣🤣

90% of the world, not just 'Merica, will be tuned in, bruh!!!

ROOOOOOOOLL TIDE ROLL!!!
I'll be on the sidelines with my son before and after the game! Can't wait!

RTR

Tapes college football breakdowns are excellent!

and much appreciated by this poster, thanks Tape always solid.

Georgia struggled against Ky. I thought Alabama might be favored. I think the question everyone is asking is how bad will Western Ky beat Boston College.

19.5 point spread against a 4-0 team? That's insane. After the fiasco against Bowling Green, this could be an upset. Lions better bring their A game.

Bowling Green is good. They almost beat Texas A&M on their home field last week. Penn State made a lot of defensive mistakes in that game.

This line is so big because Penn State blew them out last year. Also Kansas blew them out last year with Penn State's current OC at the helm. Illinois likes to play a lot of man coverage and his offense uses tones of formations and misdirection and rubs that are tough on man defenses.

Illinois is better than last year but so is Penn State. This year's PSU offense has multiple ways to beat you. Allar did a lot of weight room work and is much quicker than last year. His mobility is an added element this year.

In the end, a spread is public perception. I think a lot of people thought Illinois got a bit lucky to beat Nebraska last week. I do. Illinois played well but Nebraska blew it.

Interesting note on Penn State's unofficial white out vs Illinois. It turns out that the term whiteout was first used by the NHL's Winnepeg Jets. Penn State has since trademarked Penn State Whiteout, but by agreement they can only do 1 official whiteout per year.

The new TV deals with FOX and CBS is also making the whiteout tough. The whiteout has to be a night game and they want it to be against a good opponent. Fox now insists on their Big Noon kickoff which means Penn State vs Ohio State will almost certainly be a noon game.

That's why they made Washington the whiteout game this year. They were expected to be good. They're a new opponent and with them being a west coast team it's more likely to be a night game.

I'll be working on my place but at lunch time, I will tune in to see what I get on the TV.

I'm limited as I am NOT paying for hardly any TV options. I get Paramount +(CBS), Prime, HULU through my daughter, That's it.

$12.00 bucks a month, my company pays for internet & Amazon. I get a host of other free stuff, just for the record.

Salute the nation
When yer beer and bacon is free, please let everyone know.

Interesting note on Penn State's unofficial white out vs Illinois. It turns out that the term whiteout was first used by the NHL's Winnepeg Jets. Penn State has since trademarked Penn State Whiteout, but by agreement they can only do 1 official whiteout per year.

The new TV deals with FOX and CBS is also making the whiteout tough. The whiteout has to be a night game and they want it to be against a good opponent. Fox now insists on their Big Noon kickoff which means Penn State vs Ohio State will almost certainly be a noon game.

That's why they made Washington the whiteout game this year. They were expected to be good. They're a new opponent and with them being a west coast team it's more likely to be a night game.
I gotta ask:
With whom did they agree to only 1 official whiteout per year?
Who regulates the unofficial whiteout?
Lastly, how much whiteout dies the average person need to coat their face? A couple bottles?

I believe the deal is with the Winnepeg Jets. Penn State can official market 1 game per year as a whiteout. Of course, you can't stop people from all wearing white. That's why Franklin talked about "whiteout energy" without actually saying the game is a whiteout.

I don't know how much white out it would take to cover one's face. I do know that white out was invented by the mother of Michael Nesmith who was in The Monkeys. I don't know if the WInnepeg Jets had to pay money to his mom.

BTW, there are 2 great games going right now. Virginia Tech up on #7 Miami by 3 in the 4th and they've been in control most of the game. Rutgers is up on Washington in the second half.

I believe the deal is with the Winnepeg Jets. Penn State can official market 1 game per year as a whiteout. Of course, you can't stop people from all wearing white. That's why Franklin talked about "whiteout energy" without actually saying the game is a whiteout.

I don't know how much white out it would take to cover one's face. I do know that white out was invented by the mother of Michael Nesmith who was in The Monkeys. I don't know if the WInnepeg Jets had to pay money to his mom.
Kinda dumb, eh?

Unless Texas ***** the bed, I don’t know why the people who are voting Texas #1 would vote #2 Georgia or #4 Alabama #1 because one beat the other.

I think VT got robbed but probably deserved it based on the plays and clock management on the final drive.