• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's...........Week 1 @ Atlanta

Chicoman

Reaction score
Well week 1 is in the books....it wasn't pretty I didn't expect much but I'll take the win. Justin Fields got the start today due to Wilson's injury and for the most part he looked like an Athletic version of Kenny Pickett which is about all we can expect at this point early in his Steelers career finishing with 156 yds for the game. He did amass 58 yds on the ground including a first down late in the 4th quarter that allowed the Steelers to use the most of the rest of the game clock. I'd call his performance gutsy as he was able to do just enough. As for the offense it was pretty much what I expected however I certainly think Jaylen Warren is deserving of more touches with the football. He went 2 & 1/2 Quarters of football and didn't even sniff the field......really don't understand that. He's an explosive player and to get only 4 touches with the football is criminal. The O-line did an ok job today giving Fields good time to throw....he's difficult to watch under center or standing in the pocket throwing. Chris Boswell is the real MVP here today.....6 FG's including 3 from 50+ not to mention having to come in late in the 4th Quarter and punt the football away to Atlanta deep in Steeler territory! Defensively this team looked pretty impressive especially on the backend in the secondary where we saw Donte Jackson make an impact in his first game as a Steeler. Beanie Bishop and DeShaun Elliot also contributed in the game. Our DB's seemed to be glued to the Falcons receivers downfield....that was perhaps the most impressive thing I noticed in this game defensively. I'd love to know the YAC the Falcons had because I don't think it was very much. TJ Watt had a great game....should have had 3 sacks today and 2 forced fumbles...,..he's a complete game wrecker! Upfront the Steelers started to get to Cousins in the 2nd half I think he completed only 2 passes in the 2nd Half of the game as the pressure started to get to him. It's going to be interesting seeing this team going forward to see if Fields improves his reads as a QB and how good this Defense truly is! Let's enjoy this one! We are onto Denver! Will Tomlin continue to start Fields or will Russell Wilson get the start vs his former team? Who would you start next week in Denver?

From Tomlin's Post Game:
Cameron Johnston - Appears to have a serious knee injury per Tomlin as he said it's not looking good for him
Darius Rush - Concussion being evaluated
Joey Jr & Donte Jackson - Both suffered injuries but were able to return

Game Balls:
Chris Boswell - What more can you say about him....6 FG's 3 from 50+ and he was clutch when he had to come in to punt for an injured Cameron Johnston (Hope it's not serious)
TJ Watt - Stats won't show it but he really wrecked this game. He should have had a strip sack in the first half but was called for a Neutral Zone but he timed that perfectly
Cam Heyward - Despite his age he still shows that he's a force up front out there 4 tackles today
Donte Jackson - Key INT today in the 4th Quarter......an impact player making a difference right away
George Pickens - 6 rec 85 yds.....way to step up in your 3rd year Mr. Pickens!
Minkah Fitzpatrick - 7 tackles today....a quiet day but he made a difference out there

Game Goats:
Arthur Smith - Giving him a goat because he needs to give Jaylen Warren more play time and more touches out there.

FU's:
Officiating in this game was below the line for sure. TJ Watt flagged for a Neutral Zone penalty was the absolute worst call....he timed it perfectly. That wasn't a Neutral Zone Penalty. It was just perfect timing....yes TJ Watt is that good! Watt could have had 3 sacks, 2 fumbles and a Fumble recovery today without the penalties. There were a couple of other really bad calls/non calls....saw TJ get tackles on 2 plays and blatantly held on another and no flags.

I always look forward to these.

Game Balls:
-TJ Watt-by far the best player on the field. As you said, the box score won't show how good he was.
-Chris Boswell-insane making 3 50+ yard field goals.
-Donte Jackson-a dropped INT, basically the game-sealing INT, a pass deflection. A good debut.
-Minkah Fitzpatrick-he's always in position to make a stop, even when he isn't.
-OL-given how many new pieces there were on this unit, they had a pretty good showing.

Game Goats:
-Conservative play calling on offense. I'm tired of it. Blame Tomlin or Smith, you have to let your playmakers make some plays.

FU's:
-The refs sucked. Pickens OPI, TJ's offside, Pickens down by contact, Jones unsportsmanlike conduct, no facemask on Najee, no roughing the punter. Not a good showing.

Last edited:
I always look forward to these.

Game Balls:
-TJ Watt-by far the best player on the field. As you said, the box score won't show how good he was.
-Chris Boswell-insane making 3 50+ yard field goals.
-Donte Jackson-a dropped INT, basically the game-sealing INT, a pass deflection. A good debut.
-Minkah Fitzpatrick-he's always in position to make a stop, even when he isn't.
-OL-given how many new pieces there were on this unit, they had a pretty good showing.

