• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's............week 7.......vs JETS

Chicoman

Reaction score
I think the entire Steeler Nation was biting their nails this week in anticipation of Russell Wilson getting his first start as a Steeler despite a 4-2 start with Justin Fields as the starting QB. He started off the game looking pretty terrible going 3 & OUT on 4 of his first 5 drives however he settled down and started to show why he's the #1 QB on this roster. The touch on some of his throws was something we haven't seen from Justin Fields and I also saw some plays with Wilson in there that the Steelers haven't run with Justin Fields all season. We also for the first time had a veteran presence on the offensive side of the football in Russell Wilson, something we haven't had since Big Ben and I think that kept a collective calm in that huddle when the team struggled to move the football in the first half. When the Steelers seemed to start throwing the ball downfield with Wilson to Pickens it really seemed to open up the running game. From what I saw tonight Wilson isn't as mobile as Fields but he can still extend the play out there on the field. We watched Wilson lead the Steelers on their last 5 drives to 4 Touchdowns & a Field Goal tonight against a pretty darn good JETS Defense too. I don't wanna get ahead of ourselves here but tonight was a GIANT step forward for this offense tonight! Defensively it was the Beanie Bishop Show tonight....2 INT's for the rookie and one he almost returned for a Pick Six! Steelers had some moments out there in the first half highlighted by sloppy tackling. The Steelers Defense really took over in the second half of this game! Welcome back Alex Highsmith......still need Herbig back to be full strength out there but they're getting healthy again. The feel good moment in the game had to be the moment the Steelers blocked the JETS FG attempt and the players celebrating with Danny Smith on the sideline.....gave me a good chuckle! Steelers special teams this year have been very good this year and I'm happy for Danny Smith. Lets enjoy this one for 24 hours and GO BUCS tomorrow! Going forward I'm hoping some of Wilsons veteran leadership begins to rub off on guys like Pickens and others out there.

Per Mike Tomlin's Post Game:
Montravius Adams - Knee injury wasn't able to return
Donte Jackson - Shoulder injury wasn't able to return

Game Balls:
Russell Wilson - 16 for 29 264 yds 2TD passes 1 rushing - 3TD's over 9.1 YPA on his throws....been a long time since a Steelers QB has had numbers like that
Najee Harris - 21 carries 102 yds 1TD
Jaylen Warren - 12 carries for 44 yds, 2 rec 15 yds.....his blitz pickups tonight were excellent and were keys to extending drives tonight
Beanie Bishop - 2 INT's, 6 tackles - Welcome to the NFL Beanie......was really pulling for him on his 2nd INT to get the TD but he came up a yard short
George Pickens - 5 rec 111yds 1 TD - I still say he hasn't hit his potential yet
Chris Boswell - 3 FG's, 4XP's tonight....another day at the office for The Boz!
Danny Smith - Was definitely a fun moment to see his special teamers celebrate the blocked FG with him on the sideline.....a Feel Good moment for a good guy!

Game Goats:
Broderick Jones - He had a really rough game tonight from what I saw....he was beaten too often by his man out there

FU's:
FU to Aaron Rogers and the Jets.......Except for Harbaugh & The Rats there might not be another player I enjoy more watching lose the game!

George Pickens - if I have to go 41 games until his next touchdown…….

FU to Canada, Pickett, and any others who slow walked or did not believe in his athletic talent.

George-keep working hard, you have a gift, let your catches do the talking because they are amazing. Use Hines Ward as a role model, hard work, have fun, SMILE, and hit them hard. The nation loves that type of player.

Salute the nation
Pickett and Canada played no role in this game.
Unless someone sets me straight, I’m not aware of Pickett and Canada ever doubting Pickens athletic abilities.

Last edited:
Pickett and Canada played no role in this game.
Unless someone sets me straight, I’m not aware of Pickett and Canada ever doubting Pickens athletic abilities.
You are out of your gourd

Guess who else played his role...Justin Fields holding a clipboard & taking notes from a proper professional QB

I think Wilson had what 50 some completion on the day. As he started out a rusty nail, then nailed it home. Spreading the ball around which by getting the offense more involved will help the unit develop cohesion. He would get my game ball.

Arthur Smith gets my special recognition. I thought what he did in Tennessee was impressive and he is beginning to show that he is a very capable offensive coordinator.

I said before the game that the secondary was going to be tested. AR still has a top shelf release and showed it. Still the D’s shoddy tackling early made their O look impressive. But saying that JPJ brought the opposite impression. His tackling was good and his coverage was even better. He has the ability to be a shut down corner. I believe he is developing into just that.

This offense missed Warren as him and Najee pair well together. Thunder and lightning. Ok Warren isn’t back to lightning yet but he is angling toward being back to form. Najee continued to run hard. His strength is his power when he focuses in on that good things.

Now for my WOAT the refs. That game was heavily pointed toward the Jets. They awarded the Jets two points as that was an unassisted block. It was clear as the light of day. Then they blew early whistles late in the game. The pile was moving and they were moving towards trying to impact the game.

