• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's...........week 13..............@ Atlanta

Chicoman

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but this game had my emotions all over the place. From an offensive standpoint I like what I saw in the first half and thought the offense moved the ball pretty well but I would have liked to see a few more TD's and a few less FG's. Pickett had no touch on a throw intended for Freiermuth that have been an easy TD but he adjusted and had a nice touch pass to Heyward for a TD two drives later. It's all part of the growing up process but I still like what I see from Pickett. Some of you in the Game Thread made more excuses for Mitch Trubisky than you do for Kenny Pickett. Kenny looks pretty damn good for a rookie and he's getting better and better. I really was hoping to see a little more from the offensive side of the football in the second half but this seems to be the trend with Matt Canada as our OC. Najee Harris had a nice bounce back game with some yards after contact today quieting his doubters about his ability as our #1 RB. I didn't see any "CRUNCH" run plays called this week which worked pretty good last week....not sure why we didn't see some of those run calls today. I'm baffled right now at the lack of throws to George Pickens in this game. I saw several plays where he was wide open....one in the 2nd Quarter for an easy TD but Pickett hit Muth for a big catch and run. Was this what Tomlin called for in Monday's Post Game "Gotta make extra effort to get Dionte the Football"? 11 targets to Dionte Johnson and 2 targets to George Pickens is criminal! IMO PIckens has done more to warrant more throws to him than Johnson has done to warrant throws to Johnson. I can certainly understand Pickens being upset and pissed off coming home to Atlanta where he played his college ball I know he wanted to make an impact. Pickens needs to be more involved in the passing attack without question.

Defensively it's getting harder to watch them week in, week out. I'm starting to wonder who's more of a hindrance to their respective units.....Matt Canada for the offense or Teryl Austin for the Defense? The Steelers defense had it easy in the first half as the Steelers held the football for almost 20 minutes of the first Half and Atlanta couldn't get their offense going. In the 2nd Half our Defense was manhandled for most of the second half. Our front 7 were getting blown off the line of scrimmage as Atlanta pretty much imposed their will against Pittsburgh. It wasn't until a punt to the 1 yd line and Minkah Fitzpatrick making a good read on Mariotta that the Defense actually did something in the 2nd half to seal the victory. TJ Watt is nowhere near 100% out there and it's very obvious in watching him play. Alex Highsmith was practically invisible in this game finishing with 1 tackle. Really wasn't impressed with the performance of this Defense today. Luckily Minkah Fitzpatrick came up big on the final drive.

Gotta give props to Matthew Wright and the Steelers special teams keeping the ball way for Corderelle Patterson who is a game changer on Special Teams.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Chucks Okorafor - shoulder but was able to return to the game
TJ Watt - Tomlin said he was pretty beat up but doesn't know if his injuries are signifcant

Game Balls:
Najee Harris - 17 carries 86 yds 1 rec 6 yds - Good bounce back game for Harris. Great YAC today......5.05 YPC
Pat Freiermuth - 3 Rec 76 yds including a big 57 yd catch & run that showed great effort
Matthew Wright - 4 for 4 FG's....Boswell is due back next week so if this was his last game he went out with a bang! Someone should sign him!
Pressley Harvin - only 2 punts today but that final punt to the 1 yd line put a nail in the coffin of the Falcons today
Minkah Fitzpatrick - One of the men among boys today on Defense including the game winning INT sealing the victory for Pittburgh
Steelers O-line - a couple penalties today on Dan Moore & Kevin Dotson but the Steelers O-line played really good today especially James Daniels and Chuck Okorafor

Game Goats:
Dionte Johnson - 11 targets 5 rec 50 yds....less than 50% catching passes....You clearly fumbled the ball away in the 4th Quarter but the refs cut you a break. Send them half your game check please!
Steelers Defense front 7 = Getting blown off the line of scrimmage in the 2nd half
Stephen Sims - I think today was his 3rd muff of the season and he dropped a couple balls that should have been receptions also. He's not good!

FU's:
Matt Canada - Please for the love of god remove that Jet Sweep from the ******* playbook! I cringe and hold my breath everytime I see it coming.
Teryl Austin - This guy completely SUCKS! Our Defense is worse than last season and we have arguably better players this season! FIRE HIM ALONG WITH CANADA!