Game Goats:
-Conservative play calling on offense. I'm tired of it. Blame Tomlin or Smith, you have to let your playmakers make some plays.

FU's:
-The refs sucked. Pickens OPI, TJ's offside, Pickens down by contact, Jones unsportsmanlike conduct, no roughing the punter. Not a good showing.

I detest the officiating in these games.

Last edited:
Well week 1 is in the books....it wasn't pretty I didn't expect much but I'll take the win. Justin Fields got the start today due to Wilson's injury and for the most part he looked like an Athletic version of Kenny Pickett which is about all we can expect at this point early in his Steelers career finishing with 156 yds for the game. He did amass 58 yds on the ground including a first down late in the 4th quarter that allowed the Steelers to use the most of the rest of the game clock. I'd call his performance gutsy as he was able to do just enough. As for the offense it was pretty much what I expected however I certainly think Jaylen Warren is deserving of more touches with the football. He went 2 & 1/2 Quarters of football and didn't even sniff the field......really don't understand that. He's an explosive player and to get only 4 touches with the football is criminal. The O-line did an ok job today giving Fields good time to throw....he's difficult to watch under center or standing in the pocket throwing. Chris Boswell is the real MVP here today.....6 FG's including 3 from 50+ not to mention having to come in late in the 4th Quarter and punt the football away to Atlanta deep in Steeler territory! Defensively this team looked pretty impressive especially on the backend in the secondary where we saw Donte Jackson make an impact in his first game as a Steeler. Beanie Bishop and DeShaun Elliot also contributed in the game. Our DB's seemed to be glued to the Falcons receivers downfield....that was perhaps the most impressive thing I noticed in this game defensively. I'd love to know the YAC the Falcons had because I don't think it was very much. TJ Watt had a great game....should have had 3 sacks today and 2 forced fumbles...,..he's a complete game wrecker! Upfront the Steelers started to get to Cousins in the 2nd half I think he completed only 2 passes in the 2nd Half of the game as the pressure started to get to him. It's going to be interesting seeing this team going forward to see if Fields improves his reads as a QB and how good this Defense truly is! Let's enjoy this one! We are onto Denver! Will Tomlin continue to start Fields or will Russell Wilson get the start vs his former team? Who would you start next week in Denver?

From Tomlin's Post Game:
Cameron Johnston - Appears to have a serious knee injury per Tomlin as he said it's not looking good for him
Darius Rush - Concussion being evaluated
Joey Jr & Donte Jackson - Both suffered injuries but were able to return

Game Balls:
Chris Boswell - What more can you say about him....6 FG's 3 from 50+ and he was clutch when he had to come in to punt for an injured Cameron Johnston (Hope it's not serious)
TJ Watt - Stats won't show it but he really wrecked this game. He should have had a strip sack in the first half but was called for a Neutral Zone but he timed that perfectly
Cam Heyward - Despite his age he still shows that he's a force up front out there 4 tackles today
Donte Jackson - Key INT today in the 4th Quarter......an impact player making a difference right away
George Pickens - 6 rec 85 yds.....way to step up in your 3rd year Mr. Pickens!
Minkah Fitzpatrick - 7 tackles today....a quiet day but he made a difference out there

Game Goats:
Arthur Smith - Giving him a goat because he needs to give Jaylen Warren more play time and more touches out there.

FU's:
Officiating in this game was below the line for sure. TJ Watt flagged for a Neutral Zone penalty was the absolute worst call....he timed it perfectly. That wasn't a Neutral Zone Penalty. It was just perfect timing....yes TJ Watt is that good! Watt could have had 3 sacks, 2 fumbles and a Fumble recovery today without the penalties. There were a couple of other really bad calls/non calls....saw TJ get tackles on 2 plays and blatantly held on another and no flags.

Nice summation Chico!

I think Artie Smith’s offense will open up in a couple games. Needed to see what he has in the cart.

If you watch Warren, he’s still hurt. He was limping after his touches in the 2nd half.

Great play from the three rookies! Also noticed NFL has rookies wearing patches this year. What’s next?

I think the play calling was conservative because the defense had things shut down. This was an important win to start the schedule so they kept it simple. I believe things will open up as necessary. There were some glimpses it could today.

Tomlins wet dream come true. Run ball. A couple turnovers. Run clock.

We matched the 18 points per game that we averaged last year.

It was Cowher’s wet dream too. Guess he should have been fired before he got the Lombardi.

