• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's................@ Buffalo............Week 5

Chicoman

Reaction score
I guess I'll put a check mark today on this game as a reality check for the Steeler Nation. This game could be used a measuring stick to see how the Steelers stack up against the best team in the NFL in their house and the reality is we don't stack up very well at all. The third play from scrimmage for Buffalo pretty much set the tone for this game as Allen throws a 98 yd TD to Gabe Davis that was all the Bills would need in this one as they went on to steamroll the Steelers 38-3. The worst loss for the Pittsburgh Steelers since week 1 in 1989....a loss to Cleveland 51-0. Not many positives in this game for the Steelers. I know in recent weeks we've seen alot of people question how good Najee Harris is at RB....some people saying he lacks vision and explosiveness. He didn't show much today....how the hell did he have over 1600 yds from scrimmage last season behind that O-line last year I'll never know. I do know one thing Jaylen Warren is out playing him so far this season and he has certainly shown good effort and great heart when he's out there on the field. That's the type of football player I want on my team! I need to see the passing chart for Pickett's throws today.....most of the throws....in fact I think all of the throws except for the 4th Quarter were outside the numbers on the field. Is that the game plan? Is that Matt Canada's game plan? Why oh why are the Steelers not using the middle of the football field? I mean they really are not using it at all. I don't think you can win a football game regardless of how good the offense is if you don't utilize the entire football field and right now the Steelers offense is using about 1/3 of it. I honestly can't remember an NFL offense that threw 90% of their throws outside the numbers. It's a recipe for disaster and right now the disaster is a 1-4 record and I don't see this team winning many football games if this is your offensive game plan going forward. Everyone knows I'm a big Pickett fan and I think he did some good things at times today....the arrow is definitely pointing up for him and this offense but the growing pains for this offense seem compounded by the offensive gameplan and the play calling of Matt Canada. Defensively this team is really pathetic. Seeing Devin Bush run right past Josh Allen when he had him dead to rights for a sack then watching Allen scramble for about 25 yds on that play is just the comedy of errors this Steeler Defense has become. Levi Wallace & Tre Norwood were smoked early and often by Gabe Davis and Josh Allen. So far the Steelers are 0-8 when TJ Watt doesn't play.......Malik Reed is no TJ Watt.....he might as well not even be on the field. Where is Isiah Loudermilk? With the poor performance by Chris Wormley and Tyson Alualu week in, week out I find it hard that Loudermilk can't crack this roster for some play time. Also Mark Roblinson needs to get a helmet at ILB because Devin Bush & Robert Spillane are both liabilities back there.....and seeing Spillane matched up on Stephon Diggs several times today made me sick to my stomach...that should never, NEVER EVER happen! I'll be interested to see if Kenny Pickett can bounce back next week at home vs Tampa Bay but I don't have much hope for this team against Tom Brady as he will just sit back there and pick apart our zone coverage schemes. This team has more holes than I can count right now. 2022 is shaping up be a very disappointing season. I really thought some of these 3rd & 4th year guys like Dionte Johnson & Chase Claypool would step up and take on a leadership role on this team and we see now they are just there for the paycheck!

Per Mike Tomlin Post Game:
Pat Freiermuth - Concussion
Levi Wallace - Concussion
Larry Ogunjobi - Back Injury being Evaluate
Cam Sutton - Hamstring wasn't able to finish the game

Game Balls:
Jaylen Warren - He showed good effort and heart today in the time that he played today. Certainly warrants more touches and more playtime.
DeMarvin Leal - 2 batted balls today and he made some nice plays today...great showing for a rookie
George Pickens - This kid is going to be a superstar....IMO he's already better than Claypool & Johnson both.