Kenny P. Keeps getting better and better. He’s really learning the game on the fly thanks to cool shades but he’s been up to it.
Yes, had some misses but had some very catchable balls today. I counted two that Sims should have had and three butterfingers Johnson should have had. That crossing pattern was a bad drop.
Kenny needs help at LT and LG next year. Also needs a solid WR he can rely on that’s not on this current team. Johnson is just not reliable nor is he consistent and PIckens needs to grow the **** up but fast. It’s not about him and he needs to be lectured on that TOMLIN.
Kenny is the future so they better help him out next year.

I follow the ball, so I do not notice the intricacies of the OL play, I did notice that Daniels was immediately calling for a penalty on one play, I believe it was the call for horse collaring on Snell, it is nice to see him so involved in the game, that far down the field.

Watt was nursing a rib injury nothing to do with his previous injury. That is Watt is slowing him.

This game just reinforced what I think is needed by draft or free agency.

A CB, a LT, a WR, a DT or DE. Then address ILber and SS. I am ok resigning Edmunds. I would be ok with Bush on a similar type deal Edmunds got. Sutton is my priority resign.

Nice write up Chicoman, appreciate these.

FUs
O'Canada & his counter part Austin (tomlin)
DJ and Simms

Game Balls
D.WATT- last five consecutive 3rd down touches have been converted for 1st downs.
P.Harvin - pin on 1 yard line

Salute the nation

The Steelers are a bunch of bullshitters. How a team can have two halves of football so different from one another is mind boggling. For example…

Kenny Pickett first half: 10-19-145-1 TD

Kenny Pickett second half: 6-9-52-0 TD

FU's:
Matt Canada - Please for the love of god remove that Jet Sweep from the ******* playbook! I cringe and hold my breath everytime I see it coming.
Teryl Austin - This guy completely SUCKS! Our Defense is worse than last season and we have arguably better players this season! FIRE HIM ALONG WITH CANADA!
My fear now is that with the offense looking better, Shades won't fire Canaduh after the season and say something like "The arrow is pointing up and you don't change horses in the middle of the stream when the butter is melting in the sun." In one of 81's articles on FB it was said that he has one more year on his contract so he must have got an extension with his promotion. If Deuce had to choose between 0-17 with Canaduh or 11-6 while paying two OC's, he'd have to think long and hard about it.

They need to put Austin back in his old job, promote Flores to DC, and tell Shades that you don't say **** to him except "good morning".

My fear now is that with the offense looking better, Shades won't fire Canaduh after the season and say something like "The arrow is pointing up and you don't change horses in the middle of the stream when the butter is melting in the sun." In one of 81's articles on FB it was said that he has one more year on his contract so he must have got an extension with his promotion. If Deuce had to choose between 0-17 with Canaduh or 11-6 while paying two OC's, he'd have to think long and hard about it.

They need to put Austin back in his old job, promote Flores to DC, and tell Shades that you don't say **** to him except "good morning".

Preach it.

FU Canada!!!

The Steelers are a bunch of bullshitters. How a team can have two halves of football so different from one another is mind boggling. For example…

They are tightening the reigns in the second half as they are trying to be conservative and take a safer approach. I think that is why the second half hasn't been looking as good. Living in their fears.

It wasn’t so much as Pickett and the offense as it was the defense couldn’t get off the field because they were getting gashed.

They are tightening the reigns in the second half as they are trying to be conservative and take a safer approach. I think that is why the second half hasn't been looking as good. Living in their fears.

That's the thing, they are to conservative. They are playing not to lose and that is a sure fire way to let teams back into the game.

At the end of the 1/2, there was time for a hurry up offense, let the rookie call / listen (helmet mic) plays and roll. Just to see if something could have been made for points.

Until better play calling and better team wide coaching improves, this team is clinging, not climbing.

EDIT: I do see improvement in some but not overall. Still to many "fine lines" to be a power-house.

Salute the nation

It wasn’t so much as Pickett and the offense as it was the defense couldn’t get off the field because they were getting gashed.
Pickett wasn’t the mark. He was the example. He is capable of more. The coaching staff is full of ****. They are bullshitting at every turn.

That's the thing, they are to conservative. They are playing not to lose and that is a sure fire way to let teams back into the game.

At the end of the 1/2, there was time for a hurry up offense, let the rookie call / listen (helmet mic) plays and roll. Just to see if something could have been made for points.

Until better play calling and better team wide coaching improves, this team is clinging, not climbing.

EDIT: I do see improvement in some but not overall. Still to many "fine lines" to be a power-house.