CAIII did a nice job with punt returns, was a little too hesitant on one. They need to get him more touches on offense.

I don’t know what is going on with officiating. Several calls this weekend where I don’t understand what they thought they saw or how they missed something. College and NFL games.

It was Cowher’s wet dream too. Guess he should have been fired before he got the Lombardi.
Holyshit.....you do realize we are playing in an entirely different era than when Cowher was our HC....right? Game is entirely different on the offensive side of the ball and the defensive side of the ball. Smh🙄

I think the play calling was conservative because the defense had things shut down. This was an important win to start the schedule so they kept it simple. I believe things will open up as necessary. There were some glimpses it could today.
I think they opened it up a bit as the game went on. As you said though...the D played lights out today. Props to the. Coaches for letting them actually play.

So. will Garvin get resigned?
Probably. Bring in 10 guys to punt...sign the best guy. Not hard. I would let Boz in on the try out....why not? LOL

I'm not suggesting but can envision Harvin. Just for the holding factor. Again don't shoot the messenger. I'm saying I could see them going there.
I hope they don't bring back Pressley Harvin. He's a guy that can cost us games with his inconsistency and his inability to be able to flip the football field with his punts!

Punter guy might be that bad off .....so I read in another thread per Tomlin.

A win is a win but the TFC is probably happy that they won a game without scoring a touchdown instead of it being cause for concern.

I hope they don't bring back Pressley Harvin. He's a guy that can cost us games with his inconsistency and his inability to be able to flip the football field with his punts!
I agree. Expect them to bring in several. But hold matters. So if all things equal.......

Guys were getting open. Fields doesn’t trust his reads and doesn’t throw with much anticipation. He’s still a work in progress. He reminded me of Kordell doing the look, look run.
I do like what was going on with the offense. I like the scheming/zone blocking for Najee.
It’s early, Donte Jackson for Dionte Johnson may have been the right move. He and JPJ could be a solid set of book ends.

Holyshit.....you do realize we are playing in an entirely different era than when Cowher was our HC....right? Game is entirely different on the offensive side of the ball and the defensive side of the ball. Smh🙄

The era has changed, as has the game (obviously), but the game planning hasn’t. Stop the run/Force the Pass is still the defense MO. Always has been. Until Maddox came along, a prolific passing attack was never first on offense. It was run the ball/game manager QB. Heck, Ben was handcuffed on offense by Chin as a rookie, because of Ben’s gifted backyard playmaking drove him crazy. Ben’s second year had the balanced attack under Whiz. Then BA became Ben’s best friend and opened up the pass with the spread and was getting him killed. Haley came in and reverted to the balanced attack with Ben/Bell/Brown.

Tomlin is now having to go through life after Ben phase. So the current game planning is the same as it’s always been. At least until another QB with some of intangibles Ben had arrives. I don’t think that player is currently on the roster, but Smith’s offense could be successful like Haley’s was.

The era has changed, as has the game (obviously), but the game planning hasn’t. Stop the run/Force the Pass is still the defense MO. Always has been. Until Maddox came along, a prolific passing attack was never first on offense. It was run the ball/game manager QB. Heck, Ben was handcuffed on offense by Chin as a rookie, because of Ben’s gifted backyard playmaking drove him crazy. Ben’s second year had the balanced attack under Whiz. Then BA became Ben’s best friend and opened up the pass with the spread and was getting him killed. Haley came in and reverted to the balanced attack with Ben/Bell/Brown.

Tomlin is now having to go through life after Ben phase. So the current game planning is the same as it’s always been. At least until another QB with some of intangibles Ben had arrives. I don’t think that player is currently on the roster, but Smith’s offense could be successful like Haley’s was.
Haley was good at taking what the other team would give you. Ben didn't like him because he had crazy ideas like running the ball against opponents with a bad run defense and not throwing long on every play.

Haley was good at taking what the other team would give you. Ben didn't like him because he had crazy ideas like running the ball against opponents with a bad run defense and not throwing long on every play.
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

Ben wanted to score 50 points every game even when they didn’t need to. But, can’t fault a competitor like that for a QB. Marino was the same until the last third of his career.

Tomlin plays a conservative offense and relies on his defense. We win 9 games during the regular season.....against the upper echelon teams in the playoffs.....how have we faired. Tomlin's style of play to this point without inherited players and coaches .....has netted many non-losing seasons......not much else though. Maybe this season he learns from his past failures and ecolves into an all around HC. Not just for the regular season but post season.

I will say...what I saw feom our defense today gives me some hope.