Game Goats:
Chris Boswell - I know the wind was brutal today but 2 missed FG's......not good
Devin Bush - The weakest link on Defense....over running John Allen for a sack then seeing him take off for 25 yds is just the pinnacle of his pathetic play throughout his career.
Pressley Harvin - He had a 69yd punt but his other 3 punts averaged 31 Yards each....absolutely terrible! We can't even find an efficient punter!
Dionte Johnson - 13 targets, 5 receptions 60 yds....2 passes right thru his hands, 1 hit him in the gut and he couldn't make the catches. He played terrible today, 2 catches he couldn't get his feet down.
Malik Reed - We might be better with a blocking sled or tackling dummy out there. This guy couldn't flash if he was naked on the field! Just awful!

FU's:
Mike Tomlin - WTF this guy really ****** things up today...first off who the hell trotted out James Pierre for a kickoff return? If it's not on Tomlin then it's Danny Smith's fault and that was just inexcusable. The decisions to kick FG's on 4th down late in the game were just pathetic....it resulted in 2 missed FG's by Boswell when the team was down 20+ points late in the game. Don't live in your fears Coach T!
Matt Canada - I just don't understand why an offense is only throwing the football outside the numbers? Your trying to use 1/3 of the field to move the offense downfield. It's pretty incredible that this seems to be the norm today.....don't want to hear any excuses for Matt Canada anymore....his game plan and play calling should be on the chopping block. It's blatantly obvious and it just makes no sense. When does he get the axe? Or will Tomlin have enough sense to take away his play calling ability in favor of a guy like Mike Sullivan?

I got a feeling this will be a week full of lame excuses by the Steelers

I thought Kenny did very well considering the Bills are a good team. He stayed in it and tried - and punched a D player. This kid doesn't like losing and I certainly don't see any QUIT or loss of confidence in him. Let him play the rest of the season.

I also thought Warren deserves to be on the field, and Pickens had some good catches. The rest of it is beating an old, tired drum.

Kenny played well enough to have gotten a game ball.
Not his fault his receivers dropped balls and failed to stay in bounds.
Not his fault that his OL had penalties that either wiped out first downs or set him back further.
Not his fault for the totally chicken **** play calling of run,run, pass putting him in third and long.
Not his fault that he has zero running game therefore negating the play action.
Kenny still managed to throw for 330 yards and deserved better and a chance to succeed,

Last edited:
FU to Devin Bush. Can anyone name me a Steelers player with that many starts who is that bad. I wouod say Uncle Jarvis is in the running but I feel like he played with some level of heart. Bush is as gutless as he is useless. Between him and T.J. s replacement they got 9 on the field. And FU to CMT for putting him on the field.

I thought the offensive line was solid. Gentry answered the bell when the ball was thrown his way. I liked Kenny channeling his inner Bubby when he went after Lawson.
Daniels-he truly has his quarterbacks back.

Instead of bashing the coordinators- my goat goes to Tomlin. He is utmost responsible for everything on all 3 sides of the ball.

Game ball
Kenny for standing up for himself and showing promise Daniels for standing up for his QB
Warren whom till the end was giving it is all

FU and Goat
Tomlin, enough said
Defense that cannot cover, tackle, no physicality
team that shows no getty up and go. You showed no competitive attitude even when being 14 point
under dogs.
Head official who should be fined as the players as he completely lost control

It's all rotten from top to bottom and I feel bad for the good players that still make their best effort yet it's all going to waste, and has been going for some years in fact, due to the ineptitude of the coaching and even the FO that don't make the appropriate changes to fix this dumpster fire

I thought the offensive line was solid. Gentry answered the bell when the ball was thrown his way. I liked Kenny channeling his inner Bubby when he went after Lawson.
Daniels-he truly has his quarterbacks back.

Instead of bashing the coordinators- my goat goes to Tomlin. He is utmost responsible for everything on all 3 sides of the ball.
Daniels flashed Pouncey type of behavior. I like that in an O-Lineman.

Other than Daniels's awesome knock-down in defense of his QB, the offensive line gets a big FU from me. Some of you seem to think they're doing ok, but watch how much time the other team's QB gets to search for a receiver. Our QB has to hurry his throw every time. Allen had all day to throw, and got hit once. ONCE! I want to see our QB have all day to throw once in a while. We have the worst tackles in the league, possibly the worst I've ever seen.

