• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Time to Rank where Kenny Pickett Belongs in the Steeler's All-Time QB List

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I know a lot of people are unfairly comparing KP to Big Ben, as BB was special and a winner out of the box. KP is good in the 4th quarter and in ball control, so he has value, but where does he rank for me all time on the Steeler's All-Time list of QBs?

1. Ben Roethlisberger
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Kordell Stewart
4. Bobby Layne
5. Neil O'Donnell
6. Tommy Maddox
7. Bubby Brister
8. Kenny Pickett
9. Mike Tomczak
10. Ed Brown

Obviously room for KP to move up, but as we stand today, he is solidly 8th in my book. Everyone above him won in the playoffs (minus Layne who is a HOFer, though he won 3 championships with the Lions and made it to 4). If he wins a playoff game this year, he'd jump to 6th. Has to make it to a SB to crack the top 5.

Where does KP rank on your scale? Unitas is not eligible since he never played a down for us.

*EDIT* Numbers from here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/career-passing.htm

Last edited:
They are grooming him to be Odonnell 2.0. My guess is he ends up fifth or sixth before he leaves and has greater success elsewhere…

Did you forget about Dick Shiner and Kent Nix?
Nope, nor did I forget about Malone or Kruczek.

Shiner and Nix have less yardage than KP currently has

Shiner 3-16-1 (14th)
Nix 3-9 (17th)

Their records alone removed them from my top 10.

KP is currently 13th and will be 12th all time in passing yardage for the Steelers this year (400yds behind Nelson). Outside shot at 11th but is 1800 yds behind Ed Brown.

The only QBs I didn't consider in the top 10 and above KP, are (passing yardage position listed after the name):

Jim Finks 7
Mark Malone 8
Bill Nelson 12

Last edited:
I know a lot of people are unfairly comparing KP to Big Ben, as BB was special and a winner out of the box. KP is good in the 4th quarter and in ball control, so he has value, but where does he rank for me all time on the Steeler's All-Time list of QBs?

1. Ben Roethlisberger
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Kordell Stewart
4. Bobby Layne
5. Neil O'Donnell
6. Tommy Maddox
7. Bubby Brister
8. Kenny Pickett
9. Mike Tomczak
10. Ed Brown

Obviously room for KP to move up, but as we stand today, he is solidly 8th in my book. Everyone above him won in the playoffs (minus Layne who is a HOFer, though he won 3 championships with the Lions and made it to 4). If he wins a playoff game this year, he'd jump to 6th. Has to make it to a SB to crack the top 5.

Where does KP rank on your scale? Unitas is not eligible since he never played a down for us.
Leftwich, Batch, and Vick were all 1000% better than Kenny

I still put Bradshaw above Ben. That is nothing against Ben, but it's 4-0 vs 2-1. And...Bradshaw came up big in the biggest moments. After they beat the Cardinals with that great drive in 43, Ben just didn't as much in those big spots, imo.

Bradshaw was right when he said he had big throws in every 4th quarter of each SB he was in.

As per Pickett...perhaps we got spoiled with Ben, as he took off right away. Better talent around him, clearly better coaching. Pickett may be taking he more traditional path of young QBs. I hope so, because, not that it matters, but I'm beginning to doubt that. If it is true he isn't seeing open guys or won't take the chance, ehh.

I agree all 3 QBs are currently better than KP for their play before coming to Pittsburgh, but as a Steeler here is where they rank in yardage:

Batch 22nd
Leftwich 43rd
Vick 59th

Kent Graham is 35th

That's the most absurd thing I've heard today.
Actually these head over heels worse than Joe Blow from posters is annoying. Let the guy have an appropriate amount of time before you stamp him.

Just ridiculous knee jerk opinions. What makes them ridiculous is the definite nature of them. If someone says right now yada yada sure. But beyond that I don't know and Joe Blow doesn't know.

Unless someone on this board is Nostradamus...

Let me help they aren't.

1. Ben Roethlisberger
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Kordell Stewart
4. Bobby Layne
5. Neil O'Donnell
6. Tommy Maddox
7. Bubby Brister
8. Kenny Pickett
9. Mike Tomczak
10. Ed Brown

I can't put him on a scale with Canaduh and the HC guiding a restrictive process.

That is like saying in this race this guy did this in comparison but we put some ankle weights on him prior to yelling go.

right now Kenny looks about like Batch on his good days and Tomczak on the other days

The Steeler QB list all time for me looks something like
1A) Bradshaw
1B) Big Ben

everyone else INCOMPLETE-where KP falls

Honorable mention to worst ever Neil O'Donnell

I add more significance in rankings to the weighty games, obviously

How can you rank the guy in the top 10 when he hasn't even played or won a playoff game yet?

A lot of playoff appearances and Super Bowl wins on that list and all Kenny has is 3/4 of a winning season under his belt.

Hearken back to the early 70s - Bradshaw, Hanratty, Gilliam. This board would have been referring to Bradshaw as Abner as did the Steelernation of yore.

KFP hasn't completed his second year. Yes, he looks timid. Yes, he throws inexplicable passes. But sometimes he shows up, and while it might be late in the game, he drags this stupid ******* 'offense' across the goal line.

Is KFP Bradshaw? Mahomes? Even Stroud? Hardly. But if the planets were to align I can visualize hardware at some point. It IS a team sport.

Hearken back to the early 70s - Bradshaw, Hanratty, Gilliam. This board would have been referring to Bradshaw as Abner as did the Steelernation of yore.

KFP hasn't completed his second year. Yes, he looks timid. Yes, he throws inexplicable passes. But sometimes he shows up, and while it might be late in the game, he drags this stupid ******* 'offense' across the goal line.

Is KFP Bradshaw? Mahomes? Even Stroud? Hardly. But if the planets were to align I can visualize hardware at some point. It IS a team sport.
Hell Joe Fricken Flacco won a SB why not Kenny ******* ⛏️.

1. Ben Roethlisberger
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Kordell Stewart
4. Bobby Layne
5. Neil O'Donnell
6. Tommy Maddox
7. Bubby Brister
8. Kenny Pickett
9. Mike Tomczak
10. Ed Brown

I would probably have Kenny 9 behind Mark Malone and ahead of Dick Shiner for the fact his name is Dick Shiner.

Surprised. I thought the poster would put Dick Shiner higher on the list. After all he was shining Rudy's dick for months.

Meh Id flip O’Donnell and Layne since Odonnell got us to 1 sb and two afccgs and probably flip Brister and Tomczak, but I dock Brister for stupid stuff he said lol

Now what if we were ranking just first two seasons?

Ben is obviously 1 by a Grand Canyon or two
#2 is probably Neil Odonnell
And if you take the first two seasons of the mid thirties Bobby Layne he probably is 3 for what he accomplished
Pickett edges out Vet Maddox for 4th… but to be fair, the steelers rarely start QBs in their first two seasons..