• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.............week 10..................vs Saints.....

Chicoman

Reaction score
This was a good team building win for a young team that has had more downs than ups this season. It was hard early on and it seemed that Pickett struggled with accuracy issues as he was under constant pressure much of the game but Pickett was able to get the win despite being sacked 6 times and under pressure throughout the day. The running game led the way to victory today as the Steelers ran for 212 yards on the day....the first 200+ yd rushing performance in over six years for the Steelers. I thought Kenny Pickett did a good job today protecting the football and made some nice throws and smart decisions instead of forcing the throw......I'd call it progress for him. Najee Harris showed up to play this game as his 36 yd run early in the first half set the tone physically that he was running with bad intentions all day.....good to see.....I'm hoping Najee is starting to realize his role as an 240lb NFL RB. Jaylen Warren is a guy they need to give more touches to throughout the game. If the Steelers O-line can keep opening holes like they did today for this running game the Steelers and Kenny Pickett could have a nice second half of the season. I still think the Steelers left side of the O-line is where all the problems we see.....Kevin Dotson and Dan Moore both struggle badly in pass protection and we can't have that going forward....they need an anchor LT in the 2023 NFL Draft to protect his blind side before he gets seriously hurt. Maybe Dan Moore can be serviceable at LG? Defensively it was nice to see TJ Watt return and get through the game unscathed without an injury. Steelers got good pressure up front today with Ogunjobi, Heyward & Adams and Alex Highsmith added 2 sacks on the day and forced a fumble too. Late in the 4th Quarter they forced 2 turnovers by Andy Dalton one picked off by Kazee & another by Wallace who had great coverage on his man and was able to come away with the INT. There were a few bone headed penalties on Defense late in the first half that led to the Saints game tying TD the worst was by Kazee who blasted the WR with a helmet to helmet hit. I saw the penalty on Pierre on that punt return but I didn't see him touch him....was that just a bad call or was Pierre at fault on that punt return? Lets enjoy this one as a good victory this season is going to be few and far between.....good team win. In other news....Chase Claypool 1 rec 8 yds....Bears lose another that 2nd round pick from the Bears is looking better and better!

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
No significant injuries in this game other than the typical bumps and bruises associated with the game

Game Balls:
Najee Harris - Good game for him 20 rushes for 99 yds.....he ran angry today.....this is what we expect from #22
Jaylen Warren - 9 rushes 37 yds, 3 rec 40 yds......he needs to touch the football more.....he is a dual threat out there on the football field
Alex Highsmith - 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble
Chuck Okorafor - Good all around today...our best O-linemen....also nice alertness recovering Najee Harris's fumble in the 4th QTR.
Heyward, Ogunjobi, Adams - They got good pressure up front today all day
Levi Wallace - 5 tackles, 1 Int today and 2 passes Defensed....one of them intercepted by Kazee.....Levi's best game as a Steeler so far.

Game Goats:
Matthew Wright - This guy can't stay on the roster after his performance today.....2 missed FG's today....they are lucky it didn't cost them today.
Dan Moore & Kevin Dotson - These guys are place holders right now....neither guy should be on this roster after this season....they are awful!

FU's:
Matt Canada - After 8 ******* games you finally decide to run a slant? And guess what it worked....every time they ran a slant today! **** YOU I STILL HATE YOU!

Can't disagree cuz I didn't see the whole game.

I don't like Matt Wright. Dotson and Moore have been the weakest links on the OL since game 1.

I'm hearing Kenny struggled but I'm watching the game now on NFL+...

Nice post.

But the reality remains the same. We had a home game against a bad team and we still were nothing special. Tomlin has zero feel for a game or its flow. It was easy to see our kicker was having a trash game (even if we assume he is otherwise ok) after the almost-blocked kick where he started the kick far too late. But Tomlin goes for a long FG instead of going for it on a play where we all probably knew a miss was likely. Canada was Canada. Spillane. WTH? Why is he seeing the field? Pickens made great plays so we cut him out when he showed too much. There is more, but no reason to go into it.

We will win just enough to screw ourselves out of the pick we need. And understand I am not cheering for us to lose. I am cheering for us to fire people that need fired (coaches and players) so we can succeed. The latter won't happen; the former will.

I don't like Matt Wright. Dotson and Moore have been the weakest links on the OL since game 1.

Kenny didn't have a terrible game....he tossed no INT's.....he didn't try to force the ball. He missed some throws......the Saints pressured him all day.....I give the rookie some props today for hanging tough and making the plays when he did to give team the win. Overall grade I'd say C+

Kenny gets a lot of passes for his last two games from some folks. Passes he wouldn't get if he was say, an QB from tOSU. I bring that up because I'm willing to give Kenny a pass on the year due to Canada, OL, etc. Just look at the jump Fields, Lawrence and a guy like Josh Allen made in year 2. But, I'd also like to see some progress this year with all that film work he's being lauded for. Seems like the guys were "in their books" and Kenny wasn't making the throws he should be after calling out his teammates. Leaders don't only lead with their mouths.

