• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers will NOT be on the field for National Anthem.

We weren't divided under Bush? That's news to me. Half the country was under protest over the war. Code pink was at every major event. And the occupy movement formed because of the Wall Street malfeasance.

But yeah. Keep telling the lie that it's all the Kenyan Muslim President's fault.

Using your logic, we've been divided since the 70s...the protests over the war, etc.

My examples were all racial, besides illegal immigration - which Liberals always make about race.

If you think the Kenyan didn't exacerbate the RACIAL divide in this country, you're delusional.

Big Ben: Steelers weren't trying to disrespect the troops
Ben Roethlisberger addressed the Steelers' decision to not take the field for the National Anthem.

Bryan DeArdo - 17 minutes ago 1
Ben Roethlisberger addressed the Steelers' decision to not take the field for the National Anthem on Sunday while making it clear that he and his teammates were not trying to upset anyone associated with the nation's military.

"By no means, no way, shape or form, was there any disrespect intended for our troops and people that serve this country," Roethlisberger said following Pittsburgh's 23-17 loss to the Bears. "We all have the upmost respect for them, obviously. They give us the freedom to play this game."

Roethlisberger was asked how the team came about coming to that decision.

"Last night, obviously with all the issues going on, if you will, we had a players’ only meeting after the team meeting last night to discuss what we were going go to do," he said. "We knew some guys wanted to take a knee, some guys wanted to stand. We said whatever we do, we need to make sure we stay unified as one group, because that’s what we’re about and that’s what we should be about, being together and staying together one unit, one brotherhood.

"So instead of having some guys kneel and some guys stand, the conclusion was made by everybody to stay in the locker room, stay in the tunnel, if you will, and show our respect that way."

Big Ben was also asked if anyone took offense to Alejandro Villanueva -- a military veteran -- and his decision to take the field to stand for the National Anthem.

"No."

Lastly, Roethlisberger was asked if Saturday night's players' only meeting took some of the focus away from the team's preparation for Sunday's game in Chicago.

"Probably by lying if I said no a little bit. Obviously a lot going on in the state of the NFL," Roethlisberger said. "We can’t make excuses. I need to play better football."

If you think the Kenyan didn't exacerbate the RACIAL divide in this country, you're delusional.
Calling President Obama 'the Kenyan' doesn't exacerbate the RACIAL divide in this country, not one bit.

Steel Vanguard used that term in jest, you walked right into it.

Calling President Obama 'the Kenyan' doesn't exacerbate the RACIAL divide in this country, not one bit.

If you took time to read the thread and the posts Tibs, you'd see I was quoting Steel Vanguard. By all means, him calling the Obama the Kenyan (even in jest) is just fine. Like all Liberals, you don't care about the content, just the voice it comes from.

On Saturday night, during an appearance at the Global Citizen Festival in New York City, the singer Stevie Wonder kneeled in prayer. “Tonight, I’m taking a knee for America. But not just one knee. I’m taking both knees,” he said.

Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee said on Fox News, “I wish that some of these players who get on one knee would get on both knees and thank God they live in the United States.”

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Some group with an awful lot of influence has grasped ahold of our collective emotions and are manipulating them to the brink of disastrous results. Very sad indeed.

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about the way they did it. On one hand I wish there wasn't any sort of protest so it annoys me. On the other hand, I think not coming out is probably better than sitting down during it. I gather that there was some disagreement among pockets of Steeler players who may have wanted to sit today and this was the compromise. I don't have any problem at all with all the other teams who stood for the anthem and interlocked arms to show solidarity. That's probably the best way to do it. Makes your statement without being disrespectful.

I really liked Tomlin's statement on it. It was not prepared, not generic and heart felt. He is annoyed by it all from both sides and wasn't afraid to show it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMM
Using your logic, we've been divided since the 70s...the protests over the war, etc.

My examples were all racial, besides illegal immigration - which Liberals always make about race.

Dude. The LA riots happened in 1992. Under Bush the first.

You're delusional.

Stand up you son of a *****, you’re fired! I ******* love it!!!! You kneeling thug punk ***** need to show a little respect for the country that makes you millionaires, you ungrateful *****. You don’t like our flag? Go play in Zimbabwe. You think our police are too tough? Try not breaking the law. **** you, NFL. You have a **** product. You have turned it into flag football. And **** you, Tomlin, you suck! You are a ****** coach. You can’t beat the ****** teams and you choke and can’t game plan against playoff teams.

I wish the media was as interested in showing the national anthem before every game prior to these protests as they have been since they started.

Saluting the flag is now a protest movement

Alejandro-Villanueva-595x383.jpg

Fire Tomlin!

GettyImages-480100204.0.jpg

i think it's preposterous and misplaced for millionaire professional athletes refuse to stand for the National Anthem. That being said, I still hold them in higher regard than the Mike Vicks and Kevin Hardys of the NFL. Let's keep things in perspective, people.

I wish the media was as interested in showing the national anthem before every game prior to these protests as they have been since they started.

I wish the media would stop over sensationalizing and dividing Americans in an area that unifies us.
There are other platforms and solutions to whatever injustice these players feel. They have the money and plenty of time in the off season to impact their communities in a positive light.

The bad few and the media are attacking the last few remnants where regardless of political beliefs, we can set our differences aside for 3 hours and enjoy sport. Today, that essence was tarnished.

I don't know how it'll impact the season. But with the disturbing trend of declining ratings, the nfl better fix something soon.

I wish the media would stop over sensationalizing and dividing Americans in an area that unifies us.

That's why they are doing it MTC..... Sad but true.

Steeler fans need to stick together and overcome this BS and see it for what it is.

After Election Day, I bet they are once again at commercial when the National Anthem is being sung

Last edited:
That's why they are doing it MTC..... Sad but true.

Steeler fans need to stick together and fight this BS

Agreed. With the last comment :)

Stupid media can go suck it

Reactions: JMM
Why are all you making this into a ******* Trump thing. I don't care what Trump said. If they want to respond to him on twitter or speak against him on their own time I'm fine with it. But for 3 hours on Sunday play football and leave the politics at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app