• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph vs Pickett

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Rudolph first 130 passes at age 24.06
83/130 897 yards 9 tds 3 ints

Pickett first 127 passes at age 24.118
87/127 771 yards 2 td 7 int

One is clearly better than the other.

I hear what you are saying but not going to be seeing a bench & play scenario as of yet.

Salute the nation

One clearly ran a different offense than this crap.

Put Mason in the next 4 games. They brought in 2 other quarterbacks for a reason.

Just to get it out of everyone's system.

Last edited:

Rudolph since that cherry-picked point: 153/254 for 1469 yards with 7 TDs and 8 INTs.

One never started as a rookie. One has clearly gotten worse, not better.

Let's see how the other does.

Rudolph since that cherry-picked point: 153/254 for 1469 yards with 7 TDs and 8 INTs.

One never started as a rookie. One has clearly gotten worse, not better.

Let's see how the other does.
Those stats are still better than Pickett. If you take out the one horrible and infamous Browns game Rudolph has been solid. Last two starts decent.

I’m not saying Pickett isn’t going to get better. I am saying maybe Rudolph was better than we gave credit for. He’s not Roethlisberger and that’s a tall order to compare to. But when you start giving him fair (not cherry picked) stats you see fans were very short sighted and unfair.

I keep telling everyone that Rudolph’s start in this offense was phenomenal for a first time starter … people were focused on the yards only… his TD % was in the top 100 all time after that first year…

That being said its regressed every year as we moved further into the cowardly dipshit offense… you could clone joe Montana and Dan marino and I’m not sure they can have success with the handcuffs we have on the offense tge first 3 quarters

I have been on the Rudolph train for a while. He is getting the shaft because Tomlin has a dog house. He isn't terrible. He is better than MT, and for now (note that) better than KP8.

MT was a waste of a pick up. His money could have gone to more important areas.

Put in MR and see what we have.

Those stats are still better than Pickett. If you take out the one horrible and infamous Browns game Rudolph has been solid. Last two starts decent.

I’m not saying Pickett isn’t going to get better. I am saying maybe Rudolph was better than we gave credit for. He’s not Roethlisberger and that’s a tall order to compare to. But when you start giving him fair (not cherry picked) stats you see fans were very short sighted and unfair.
Yeah, those stats are still better than Pickett, barely: a 72.4 passer rating versus Kenny's 66.7. Impressive. And Rudolph's last start wasn't "decent," it was a **** performance against one of the worst teams in the league last year.

You're trying to use Pickett's 3+ game sample size like it's the gospel. The guy is a rookie. Three of those interceptions came in his first NFL action against the Jets, after his coach gave him zero preparation time. Rudolph had already been in the league for over a year before he played a single down. You don't see a difference there?

Don't worry, bud. Your nephew will get a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere else next year. And wherever that is, he'll most likely settle into the career backup role he's carved out for himself. After all, $4-5 million a year to carry a clipboard and never get hit is a pretty good gig.

They all suck
Remember when Rudolph was beat out by Duck Hodges? He isn't good, none of these guys are the future.
Kenny has some good throws/ plays but the majority of the time he doesn't look like he should be on an NFL field, similar to Najee Harris.
I was much more optimistic a few weeks ago with Pickett. Whats the Interception to TD record in the league? Kenny could set a new bar.

He’s a rookie. Some other all time greats had ****** starts to their careers, so it’s obvious Pickett is going to follow the same path.

I have been on the Rudolph train for a while. He is getting the shaft because Tomlin has a dog house. He isn't terrible. He is better than MT, and for now (note that) better than KP8.

MT was a waste of a pick up. His money could have gone to more important areas.

Put in MR and see what we have.
I agree with you about most things, but you're just wrong about this.

Putting in MR accomplishes nothing. We know what MR is, there's no need to see what we have. Keeping KP in allows him to gain the valuable NFL starting experience he needs, so he can get better.

KP has the potential (note that) to become the leader of the franchise. MR has the potential to be a quality career backup, or to be a below-average starter for some team with no other options. The Steelers are not that team.

I'm not giving up on Pickett yet, just not impressed from what I've seen. Pickens and Friermuth are really his only reliable targets, he has no running game to fall back on, and a defense that somehow defies statistical odds by dropping atleast 4 gift interceptions. So he isn't getting much help I will admit that.

