• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's................Week 1 vs 49'ers......

Chicoman

Reaction score
Well so much promise in the preseason and then our Steelers come out against one of the top NFL teams this season and get absolutely destroyed 30-7 at home. I'll say this was a heaping helping of humble pie but it's a long season and there's 16 more games to go. Looking back at this game several things stood out to me on both the offensive and defensive side of the football. Today Kenny Pickett played his worst game as a Pittsburgh Steeler.....irratic throws, over, behind and showing innacuracy throughout the whole game....he wasn't good at all. Maybe it was the 49'ers Defense but he missed some wide open WR's today and looked pretty bad for most of the game and that can't happen. The O-line did ok in protection until later in the game they started to fall apart as Pickett was sacked 5 times on the day. On the Defensive Side of the football there's just too much talent out there for the Defense to go out there and perform like they did today (393 yds given up by our Defense) I still think this is more of a problem with our DC Teryl Austin than it is the talent on the Defense. The secondary looks very shaky and just not good and that's frustrating because it's what the Steelers worked most on in the off-season. I'd rather see Joey Jr. out there than Patrick Peterson or Levi Wallace....they are just not very good. Time of Posession today 38 minutes to 22 minutes for our Steelers is not going to win many games when you can't control the clock. It's hard to find much positive in this game but TJ Watt is an absolute BEAST! Perhaps worse than the loss to start the season is the injuries we suffered as we lost key players on both sides of the football and it's only Week 1. I hope the injuries aren't serious....I'm a little worried about Dionte Johnson because he went down without any contact. He was grabbing his hamstring and not his knee. Suddenly after Week 1 we are the Walking Wounded. I'm not going to dwell on this loss because the Steelers have a very tough home game at Cleveland next Monday Night and the Steelers need to focus on that matchup against the Browns which IMO is now a MUST WIN game becuase the Steelers go on the road the following week to the Raiders and the Steelers always play like **** on the road vs the Raiders.

As per Tomlin's Post Game:
Cam Heyward - Groin injury that's being evaluated
Demarvin Leal - Triceps injury
Chuck Okorofor - Late game injury that's being evaluated (no Information)
Dionte Johnson - Hamstring
Pat Freirmuth - Chest Injury

Game Balls:
TJ Watt - 3 Sacks 1 FF & 1 fumble recovery......he's the best Defensive player in the NFL!

Anthony McFarland - I'm giving him a game ball because I thought he did very good on Kickoff Returns.....If he keeps playing like he did today he's going to break one before the season ends. He also had a couple receptions, one converting a key 3rd down.

Game Goats:
Kenny Pickett - His worst game as a Steeler today (4.3 YPA). Terrible decision making on his throws, especially the one to Heyward over the middle into Double Coverage. He was Irratic on his throws all game, missing wide open receivers and inaccurate on his throws behind and over his receivers.

Patrick Peterson - This guy is just the type of player the Steelers don't need! 10+ year veteran player running his mouth all week before the game! He was smoked all day by Aiyuk who carved up the Steelers DB for 2 first half TD's.

Levi Wallace - This guy is a bum! Watch his run support or lack of it on the 65 yd TD run by McCaffrey....Wallace took a terrible angle at him and he bounced it outside and it was a footrace. He also gave up easy throws underneath to Aiyuk and the other 49'ers WR's. He gave up too many first downs on 3rd & long. I lost count but was at least 6 conversions.

Steelers D-Line - When Cam Hewyard went down the 49'ers really started to get the running game going.....Leal & Loudermilk might have been the best 2 guys out there but that's not saying much....as a unit they didn't hold up well against the 49'ers O-line as the 49'ers had 188 yds rushing averaging 5.5 YPC

FU's:
Teryl Austin - This guy is the real problem with our Defense! He was absolutely awful in Detroit from 2014-2017 (Points allowed 282, 400, 358, & 376) and in 2018 in Cincy (455 Points allowed) they became one of the worst Defenses in NFL History! Last Season in Pittsburgh (346 Points Allowed)

Game ball Watt
Game goat Pickett
FU Tomlin Austin Canada

Pickett needs to get into the game ball category in the future, and others will follow. The FUs are just a given.

Great post as always.

However Austin is Tomlins puppet so Tomlin gets my FU for the defensive turd and for keeping Canaduh and the offense looking eerily similar to the first half of last season.

We also remain light years behind the elite teams in this league except for the ones in our division, ie the ones Tomlin needs to make a new game plan against

this team was very undisciplined today. two minute offense, warren makes a first down and stands there holding the ball going look at me I made a first down. this all falls on coaching.

I will keep watching and cheering for the team but I am done hoping and praying we become a contender until this entire coaching staff is ******* gone. you want to put all the blame on Canada or Austin that's fine do you but this is and has been Tomlins team for to ******* long. personally I'm sick of the non losing season bullshit.

A pathetic showing. I'm off the Kool-Aid. No one gets a game ball. Even if your name is Watt.

I think I was wrong in my optimism of Kenny. Against a real defense, he sucks.

this team was very undisciplined today. two minute offense, warren makes a first down and stands there holding the ball going look at me I made a first down. this all falls on coaching.

I will keep watching and cheering for the team but I am done hoping and praying we become a contender until this entire coaching staff is ******* gone. you want to put all the blame on Canada or Austin that's fine do you but this is and has been Tomlins team for to ******* long. personally I'm sick of the non losing season bullshit.
I've been in this mindset for around 10 years now. Each new season, I think ok,they'll change. Nope. Same mediocrity. Go on a little run enough to not have a losing season,then get smashed in the playoffs.

DJ will most likely be toast for 4-6 weeks if nor longer. Cam may have issues all season. He's no spring chicken.

I can see Pickens having a meltdown pretty soon.

Oh well. At least my expectations are already in tune with the last decade.

Game Ball
-TJ Watt - Outside of McFarland on kickoff returns, the only player to show up today.

Goats
-Offensive line was garbage
-Wide receivers couldn't get open most of the day
-Defensive line got shredded

FUs
-Kenny Pickett looked like an undrafted free agent today. Zero excuses to look that bad in year two.

The only interesting news was a report of Shakira sitting in the passenger seat of the luxury S10 pickup. Please post the pictures here. The ones I saw were blurry.

This is what we look like versus a playoff caliber team.

Patrick Peterson - This guy is just the type of player the Steelers don't need! 10+ year veteran player running his mouth all week before the game! He was smoked all day by Aiyuk who carved up the Steelers DB for 2 first half TD's.
What a difference a real game makes..... lol.
All offseason he was hyped as a welcome addition, veteran leadership, a great sign by Kahn etc. The media loved it. As did I.
To be fair he had great coverage on the 2nd TD. There wasn’t more he could do on that.
I thought Kazee had a lousy game as well.
I was disappointed with our LB’s as well.

The one thing Sarge said during the game stuck with me and so far he’s been right. Like it or not

“Guy hasn’t had a great game. Really hasn’t had any good games. He’s had some good moments,but that’s about it”

This isn’t to say that I’ve given up on Kenny Far from it. He made some horrible decisions and throws today., let’s hope today’s game is just another learning experience towards improvement. A very disappointing game.

On a bright note my eggs benny with smoked salmon and avocado tasted amazing for my gameday breakfast. My fried new potatoes with red peppers and purple onions were great. Have a little work to do on my hollandaise sauce. But hey...... it’s only the first game. I’ll get better.

What about the coaching. Again.
Yes yes lasher play blah blah blah. Another year and the OC blows. MT is, well, has his shades.