• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Non Steelers Preseason Games Thread

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
starting a thread for any comments from other preseason games. Who looks good who looks bad, etc.

Two games tonight at 7

Carolina at New England on NFL Network - already announced Bryce Young won't play for Car but Drake Maye will play for NE. If Young isn't playing then I'm guessing Dionte won't play much

Detroit and Giants - practices had some fights during the week.

starting a thread for any comments from other preseason games. Who looks good who looks bad, etc.

Two games tonight at 7

Carolina at New England on NFL Network - already announced Bryce Young won't play for Car but Drake Maye will play for NE. If Young isn't playing then I'm guessing Dionte won't play much

Detroit and Giants - practices had some fights during the week.
Is Bryce Young hurt? If not, I can't figure out why he wouldn't start this game. Carolina was the worst team in the league last season and Young was one of the worst QBs.

Hooker runs over a Giant

and might be injured

Last edited:
I hope they sat Bryce Young because it was a wet field. Otherwise I don't get it. He had a rough rookie year and you are installing a new offense. Get him the reps.

They reduce preseason from 4 to 3 games. You would think the snaps per game would go up, but last year starters barely played across the league. The trend now is to have joint practices with other teams and that's where you supposedly get in the reps. I disagree, A game is a game.

Everyone assumes these coaches are really smart. Most aren't at all. They are listening to "experts" who have never played and advise load management strategies. You get precious few padded practices and the games are the are wasted.

The steelers played their starters a lot last year but it was pointless because other teams benched their guys. It's become a group think failure. Even if you want to play your starters it's almost not worth it if the other team has 3rd stringers out they by the 3rd drive.

The result is that the first few weeks of regular season are crap. Everyone is so excited about football being back that they barely notice how sloppy the play is for a few weeks.

I don't know if anybody watched the offseason Hard Knocks with the Giants but I would not have been happy as a Giants fan. They had no idea what to do with Saquon. They assumed they couldn't afford him but then the salary cap went up. Way up. Then they pursued a strategy of pretending they wanted to pay him while hoping he left.

The owner would poke his head in the GM's office from time to time and tell him how he'd be upset if they lost Saauon. Especially if he went to a rival like the Eagles. The GM then assured him the Eagles were out on Saquon.

They have no plan for Daniel Jones. They really like Daniel....unless they could have gotten somebody else. They tried to trade up to get Daniels or Maye. When they couldn't do it the attitude was Oh Well, i guess we're going with Jones. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

They acknowledged they had to fix the OL and did so with a pair of mediocre free agents. This allowed them to draft skill players and draft WR Malik Nabors. He's a good player but they could have had a franchise OT and got a good WR later.

I think Daboll was spoiled by having Josh Allen. Allen is a special talent that allowed the bills to win with a subpar OL and not much run game.

I hope they sat Bryce Young because it was a wet field. Otherwise I don't get it. He had a rough rookie year and you are installing a new offense. Get him the reps.

They reduce preseason from 4 to 3 games. You would think the snaps per game would go up, but last year starters barely played across the league. The trend now is to have joint practices with other teams and that's where you supposedly get in the reps. I disagree, A game is a game.
The coaches are doing nothing to support having more than 1-2 preseason games with how little they play starters. Bad and rookie QBs are sitting just because they are starters. As you said, in a new offense and with inexperience/poor performance, get game reps in as much as possible.

I don't know if anybody watched the offseason Hard Knocks with the Giants but I would not have been happy as a Giants fan. They had no idea what to do with Saquon. They assumed they couldn't afford him but then the salary cap went up. Way up. Then they pursued a strategy of pretending they wanted to pay him while hoping he left.

They have no plan for Daniel Jones. They really like Daniel....unless they could have gotten somebody else. They tried to trade up to get Daniels or Maye. When they couldn't do it the attitude was Oh Well, i guess we're going with Jones. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

They acknowledged they had to fix the OL and did so with a pair of mediocre free agents. This allowed them to draft skill players and draft WR Malik Nabors. He's a good player but they could have had a franchise OT and got a good WR later.

I think Daboll was spoiled by having Josh Allen. Allen is a special talent that allowed the bills to win with a subpar OL and not much run game.
That description of the Giants feels like what the Steelers were trying at the end of Roethlisberger's career and the start of Pickett's. I only saw a few clips of Hard Knocks and the organization seemed relatively clueless. Jones is also a perfect example if you are not all-in on a QB to not give them a ridiculous contract.