Salute the nation

I mean we saw this for years, but it was often hidden by Ben going crazy in the last two minutes of each half…
Almost every Ravens game was an ultra conservative gameplan except that one where ben threw 6 tds… we play for games to be decided in the last minutes… thats why its always a damn heart attack ending

this and they simply do not make adjustments in the second half. I have never seen a team stick to the same gameplan no matter what

Kenny P. Keeps getting better and better. He’s really learning the game on the fly thanks to cool shades but he’s been up to it.
Yes, had some misses but had some very catchable balls today. I counted two that Sims should have had and three butterfingers Johnson should have had. That crossing pattern was a bad drop.
Kenny needs help at LT and LG next year. Also needs a solid WR he can rely on that’s not on this current team. Johnson is just not reliable nor is he consistent and PIckens needs to grow the **** up but fast. It’s not about him and he needs to be lectured on that TOMLIN.
Kenny is the future so they better help him out next year.
I disagree about the Pickens growing up part. I’d be pretty ******* hot, too, watching a player be forced the ball over, and over, and over, only to watch that player completely fail everyone else on the field time, and time again. There is ZERO excuses for Johnson. Dude wanted the money, got the money he didn’t really deserve, and hasn’t proven himself to be the ******* #1 that he’s paid to do. Meanwhile, it almost seems like GP is in the coaches dog house for something. However, Johnson, and his inability to catch, and hold onto a football, or dig in for more yardage is rewarded with 11 ******* targets today (catching all of 4 of them, btw).

Good write-up, Chicoman and spot on. The Falcons opening drive of the 2nd half they were running the ball down the Steelers throat and inexplicably then started throwing the ball from the Steelers 40 yardline. Next possession, they kept running it and scored their TD.

I could see the holes open up on the right side of the Falcons offensive line, the left side of the Steelers D. The Steelers played almost the entire game with 4 defensive linemen, including Watt and Highsmith as DE's. They take a wide set, and once the C and G double-team the DT, the defensive line just disappears.

Use a nose tackle, Mike.

Good write-up, Chicoman and spot on. The Falcons opening drive of the 2nd half they were running the ball down the Steelers throat and inexplicably then started throwing the ball from the Steelers 40 yardline. Next possession, they kept running it and scored their TD.

I could see the holes open up on the right side of the Falcons offensive line, the left side of the Steelers D. The Steelers played almost the entire game with 4 defensive linemen, including Watt and Highsmith as DE's. They take a wide set, and once the C and G double-team the DT, the defensive line just disappears.

Use a nose tackle, Mike.
They need an upgrade at DT...

Use a nose tackle, Mike.
Adams was in there with two more DT, be it Cam, Larry or Wormley. They ran it down their throats with a 3 true DL front

I disagree about the Pickens growing up part. I’d be pretty ******* hot, too, watching a player be forced the ball over, and over, and over, only to watch that player completely fail everyone else on the field time, and time again. There is ZERO excuses for Johnson. Dude wanted the money, got the money he didn’t really deserve, and hasn’t proven himself to be the ******* #1 that he’s paid to do. Meanwhile, it almost seems like GP is in the coaches dog house for something. However, Johnson, and his inability to catch, and hold onto a football, or dig in for more yardage is rewarded with 11 ******* targets today (catching all of 4 of them, btw).
I’m not happy with Johnson either and think we paid for a receiver who continues to be inconsistent, unreliable, and certainly not the go to guy I had envisioned for Kenny.
Pickens on the other hand as we all know has a wealth of talent, no doubt, but especially as a rookie, he simply cannot display that type behavior.
He’s supposed to be a professional and is expected to act like one.
I get that he’s frustrated and I don’t know why he only was targeted twice today as that would be a question for Tomlin at his presser Tuesday.
Not aware of of why he’d be in Tomlin’s doghouse but if he is that’s stupid on Tomlin’s part as an act of punishment for PIckens when in fact he’s punishing the team.

Adams was in there with two more DT, be it Cam, Larry or Wormley. They ran it down their throats with a 3 true DL front

Not what I saw, Litos. I suspect that the 2 down linemen, Watt, Highsmith is a version of dime with somebody else (Maulet?) on the field and Steelers came out 2nd half running that look repeatedly while being gashed.

Kudos to the kickoff coverage. After Monday's game, and facing the NFL all-time leader in kickoff returns for TD's ... yikes. First kickoff, very high, receiver catches at the 10-yard line and coverage smothers him. Bode well for the rest of the game.