• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

I just dont get the oline

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Three of the 5 have been together for going on three years. Frazier did not seem to be the issue. They played this exact same team in a ****** playoff game to end the season last year. Jones was coming along great. They looked better in the playoff game last year. Don't talk about scheme. Oline doesn't work that way. It's communication. Verbal before snap non verbal after. Tgen it's winning your battle. I will give them a little leeway for run. They changed that up a bit to outside zone. But every goddamn year it takes them 8 games to get better. How us it like this? I'm gonna have to calm down and just expect another kinda ****** year so I don't have to up my blood pressure meds. What a ******* joke.

Well, Jones was just getting completely dominated last night and I'm sure his injury isn't help. Either way, I really hope we don't see a second year regression.

Yeah, Jones was getting outright bullied out there on some plays. It's hard to attribute that to communication.

You're right in that the last couple years, it's taken the line about half the season to start performing, especially in the running game.

That definitely cannot continue to be the case.

Honestly, they probably should have made a change at OL coach in the off-season, but the late season improvement keeps saving Meyer's job.

Well, Jones was just getting completely dominated last night and I'm sure his injury isn't help. Either way, I really hope we don't see a second year regression.

Has there been a report that he has an injury? I saw a blurb on another site where he said after the game he skipped interviews because he had to talk to the doc. Easy to assume injury, but could just be sick or even just a way to duck questions after a miserable night. If he was injured and it was before the game, he should not have been in there (**** playing through injury, he will get someone hurt playing that poorly). If it happened in game, shoulda been pulled. But his first whiff was very early in the game so I am doubtful it happened in game. Course, if he was sick or injured and did not tell anyone as young players will do...anyway, he was bad last night. I doubt we will ever know if there were circumstances that led to it or not. What I do know is if he keeps playing like that someone in the backfield is going to get hurt.

Has there been a report that he has an injury? I saw a blurb on another site where he said after the game he skipped interviews because he had to talk to the doc. Easy to assume injury, but could just be sick or even just a way to duck questions after a miserable night. If he was injured and it was before the game, he should not have been in there (**** playing through injury, he will get someone hurt playing that poorly). If it happened in game, shoulda been pulled. But his first whiff was very early in the game so I am doubtful it happened in game. Course, if he was sick or injured and did not tell anyone as young players will do...anyway, he was bad last night. I doubt we will ever know if there were circumstances that led to it or not. What I do know is if he keeps playing like that someone in the backfield is going to get hurt.

He's been wearing a brace on his right elbow throughout camp, so there is "something" there, but it's hard to determine how much it might be affecting his play.

Maybe its just me....but I noticed a drop off in his game during the last 4-6 weeks of the season last year.

i attributed it to the dreaded "rookie wall"...now I have my doubts......he is not the same guy that he was when he was in consideration for Rookie of the Year early on...

Dan Moore Jr. is the least of this teams worries...

Last edited:
Three of the 5 have been together for going on three years. Frazier did not seem to be the issue. They played this exact same team in a ****** playoff game to end the season last year. Jones was coming along great. They looked better in the playoff game last year. Don't talk about scheme. Oline doesn't work that way. It's communication. Verbal before snap non verbal after. Tgen it's winning your battle. I will give them a little leeway for run. They changed that up a bit to outside zone. But every goddamn year it takes them 8 games to get better. How us it like this? I'm gonna have to calm down and just expect another kinda ****** year so I don't have to up my blood pressure meds. What a ******* joke.

Jumping the rookies from position to position is ****=ing nuts. It’s hard enough to get acclimated to the speed of the game yet alone new positions weekly.

Having a piss poor OL coach is one thing

Having an OC that allows it is another

Having a HC insist on it is ****-ing mind blowing.!!!

When Kansas City stole Creed Humphrey, they didn’t position-flex him.

Seems like all I hear about is position flexibility and yet, our OL shows up undeveloped and below the line…………… go figure ?

Salute the nation

Last edited:
Jumping the rookies from position to position is ****=ing nuts. It’s hard enough to get acclimated to the speed of the game yet alone new positions weekly.

Having a piss poor OL coach is one thing

Having an OC that allows it is another

Having a HC insist on it is ****-ing mind blowing.!!!

When Kansas City stool Creed Humphrey, they didn’t position-flex him.

Seems like all I hear about is position flexibility and yet, our OL shows up undeveloped and below the line…………… go figure ?

Salute the nation
Quoted for the truth. Broderick was well below the line last night but he will be better at Left Tackle. Troy was bad preseason week one but they are going Brodrick and Troy. Moore seems to be the best of the lot in the games but we all hate him so he will.be gone. If my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle. We'll I guess that phrase is different now considering the present world we live in. 🤣

Agreed, and it makes one ponder, "what kind of team is Tomlin running where an OLman plays so ineptly, so poor, so horrendous, and remains in the game as a starter?" Is such play acceptable? Was he that hurt? Then why was he playing if he was? I guess in Tomlin's world, it's OK to attempt to play so horribly? What can the valid excuse be? He's a former 1st round selection, and he plays THAT horribly? In his 2nd year? That's one "loose ship" he's playing for. Maybe he will get his ping pong privileges taken away.

Agreed, and it makes one ponder, "what kind of team is Tomlin running where an OLman plays so ineptly, so poor, so horrendous, and remains in the game as a starter?" Is such play acceptable? Was he that hurt? Then why was he playing if he was? I guess in Tomlin's world, it's OK to attempt to play so horribly? What can the valid excuse be? He's a former 1st round selection, and he plays THAT horribly? In his 2nd year? That's one "loose ship" he's playing for. Maybe he will get his ping pong privileges taken away.
I didn't know Tomlin gave the players back the ping pong table. When did he do that?