I'm not giving up on Pickett yet, just not impressed from what I've seen. Pickens and Friermuth are really his only reliable targets, he has no running game to fall back on, and a defense that somehow defies statistical odds by dropping atleast 4 gift interceptions. So he isn't getting much help I will admit that.
So clearly KP just needs to play vs our D, or one like it (DBs that can’t catch)

Obviously the Dolphins practice squad defensive backfield was too much for Kenny and the high powered Canuck offense to overcome.

The **** show continues…

I keep telling everyone that Rudolph’s start in this offense was phenomenal for a first time starter … people were focused on the yards only… his TD % was in the top 100 all time after that first year…

That being said its regressed every year as we moved further into the cowardly dipshit offense… you could clone joe Montana and Dan marino and I’m not sure they can have success with the handcuffs we have on the offense tge first 3 quarters
All I am saying is Rudolph got blasted and is hated by the simpletons on this board for no apparent reason. I bet I could go back a couple years and look up some old posts and then see what they’re saying about KP to see if it lines up. But I doubt it. There’s two big differences. 1. Rudolph had to step in for Roethlisberger. 2. Half this board is Pitt fans.

He’s a rookie. Some other all time greats had ****** starts to their careers, so it’s obvious Pickett is going to follow the same path.
Obviously a lot of hyperbole on each end of the issue, but people definitely get too high or too low on a guy after a few games… or even a season or two… Troy was a Bum after a season… Kendrell Bell was going to the Hall of Fame…

Yeah, those stats are still better than Pickett, barely: a 72.4 passer rating versus Kenny's 66.7. Impressive. And Rudolph's last start wasn't "decent," it was a **** performance against one of the worst teams in the league last year.

You're trying to use Pickett's 3+ game sample size like it's the gospel. The guy is a rookie. Three of those interceptions came in his first NFL action against the Jets, after his coach gave him zero preparation time. Rudolph had already been in the league for over a year before he played a single down. You don't see a difference there?

Don't worry, bud. Your nephew will get a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere else next year. And wherever that is, he'll most likely settle into the career backup role he's carved out for himself. After all, $4-5 million a year to carry a clipboard and never get hit is a pretty good gig.
So 30/50 242 yards with 1/1 is a 💩 performance. What would a 32/44 257 yards with 1/3 be considered? Or 10/13 120 with 0/3?

I am using the first 130 attempts of Rudolph vs the first 127 attempts of Pickett. You are making excuses for Pickett but vilifying Rudolph. Why the double standard? Rudolph was thrown in at a younger age than Pickett and performed better. He was thrown in vs the Lions with Roethlisberger being a last minute covid scratch and he performed like 💩, remember? Why the excuses for Pickett but not Rudolph ? How about the perfect pass he threw to DJ but incongruously he stopped his route. Or the drive to win the game that Freiermuth fumbled to give the lions the ball back which would have been in FG for Boswell. But **** Rudolph, right?
Maybe all Rudolph will ever be is a backup. But I do know this. He played above the line when called upon and has been unfairly hated by the fan base.

Uh, why the comparison to Rudolph? Rudolph hasn’t accomplished anywhere near what Trubisky has. If Pickett is benched, Trubisky should be the QB. Unless there’s an injury, Rudolph is irrelevant to the QB conversation.

We should put all of our QBs on the field. Line them up at wideout. Run some reverse lateral flea flicker $hit. It might be unstoppable.

Mason was not a rookie he was in his second year and not playing in this whatever the hell it is offense.
Kenny is a rookie and will make mistakes,
that’s a given. This offensive game plan is horrible and does not fit our skill players.
Again, middle of the field neglected.
This is not a good football team but one that’s going through growing pains with their rookie QB. There is zero run game and a weak offensive game plan so what would you expect?
I think we need to be patent as I’ve mentioned numerous times with Kenny.
Remember Elway, both Mannings, Bradshaw rookie years. They were not good. Hell even the messiah in Jacksonville Trev Lawrence didn’t have a good rookie year and all those guys were first game starters unlike Kenny.
Stop thinking he’s going to save the season because he’s not. He needs to go through the bad as well as the good.