A big DIC cattle poker red hot f**k you and the horse you rode in on. I had read before hand they tend to favor the road team, that group. It showed.

Gameball: Pickens making circus catches and also drawing PI. Muth also made a great catch. Bishop with 2 ints and was all over the place. Wilson played well for being Rusty. Special teams with 2 blocked kicks. Najee and Warren were back to complimenting each other.
GOATS: Was a solid win. Jones was awful early on, but didn't notice it as much in the second half so I don't think he gets a goat. The refs definitely get a goat. One play heywards blocker fell down and pulled heyward down from behind and nothing. They missed the xp block call, Pickens was being mugged, etc etc lots of bad....
FU - The fans early on booing Russ. He did throw 2 terrible passes in a row but fans needed to give him a chance

I said it in the game day thread and I'll admit it here, again, I wanted to 'pull the plug' on Russ too early because he looked terrible in the early drives of the game - but he persevered.

Game Ball to Coach Tomlin, Russ, good googly mooly, ah hell - everybody gets a damn game ball except Broderick Jones. Come big fella I know it's not your position but you need to step up since we have no other options at RT!!!

FU to the refs. The lopsided calls nearly costs the Steelers the game and even though @Omar10213245 felt I was being a whiny ***** for noticing - apparently I wasn't wrong. I still like my brother Omar - we cannot always agree.

In closing, I would, however, put Justin in on the QB sneak situational plays but I think we can clearly see the difference between our two QBs now. If you can't, well I just don't know what to say about that...

You are out of your gourd

Guess who else played his role...Justin Fields holding a clipboard & taking notes from a proper professional QB
The title of this thread is “Game Balls, Game Goats, and FU’s …specific to the individuals responsible for the outcome of this game.
Neither Justin nor Canada fell under either of those categories yesterday.
Got it now?

That poster had since deleted his post.

Last edited:
Game ball to everyone on the Steelers. This was a complete win. Glad to see Russ settle down and just throw some dots. Looking at some replays of his dimes-the ones that look under thrown-were they? The 44 yard dime to Pickens looked outside shoulder to where either he catches it or it’s a PI call. I am looking forward to seeing his chemistry grow with the receivers. Did Mike Williams get on the plane back to New York last night?

Does anyone still think it was a good decision for the Steelers not to pick up Najee’s option year?
Najee is playing extremely well at the moment but he needed a fire lit. Possibly not picking up the 5th year option is responsible, at least partially.

RBs values aren't what they once were. Najee will likely resign at terms we can handle. If not we'll move on.

In closing, I would, however, put Justin in on the QB sneak situational plays but I think we can clearly see the difference between our two QBs now. If you can't, well I just don't know what to say about that...
I was thinking the same thing particularly when you factor in the reason we have not seen Russ was because of a blocking sled. A QB sneak at the goal line, I would think, would be very similar.

On the other hand Justin has had issues with the center exchange, and that would certainly suck at that part of the field. We had a new center in the game.

Does anyone still think it was a good decision for the Steelers not to pick up Najee’s option year?
Was a hard decide. Then you have a contract year we know how players shine up for that. Would he have been as motivated if he wasn’t? I dunno. I know his back ground of being a hard worker but at the same time I know he came from rough circumstances. Money motivates. Not dissing him but that is a NFL reality. So perhaps the team wanted another season to decide on if that is the right approach resigning him. It isn’t like they won’t have the money if they decide to go that path.

I was thinking the same thing particularly when you factor in the reason we have not seen Russ was because of a blocking sled. A QB sneak at the goal line, I would think, would be very similar.

On the other hand Justin has had issues with the center exchange, and that would certainly suck at that part of the field. We had a new center in the game.
Man!!! I was thinking that very same thing about the problems w/ his snap exchange issues but I want to think he can fix it...

I said it in the game day thread and I'll admit it here, again, I wanted to 'pull the plug' on Russ too early because he looked terrible in the early drives of the game - but he persevered.

Game Ball to Coach Tomlin, Russ, good googly mooly, ah hell - everybody gets a damn game ball except Broderick Jones. Come big fella I know it's not your position but you need to step up since we have no other options at RT!!!

FU to the refs. The lopsided calls nearly costs the Steelers the game and even though @Omar10213245 felt I was being a whiny ***** for noticing - apparently I wasn't wrong. I still like my brother Omar - we cannot always agree.

One interesting thing right before he dropped his first bomb to Pickens, Brooke Pryor had just tweeted out that Russ was talking things over with Art Smith and Terry Ault the QB coach. I think that is where the adjustment was made to start the air raid.

Last edited:

Here's my issue with the QB situation, if you limit one QB by not allowing audibles and/or the entire play book, but not the other, can you really evaluate them equally?

Here's my issue with the QB situation, if you limit one QB by not allowing audibles and/or the entire play book, but not the other, can you really evaluate them equally?
Fields would lose out right if that was equal. Wilson is far superior in that area.