Still so many dead first down play calls. Kenny is just decidedly average. I'll give him props for eliminating the turnovers today, but his accuracy needs work. If the running game wasn't working today, this game woulda looked like all the losses this year. This game was progress, sure, but it's not like ll of the team's woes are now gone.

Game ball to Kazee. great 1st Steeler game and to TJ - the defense plays so different with this guy on the field

game goat to all those Steeler fans that cant post anything positive about their team.

FU- no one great team win!!!

I keep saying that you have to be patient with a rookie QB in this league. It will come and he will grow more and more comfortable but he really needs to be put in a position to succeed and this scenario ain’t it.
Canada is a busher! A third rate hack that has no business being an OC in the NFL.
Art needs to get this thing right and make sure Canada gets fired and they need to bring in a real OC from outside the organization after the season.
This is still a pop gun offense where they refuse to work the middle of the field, run slants and crossing patterns. Thats plan nuts!
The couple times they used the middle today it was successful.
I would not have concerns about Kenny. He will
be fine and when they dump Canada he will be much better for it.

FU's:
Matt Canada - After 8 ******* games you finally decide to run a slant? And guess what it worked....every time they ran a slant today! **** YOU I STILL HATE YOU!

That was closer to old school ground&pound steeler ball. I love those kinda games. Don't put too much on your rookie. Perfect. Yeah he was gun shy,but I think the absolute goal was no forcing it,no turnovers. He threw it away and ran when needed. Mission accomplished.Kenny is definitely not afraid of a qb sneak.

Keep grinding.

A shutout on defense in the second half! Woot.

That was closer to old school ground&pound steeler ball. I love those kinda games. Don't put too much on your rookie. Perfect. Yeah he was gun shy,but I think the absolute goal was no forcing it,no turnovers. He threw it away and ran when needed. Mission accomplished.Kenny is definitely not afraid of a qb sneak.

Keep grinding.

A shutout on defense in the second half! Woot.
agreed 100%

I agree with Blitz. A good team win. While not a lot of points and the kicker had a rough day, the offense moved the ball well enough for balance in time and the defense played great. I will add to game balls Arthur Maulet. He seemed involved in every great play the first half.

Pickett was cold and hot, but I liked how he protected the ball better. I think at times his accuracy isn't up to par and other times he is making some nice NFL throws. I think the arrow is pointing up on his future.

Watt and Kaz makes the D better.

Still think the team is a LT/LG/WR/ CB short. Perhaps they can address a few of these needs in free agency. Would like Larry and Sutton resigned if possible.

Game Balls:
-TJ Watt: He may not have registered a sack but his presence was felt.
-Highsmith: After a quiet couple of weeks, he was a disruptive force today.
-Kazee: He was thrown into the fire in his first game of the season with Fitzpatrick being out. Played well and had a big INT.
-Harris: Best game of the season. Maybe we can get Tommy Jaggi to call out some other guys in interviews this week.
-Detroit Lions: Big comeback win over the Bears.

Goats:
-Wright: Oof, he will be off the roster tomorrow.

The Steelers time of possession was 38:56. That's keeping the ball and grinding.

Kenny Pickett was 18/30 199yards ,0int,0td 11.1 average per pass attempt, sacked 6 times. Rushing 8 for 51 yards and a TD, 6.4 average per rush, a long of 23 yards.

It was a good day on the ground by everyone. Najee looked like the cat from last year.

I like the physicality.

Is it just me being biased?
It seems Dalton had the luxury of throwing to receivers in open space, while Picket always has to try to thread the ball because a defender is always draped all over our receivers.
The receivers were blanketed for much of the day. There was one play where DJ had a few yards on the defender for a possible TD pass but Pickett threw what was probably his worst pass of the day.

It seems Dalton had the luxury of throwing to receivers in open space, while Picket always has to try to thread the ball because a defender is always draped all over our receivers.

No, you are not being biased. Steelers WR, TE are very, very, VERY rarely wide open.

No. It's been so long since I've seen the Steelers wide receivers have wide open space. It's normally from defensive backs falling down when they do.

That zone they've been running for a billion years leaves spots open if you're not stacked with talent. Remember how many years the defense left the middle of the field wide open. The pats**** exploited the **** out of that.

Now it's reversed some, the Steelers offense won't really use the middle. They damn sure won't be wide open like the steeler defense allows when it's like 3rd&14.

Game Balls:
-TJ Watt: He may not have registered a sack but his presence was felt.
-Highsmith: After a quiet couple of weeks, he was a disruptive force today.
-Kazee: He was thrown into the fire in his first game of the season with Fitzpatrick being out. Played well and had a big INT.
-Harris: Best game of the season. Maybe we can get Tommy Jaggi to call out some other guys in interviews this week.
-Detroit Lions: Big comeback win over the Bears.

Goats:
-Wright: Oof, he will be off the roster tomorrow.
Will he? I thought they were stuck with him a few games after plucking him off a PS.