Great point about Josh Allen as well. IMO, he's in the mold of a Roethlisberger or Favre and that is my favorite style of QB to watch. The gunslinger mentality is just fun week in and out, even if they frustrate you sometimes. The Bills missed a huge opportunity with Allen and now seem to be in a transition phase where they have some significant holes in the roster and won't be as good as they were for the past few seasons.

I don't know how the Bears will perform this year, but they sure did a nice job to build an offense around Caleb Williams. They have some solid pieces along the OL, a decent 1-2 with Swift and Herbert in the backfield, and then a really nice group of receivers with Moore, Allen, Odunze, and Kmet at TE.

Everyone assumes these coaches are really smart. Most aren't at all. They are listening to "experts" who have never played and advise load management strategies. You get precious few padded practices and the games are the are wasted.

The steelers played their starters a lot last year but it was pointless because other teams benched their guys. It's become a group think failure. Even if you want to play your starters it's almost not worth it if the other team has 3rd stringers out they by the 3rd drive.

The result is that the first few weeks of regular season are crap. Everyone is so excited about football being back that they barely notice how sloppy the play is for a few weeks.

Players are making too much money now for teams to risk major injury in what ultimately are practice games.

Teams are willing to tolerate the lack of actual game reps going into the season, knowing their opponents are in the same situation.

Preseason has become nothing more than opportunities for rookies to transition to the NFL and those players on the fringe to compete for roster spots.

The owner would poke his head in the GM's office from time to time and tell him how he'd be upset if they lost Saauon. Especially if he went to a rival like the Eagles. The GM then assured him the Eagles were out on Saquon.

Without looking up the stats, I believe the Bills found a running game as the season progressed last season. I recall a few games where they ran the ball down opponents' throats towards the end of the year. (They gouged Dallas for 266 rushing yards and us for 179 and KC for 182 in the playoffs.) I expect to see the Bills rush like they did end of last season, but who knows?

Is Bryce Young hurt? If not, I can't figure out why he wouldn't start this game. Carolina was the worst team in the league last season and Young was one of the worst QBs.
He had the WORST OL, yes, even worse than ours, last year. No WRs, suspect TEs and sub par RBs. Let's see what he can do this year - even though they got fleeced taking DJ from us...

Read a comment on here (not this thread) yesterday. Basically, it was a complaint about our production during the first pre-season game...

Let's recap some of the scores thus far:

Lions score - 3 points give up 14
Ravens score - 13 points give up 16
Bills score - 6 points give up 33
Browns score - 10 points give up 23
Bengals score - 14 points give up 17
Chiefs score - 13 points give up 26
49ers score - 13 points give up 17

And the Steelers???

Steelers score - 12 points give up 20

The sky is falling!!! Find shelter now!!! The apocalypse is near!!! Whoa is me!!! And there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth!!!

Read a comment on here (not this thread) yesterday. Basically, it was a complaint about our production during the first pre-season game...

And the Steelers???

The sky is falling!!! Find shelter now!!! The apocalypse is near!!! Whoa is me!!! And there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth!!!
My want is they (first stringers) complete drives they don’t have to win or blow a preseason game open. But I want to see Smith and company get the new offense down and cohesive before game 1.

Like to see more emphasis on this moving forward.

He had the WORST OL, yes, even worse than ours, last year. No WRs, suspect TEs and sub par RBs. Let's see what he can do this year - even though they got fleeced taking DJ from us...

he's a bust. you can acknowledge it now, or later, but eventually, it will be obvious to all.

And the Steelers???

Cats are laying with dogs! And drag queens at the Last Supper!

Jags had it together, looking like a real team after colossal fail last year.

Judon to the Falcons, lol. He was the heart and soul of the NE defense. Seeing the without even a pulse is glorious. I hope Maye shows flashes for 3 years but bombs and they waste 3 more years.

Interesting note. Harbaugh inherited a chargers team with 4 players from the TCU team that beat cheating Michigan team by using dummy hand signals and calls. Wonder if that's awkward.

Eagles vs Pats tonight at 7 on NFL Network. See Kenny in midnight green.

Sorry I keep getting a pop up when I post and hit it again.