• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Training camp thread.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Feel free to place updates you read or saw.

What I read out of the gates.

Looks like Austin had a rough day with a concern on his catch radius. Which obviously isn't a concern if you catch the ball. Which he had trouble with day 1. Rust? Or a potential issue?? We'll see

Washington wasn't on the same page with a pass and missed it in limited play.

DJ and McFarland had nice catches from Pickett.

No shocker but Broderick started out of the gates as a second teamer. You will have to earn that start rookie. As expected Big Dot was second team G as well. Looks like Anderson was at RT and not C, too early to read into this knowing his position flexibility.

Dawson is getting early looks inside. An early position battle to keep an eye on.

Rudy the red nosed third stringer had the first INT of training camp.

Riley made some positive plays leaning him in the right direction on making the final 53. But let's see what happens when the pads are on.

Pickens made a nice play on PatPete that would have probably gotten a holding call real time. PatPete had a break up on another play as did Peezy Jr. Who ran stride for stride with Austin down the field. I would not be shocked to see him start out of the gates next to Wallace. Yes my way too much way to early knee jerk prediction.

I saw a video of an “absolute dime” by Pickett that in reality was terribly under thrown and the DB terribly mistimed his jump. I want the guy to succeed, but some people aren’t living in reality.

I saw a video of an “absolute dime” by Pickett that in reality was terribly under thrown and the DB terribly mistimed his jump. I want the guy to succeed, but some people aren’t living in reality.
I think the majority of fans are on taking a wait and see on Pickett. Does that one play temper your outlook of him overall? Because in reality there will be both negative and positive plays. We shall see how it transpires come the regular season. Which we will get a close up quick view against a formidable 49er defense game 1.

I think the majority of fans are on taking a wait and see on Pickett. Does that one play temper your outlook of him overall? Because in reality there will be both negative and positive plays. We shall see how it transpires come the regular season. Which we will get a close up quick view against a formidable 49er defense game 1.
No, my point was that the description of the pass as “an absolute dime” is not based on reality. The pass was horrible. This kid has been described by some Steelers homers as a phenom, a sensation, blah blah. The reality is he is mediocre at best until he proves otherwise. I am rooting for him to be the next great Steelers QB. Just too many putting the cart before the horse. He really needs to take a big step forward this season.

No, my point was that the description of the pass as “an absolute dime” is not based on reality. The pass was horrible. This kid has been described by some Steelers homers as a phenom, a sensation, blah blah. The reality is he is mediocre at best until he proves otherwise. I am rooting for him to be the next great Steelers QB. Just too many putting the cart before the horse. He really needs to take a big step forward this season.
Every highlight on twitter does this just like every awful new jersey announced is "fire"--speaking off, how about those bad sleeves on the Steelers new practice jerseys? Someone was mocking people today that "Justin Fields can't throw" in a padless practice in a drill with no linemen and no pass rush. It's just how it goes now.

Just too many putting the cart before the horse.

That is of course true, but keep in mind that "professional" commentators and mere fans both routinely and regularly espouse views on a player's NFL talent before he has played a down in the league.

Was those come back wins last season mediocre? I get he has a lot to prove but I thinking he is leaning in the right direction.

Don't argue with the rose colored glasses crowd. I made mention of the Heyward throw last year vs Atlanta was a better catch than pass. Not that it was a bad pass just had a guy wide open and Heyward had to track the ball to make a finger tip catch. Now if a defender was draped on Heywards back I would say he made a great throw and Heyward made a great catch. But the reality was that both defenders crashed down on the under route (great fake by Heyward) and Pickett should have laid it up as they caught Atlanta flat footed. And I am not saying it was a bad pass either. I am just saying there's a lot of H-Backs that might not catch that ball.

Don't argue with the rose colored glasses crowd. I made mention of the Heyward throw last year vs Atlanta was a better catch than pass. Not that it was a bad pass just had a guy wide open and Heyward had to track the ball to make a finger tip catch. Now if a defender was draped on Heywards back I would say he made a great throw and Heyward made a great catch. But the reality was that both defenders crashed down on the under route (great fake by Heyward) and Pickett should have laid it up as they caught Atlanta flat footed. And I am not saying it was a bad pass either. I am just saying there's a lot of H-Backs that might not catch that ball.
You do know he was referencing a video not debating anything I said. And not sure why anyone should give a **** what you debated way back when. You clearly hate to be wrong or debate. Best you stick to something else like pretending a bank salesman has what it takes to be a GM.

Last edited:
3 left with heat related issues today. Getting hot out there!

Oh Pickens ate Peezy Jr's lunch on this play.

Last edited:
Lol, this seems like it may draw a flag.
Pickens was putting opposing CB's on their arse last year. But yeah who knows where that penalty line triggers.

Last edited:
Saw the same exact video/title, and thought the same thing.
People like to stretch their takes on whatever for views. Not unlike writers for this site. This time of the year I usually try to ignore that and just enjoy the process and views. Because we all know what ultimately matters is what we see when the games are played.

I thought it was an intentional throw behind the DB. The point was the ball had some zip and not a floater.

I thought it was an intentional throw behind the DB. The point was the ball had some zip and not a floater.
Definitely could have been. One factor that might be forgot by fans here and there. Good point.👍