The run blocking is even worse. We took the best running back in the 2021 draft, and now he's gun-shy, and possibly ruined, from getting blasted at or behind the line of scrimmage on 80% of his runs.

And who had the stupid idea to have a guard look around and tap the center and tell the whole world when we're going to snap the ball? I remember Ramon Foster doing the same thing. It's ******* stupid.

Tomlin must go.

Other than Daniels's awesome knock-down in defense of his QB, the offensive line gets a big FU from me. Some of you seem to think they're doing ok, but watch how much time the other team's QB gets to search for a receiver. Our QB has to hurry his throw every time. Allen had all day to throw, and got hit once. ONCE! I want to see our QB have all day to throw once in a while. We have the worst tackles in the league, possibly the worst I've ever seen.

The run blocking is even worse. We took the best running back in the 2021 draft, and now he's gun-shy, and possibly ruined, from getting blasted at or behind the line of scrimmage on 80% of his runs.

And who had the stupid idea to have a guard look around and tap the center and tell the whole world when we're going to snap the ball? I remember Ramon Foster doing the same thing. It's ******* stupid.

Tomlin must go.
Najee Harris is HURT! He's still sufferring from his LizFranc Injury.....you can see he's slow to get up, limps after plays, limps in practice. Something is not right with him. The Steelers staff needs to rest him and re-evaluate his injury before they do more damage to him. You can just see it in his eyes and his play on the field. As for the O-line....they are far better than a year ago and improving. If you want to see a terrible O-line with terrible tackles go back to 2003 and watch Todd "Turnstyle" Fordham at LT and Oliver Ross at RT...it doesn't get much worse than those 2 guys. It got so bad they actually moved Alan Faneca to LT for some games.

I got a feeling this will be a week full of lame excuses by the Steelers
i watched Tomlin address the media after the game. While regular me would be shocked if anything changed except the unleashing of hell and no ping pong. After watching his frustration level.. I think he just might make some big changes.

Coach is "Liking" posts in this thread. But not posting.. Hey Coach,, what are your thoughts on claypool now.?

He is changing from raybans to oakleys

With this play calling, poor offensive line blocking in all phases, poor defensive play, and lackadaisical WR play, I can see us at 1-7 at the bye week.

Will THAT be enough to fire an OC or head coach ?

How bad will it have to get before that happens ?

Tomlin hasn't had game day balls in a decade. He's hoodwinked the Rooneys and the national media into thinking he's competant. He's not. And he can't get out of town fast enough.
You're spot on, of course, but Tomlin won't be getting out of town anytime soon. He basically has an 8-figure lottery ticket for both 2023 and 2024.

One of (if not) THE biggest frauds among coaches in the modern era, in any sport.

Couldn't believe that Tomlin opted to kick a field goal down by 21 in the second quarter. Then he outdid himself by opting to kick a field goal down by 28 in the third quarter. After missing the field goal the first time. LOL. Incredible.

The run-run-pass-punt sequences were nauseating. Canada is an embarrassment.

Watching DJ continue to let passes go through his hands, or not being able to get two feet down when he does happen to catch the ball continues to frustrate the hell out of me each and every week. I know it's coming, but it still pisses me off.

The defense is completely lost without TJ Watt. No pressure, no heart. Nothing. Get well soon, 90.

As others have said, Brady will rip this team apart next Sunday. Maybe the Steelers will be able to hang with Miami in two weeks if the Dolphins have their third-string quarterback starting. Or maybe not.

I believe that Tomlin has run out of miracles -- the tide is finally going out, and people are at last going to realize that he's been swimming naked.

Antoine Randle-El is Wr coach in Detroit. He is the only non-qb in nfl history to throw a td pass in a super bowl. Interview him for HC. He is more qualified than Tomlin was when he was hired.