I didn't know Tomlin gave the players back the ping pong table. When did he do that?
I'd have to look into it, but I am fairly confident he did restore ping pong privileges to the rookies, probably years ago. He NEVER took ping pong play away from the vets to begin with, which was the entire point.

Veterans banned players with under 4 years experience from playing games in the locker room. Tomlin then banned everyone from playing them.

The Steelers veterans recently issued a decree that banned those with less than four years experience from playing the games

Safety Ryan Clark said that the idea behind the ban on younger players was that they needed to earn the right to play them, something Roethlisberger echoed when he said the youngsters were “getting comfortable” too quickly. Clark explained Tomlin made the change because the Steelers weren’t doing a good job of sharing.

“From his point, it was dividing the team in a way,” Clark said, via Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “One sect of people couldn’t do a certain thing and he just wanted everybody to be together -- because we’re all in the losses together. We’re all in the business of fixing this problem together. He didn’t want anything to divide us.”

I am as guilty as anyone for poking fun at the ping pong ban, but then I never would have allowed them in the locker room in the first place.

It's preseason. You work on stuff. It seemed there was no offensive game plan other to get Wilson some throws early, which I did not like. Commit to the run, because they are going to have to lean on that for a bit until this line grows up. Let them smash some people. These young guys can do that.

This is where I disagree with the coaches. You have a lot of young guys on the OL. Put a bit of a game plan together and give them things they can have success at and build off of that success. Don't immediately come out in the pistol and ask the young players up front to start with where they are weaker. I don't think their approach last night was the best scenario for success.

But it's preseason. I don't mind the ugliness of it. Give the coaches something to grind on all week.

It's preseason. You work on stuff. It seemed there was no offensive game plan other to get Wilson some throws early, which I did not like. Commit to the run, because they are going to have to lean on that for a bit until this line grows up. Let them smash some people. These young guys can do that.

This is where I disagree with the coaches. You have a lot of young guys on the OL. Put a bit of a game plan together and give them things they can have success at and build off of that success. Don't immediately come out in the pistol and ask the young players up front to start with where they are weaker. I don't think their approach last night was the best scenario for success.

But it's preseason. I don't mind the ugliness of it. Give the coaches something to grind on all week.
This term game plan. When exactly have the Steelers in your experience executed a game plan. Regardless of the OC they have a certain number of plays. They have played two of the better top third teams. But that is a lot of the schedule. Close to four quarters of pre season ball here the blue print is quite clear. Get the Steelers to third and long. Lock down their middling talent at receiver. Bring one more then they can block. Sack. Or rally to the dump off pass to the back which has been under big duress. Getting blown off the ball is not a game plan fix. It's a coach fix which we have never seen here.

This term game plan. When exactly have the Steelers in your experience executed a game plan. Regardless of the OC they have a certain number of plays. They have played two of the better top third teams. But that is a lot of the schedule. Close to four quarters of pre season ball here the blue print is quite clear. Get the Steelers to third and long. Lock down their middling talent at receiver. Bring one more then they can block. Sack. Or rally to the dump off pass to the back which has been under big duress. Getting blown off the ball is not a game plan fix. It's a coach fix which we have never seen here.
Ron Erhardt?

I don't disagree with you. But it's preseason. I'm old enough to remember watching the Steelers in the 70s during preseason. There were some games in which if you would have been in a coma or something and didn't know how good they were and woke up and watched them, you would not have thought they were a Super Bowl team.

I don't disagree with you. But it's preseason. I'm old enough to remember watching the Steelers in the 70s during preseason. There were some games in which if you would have been in a coma or something and didn't know how good they were and woke up and watched them, you would not have thought they were a Super Bowl team.
The Pats used to sleep walk through the first 1/4 of the season in their weak *** division. Figure out their problems. But here is the difference. Those 70s Steelers and Pats teams had coaches who could teach. Any real issues the Steelers have will be fixed next February to April.

The Pats used to sleep walk through the first 1/4 of the season in their weak *** division. Figure out their problems. But here is the difference. Those 70s Steelers and Pats teams had coaches who could teach. Any real issues the Steelers have will be fixed next February to April.
They also had players who could learn. It takes both.

These are all uber athletes most of them are massively coachable. In my experience watching this team coached by Tomlin I recall Munchak taking raw talent that had underperformed and making it a strength. I don't recall any other position group where wow that looks like trouble and by Gane six you are going. You know what maybe not the strength of the team but they are top 15 in league. If you recall an instant I'd love to hear it.

Someday the built excuses are going to where too thin. The music will stop and Mike Tomlin will be left without a chair. If he doesn't go directly to a network he will be snapped up within days. But if they don't have a built in structure of high quality assistant coaches........it won't take long to realize he is just a great talker. The difference btw. Me and Lloyd is that I don't want to be right. Just think I am.

Someday the built excuses are going to where too thin. The music will stop and Mike Tomlin will be left without a chair. If he doesn't go directly to a network he will be snapped up within days. But if they don't have a built in structure of high quality assistant coaches........it won't take long to realize he is just a great talker. The difference btw. Me and Lloyd is that I don't want to be right. Just think I am.
You may be right.

But it's still preseason.

Sure, the Steelers have had underperforming players for the past decade, even with Ben, although those same guys performed well late in games when they threw our the playbook.

Why didn't our coaches/FO draft the same smart/capable players that they used to?